Gaming Outer Wilds (PC, P S4, Xbox One)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seen a few people talking about this and been meaning to try it so gave it a go tonight. Seems cool so far.

Don't have a clue what I'm doing or what's going on at the moment but it's enjoyable flying around finding stuff.

@Solius @Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Edit: I'm putting almost everything in spoilers, what with this game being about going out and exploring yourself.

Last edited:

Bebe

It looks like everything I want in a game. I'll be trying this once I've finally finished with Witcher 3 (2022 at this rate)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just landed in the middle of the big tornado. Went up to the top of the tower thing and got beamed up to my death. What was the point in that?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Went here, got eaten. Didn't seem to have too much other choice?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
It's pure exploration at the mo for me. I think you uncover a story as it goes on.
I went up there tonight and didn't die, there were these very tricky but enjoyable quantum puzzles to solve as I made my way back down the centre, maybe you have to discover something else to not die there

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I went up there tonight and didn't die, there were these very tricky but enjoyable quantum puzzles to solve as I made my way back down the centre, maybe you have to discover something else to not die there
Hmmm yeah maybe. Thinking about it, it may have coincided with the super nova as there was a big noise just before it :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
fecking Brittle Hollow I swear to god if I end up in that black hole again.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also I set an autopilot for Brittle Hollow and it timed so that its damn sun moon passed in front of me just as I arrived and burned to a crisp. :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
fecking Brittle Hollow I swear to god if I end up in that black hole again.
The ancient aliens left a space station thing near the exit of the black hole. If you go in there there's a portal to one of the poles on Brittle Hollow. You can get to the observatory place from that pole I believe. I just tried but ran out of oxygen before I could work it out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The ancient aliens left a space station thing near the exit of the black hole. If you go in there there's a portal to one of the poles on Brittle Hollow. You can get to the observatory place from that pole I believe. I just tried but ran out of oxygen before I could work it out.
Oh yeah I know. I’m an expert at getting back to Brittle Hollow at this point :lol:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Game of the year for me and my fav in years. Absolutely loved it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think I played the tutorial, went out into space, found a planet, struggled to land, finally landed and kept going up levels and then died and got really overwhelmed cause I'd no idea what was going on, and stopped.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I went back to Dark Bramble after my first visit which quickly resulted in me being eaten. I thought that's just what happened as soon as you entered, but figured there must be more to it after a while. So I returned and got to explore the inside a bit more before then getting eaten again. Unsuccessful.

I assume there's something to do with the seed back home there. I can't really be assed going back again though.

Oh yeah I know. I’m an expert at getting back to Brittle Hollow at this point :lol:
Ah ok :lol:

I think I played the tutorial, went out into space, found a planet, struggled to land, finally landed and kept going up levels and then died and got really overwhelmed cause I'd no idea what was going on, and stopped.
To land better it's good to hit match velocity while doing so. But yeah, the rest of what you said is basically the game I think :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Got really far into the caves on the Ember Twin then got lost and died. Bit annoying when that kind of thing happens.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Got really far into the caves on the Ember Twin then got lost and died. Bit annoying when that kind of thing happens.
Yeah I just got crushed by sand.

i shot my scout into the angler fish skeleton’s mouth but could not for the life of me find where to go in the stepping stone caves

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah I just got crushed by sand.

i shot my scout into the angler fish skeleton’s mouth but could not for the life of me find where to go in the stepping stone caves
My only issue with the game is that this kind of thing makes me not want to go back in case it just happens again. I can't be fecked just repeating things.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well I just crashed into the Quantum Moon and when I died my game froze. Had to restart my PS4 and now my save data is corrupted.

I mean I guess it restarting every 22 minutes doesn’t really matter if I still have the information ive learned but fecking hell.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'm ashamed to say this but Call of Duty has managed to pull me away from this game all week :( It seems like a game I can just jump back into at any time though cos the gameplay isn't really that complicated and all the info I need is there on the ship computer.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I got kinda bored of it. Like the concept but not much to pull me back I don't think.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fanatastic game. I feel I'm nearing the end. Been a thoroughly engaging, eery and unique experience. Well done to the developers.

GazTheLegend

This is finally on Steam

One of the best games (or rather, experiences) I have ever played and the best way to go in to the game is completely blind - don't read anything about it and avoid spoilers at all cost.

It's a space exploration puzzle game and the graphics are terrible and it looks like it should be indie shovelware but it's magical.

nimic

something nice
Scout
But seriously though, anyone who doesn't play this (Outer Wilds) and Disco Elysium has missed out on the two best games of 2019 (and easily among the best games of the 2010s). Official nimic recommendation. Outer Wilds is on Steam now, so there's no excuse any more.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Isn't Disco Elysium PC only? That game looked really interesting. I really need to stop getting games now though my backlog has only grown in lockdown strangely (Modern Warfare is mostly to blame for that). I should probably think about these ones I already have before any new games..

Last of Us Part II (currently playing)
Dark Souls 3
Shadow of the Colossus
A Plague Tale
Vanquish
Ace Combat

Anyway to get back on track, if you haven't played Outer Wilds yet get it, it's absolutely fantastic.