Ousmane Diomande

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I have liked Diomande as a young CB prospect for awhile and feel he could be one of the great CBs of the future. But I also like Yoro and the potential that he has at his age is frightening. I always thought we should acquire two CBs in the summer transfer window, someone to come in as a starter/rotation option with Varane and then another LCB option to be the secondary option to Martinez. I like Todibo as the RCB option as he is on the cusp of really breaking out and can come in now and play plus he still has upside left. I was thinking then we go for a LCB prospect like Lucumi or Branthwaite but I also feel we can't miss on one of Diomande and Yoro. Which of the two would you take as a young prospect and do you feel their talent is such, that we don't have to go for a left footed CB as back up to Martinez and that one of them can fill in there? I'm not sure how ambipedal each of them are? I think Yoro has played as a LCB before but don't think Diomande has
I honestly would be overjoyed with either Diomande or Yoro. Both players have elite potential in the mid to long-term and they're the type of profile we have ignored over the years, much to my frustration. I think there's a number of really good options for the RCB spot with players like Todibo, Kossounou, Diomande and Yoro etc being some of those options. But from following Diomande for over a year at SCP, and keeping a close watch on his progress, along with keeping a eye on his statistics. It's clear to see that he's gone up a level when it comes to winning aerial duels, tackling dribblers in 1v1 duels and is more selective in his tackling, which imo shows that he's far more intelligent in how he defends.

Last season his aerial winning percentage was at around 43%, and being 19 years of age at the time, it was hoped he would improve in that regard. But it seems he's improved noticeably in that regard thus far this season where he's winning 69.8% of his aerial duels. That is a clear improvement and he's still only 20 years of age.

He's also shown very clear growth when it comes to tackling dribblers. Last season he managed to stop 52.6% of dribblers in 1v1s duels, but this season it's shot up to 76.9%.
Which is a clear improvement at 20 years of age for a player that is blessed physically, athletically and technically.

His tackling attempts have dropped from 1.93 to 0.84 p90, which further demonstrates that his intelligence and ability to be more passive, along with being the aggressor is something that he's adding to his game and he can be utilised as both the aggressor in the backline or the more passive cover defender. I can't emphasise enough the importance of having this in your locker as a CB. And it shows the players development curve and maturity is something that is being developed on the training pitch.

He's a CB that can be utilised all across the backline imo. He's comfortable on either foot, has great composure and press resisting qualities along with superb passing qualities. And on top of all that he's a real powerhouse who can deal with the opponents high pressing tactics in possession, can deal with opposition low block tactics with balls over the top and can also bully players in 1v1 duels, whilst defending large space in the channel against the opponent's transition. At 20 years of age, he has world class potential and is someone we should be in for.

The likes of Branthwaite and Lucumi are enticing players for the LCB roles at the club. But neither are of the talent level that I believe Diomande or Yoro could reach. But being left footed makes them interesting players to rotate with Martinez, potentially.

Kingslayer18

I honestly would be overjoyed with either Diomande or Yoro. Both players have elite potential in the mid to long-term and they're the type of profile we have ignored over the years, much to my frustration. I think there's a number of really good options for the RCB spot with players like Todibo, Kossounou, Diomande and Yoro etc being some of those options. But from following Diomande for over a year at SCP, and keeping a close watch on his progress, along with keeping a eye on his statistics. It's clear to see that he's gone up a level when it comes to winning aerial duels, tackling dribblers in 1v1 duels and is more selective in his tackling, which imo shows that he's far more intelligent in how he defends.

Last season his aerial winning percentage was at around 43%, and being 19 years of age at the time, it was hoped he would improve in that regard. But it seems he's improved noticeably in that regard thus far this season where he's winning 69.8% of his aerial duels. That is a clear improvement and he's still only 20 years of age.

He's also shown very clear growth when it comes to tackling dribblers. Last season he managed to stop 52.6% of dribblers in 1v1s duels, but this season it's shot up to 76.9%.
Which is a clear improvement at 20 years of age for a player that is blessed physically, athletically and technically.

His tackling attempts have dropped from 1.93 to 0.84 p90, which further demonstrates that his intelligence and ability to be more passive, along with being the aggressor is something that he's adding to his game and he can be utilised as both the aggressor in the backline or the more passive cover defender. I can't emphasise enough the importance of having this in your locker as a CB. And it shows the players development curve and maturity is something that is being developed on the training pitch.

He's a CB that can be utilised all across the backline imo. He's comfortable on either foot, has great composure and press resisting qualities along with superb passing qualities. And on top of all that he's a real powerhouse who can deal with the opponents high pressing tactics in possession, can deal with opposition low block tactics with balls over the top and can also bully players in 1v1 duels, whilst defending large space in the channel against the opponent's transition. At 20 years of age, he has world class potential and is someone we should be in for.

The likes of Branthwaite and Lucumi are enticing players for the LCB roles at the club. But neither are of the talent level that I believe Diomande or Yoro could reach. But being left footed makes them interesting players to rotate with Martinez, potentially.

It does seem that Diomande has taken a leap this season and shown that he's ready for a step up to a bigger team. Who do you rate as a bigger talent between him and Yoro if the choice was between one of them? I still feel the club will pursue Todibo as the RCB as there has been enough talks to assume that this is a transfer that is still likely to happen. Plus, he may be cheaper than both Diomande and Yoro.

I didn't know Diomande has the ability to play at LCB, this does change my estimation of him and CB targets. I would rather go for him or Yoro as back-up to Martinez, as I feel that they have the ability and potential to actually steal the starting spot from Martinez in 2 years time. So a summer where we can let go of Maguire and Lindelof, whilst bringing in a Todibo and Diomande/Yoro would set us up for the now and for the future. I would then keep Varane on a one year deal as a rotation option and add some leadership & stability. If we add a RB, who's athletic and has the ability to go on the outside constantly, we would've transformed our backline in one summer. That, and an athletic 6 would totally transform the team and set us up to play the way ETH wants. Although, he may not be around to see it if the rumours are true of Ineos not being convinced by him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yoro looks incredible I must say. I haven’t watched as much of Diomande, I don’t really enjoy Portuguese football and only really watch Benfica mainly on Neves-watch.

I do have a little Branthwaite bias though, largely because I think if there’s an English guy in the small group of top young centre half prospects, then we should prioritise him, even if he is not the de facto #1 in that group. Yoro gives me young Varane vibes though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It does seem that Diomande has taken a leap this season and shown that he's ready for a step up to a bigger team. Who do you rate as a bigger talent between him and Yoro if the choice was between one of them? I still feel the club will pursue Todibo as the RCB as there has been enough talks to assume that this is a transfer that is still likely to happen. Plus, he may be cheaper than both Diomande and Yoro.

I didn't know Diomande has the ability to play at LCB, this does change my estimation of him and CB targets. I would rather go for him or Yoro as back-up to Martinez, as I feel that they have the ability and potential to actually steal the starting spot from Martinez in 2 years time. So a summer where we can let go of Maguire and Lindelof, whilst bringing in a Todibo and Diomande/Yoro would set us up for the now and for the future. I would then keep Varane on a one year deal as a rotation option and add some leadership & stability. If we add a RB, who's athletic and has the ability to go on the outside constantly, we would've transformed our backline in one summer. That, and an athletic 6 would totally transform the team and set us up to play the way ETH wants. Although, he may not be around to see it if the rumours are true of Ineos not being convinced by him.
Diomande is very comfortable on either foot and can be utilised all across the backline imo. But I think ideally you utilise him centrally as a CCB in a 3 or as channel defender on the right side. I'd say he's ahead of Yoro right now and his ability on the ball along with his pace, power, athleticism and technical ability make him a very enticing prospect who can bully 99% of players in the duel, evade, resist the press and break lines with either foot in possession. Yoro is a few years younger but is also showing a very high level and seems to be someone that has the potential to reach the very top injury permitting. I'd honestly be happy with either player and these are the type of players we haven't been signing over the years which has cost us imo.

I think INEOS will look to bring in Graham Potter because he works well with Dan Ashworth. But I feel it still doesn't change anything for us because we still need players of the profile of Diomande and Yoro. There's others also like Kossounou, Tapsoba and Todibo etc. All strong defenders who can defend on the front foot and can be utilised on the right. Then you have players like Branthwaite, Lucumi and possibly Lukeba as options as the LCB. Whether the manager stays or goes, it shouldn't change what is requirement imo. We need to significantly raise the physical, athletic and technical level of the team. And imo it's pretty easy to see who those players are.

Rojofiam

Diomande is very comfortable on either foot and can be utilised all across the backline imo. But I think ideally you utilise him centrally as a CCB in a 3 or as channel defender on the right side. I'd say he's ahead of Yoro right now and his ability on the ball along with his pace, power, athleticism and technical ability make him a very enticing prospect who can bully 99% of players in the duel, evade, resist the press and break lines with either foot in possession. Yoro is a few years younger but is also showing a very high level and seems to be someone that has the potential to reach the very top injury permitting. I'd honestly be happy with either player and these are the type of players we haven't been signing over the years which has cost us imo.

I think INEOS will look to bring in Graham Potter because he works well with Dan Ashworth. But I feel it still doesn't change anything for us because we still need players of the profile of Diomande and Yoro. There's others also like Kossounou, Tapsoba and Todibo etc. All strong defenders who can defend on the front foot and can be utilised on the right. Then you have players like Branthwaite, Lucumi and possibly Lukeba as options as the LCB. Whether the manager stays or goes, it shouldn't change what is requirement imo. We need to significantly raise the physical, athletic and technical level of the team. And imo it's pretty easy to see who those players are.
I think Yoro will go to Madrid, so I'd break the bank for Diomandé and Branthwaite. We would suddenly have an incredible young defense with further potential to grow as well.

Also really like Tapsoba and Todibo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think Yoro will go to Madrid, so I'd break the bank for Diomandé and Branthwaite. We would suddenly have an incredible young defense with further potential to grow as well.

Also really like Tapsoba and Todibo.
Agreed.

Kingslayer18

Yes, i think either of Yoro or Diomande would be ideal for us. They have the right attributes we should be looking for. I also think Yoro lacks that bit of strength as a result of his age that means he can't come in as a starter from Day 1 and is more a developmental prospect. It seems from your analysis that you're higher on Diomande than Todibo? Would you be comfortable with us selecting him as our no 1 RCB ahead of Todibo given his relative lack of experience?

I'd prefer we look elsewhere other than Potter but that's just me. I would prefer Nagelsman if we were to move away from ETH, despite Potter already having a relationship with Ashworth. He seemed to freeze in the limelight at Chelsea and may do with moving an intermediate club like a West Ham or Newcastle before joining one of the traditional big 5 clubs. Nagelsman's teams play on the front foot, he's highly adaptable and has charisma.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes, i think either of Yoro or Diomande would be ideal for us. They have the right attributes we should be looking for. I also think Yoro lacks that bit of strength as a result of his age that means he can't come in as a starter from Day 1 and is more a developmental prospect. It seems from your analysis that you're higher on Diomande than Todibo? Would you be comfortable with us selecting him as our no 1 RCB ahead of Todibo given his relative lack of experience?

I'd prefer we look elsewhere other than Potter but that's just me. I would prefer Nagelsman if we were to move away from ETH, despite Potter already having a relationship with Ashworth. He seemed to freeze in the limelight at Chelsea and may do with moving an intermediate club like a West Ham or Newcastle before joining one of the traditional big 5 clubs. Nagelsman's teams play on the front foot, he's highly adaptable and has charisma.
I prefer Diomande over Todibo due to him being a more rounded player potentially who can play across the backline, is a dominant dueller on the front foot due to his pace and power and also has the technical ability to contribute in possession. And that makes Diomande a potential backline leader who can be utilised as the commander where he the backline pushes up with him. Todibo is also a very good player and his ability to dominate the channel in 1v1 duels and receive passes in the build up phase is also something that would potentially improve us. But I do think Diomande has more in his locker to be that dominant backline commander that we've missed for far too long. If you want to play the game in the opponent's half by sacrificing defensive stability for goals, then you need CBs who are physically, athletically and technically capable to defend in isolation high up the pitch. So the prototype is a Van Dijk who is a strong box defender as well as being strong at defending large spaces in a higher line. And the likes of John Terry from the past who was a strong box defender but IMO wouldn't cut it when defending large spaces in a higher defensive line compared to Van Dijk who is both a strong box defender and also a strong defender in a higher defensive line. So even-though I do prefer Ousmane Diomande or Leny Yoro, there's numerous other players that we can also target like Odilon Kossounou, Tapsoba, Danso etc for the RCB spot. And the likes of Branthwaite, Lukeba, Lucumi are options at LCB.

I think the key for any football structure to function is for the DoF and head coach to be in-sync with each other. And if there isn't a good rapport between the club's football departments and the head coach who picks the team on matchdays, then things can go wrong. Ashworth has gone on record and said he won't sign a player that the head coach doesn't want hence he allowed Graham Potter to bring his own scout/analyst (Kyle Macaulay) at Brighton to help with recruitment. Graham Potter may or may not be good enough, but I wouldn't judge him on the mess created by Todd Boehly at Chelsea.

Nagelsmann is potentially a good head coach, but I'm not sure he's someone that has the maturity to work within a football structure. I think if United moved on from ten Hag, then managers like Potter or maybe De Zerbi may infact be better bets as far as having a connection with Dan Ashworth is concerned. De Zerbi is a very attack minded coach and seems to be a a little gung-ho at times which could pose a problem. But if we manage to sign the correct profile of players at CB and in midfield who raise the physical and athletic level of the team without compromising on technical ability, then that would help someone like De Zerbi and it will also help the present head coach ten Hag. But I think the most balanced choice would be Ruben Amorim from SCP. He's someone that coaches a very technical game from back to front with and without the ball and seems like a manager who is potentially on the cusp of being a top head coach.