Owen vs Saha

jim

In most joy
Watching Saha playing for Spurs, why did we let him go, only to replace him with Owen?

Both of them are generally crocks, and both of them are a bit inconsistent, probably a consequence of the previous point, but did we really improve on Saha with Owen?

And if we didn't, then what was the point of letting Saha leave?

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
very good point

Think was it not Saha who wanted first team football

Amir

Yeah, he's hardly Saha's 'replacement'. Just a stop gap we picked up until the likes of Welbeck and Macheda grow up. Nothing to do with Saha, different times.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Owen Saha's replacement? Owen's contract is thought to be tied to how much he plays and such so his basic salary is probably one of the lowest in our 25 man squad.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Saha could have been one of the top strikers in the EPL era only for his injuries.

Owen was on the decline and looking to pick up a medal or two before retiring.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As far as I am concerned, Owen's last minute winner against City was worth every penny he has picked up here.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
When Saha left we had Berba, Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo.

Louie wanted FT football.

jim

In most joy
I'm not saying that he was a direct replacement, more that Owen is filling exactly the same role at United currently that Saha could be. If we didn't need an experienced head with good finishing ability when Saha left, why did need one when Owen arrived?

I can't believe the salaries are that wildly different.

Wittmann45

To be fair, if not for his injuries, he would have been a better partner for Rooney than both Berba and Tevez (his united stint was not good).
Saha was great for Rooney, Ronaldo, and our counter attacking system. I agree that he would have been a better partner for Rooney.

Saha was great, but I can't help but remember how much he was criticized, even before his massive injury problems of 2007 on. Even though he was in the bet form of his life in 2006, a lot of threads on here would appear concerning his penalty taking or criticisms of his finishing.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yea Saha used to get rinsed on here, I think a few were glad to see him go. Such a shame it never worked out...

misterredmist

Saha will be fine for Spurs, until his next injury, within 15mins of his next appearance.

Owen is a better tipster for Fergie and the United players, Saha was rubbish with the horses.......

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Or yes. If you're talking top 10, and Saha had had 7 or 8 good, injury free seasons then there's no reason to say he couldn't have had.

Always had an amazing physique for a striker, and still showing his class fitting instantly into that Spurs side.
Or no. I always liked Saha. He could have been a quality player but he was never and would never have been one of the best the league has seen.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
And I still cant understand why the feck we gave Owen the number 7
Agree, still find it a strange decision given the history of the number.

Always loved Saha as a player and I've always said an injury free Saha could have been world (yes world) class! Complete striker on his day - pace, power, finishing, technique, finess...the lot! Shame he couldn't keep up the form and fitness he was in at the start of the 06/07 season.