Ozil

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ozil on a free is exactly the type of transfer Mourinho would do to replace Mata. He loves himself a former player on the cheap.

The Purley King

Question for people more knowledgeable than me...

Has he always bottled big games or is that him just being arsenalised?

clarkydaz

Question for people more knowledgeable than me...

Has he always bottled big games or is that him just being arsenalised?
i thought the concensus was even at Madrid Jose took him off in the big tight games. Against the smaller teams he would run riot creating for Ronaldo

AllezLesDiables

You don't understand football. If he was wank, he wouldn't be a starter for the current World Champions. Maybe you know more than Jogi Lowe and should be a candidate to coach Die Mannschaft next.
The problem with Ozil is that you need to surround him with top class players so his deficiencies are masked. Once you put him on a team like Arsenal he becomes exposed.

jeff_goldblum

People forget that Ozil was great in Mourinho's most un-Mourinho team, Jose changed his usual preferred style to make best use of Ronaldo. Ozil's role in that team was to facilitate Ronaldo. We don't have any player good enough that we can afford to dedicate another player to assist him and do little else.

clarkydaz

People forget that Ozil was great in Mourinho's most un-Mourinho team, Jose changed his usual preferred style to make best use of Ronaldo. Ozil's role in that team was to facilitate Ronaldo. We don't have any player good enough that we can afford to dedicate another player to assist him and do little else.
I recall Ronaldo being openly pissed off about him being sold, as he was good at helping his numbers

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Or just a fussy player who's used to winning? Played over 150 games under Mourinho in a stacked Madrid team. The fact that he's stalling on Arsenal despite being offered a reportedly big contract suggests he wants to compete elsewhere.
His work ethic is non existent.... still a huge no!

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Can't see Ozil working at Utd. You should be building your team around Pogba, he should be playing in a free role with Matic and Herrera behind him. Signing Ozil will force Pogba back into a two in midfield and make your team off-balance IMO Also I might be slightly biased as a Chelsea fan but I'd much rather have Mata ahead of Ozil

Can see him going to Juventus or Bayern

Reactions: Penna

herbert

@jeff_goldblum

In his time in Madrid he was certainly looking out for Ronaldo, but I don't think that Benzema, Higuan, Di Maria (or Kaka!) had any complaints. Don't think that Lukaku and Ibra would complain either.
There is a 25-minute highlight video of Ozil's best passes in Madrid on youtube ("Mesut Ozil - Welcome to Arsenal" ;)) you may want to check if you can afford the time.
The video not only seems to contradict your statement that Ozil's role was solely to make Ronaldo shine, it also shows that Ozil's assist stats are indeed not inflated by playing with the best striker in the world. The beauty of this video is, that you will watch world class players like Ronaldo, Benzema etc. missing chance after chance put on a plate for them by Ozil.

Reactions: SteveJ

Jib

If we sold Mata or Mkhi, yes. Otherwise no.

Jib

Can't see Ozil working at Utd. You should be building your team around Pogba, he should be playing in a free role with Matic and Herrera behind him. Signing Ozil will force Pogba back into a two in midfield and make your team off-balance IMO Also I might be slightly biased as a Chelsea fan but I'd much rather have Mata ahead of Ozil

Can see him going to Juventus or Bayern
I agree. We should build the team around Pogba so we must buy a WC #8 because Herrera isn't good enough.

Matic
New #8 Pogba

But if Mourinho want to play in a 4231, Ozil is the best choice. He's one if not the best #10 in the world. Ozil is twice the player that Mata and Mkhi are.

Underrated player !

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Easily better than Mata or Mhiki.
Needs a manager like Mourinho.

Blackwidow

He'll go to Bayern. He fits perfectly their current transfer strategy.
Bayern never was in for him before. Not in 2010 and not in 2013.

@jeff_goldblum

In his time in Madrid he was certainly looking out for Ronaldo, but I don't think that Benzema, Higuan, Di Maria (or Kaka!) had any complaints. Don't think that Lukaku and Ibra would complain either.
There is a 25-minute highlight video of Ozil's best passes in Madrid on youtube ("Mesut Ozil - Welcome to Arsenal" ;)) you may want to check if you can afford the time.
The video not only seems to contradict your statement that Ozil's role was solely to make Ronaldo shine, it also shows that Ozil's assist stats are indeed not inflated by playing with the best striker in the world. The beauty of this video is, that you will watch world class players like Ronaldo, Benzema etc. missing chance after chance put on a plate for them by Ozil.
German national team - in the first 3 years - that is mainly Özil's time at Real, too.

Clas Sified

Griezmann :D

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
"Lazy" is just a myth because of his body language and something like that is perfect for the media.
There is no stat that shows you, that he is lazy.

Bayern, Juve and Milan are my favourites, but still hope for an extension.

Morpheus 7

Wouldn't want that quitter at United. Weak mentality, walking around the pitch instead of getting stuck in when his team needs him. He doesn't fancy a fight when it gets tough. Luxury player, he's been on holiday since he got to Arsenal. He gets his extended break in the new year by Wenger, typical Arsenal player.

MeUnited

Would have him in a heartbeat. Guessing most saying no just listen to the media rhetoric about how he's lazy and has a bad attitude etc etc. He's much better than Mkhi and although not as much of a goal scorer than Mata he's slightly better than him too.

manutddjw

Signing him would be pointless. We already have Mata and Mkhi and while he's better attack wise, both are better defensively and in this team you have to be able to do both as Martial can attest. It's like for like with different qualities.

flappyjay

I don't care what everyone else here is saying he would feed Lukaku all day long. Watch highlights of his supposed bad games you will see him give donkeys like welbeck guilt edged chances . I would want him here. Our rivals have assist kings who regularly get assist numbers in the 15-18 range in the league alone

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm keen to say no due to age and his sulky personality (I've never been a fan) but considering it will be on a free, and if he replaced someone like Mata in the squad as a #10, it might be worth it as I see him as a upgrade - if our wings are sorted, IMO.

settembrini

Ozil annoys me when he is playing for Arsenal. Don't think I could handle watching him every week for us.

ZAGREB RED

On his game, he is sublime, but is almost the very definition of a fair-weather player, will go missing when you need him the most.

montpelier

for 4 sublime touches a game, when he can be bothered, you must be joking, :nervous:

redflair

A better passer than anyone in the United team right now.

Would beef up an already solid squad - but maybe Mourinho will be looking at younger recruits next summer.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
I don't care if he stays or leaves. Terrible in big games and not someone I'd see any top club would be willing to clamor for.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Wenger the player killer strikes again. At Madrid, Ozil was instrumental in them winning the league, being a key figure against Barcelona and other big teams. At Arsenal he is a liability in big games.

montpelier

the amount of defensive cover & workrate we'd see from this guy & Zlatan in the same team would probably get matched by my Grandad (City fan who died in 1961)

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
"Lazy" is just a myth because of his body language and something like that is perfect for the media.
There is no stat that shows you, that he is lazy.

Bayern, Juve and Milan are my favourites, but still hope for an extension.
After watching him at Anfield just over a week ago, it ain't a myth. He looked like Berbatov reincarnated casually wandering around while his team were being torn asunder.

The rare occasions I have watched Arsenal, he's usually the same. Nice touch here and there, then dawdle around. Kinda reminds of when you watch Legend matches and see older overweight once great players and they'll pull off something here and there that remind you of their talent, then spend 10 minutes walking to catch their breath.

lococol

Paper talk says he would love to work with Jose again. Jose can get nearly any player back to their best if they want to work with him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm very confident that we'll sign him.

binary bot
I knew there'd be a link a few days after posting this.