Gaming Outer Wilds (PC, P S4, Xbox One)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is finally on Steam

One of the best games (or rather, experiences) I have ever played and the best way to go in to the game is completely blind - don't read anything about it and avoid spoilers at all cost.

It's a space exploration puzzle game and the graphics are terrible and it looks like it should be indie shovelware but it's magical.
Agree.

Outer Wilds is one of those rare games that thinking about instantly makes me smile. One of the best of this generation for me.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Such a great game. Would love that vibe on an intersteller type one, would basically be my ideal game.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The DLC Echoes of the Eye is out, and it's honestly just great. It clearly shows that the developers understood what made Outer Wilds amazing, they didn't just get lucky the first time around. It technically runs concurrently with the main story, but in reality it's very much its own self-contained thing, with a suitably emotional ending. It really felt like playing Outer Wilds again. Hopefully in a few years I'll have forgotten more about the original game, so I can play it again.

I'm really excited about whatever these guys decide to do next.

amolbhatia50k

The DLC Echoes of the Eye is out, and it's honestly just great. It clearly shows that the developers understood what made Outer Wilds amazing, they didn't just get lucky the first time around. It technically runs concurrently with the main story, but in reality it's very much its own self-contained thing, with a suitably emotional ending. It really felt like playing Outer Wilds again. Hopefully in a few years I'll have forgotten more about the original game, so I can play it again.

I'm really excited about whatever these guys decide to do next.

Currently playing Echoes in the middle of my 2nd Outer Wilds playthrough. And it's also absolutely brilliant so far. Outer Wilds for me is definitely in my list of greatest ever games for the simple fact that, and this is going sound cheesy as feck, it makes me feel the way no other game does. The intrigue, mystery, fear, wonder etc that this game brings about me is really unique. It basically has me by the balls. Reminds me of how Deus Ex affected me as a kid.

Of course that's not the only way to enjoy a game which is why I probably have a few games above it but they really have done something special with this game.

No other fans of this of the caf?

GazTheLegend

Amazing experience best done without anyone telling you a single thing about it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Just tried it and nope, totally unplayable for me. The tiny FOV and lack of head bob coupled with motion blur gives me immediate motion sickness. Shame really as it sounds very good :(
I don't have it installed right now, but I'm pretty sure there's no motion blur in Outer Wilds. FOV can be changed (on PC), as I recall.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't have it installed right now, but I'm pretty sure there's no motion blur in Outer Wilds. FOV can be changed (on PC), as I recall.
Ah my mistake then. Changing FOV does tend to help - it was the only way I could play Mirrors Edge Catalyst - but the console version doesn't seem to have an option. Shame.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Ah my mistake then. Changing FOV does tend to help - it was the only way I could play Mirrors Edge Catalyst - but the console version doesn't seem to have an option.
Ah, that sucks. If you can get it on sale on PC at some point, you really should give it a go. Playing with the controller is best anyway, I used it on the PC too. If you're the sort to struggle with motion-based first person stuff I can see how it would be challenging for you, since all possible directions are available to you in microgravity or low gravity (which there's a bunch of). It feels really good getting a hang of it, though. And if you crash into the sun once or twice... well that's fine.

Superunknown

Currently playing Echoes in the middle of my 2nd Outer Wilds playthrough. And it's also absolutely brilliant so far. Outer Wilds for me is definitely in my list of greatest ever games for the simple fact that, and this is going sound cheesy as feck, it makes me feel the way no other game does. The intrigue, mystery, fear, wonder etc that this game brings about me is really unique. It basically has me by the balls. Reminds me of how Deus Ex affected me as a kid.

Of course that's not the only way to enjoy a game which is why I probably have a few games above it but they really have done something special with this game.

No other fans of this of the caf?
It's one of my favourite games, too.

Funny enough, I played it through the first time and I found it quite frustrating to control on my PS4. Plus, the slowdown/lag made it such a pain, especially in certain areas. I kinda hated it.

But, I got to the ending and loved that so much that I promised myself I'd erase the whole experience from my mind and give it a second go, which I did a few months later. Second time around, it's one of the best games I've ever played. Such a great experience. Loved the DLC, too.

It's one of those gaming experiences which propels the medium beyond just controls, sound, graphics, etc. It's a beautiful "adventure". In the same way that the Lord of the Rings films and books are more than that. They're very existential. It's hard to believe that humans made these things.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Ah, that sucks. If you can get it on sale on PC at some point, you really should give it a go. Playing with the controller is best anyway, I used it on the PC too. If you're the sort to struggle with motion-based first person stuff I can see how it would be challenging for you, since all possible directions are available to you in microgravity or low gravity (which there's a bunch of). It feels really good getting a hang of it, though. And if you crash into the sun once or twice... well that's fine.
Oh actually you're right, I can just play it on PC cause that version is on gamepass too. Didn't even think about that!

amolbhatia50k

Funny enough, I played it through the first time and I found it quite frustrating to control on my PS4. Plus, the slowdown/lag made it such a pain, especially in certain areas. I kinda hated it.

But, I got to the ending and loved that so much that I promised myself I'd erase the whole experience from my mind and give it a second go, which I did a few months later. Second time around, it's one of the best games I've ever played. Such a great experience. Loved the DLC, too.

It's one of those gaming experiences which propels the medium beyond just controls, sound, graphics, etc. It's a beautiful "adventure". In the same way that the Lord of the Rings films and books are more than that. They're very existential. It's hard to believe that humans made these things.
Absolutely. 80 per cent through my second playthrough (where I played the dlc), I actually decided to start afresh as I wanted to do it in a more breadcrumb/linear fashion where I'd follow the trail rather than the scattergun approach previously gone for. Id say it's even cooler this way as the narrative falls into place so we'll. For example in both my previous playthroghts I started with Ember twin which actually makes no sense narrative wise.

amolbhatia50k

Absolutely. 80 per cent through my second playthrough (where I played the dlc too), I actually decided to start afresh as I wanted to do it in a more breadcrumb/linear fashion where I'd follow the trail rather than the scattergun approach previously gone for. Id say it's even cooler this way as the narrative falls into place so we'll. For example in both my previous playthroghts I started with Ember twin which actually makes no sense narrative wise.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't know, what I like about the game is that literally anything makes sense narrative wise. My first time playing I flew straight to the Attlerock, and then to Brittle Hollow. I don't remember when I even explored Timber Hearth, but it was a few loops in. The game is definitely designed in a way that you're supposed to just go wherever you feel like and it's going to bring you some narrative progress. And then if you get stuck, just go somewhere else for a while.

GazTheLegend

Absolutely. 80 per cent through my second playthrough (where I played the dlc too), I actually decided to start afresh as I wanted to do it in a more breadcrumb/linear fashion where I'd follow the trail rather than the scattergun approach previously gone for. Id say it's even cooler this way as the narrative falls into place so we'll. For example in both my previous playthroghts I started with Ember twin which actually makes no sense narrative wise.
I just finished the entire game again along with the DLC and it's absolutely and utterly fantastic. Even FINDING the DLC content (though I needed a nudge with the radio towers -existence-!) was such an incredible eureka moment, and every bit of the DLC was so pleasingly linked in that every moment felt special, with the one or two frustrating exceptions aside. I am still thinking about it now.

The only downside to the game for me is that once the credits roll, there's really not a lot left to do (if you've done things properly and not followed a guide or looked for hints!), and going back to the characters you meet is a bit disappointing given the story that unfolds - it feels like there should be more time with them than you actually get given, and the ability to tell them post-game things or post-DLC stuff would be nice. But Andrew Prahlow really outdid himself with the DLC songs which are better than even the base game with a sole exception.

I just hope Mobius games make something else soon because their spirit of adventure and discovery over lootboxes and numbers makes for the best kind of game, though of course it's nice to let rip in actions or rpgs, Outer Wilds felt so much more meaningful and interesting. All I gotta say.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I 100% get the desire for more, but for me I think it's one of those games I'm perfectly happy to just have there in my memory as having experienced. I'd love to be able to play it fresh, and coming back to the DLC really re-captured that feeling, but I enjoy just thinking about it every now and then. And yeah, the soundtrack is unbelievably good. And it's not just good music, it's music that perfectly fits what is happening in the game.

If you enjoyed Outer Wilds and this doesn't evoke some strong feelings in you...

If this doesn't make you smile...

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

I just finished the entire game again along with the DLC and it's absolutely and utterly fantastic. Even FINDING the DLC content (though I needed a nudge with the radio towers -existence-!) was such an incredible eureka moment, and every bit of the DLC was so pleasingly linked in that every moment felt special, with the one or two frustrating exceptions aside. I am still thinking about it now.

The only downside to the game for me is that once the credits roll, there's really not a lot left to do (if you've done things properly and not followed a guide or looked for hints!), and going back to the characters you meet is a bit disappointing given the story that unfolds - it feels like there should be more time with them than you actually get given, and the ability to tell them post-game things or post-DLC stuff would be nice. But Andrew Prahlow really outdid himself with the DLC songs which are better than even the base game with a sole exception.

I just hope Mobius games make something else soon because their spirit of adventure and discovery over lootboxes and numbers makes for the best kind of game, though of course it's nice to let rip in actions or rpgs, Outer Wilds felt so much more meaningful and interesting. All I gotta say.
I freaking love that.

I just wish I could wipe my memory of this game away and experience it all over again. As personally there isn’t any game that’s made me feel such pure emotion as Outer Wilds did. Hence for me it’s one of the greatest games ever made and I keep trying to get people to try it out.

amolbhatia50k

Switch version is out. I recall someone waiting for the port.

God damn I love this game :drool: