Overrated defence?

Sir A1ex

I was also thinking about the "If Fabio goes it will be harder to hold on to Rafael" argument this morning, and decided it's largely bollocks.

If Fabio goes, it's because he's not been judged good enough, which means the only place he'll be going to is to a demonstrably lower level club. Meanwhile Rafael, presuming he keeps up the good work, will be playing every week for Man Utd. He's hardly going to move to, say, West Brom just to be with his bro, is he?

Similarly, if Madrid come calling for Rafael, I can't see him deciding whether he stays or not based on whether his brother is still playing for our reserve team. If he wants to go there, he goes.

The only scenario in whihc it's an issue is if Fabio proves us wrong, shows himself to be brilliant, and gets another move to a top club, who then also decide to go in for Rafael. But this doesn't seem likely, and if it is the case then we've dropped a bollock anyway by letting Fabio go, regardless of what Rafael does.

Adebesi

I was also thinking about the "If Fabio goes it will be harder to hold on to Rafael" argument this morning, and decided it's largely bollocks.

If Fabio goes, it's because he's not been judged good enough, which means the only place he'll be going to is to a demonstrably lower level club. Meanwhile Rafael, presuming he keeps up the good work, will be playing every week for Man Utd. He's hardly going to move to, say, West Brom just to be with his bro, is he?

Similarly, if Madrid come calling for Rafael, I can't see him deciding whether he stays or not based on whether his brother is still playing for our reserve team. If he wants to go there, he goes.

The only scenario in whihc it's an issue is if Fabio proves us wrong, shows himself to be brilliant, and gets another move to a top club, who then also decide to go in for Rafael. But this doesn't seem likely, and if it is the case then we've dropped a bollock anyway by letting Fabio go, regardless of what Rafael does.
Yeah, I think they will have wnated to be together as youngsters but they must have understood it would be unlikely they would be able to stay together throughout their careers. Im sure they are old enough and settled enough now to cope apart. Though I remember reading an article a few years ago about how the whole da Silva family now lived in a mansion in Manchester, they all came over with the twins. So if they split it will be a big deal for the family, we will get to see which one of them mummy loves most.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
We've been seeing a lot of individual errors in defence this season. I can't remember the last time our team was so easy to play through in midfield and defence, yet most of the attention on here has been on our wingers and other areas of the team.

While Rio and Vidic are obviously on the wane, Evans is a dependable stand-in but is he good enough and error-free enough to be a long term first choice CB here? Smalling has been underwhelming this season, while obviously quite talented, he has had his share of errors, even tonight.

Can Rafael overcome persistent injury problems and occasional concentration issues to be our long term RB or is it time to look for someone else?
Rio and Vidic at their best were the core of United's success, along with VDS of course (though De Gea is a worthy replacement). We were very hard to score against, regularly conceded the fewest goals in the league. Especially in Europe it was our backbone, we would play 5 in midfield away from home and rarely concede a goal.

I quite like Jonny Evans, but he's not at the level of Rio or Vidic in their prime, and he may well never reach that level. Hell, we may never see a better CB pairing than those two.

Carrick and Scholes were never the most defensively imposing central midfielders, but our defenders were able to make up for it. We're going to need to find a way to support the defense more from midfield in lieu of signing a top CB.

We're also missing the Evra that had the legs to get back on defense after going on an attacking run. But it's a problem that has been growing as Vidic has dealt with injury and Rio has slowly lost his legs.

goals conceded by season:
2006-7: 27
2007-8: 22
2008-9: 24
2009-10: 28
2010-11: 37
2011-12: 33
2012-13: 43
2013-14: 47 (at our current pace)