Out of contract XI - who would you take?

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
The BBC Sport page just ran an article on players available for free (unless they resign between now and the summer) at the end of the season. Some big names in there:

Looks like most (top) clubs will be strapped for cash due to the pandemic, so some of these guys will be hot property...

Who would you take? Any other bargains they missed?

I personally would love us to go all in for Donnaruma. Young, talented, and clearly an upgrade on De Gea (and probably Henderson). Ramos (even though I hate the guy) could help us put together a title run next year. Could be a decent short term fix in the back.

link

Spaghetti

Mom's
Donnarumma - yes, based on hear’say (not the winners of the original Pop Idol.

Alaba, Ramos, Boateng - yes

Wijnaldum - no chance, for obvious reasons

Fernandinho - no

Draxler - no

Depay - no

Di María - alongside Lukaku as my least favourite ex-player. No

Messi - too expensive, too circusy and it’s too much about him. No

Aguero - yes

Jacob

All of them would either make the XI or the bench with us.

Withnail

The BBC Sport page just ran an article on players available for free (unless they resign between now and the summer) at the end of the season. Some big names in there:

Looks like most (top) clubs will be strapped for cash due to the pandemic, so some of these guys will be hot property...

I personally would love us to go all in for Donnaruma. Young, talented, and clearly an upgrade on De Gea (and probably Henderson). Ramos (even though I hate the guy) could help us put together a title run next year. Could be a decent short term fix in the back.

link
Donnarumma's still only 21?

Seems like he's been around forever.

204Red

Hard to imagine anyone other than City or PSG offering Messi anything resembling the same wages he's on at Barca

SAFMUTD

Based on quality everyone besides Draxler, Boateng and Depay. Wouldnt take Di Maria, Aguero, Fernandino or Wijnaldum because feck em. Alaba, Ramos, Messi and Doranumma I would personaly pick them at the airport.

Red00012

We should be after any one of the back 3 in this order Alaba, Ramos , Boateng

The rest won’t be happening

KwokSF

With a solid bench, that free agent team should end up in the top 2

Bertie Wooster

There's obviously some fantastic players there, but most aren't really the types / age of players we're likely to be looking at this summer, and I wouldn't really say any of them are likely (especially not two from City, one Liverpool, or Messi).

Donnarumma is a good, incredibly experienced keeper for his age. But, unless we're suddenly selling De Gea, which I doubt, then that's a non starter.

Alaba would be a very good signing for someone. Versatile player with good attributes. If we hadn't bought Telles, he'd be a perfect addition for us as the second left back who can also play CM. Even so, he'd be a good CM addition who could also fill in at left-back if needed. But given our other needs, then he's not really a priority. Shame about the timing that he's become available, as I've always rated him.

I really don't think Ramos would be a good signing for us. I always thought Mourinho and us was the wrong mix - he needs to be at a club were the media buy into his 'us v them' victim rubbish, and that was never going to happen here. And, similarly, Ramos' rough style and reputation means, if he joined us, the media would highlight every possible incident and the pressure would be on VAR all the time to scrutinise and penalise him more than anyone else (same as how his reputation, and limited media support, meant David Luiz didn't win his appeal when Bednarek did).

Taking into account age as well as ability, then I'd single out Donnarumma, Alaba and Depay. But I'd be amazed if any end up here next season.

stevoc

Angel Ratface can slink off to Italy. Wouldn't want him near the club again, he wouldn't feel safe in Manchester anyway.

RUCK4444

Alaba and Ramos. versatility and personality

Obviously Messi as well but that won’t happen and he’s a cnut for what he’s doing at Barca imo.

Alaba and Ramos. versatility and personality

Obviously Messi as well but that won’t happen and he’s a cnut for what he’s doing at Barca imo.
but he wanted to and tried to leave last year?

works both ways. Barca are reaping what they sowed. If they had let him go last year, they would have saved a years wages...

Based on quality everyone besides Draxler, Boateng and Depay. Wouldnt take Di Maria, Aguero, Fernandino or Wijnaldum because feck em. Alaba, Ramos, Messi and Doranumma I would personaly pick them at the airport.
agreed with all of this.

If money was no option, I might happily buy Di Maria, and never play him for 3 years. But that’s just because he’s the ultimate rat.

Stacks

link
Wow.

TheRedHearted

All of them would either make the XI or the bench with us.
The most sensible post on here. We need depth, we could use any one of these. Had no idea Depay plays the RW, if Sancho is a no that's a slam dunk choice, could alternate with Diallo if he makes it in.

K Stand Knut

Maybe Alaba and maybe Aguero.

More likely only Aguero because we’re desperate for a proper number 9.

However, preferably none. None of them fit the profile of players that we have clearly been looking at

For the record, Messi would be my last pick. Maybe second last

Steve Bruce

I don't understand why some don't rate depay. His issue at United was more to do with bad timing. I think if he was here now he'd excel

I think his quality in the big champions league games shines through more often than not.

I'd take him back with no hesitation

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The most sensible post on here. We need depth, we could use any one of these. Had no idea Depay plays the RW, if Sancho is a no that's a slam dunk choice, could alternate with Diallo if he makes it in.
He doesn't, he's a left winger or a striker.

prateik

When you factor in what sort of wages they would expect.. none of them.. except Depay, but he is going to Barca. so None.

MetoTTT

When you factor in what sort of wages they would expect.. none of them.. except Depay, but he is going to Barca. so None.
Well, I think he'll go to Barca but I can't see why we would need him and where/how he could fit in the team.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Alaba and Donnarumma. Ramos would’ve been an interesting bet on a 2-year deal, although I would’ve preferred to bet on a younger talent.

Even in an ideal world I can’t see Messi doing enough to compensate for the money that he’ll supposedly ask for. Although Messi at Manchester United is surely a wet dream of our marketing department.

Stacks

well, young for starters.

Cavani aside.
Donnarumu is 21. Draxler is 27. I doubt Ole only wants teenagers. You gotta have experience and talent mixed in with the youths. We have virtually zero leaders as a consequence and look to bottle most opportunites. We aren't a youth academy. Guys like Alaba will add experience winning pros to the dressing room. Ramos too. Chelsea signed Thiago Silva and it has been positive.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I know there's no chance of it happening, but the one who we could use most (aside from Messi, not worth mentioning him) is Fernandinho... I mean Alaba is class but we have good left backs and I don't really see him at CB or in midfield.

OleGunnar20

Maybe Alaba and Donnarumma, although I wouldn't give crazy wages to either (which I'm sure they'll both be after).

Isn't Donnarumma with Raiola? If so, feck that.

The rest as talented as they no doubt are would be big no's for various reasons.

RashyForPM

Donnarumma, Ramos and Messi.

Donnarumma
AWB Ramos Slabhead Shaw
Fred Pogba
Messi Bruno Rashford
Cavani

Honestly, we’d win the treble.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
People in here turning down Messi when our right side is about as populated as Pripyat.

Stacks

I know there's no chance of it happening, but the one who we could use most (aside from Messi, not worth mentioning him) is Fernandinho... I mean Alaba is class but we have good left backs and I don't really see him at CB or in midfield.
He's one of their best CB's. its better to have a player who can play 2 positions. Would be criminal of us say no to David Alaba imo