Ousmane Diomande

Adnan

Talent Spotter
19 year old right sided CB who is showing huge potential for his age playing in Portugal for SCP. He seems to possess every attribute required to go on and be a world class CB imo. He has the physicality, athleticism, pace and the ability to evade/resist pressure along with being ambipedal where his ability to pass through the lines with either foot is very impressive already at 19 years old.

He's definitely one player I'll be watching closely in the season ahead and I'm sure he's someone many big clubs will be keeping a close eye on with a view to signing him in the summer window of 2024. And I believe United themselves will be looking to sign a RCB in the summer of 2024, if we don't manage to sign one in the current window. I mentioned Diomande earlier this year and how he had impressed me.

But I think it's time to create a thread on him now and chart his potential rise in the game. Diomande is showing immense potential for a 19 year old CB.

arthurka

Won't be in Utd's radar until we have to pay somewhere in the 100m region for him.

Gums

Nice one, @Adnan. His intuitive decision-making is excellent already. Great burst when under pressure without passing options. Good passing range. The video has him playing FB, no? Look forward to watching more of him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nice one, @Adnan. His intuitive decision-making is excellent already. Great burst when under pressure without passing options. Good passing range. The video has him playing FB, no? Look forward to watching more of him.
He plays on the right side of a back 3. Inacio (another impressive CB) plays on the left with Sebastian Coates central.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't know why I thought that this was a sarcastic thread on Ousmane Dembele:wenger:

jeepers

1.9m at 19 :eek:. It’s time we start looking for someone to replace Varane where he can settle in and learn from Varane whilst also cover Varane. Could we send Lindelof back to Portugal? As much as I have a soft spot for Lindelof and he’s a good enough passer for ETH, he just isn’t aggressive enough.

Supports
Chelsea
He's got a £70m release clause apparently.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don’t think we have any extra funds for a CB. It’s probably all about a CF now. Otheriwse we would be toying with the idea of Evans as a backup choice CH.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
19 year old right sided CB who is showing huge potential for his age playing in Portugal for SCP. He seems to possess every attribute required to go on and be a world class CB imo. He has the physicality, athleticism, pace and the ability to evade/resist pressure along with being ambipedal where his ability to pass through the lines with either foot is very impressive already at 19 years old.

He's definitely one player I'll be watching closely in the season ahead and I'm sure he's someone many big clubs will be keeping a close eye on with a view to signing him in the summer window of 2024. And I believe United themselves will be looking to sign a RCB in the summer of 2024, if we don't manage to sign one in the current window. I mentioned Diomande earlier this year and how he had impressed me.

But I think it's time to create a thread on him now and chart his potential rise in the game. Diomande is showing immense potential for a 19 year old CB.

the kind of shit I come here for :)

as I said in the Rasmus H thread, I hope we can pick up a few Pogba (to Juve) type deals.
There’s no reason why we can’t if we know the market. The wages are big. The stage is set, there’s a stable feel around the squad again. Young players who want to work hard should go for it!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Bought in January and immediately became a starter.

Fast, Strong, and most importantly for our system he’s good with the ball in his feet and getting out of tight spaces. He has a solid reading of defensive positioning but occasionally has those juvenile lapses expected in a 19 year old. Still only 19 I have no doubt he will be a 60M player soon. He won’t be cheap at all.

Additionally if think he will be playing that CDM role occasionally as well in our free flowing system similar to what stones does for City.

Very impressive performance vs Arsenal and even scored vs Benfica in the derby.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He's got a £70m release clause apparently.
Feck Sporting seem like they do this to all their youth players with the hope of them blowing up, just so they can land a big pay day.

SportingCP96

Supports
Feck Sporting seem like they do this to all their youth players with the hope of them blowing up, just so they can land a big pay day.
We do this to every player in the team. It’s smart. If top clubs want our top players they need to pay big money. Other clubs get 80M or 70M for championship level players so if they want quality from Portugal or even France they should play those clubs top dollar.

criticalanalysis

Bought in January and immediately became a starter.

Fast, Strong, and most importantly for our system he’s good with the ball in his feet and getting out of tight spaces. He has a solid reading of defensive positioning but occasionally has those juvenile lapses expected in a 19 year old. Still only 19 I have no doubt he will be a 60M player soon. He won’t be cheap at all.

Additionally if think he will be playing that CDM role occasionally as well in our free flowing system similar to what stones does for City.

Very impressive performance vs Arsenal and even scored vs Benfica in the derby.
Thanks! Will be interesting to see his development considering your praise.

@Adnan will be keeping an eye on this thread and his performances.

SportingCP96

Supports
With a little more time to write I will try to give you guys a better analysis.

Diomande was purchased by Sporting from Mafra for 7.5M, which could go up to as much as 12M. While at Mafra Diomande displayed a lot of maturity on the pitch which particularly caught the eye of Sporting (and Arsenal) for his performance vs Porto at the Dragão for the Taça de Portugal.

At Sporting Diomande has primarily played as a RCB in Amorim favorable 3-4-3 formation. His passing was immediately evident as well as his composure on the ball and in tight spaces. Another one of his key attributes is strong physical stature , size (6’3), and speed. In fact the most impressive Sporting back three last season was against Arsenal at the Emirates which consisted of Goncalo Inacio (LCB) Diomande (CB) and St Juste (RCB). A Very quick and ball dominant backline.

Let’s talk about his passing. I think the key think you note is that Diomande is a very progressive passer in the most literal sense. Head up and on a swivel he is always looking for an outlet pass in the channels or a long ball over the top. Along with that he passes in between the lines in order to break the initial press of the opposite team. In fact Diomande attempts a little over 6 progressive passes a game which puts him in the 98th percentile in world football along with a very impressive 1.98 ball Carries per game which is also in the 90th percentile. For his size and speed these are every impressive numbers.

In terms of tackling and reading of the game he does it efficiently although their are obvious lapses of concentration which is normal for a young guy with only about 6 months of top level football to his name. He attempts over 2 tackles a game which once again puts him in the 90th percentile.

An area where I would like to see him improve is being a threat on set pieces. He scored a nice goal vs Benfica and I think he can do more of that.

In terms of valuation, when the time comes Sporting won’t sell for less then 60M. With that being said he is NOT ready for a move yet and I can see him staying at Sporting for another 2 season but a stellar season will see him gone by next summer.

Hope this helped guys !

criticalanalysis

Diomande was purchased by Sporting from Mafra for 7.5M, which could go up to as much as 12M. While at Mafra Diomande displayed a lot of maturity on the pitch which particularly caught the eye of Sporting (and Arsenal) for his performance vs Porto at the Dragão for the Taça de Portugal.

At Sporting Diomande has primarily played as a RCB in Amorim favorable 3-4-3 formation. His passing was immediately evident as well as his composure on the ball and in tight spaces. Another one of his key attributes is strong physical stature , size (6’3), and speed. In fact the most impressive Sporting back three last season was against Arsenal at the Emirates which consisted of Goncalo Inacio (LCB) Diomande (CB) and St Juste (RCB). A Very quick and ball dominant backline.

Let’s talk about his passing. I think the key think you note is that Diomande is a very progressive passer in the most literal sense. Head up and on a swivel he is always looking for an outlet pass in the channels or a long ball over the top. Along with that he passes in between the lines in order to break the initial press of the opposite team. In fact Diomande attempts a little over 6 progressive passes a game which puts him in the 98th percentile in world football along with a very impressive 1.98 ball Carries per game which is also in the 90th percentile. For his size and speed these are every impressive numbers.

In terms of tackling and reading of the game he does it efficiently although their are obvious lapses of concentration which is normal for a young guy with only about 6 months of top level football to his name. He attempts over 2 tackles a game which once again puts him in the 90th percentile.

An area where I would like to see him improve is being a threat on set pieces. He scored a nice goal vs Benfica and I think he can do more of that.

In terms of valuation, when the time comes Sporting won’t sell for less then 60M. With that being said he is NOT ready for a move yet and I can see him staying at Sporting for another 2 season but a stellar season will see him gone by next summer.

Hope this helped guys !

I looked forward to next summer then :lol: :cool:

Hoof the ball

Hope this helped guys !

Excellent write up!

The question is....... does LuckyScout approve?

Borninthe80ts

I appreciate the info, first time seeing his highlights too.

Straight away you can see his really sharp in both his speed of thought, and progressive passing. One, two touches and his moved the ball on. I also like when players are on their toes so to speak. So if a mistake is made they can react quickly. Seems agile too, and good at carrying the ball so as suggested a future further up the field could be a possibility.

I’m hoping that we can get a signing in like this at centre back to replace Harry rather than someone established. Develop a centre half in the teams image hopefully.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s a player I’m also keeping an eye on. Came to my attention earlier this season and seems to have all the right qualities. I heard Arsenal were sniffing around.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
SCP were held to a draw away to Braga. Braga actually played well and it was a testing game for SCP.

Ousmane Diomande was good again and got an assist along with being good in most aspects of the game. He's coming along well and at 19 years of age he's doing very well.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Would love us to go for him in Jan

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He just put in another dominant performance tonight in the Europa league where SCP came from a goal down to win 1-2 away from home. He's just so dominant and authoritative in every action he makes. At 19 years of age he looks so composed on the ball and there will likely be many clubs wanting him. I wouldn't hesitate to pay his reported £69m release clause.

He also got the assist for the winning goal.

The assist quite easily could've been a goal for him but his shot took a deflection of his own player. But the composure he showed to create space for the shot was impressive for a CB.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He just put in another dominant performance tonight in the Europa league where SCP came from a goal down to win 1-2 away from home. He's just so dominant and authoritative in every action he makes. At 19 years of age he looks so composed on the ball and there will likely be many clubs wanting him. I wouldn't hesitate to pay his reported £69m release clause.

He also got the assist for the winning goal.
(Nice clause etc).

Get the feeling this has Real written all over it if he smashes it over the rest of the season.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
We are after Diomande yes, think there's talk of going back for him in January.

He was our choice before we went for Kiwior, but Sporting were able to get him before us. Diomande is genuine competition to Saliba in our squad, and gives us further tactical options in our backline.

If I was at United, I would be going in hard for this player, he has what it takes.

Last edited:

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
We are after Diomande yes, think there's talk of going in for him in January.

He was our choice before we went for Kiwior, but Sporting were able to get him before us. Diomande is genuine competition to Saliba in our squad, and gives us further tactical options in our backline.

If I was at United, I would be going in hard for this player, he has what it takes.
Well FFP will be a problem, we took Raya on loan to by pass that. We also tried getting diomande for less than 40m this summer which was rejected, and he is definitely going for his release clause based on his current performance. Also striker will be next priority for Arsenal, we need someone better than Nketiah. Man United should definitely try and get him else Newcastle or Chelsea will do it.

Last edited:

Kingslayer18

He looks like a great young player. Blessed with athleticism, speed and good passing ability. I'd be torn between him and Todibo as a Varane backup/replacement. Todibo will be cheaper though, which may factor in for us due to a limited budget if the Glazers haven't sold by the end of the season. Are there any reports we're monitoring him, all the articles seem to indicate Arsenal's interest as being strong

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I thought he had scored but Coates was credited with the goal. This guy is a beast. It will cost you though. I can see Sporting selling for Ugarte money BUT if he continues this form and there's an auction for him with multiple clubs, he will probably go for the clause.

I don't like Sporting current board but they have been spot on with player recruitment the past 2 years. Good job by Hugo Viana former Newcastle player as DoF. Hjulmand and specially Gyokeres are very interesting players. Surprised no Prem club like Bournemouth, Everton or West Ham went for Gyokeres. Good technic and physical is off the charts like Prem clubs want.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Highlights of his performance against Benfica from the Cup game yesterday where he again had a impressive outing. He's comfortable as a wide CB or a central CB (CCB) in a 3 man backline. Very dominant player who is also very good at threading the lines alongside his ability to dominate defensive duels. He was at fault for Benfica's goal, but otherwise his performance was very good.

For me Diomande and Leny Yoro (Lille) are among the very best young defensive talents in Europe. Both very young but the potential upside looks huge.

Kingslayer18

Highlights of his performance against Benfica from the Cup game yesterday where he again had a impressive outing. He's comfortable as a wide CB or a central CB (CCB) in a 3 man backline. Very dominant player who is also very good at threading the lines alongside his ability to dominate defensive duels. He was at fault for Benfica's goal, but otherwise his performance was very good.

For me Diomande and Leny Yoro (Lille) are among the very best young defensive talents in Europe. Both very young but the potential upside looks huge.

I have liked Diomande as a young CB prospect for awhile and feel he could be one of the great CBs of the future. But I also like Yoro and the potential that he has at his age is frightening. I always thought we should acquire two CBs in the summer transfer window, someone to come in as a starter/rotation option with Varane and then another LCB option to be the secondary option to Martinez. I like Todibo as the RCB option as he is on the cusp of really breaking out and can come in now and play plus he still has upside left. I was thinking then we go for a LCB prospect like Lucumi or Branthwaite but I also feel we can't miss on one of Diomande and Yoro. Which of the two would you take as a young prospect and do you feel their talent is such, that we don't have to go for a left footed CB as back up to Martinez and that one of them can fill in there? I'm not sure how ambipedal each of them are? I think Yoro has played as a LCB before but don't think Diomande has