Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

He is a waste of space but to be fair Barcelona fully deserve the situation they are in and they have treated a number of their players abysmally in recent times. I would imagine when players like Haaland, Mbappe and Bellingham are considering their next move this is going to weigh heavily in making their decision and could really hurt Barca for years to come.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The two subheads on that article are:

"The club is looking into saving his wages, but the intention is to do a transfer"

and

"The club offers to him an exit to the club he's negotiated with for a low transfer fee"

If you don't want someone who 'isn't committed' how about pay him off now?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
As it reads, it seems as if Barca is rather pissed off about Dembele because they think him and his agents applied some kind of delaying tactics. they explicitly stated that the negotiations took place over almost 7 months in their statement.

I mean, it's obviously a new board but still one can definitely argue karma now bites them in the ass considering they had no issues with Dembele's ways when they signed him. Anyway, I think the club is better off without him anyway. Dembele himself, too, by the way. It was never a particularly great fit considering that Dembele is pretty much the opposite of a La Masia graduate.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Will not be a bad signing for Newcastle considering they don’t really care about money. It’s all fun coupons to them anyway. So just a free hit for them while they inevitably improve squad.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The two subheads on that article are:

"The club is looking into saving his wages, but the intention is to do a transfer"

and

"The club offers to him an exit to the club he's negotiated with for a low transfer fee"

If you don't want someone who 'isn't committed' how about pay him off now?
It is only about money, not about motivation, or professionalism, caring for the club, anything of the sort.
If Barca say he is "not committed to the project", all they mean is not willing to accept whatever offer they made (and given their current predicament it's not hard to imagine how much they're trying to lowball him).
And if they want to get rid of him now, it of course is to get some money back, not because they wouldn't want or need him to play anyway for the remainder of the season. Anything else is a lie. They still owe money to Dortmund too..

Jibbs

United shouldn't even touch him with a bean poll. don't want another Pogba, Martial, Rashford or Maguire in the team.

Nickelodeon

He’s the sort of player who’ll be a great success for clubs like Chelsea who usually find good value in the market. But if we were to sign him, he’ll stink up the place for the next 5 years.

Idxomer

Xavi's main tactic in attack has been "give it to Dembele and hope he does something", What's he gonna do now when he isn't playing?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Bunch of the rags saying he is off to Chelsea. Tuchel has spoken of his great admiration for him in the past in interviews. Could see it happening.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It would be hilarious if he joins Real Madrid for free and does well under Ancelotti.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He is a waste of space but to be fair Barcelona fully deserve the situation they are in and they have treated a number of their players abysmally in recent times. I would imagine when players like Haaland, Mbappe and Bellingham are considering their next move this is going to weigh heavily in making their decision and could really hurt Barca for years to come.
I have no idea why Bellingham is mentioned along Haaland and Mbappe. No one will buy him except Man Utd.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It is only about money, not about motivation, or professionalism, caring for the club, anything of the sort.
If Barca say he is "not committed to the project", all they mean is not willing to accept whatever offer they made (and given their current predicament it's not hard to imagine how much they're trying to lowball him).
And if they want to get rid of him now, it of course is to get some money back, not because they wouldn't want or need him to play anyway for the remainder of the season. Anything else is a lie. They still owe money to Dortmund too..
Not that I would put it past Barca that they'd try to lowball Dembele but apparently his agents want €40m annually. If that's the benchmark, then anything but trying to lowball him relatively speaking would be criminal. Dembele should be immensely grateful if somebody offered him half of that.

Gandalf

I have no idea why Bellingham is mentioned along Haaland and Mbappe. No one will buy him except Man Utd.
Just another highly rated young player, one of the first names that came to mind. You could easily throw in Tchoumani or Vlahovic. The point is, top players who are likely to have options will of course consider the obvious factors like salary and the potential to win trophies but when it gets down to breaking a tie between two or three attractive destinations the club with a reputation for trashing it's own players in public and shaming them into taking pay cuts to cover up gross incompetence by the board is likely to be the loser.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Give it to Pedri and hope he does something ?
They also have Fati and Gavi. Talentwise, they're fine. I don't think Dembele is more talented than Fati, Pedri and Gavi. And then there's also de Jong, Puig, etc.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
United should have done the same with Pogba in the summer. A simple, “if you don’t sign, we are not going to miss out on a fee”

We then could have signed a midfielder committed to the cause who we had no doubts wanted to be here and contribute.

Barcelona and United should be embarrassed at how badly they have been run.

Telsim

Shocked to see some people here actually want him at United. This guy is made out of glass. He can be the next Ronaldo for all I care, and he isn't, it means nothing when you spend more time on the physio table than on the grass. And his financial demands are borderline insane.

Just no. Give this a wide berth. He is the perfect fit for Newcastle though.

mctrials23

Permanently injured and seems to have the maturity of a 15 year old. Would basically undo any faith I had in the club moving in a new and better direction. I hope that Ronaldo was an Ole and "pre-reboot" signing and that we won't be making that sort of mistake in the future under RR and whoever takes over as manager.

Pep's Suit

I think people here overestimate Newcastle. If they didn't care about money then they would have offered £60m for Botman and £45m for Carlos and already have them in their squad. Dembele... Honestly I think he will join PSG if they move Icardi and Draxler.

OmarUnited4ever

is Dembele and his agent really asking for 40m annually?

not trying to defend him or his agent, 40m annually means 770K weekly, no club will ever pay him that, and his agent must know that surely, hence why I find this strange and bizarre.

But again stranger things happened.

Gazza

he never cared about the team and he is going to care and risk an injury when he is going to leave in a few months looking for big money... hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha.
if he doesnt believe in the project he is not going to play, as simple as that. he can choose to leave now to a project he likes (barça would accept 100% a free transfer now) or staying home at weekends eating pizza and playing fifa.
barça WAS (as far as i know the renewal option is already out of the table) offering a top contract, not a supermegahiperbestoftheworld contract as he is asking (45M just for renewing + 30M per season).

Christ could you stop with this

AneRu

United should have done the same with Pogba in the summer. A simple, “if you don’t sign, we are not going to miss out on a fee”

We then could have signed a midfielder committed to the cause who we had no doubts wanted to be here and contribute.

Done what? Throw childish tantrums potentially exposing a player to various forms of abuse and still fail to sell the player? Dembele can decline any offer over the next eleven days and Barca can't do anything to him besides putting him in the reserves and exposing themselves as overly emotional manipulative brats.

I hold no brief for Dembele but I'd be embarrassed if my club was acting this way towards a player, no matter who he is, for exercising his rights. Barcelona aren't the first club to make poor investment decisions and shouldn't be butt hurt that a player has refused to bail them out.

Gandalf

Easier said than done. First you need a club that is willing to pay a fee and Paul was not exactly in demand this summer and then you also need the player to agree to the move. Paul and Mino know that the only way he is going to get the level of salary he is looking for is if he signs as a free agent and so that is their objective, we could play hardball but in reality we are still obligated to pay his wages and how exactly does it help us to squander millions on his salary and refuse to play him? The truth is that when a player gets to the final 12 months of his deal his club simply has no leverage which is why you need to be making these decisions two years out to sell or extend.

Shine&Recline

Barca have been tryin for months to extend his contract but according to the club his camp kept refusing to enter negotiations. But now we’re supposed to believe he’s asking for 700k a week? Barca is just trying to save face here by running this mans name through the mud and paint the player as a greedy mercenary in the process all because he didn’t want to accept a 40% pay cut.

It’s funny that Sergi Roberto’s contract is supposed to run out this summer aswell but they would never try to pull this stunt with him

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Barcelona can feck off. They are a disgrace, and treat their players horribly when it suits them. All those in here going on about contractual obligations - this is the club that thought they could simply cancel the contracts of the players they didn’t want so that they can sign new ones last summer. They basically spent last summer trying to tell Pjanic and Umtiti that they should ‘do the honourable thing’ and simply walk away from their contracts because the club doesn’t want them. Then when it suited them to fiddle the books, they offered Umtiti a new deal 3 months later.

Dembele does not have to sign a mew contract, and he does jot have to make a decision on their timeline. What he does have to do is train and make himself available if fit, which by all accounts, he has done.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Done what? Throw childish tantrums potentially exposing a player to various forms of abuse and still fail to sell the player? Dembele can decline any offer over the next eleven days and Barca can't do anything to him besides putting him in the reserves and exposing themselves as overly emotional manipulative brats.

I hold no brief for Dembele but I'd be embarrassed if my club was acting this way towards a player, no matter who he is, for exercising his rights. Barcelona aren't the first club to make poor investment decisions and shouldn't be butt hurt that a player has refused to bail them out.
No, just sold the player and cashed in on the asset. No need to tweet or inform anyone, just take the best offer from PSG/Real/Juventus and move him on.

Barcelona have every right to cash in now if they can and we should have done the same with Pogba.

NoLogo

Barcelona can feck off. They are a disgrace, and treat their players horribly when it suits them. All those in here going on about contractual obligations - this is the club that thought they could simply cancel the contracts of the players they didn’t want so that they can sign new ones last summer. They basically spent last summer trying to tell Pjanic and Umtiti that they should ‘do the honourable thing’ and simply walk away from their contracts because the club doesn’t want them. Then when it suited them to fiddle the books, they offered Umtiti a new deal 3 months later.

Dembele does not have to sign a mew contract, and he does jot have to make a decision on their timeline. What he does have to do is train and make himself available if fit, which by all accounts, he has done.
Wouldn't it be funny if they re-signed all the current players on really low contracts and then proceed to blow all of the freed-up budget on Haaland? Boy would that go down well with the rest of the squad. :lol:

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
No, just sold the player and cashed in on the asset. No need to tweet or inform anyone, just take the best offer from PSG/Real/Juventus and move him on.

Barcelona have every right to cash in now if they can and we should have done the same with Pogba.
You can't "move on" a player to a place/club/contract he doesn't want to be moved on to.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Agreed. They’re a loathsome club. Always act holier-than-thou but really they’re just massive bellends.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
is Dembele and his agent really asking for 40m annually?

not trying to defend him or his agent, 40m annually means 770K weekly, no club will ever pay him that, and his agent must know that surely, hence why I find this strange and bizarre.

But again stranger things happened.
It's a good question. I suspect the answer is no. Where does the figure come from, actually? Everyone's citing it as if it was established fact, when it's probably from some Gerard Romero tweet or some other shady, compromised source

BlueHaze

If he wasn't injured 24/7 every top club would be all over him but truth is he's nothing but a waste of space.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

If I didn't know, I could swear that you are talking about a shipments of oats.

Status
Not open for further replies.