Ozil

Robbie Boy

Was world class at Real. Top assister in La Liga in all of his 3 seasons there. Still think they made a mistake selling him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Was world class at Real. Top assister in La Liga in all of his 3 seasons there. Still think they made a mistake selling him.
It worked out very well for them once they sold Ozil. They signed Bale who played good enough role in 2-3 CL wins.

Robbie Boy

It worked out very well for them once they sold Ozil. They signed Bale who played good enough role in 2-3 CL wins.
They sold Di Maria the year after and I think Bale more took up his role. They bought Isco in the summer of 2013 and I think he was brought in to take over the No. 10 role.

Obviously they went on to be super successful but Ozil was brilliant there. I know there were some fitness issues with him not lasting the 90 minutes but he was an excellent provider for both Ronaldo and Benzema. As a pure No.10 he was fantastic for Madrid.

The fans and players were gutted to see him go but obviously it was all about raising funds for the mega signing of Bale. Link below regarding his departure.

His Arsenal tenure hasn't been anything amazing though when he was on it, he could still be class. Post signing his new contract it's all been farcical and I do think he's been pretty woeful during the rare opportunities he's gotten in recent times. He's a flawed player for sure and when the chips are down, he's not someone you want to be in the trenches with. But at Real, where the environment suited him, he was a really top class player. England was never really a good move for him imo.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/e...236071/why-real-madrid-had-to-sell-mesut-ozil

roonster09

Scout
They sold Di Maria the year after and I think Bale more took up his role. They bought Isco in the summer of 2013 and I think he was brought in to take over the No. 10 role.

Obviously they went on to be super successful but Ozil was brilliant there. I know there were some fitness issues with him not lasting the 90 minutes but he was an excellent provider for both Ronaldo and Benzema. As a pure No.10 he was fantastic for Madrid.

The fans and players were gutted to see him go but obviously it was all about raising funds for the mega signing of Bale. Link below regarding his departure.

His Arsenal tenure hasn't been anything amazing though when he was on it, he could still be class. Post signing his new contract it's all been farcical and I do think he's been pretty woeful during the rare opportunities he's gotten in recent times. He's a flawed player for sure and when the chips are down, he's not someone you want to be in the trenches with. But at Real, where the environment suited him, he was a really top class player. England was never really a good move for him imo.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/e...236071/why-real-madrid-had-to-sell-mesut-ozil
Yeah but with players like Bale or even Di Maria they can play 4-3-3 with midfield of Kroos, Modric, Casemiro.

Obviously awesome player for Madrid but like Coutinho at Liverpool, they sort of improved once they sold the players.

Robbie Boy

Yeah but with players like Bale or even Di Maria they can play 4-3-3 with midfield of Kroos, Modric, Casemiro.

Obviously awesome player for Madrid but like Coutinho at Liverpool, they sort of improved once they sold the players.
They certainly improved during the Zidane era and moving to the midfield 3 you mentioned was a huge factor in that. Nevertheless, he was a really top No.10 at Real. Even though they were managed by Mourinho back then, they were actually pretty decent to watch.

roonster09

Scout
They certainly improved during the Zidane era and moving to the midfield 3 you mentioned was a huge factor in that. Nevertheless, he was a really top No.10 at Real. Even though they were managed by Mourinho back then, they were actually pretty decent to watch.
Yeah, he was awesome player to watch, especially with Ronaldo making all the runs.

Robbie Boy

Yeah, he was awesome player to watch, especially with Ronaldo making all the runs.
I think people forget just how good he was based on his semi-disasterous Arsenal spell. He would have really thrived somewhere like Juve after he left Real. A move to England just didn't suit imo.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think people forget just how good he was based on his semi-disasterous Arsenal spell. He would have really thrived somewhere like Juve after he left Real. A move to England just didn't suit imo.
He didn't get the titles that a player like him deserved, but I certainly wouldn't call up to Wenger leaving semi disastrous.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
he had a good start - won arsenals player of the year in 2016 but somewhere around 2017 / 2018 he had faded and from there his form just collapsed after his contract got signed - should probably have moved a couple of years ago but I guess nobody was going to match his current wages
Strange to think he spent only 3 years at Real Madrid and is now in his 8th season at arsenal - when I think of him at his best i still see him in the white of Madrid (and to a lesser extent Germany)

roonster09

Scout
Yeah shouldn't have moved to Arsenal. Like you said club like Juve would have raised his profile way too much with all the league titles.

Robbie Boy

He didn't get the titles that a player like him deserved, but I certainly wouldn't call up to Wenger leaving semi disastrous.

No, he was pretty brilliant when on form. I'm alluding to what happened in general post signing his new contract. His spell will be remembered very indifferently but he had a spell of showing his quality.

Robbie Boy

he had a good start - won arsenals player of the year in 2016 but somewhere around 2017 / 2018 he had faded and from there his form just collapsed after his contract got signed - should probably have moved a couple of years ago but I guess nobody was going to match his current wages
Strange to think he spent only 3 years at Real Madrid and is now in his 8th season at arsenal - when I think of him at his best i still see him in the white of Madrid (and to a lesser extent Germany)
For me, his peak was certainly his spell at Real. He had some moments at Arsenal but he was a hell of a player at Real.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I definitely think that plays a part. At Madrid he was wonderful to watch, and played a big part in their attacking prowess. The creativity and finesse he bought to the team was superb and I wasn’t surprised that a lot of his Madrid teammates were gutted to see him go, players like him are pretty rare.

I’m normally pretty disparaging about football fans bringing in intangible mental qualities when debating players, but I do think Ozil is a clear cut case of his mentality sometimes working against him. As soon as it looked like he’d have to fight for his place at Real he wanted out. At Arsenal he had some great spells (I remember at one point Sanchez couldn’t stop scoring, but Ozil was orchestrating the attack brilliantly at the same time), but when he didn’t have the full support of the manager he wilted. The type of player who is perfect for raising the level of the team when things are going in the right direction, but fades pretty hard when things are going against them.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Anyone but Giroud in the 2015/16 season and he would have demolished that assists record and put it out of reach for years.He had 16 assists by January ! :eek:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Great player. I still remember i was so jealous when Arsenal signed him. Turns out we didn't miss much
I dunno, mate. Didn't he get like 20 assists with Giroud, Welbeck and Sanogo as their CF options? If we had signed him in 2013 who knows how many he would've got with van Persie, Rooney and Chicharito.
Ozil and Hazard. I wished both in their prime had played for United at one point of time in their careers
Same. Them two alongside Rooney and RvP would've been nice. Personally, I'd add Cazorla, too. I think he would've formed a nice partnership with Carrick, but I digress!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I dunno, mate. Didn't he get like 20 assists with Giroud, Welbeck and Sanogo as their CF options? If we had signed him in 2013 who knows how many he would've got with van Persie, Rooney and Chicharito.

Same. Them two alongside Rooney and RvP would've been nice. Personally, I'd add Cazorla, too. I think he would've formed a nice partnership with Carrick, but I digress!
Similar to what we think. Imagine having RVP in front of Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla, Ramsey & Wilshere.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Similar to what we think. Imagine having RVP in front of Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla, Ramsey & Wilshere.
Can't blame you for thinking that. That would've made for a hell of a side. I always thought Koscielny and Mertesacker were an underrated CB pairing at the back for you, too. Had Cazorla stayed healthy, and had Wenger got in a more lethal CF, you would've had a team that could've been serious contenders.

Bwuk

I don't know the ins and outs of the situation, but it seems mental to me with how sh*te Arsenal are that Ozil couldn't get into the side.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Mesut Özil holds the record for most chances created in a Premier League season, breaking Frank Lampard’s record of 134 with 146 in his 2015/16 campaign with Arsenal.
This was posted this week so I assume his chances create record still stands despite D.Silva and De Bryune seemingly creating bucketloads a game since their arrivals at City. He really was incredible but, unfortunately, probably won't be remembered as such.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Apparently, Fenerbahce has excluded him from the first team squad.
Had an argument of sorts with the manager apparently,
MLS or retirement beckons now I'd say

indianabones

Supports
West Brom
Doesn't strike me as being overly smart. He could have had a very good career in EPL but felt he was not prepared to put in the hard work on and off the pitch. So sad because his talent has clearly not been fulfilled.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Doesn't strike me as being overly smart. He could have had a very good career in EPL but felt he was not prepared to put in the hard work on and off the pitch. So sad because his talent has clearly not been fulfilled.
I think his issue was that he never really developed beyond a certain stage. He was unreal in many aspects but very, very bad in others. For somebody who could manipulate a football like Özil and this composure om the ball, his finishing was atrocious. And when the 4231 was replaced by systems with three man midfields, he was never able to make the shift to an 8 because of his poor work against the ball. Could've been so much more, even if he was still one of my favorite players in his generation.

Luke1995

Think he still has some market in europe. Don't be surprised if a german club comes in for him.

Don't MLS clubs got some kind of wage cap for the big names ?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I think his issue was that he never really developed beyond a certain stage. He was unreal in many aspects but very, very bad in others. For somebody who could manipulate a football like Özil and this composure om the ball, his finishing was atrocious. And when the 4231 was replaced by systems with three man midfields, he was never able to make the shift to an 8 because of his poor work against the ball. Could've been so much more, even if he was still one of my favorite players in his generation.
You've hit the nail one the head. De Bruyne / Cazorla / Odegaard / Modric / Fabregas / Silva (both of them) are just a few examples of 10s who played just as well or even better when moved deeper. Ozil actually covered a surprising amount of ground. But the relatively poor quality of his pressing and defensive positioning meant you could never really trust him as an 8 in a 433.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is the biggest myth aboiut Ozil,

He consistently ranked in the highest distance covered, most sprints, most passes, most touches for Arsenal in his time there.

He was actually incredibly hardworking but had the touch of the Berbatovs about him, in that it appeared to outsiders that he was lethargic or not working hard enough but actually was.

i would also go so far to say that winning the world cup is hardly an unfulfilling career, not many players get to do that and to play every match in that world cup winning team.

Vaultech

And now he refuses to leave the club despite being frozen out. Guess where that happened before?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He will ride it out until the summer and see if that can be sorted. Otherwise take his check and probably one last adventure in the MLS to finish it off. He has launched various side gigs in the last few years, he'll be alright.

Charlie Foley

Can't blame you for thinking that. That would've made for a hell of a side. I always thought Koscielny and Mertesacker were an underrated CB pairing at the back for you, too. Had Cazorla stayed healthy, and had Wenger got in a more lethal CF, you would've had a team that could've been serious contenders.
Koscielny kind of reminded me of the Wayne Rooney of centrebacks in that the distance between his top level and bottom level performances was absolutely ridiculous

Pablo18th

Anyone but Giroud in the 2015/16 season and he would have demolished that assists record and put it out of reach for years.He had 16 assists by January ! :eek:
He barely created big chances himself after January. He was average in the second half of that season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Quality player in his early and mid career and but the latter part will be something to forget. Him and Sánchez made an average Arsenal team somewhat interesting.

I await the Arse fans 20 paragraph response to this

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wonder how he would have fared here. It would have been under Moyes so probably not that well