Television Overrated TV series

AaronRedDevil

The Sopranos.

I’ve got about 8 episodes of the final season to watch. It’s good, but I really don’t get why people hold it in quite such high regard.
You're comment is giving me agita. But fair enough. I just love the characters in it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Sopranos.

I’ve got about 8 episodes of the final season to watch. It’s good, but I really don’t get why people hold it in quite such high regard.
Very very good indeed until the last season, which was ordinary, and the ending was horrendous.

Timdbro

Lots to agree with for me.

Breaking Bad: I actually stuck with it for 3 and a half seasons, mostly because lots of people I’d normally listen to kept on telling me it gets good, but it just never did for me. I’ve heard “wait til the 4th/5th season” a few times, which just seems a bit silly.

Stranger things: I got through the first season because it’s short, and it had just been released (hype was just starting). Never liked it, just too childish. I get that it’s meant to be nostalgic, but making a mash up of 80s kids/teen movies has no place being seen as great TV.

Another one I’ll throw in there is It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Seems to get rave reviews from critics for being witty and well written, I just find it a bit cringe worthy (not Big Bang Theory level cringe but still). Its basically a grosser, dumber version of Seinfeld.

caid

Breaking Bad: I actually stuck with it for 3 and a half seasons, mostly because lots of people I’d normally listen to kept on telling me it gets good, but it just never did for me. I’ve heard “wait til the 4th/5th season” a few times, which just seems a bit silly.
If you've watched 3 and a half seasons you should finish it off. There is a pay off. Doesn't make up for the 4 pretty mediocre seasons before it but just seems a waste to have gone that far otherwise.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mad Men - I'm sorry but this was shite. For me at least. I never felt compelled to carry on watching this. Nothing dragged me back in. I just don't get why people love it.
The first season was difficult for me to get into as well but the Carousel speech in the final episode of the 1st season got me hooked in and I really enjoyed the rest of the seasons. Now it ranks among my all time favourite shows. It's difficult to get into, no doubt about it, but as you get deeper into the show it's fantastic.

Regarding the OP, I have to say I find Parks and Recreation to be massively overrated, just don't find it all that funny at all.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The first season was difficult for me to get into as well but the Carousel speech in the final episode of the 1st season got me hooked in and I really enjoyed the rest of the seasons. Now it ranks among my all time favourite shows. It's difficult to get into, no doubt about it, but as you get deeper into the show it's fantastic.

Regarding the OP, I have to say I find Parks and Recreation to be massively overrated, just don't find it all that funny at all.
I think it didn't help that I had studied this scene before so knew it well already!

Spoony

The People's President

That despite the cnutish characters?

parkthebuslads

Mad men - Very, very dull
The Americans - It's OK and has it's moments, but at times is frankly boring
The Boys - A lot of fun but rather shallow and one dimensional
Justified - It's just OK
Firefly - The most overrated show I've seen. Has some stand out episodes but I don't understand the love
The Good Place - The idiot character is an atrocious actor, the philosopher is wooden and Kristen Bell gets old real fast
Band of Brothers - An amazing production that does a wonderful job at immersing you in that period, but as a TV show it could have been better

All just my opinions of course!

Spoony

The People's President
Sorry didn't get you mate. What despite the cnutish characters?
Ahhh... I found the characters hard to stomach. I gave after the 5th(?) season. Great looking, good acting and very atmospheric but the characters made my gut churn.

King7Eric

Ahhh... I found the characters hard to stomach. I gave after the 5th(?) season. Great looking, good acting and very atmospheric but the characters made my gut churn.
The characters are supposed to be like that. They represent humanity, with all its flaws and goodness. I don't think there's a single character in the show you could label as pure evil, or pure good and that's the beauty of it, in my opinion. They are cnuts most of the time, but then aren't we all?

Spoony

The People's President
The characters are supposed to be like that. They represent humanity, with all its flaws and goodness. I don't think there's a single character in the show you could label as pure evil, or pure good and that's the beauty of it, in my opinion. They are cnuts most of the time, but then aren't we all?
I'm not sure, it's far too cynical for me. I'm not saying they should all be dancing to the sound of music but was it too Ayn Rand. And I don't think we're all cnuts, sure we've all have bad thoughts but that doesn't mean we have to act upon them. Heh it just wasn't for me.....

King7Eric

I'm not sure, it's far too cynical for me. I'm not saying they should all be dancing to the sound of music but was it too Ayn Rand. And I don't think we're all cnuts, sure we've all have bad thoughts but that doesn't mean we have to act upon them. Heh it just wasn't for me.....
Fair enough.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mad men - Very, very dull
The Americans - It's OK and has it's moments, but at times is frankly boring
The Boys - A lot of fun but rather shallow and one dimensional
Justified - It's just OK
Firefly - The most overrated show I've seen. Has some stand out episodes but I don't understand the love
The Good Place - The idiot character is an atrocious actor, the philosopher is wooden and Kristen Bell gets old real fast
Band of Brothers - An amazing production that does a wonderful job at immersing you in that period, but as a TV show it could have been better

All just my opinions of course!
Tough crowd, for me BOB was the best TV there has ever been visually, story, acting and attention to detail.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Another one I’ll throw in there is It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Seems to get rave reviews from critics for being witty and well written, I just find it a bit cringe worthy (not Big Bang Theory level cringe but still). Its basically a grosser, dumber version of Seinfeld.
With respect, I disagree.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I recently revisited Mad Men, and I think it will age better than the most other greats it is lumped in with. But it is not always pleasant viewing so I understand it being mentioned here.

Killing Eve was recommended to me, and it was dreadful.

decorativeed

With respect, I disagree.

I agree with him that it is essentially a grosser, dumber Seinfeld, as it revolves around four (later five) main characters that are outsiders who don't seem to want to take part in normal society. I disagree, with him that that's a bad thing though!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I agree with him that it is essentially a grosser, dumber Seinfeld, as it revolves around four (later five) main characters that are outsiders who don't seem to want to take part in normal society. I disagree, with him that that's a bad thing though!
Yeah well. I don't need your trophies or your gold...

I just love how awful they all are. It's the anti-Friends.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Community. Watchable and had its moments but easily below Brooklyn 99, Parks and Rec and of course It’s Always Sunny.
I am just finishing second season, and I agree, Community is pretty boring.

decorativeed

Yeah, the fun comes from watching these totally stupid and utterly irredeemable characters deal with their situations.

lsd

The Oracle
Hard to really say anything as most people will pick shows other people like that they don't and consider them overrated as a result .

Maybe Sons Of Anarchy jusr because the main guy was a terrible actor

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I hated everyone it much earlier than that. Didn't make it through season 1

Irrational.

Peaky Blinders - I just couldn't get into it. And so many bellends copying the haircuts these days combined with the accent makes it intolerable.

Timdbro

Yeah, the fun comes from watching these totally stupid and utterly irredeemable characters deal with their situations.
I mean I know it's much loved, that's pretty much the point of the thread, to set yourself up for people disagreeing with your nominations :lol:
I do get what you're meant to enjoy in it, that's also why I compare it to Seinfeld - you're meant to cringe at how awful these characters are, while at the same time asking yourself whether deep down there's any of it in you too.
I'm not sure who started this comedy 'genre' (if you can call it that) incidentally, but seems like there's been quite a lot of it since the Gervaise / Peep Show stuff.

I just don't enjoy this particular one though. I haven't found any of the situations clever, or the characters interesting.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hard to really say anything as most people will pick shows other people like that they don't and consider them overrated as a result .

Maybe Sons Of Anarchy jusr because the main guy was a terrible actor
Before the season in Ireland it was fun but after that ....

littlepeasoup

Okay - Question.

What's your opinion on how long you should persist with a show before it gets 'good'?

I've been watching Ozark, and going through the first two seasons felt like a bit of a slog (took me months to get through the first 10-12 episodes), but as soon as I started watching the third series something clicked, and now I'm blasting through it and really enjoying it. Another one was Rick & Morty. I seriously watched the first episode, couldn't get over how annoying it was that Rick burped all the time, and didn't watch it again for like two years. Recently went back to it, having gotten over that first initial bad impression, and really enjoyed it.

Anyone else worried you'll miss out on a show before you've really given it a chance?

slyadams

Stranger Things - had to force myself to finish the first season
Lost - terrible pretty much from the first season
Arrested Development - ok in parts, but has gotten very tedious now
Heroes - crap

Nice to see no mention of the West Wing, for me that's the GOAT.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I mean I know it's much loved, that's pretty much the point of the thread, to set yourself up for people disagreeing with your nominations :lol:
I do get what you're meant to enjoy in it, that's also why I compare it to Seinfeld - you're meant to cringe at how awful these characters are, while at the same time asking yourself whether deep down there's any of it in you too.
I'm not sure who started this comedy 'genre' (if you can call it that) incidentally, but seems like there's been quite a lot of it since the Gervaise / Peep Show stuff.

I just don't enjoy this particular one though. I haven't found any of the situations clever, or the characters interesting.
The first 2 or 3 seasons are very on-the-nose, and not particularly clever. Just awful people being awful, which I still think is pretty good.

It definitely gets more creative around season 4, episodes start tying together, lots of call-backs and running themes. I think they mastered the anti-climactic ending too, and have kept throwing it in now and again. It's an acquired taste though, I guess.

GazTheLegend

Okay - Question.

What's your opinion on how long you should persist with a show before it gets 'good'?

I've been watching Ozark, and going through the first two seasons felt like a bit of a slog (took me months to get through the first 10-12 episodes), but as soon as I started watching the third series something clicked, and now I'm blasting through it and really enjoying it. Another one was Rick & Morty. I seriously watched the first episode, couldn't get over how annoying it was that Rick burped all the time, and didn't watch it again for like two years. Recently went back to it, having gotten over that first initial bad impression, and really enjoyed it.

Anyone else worried you'll miss out on a show before you've really given it a chance?
Gooooooood question.

I found the expanse a slog until 5 hours in but it's now my favourite show.

Similar for Breaking Bad.

Depends on what else you've got on your list in my opinion!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Only very few of them could be portrayed as Ayn Rand-ish. There was such a large array of characters, so much diversity in their portrayals, that it's unfair to summarize it as such. The main character notably could fall into that criticism, but then again it's set in America in the 60s and 70s so I think it's just representative of what reality in that social class would have been at the time.

One of the best written shows for me, perfectly executed. And I agree with what someone else said, that it will age well.

littlepeasoup

Gooooooood question.

I found the expanse a slog until 5 hours in but it's now my favourite show.

Similar for Breaking Bad.

Depends on what else you've got on your list in my opinion!
I feel like Breaking Bad is definitely everyone's go to "you need to stick with it through the first season" kinda show. Definitely had to force myself to keep watching knowing everyone was glowing about the second season onwards.

I honestly couldn't get into The Wire, so I'm going to give it another try after I'm finished with season 3 of Ozark.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Brooklyn 99 would be my choice, tried it several times, just isnt funny to me.
Weirdly, when I first seen the adverts I was like "not more American shite" and never thought I'd give it a try, but had it on in the background a couple times and had a couple chuckles. Quite like it in all honesty, dealt with a few touchy serious subjects well too.