Passion

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Considering the monumental feck up by the lads, the least as a supporter you could expect is a bit of urgency and passion?

We got feck all of that today. Again.

Over to you Fergie, sort them out.

The White Pele

The effort and tempo was there in the first half. Unfortunately it fizzled out after half-time once it became clear we weren't going to post a big score.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I thought it was decent today. Do some people mute the sound on their tv/laptop?

EDIT - feck sake, misread this.

I thought we started the first half well and also the second half but unfortunately it just went gradually. Nothing we can do now, no point either. Can't wait for next season.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I hate this word. How exactly do you measure "passion" and "heart".

We played very well today. We were never going to win by 4 or 5. Swansea are good team.

CantonaVeron

Our players looked tired and devoid of ideas in that second half. There was no direction from the middle of the park. Rooney and Valencia have hit a small slump in form and we look pretty toothless. Lack of investment in that central area has cost us not passion. Everyone including Ferguson said we needed someone in central midfield but the Glazers know best why spend on a central midfielder when you can pay off some more interest

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
I hate this word. How exactly do you measure "passion" and "heart".

We played very well today. We were never going to win by 4 or 5. Swansea are good team.
Sorry I should have said second half.

I've lost count of how many times we go a goal or two up and completely take our foot off. How do you measure it? By not time wasting? So many times today we walked to throw ins, walked to goal kicks, walked to take free kicks. The staff all sat relaxed and content on the side, whilst we sit back and play it about in 2nd gear. It's the same story,Despite the fact the chances of us winning the title are almost none, the fact its City and the facts its possible should be more than enough.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thought we played well today. Ok we are going to lose title to City but fair play to the lads been a great effort in the league this season. Roll on next season.

Cantona07

Most Games are played with ONE Ball but the REAL g
Our players looked tired and devoid of ideas in that second half. There was no direction from the middle of the park. Rooney and Valencia have hit a small slump in form and we look pretty toothless. Lack of investment in that central area has cost us not passion. Everyone including Ferguson said we needed someone in central midfield but the Glazers know best why spend on a central midfielder when you can pay off some more interest
Why alway blame the Glazers:confused: Fergie spent 50mil quid at the beginning of the season. He chose the players.

Cantona07

Most Games are played with ONE Ball but the REAL g
Thought we played well today. Ok we are going to lose title to City but fair play to the lads been a great effort in the league this season. Roll on next season.
Heres the problem. Jump in to conclusions very quickly. When we were 8 points clear, everyone was like "we won the title' now with one game to go, anything can happen, people say we lost the league:houllier:

izzydiggler

It wasn't today we lacked passion and urgency - it was last Monday. That performance will hurt for a long time - especially next Sunday as Tevez is lifting the PL trophy.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What were you expecting today? Did you really expect us to go out and win 10-0 like we realistically needed to.

This whole passion thing annoys me to an extent. Good from the team if you have it, but we lack in quality compared to City right now; not passion.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
What were you expecting today? Did you really expect us to go out and win 10-0 like we realistically needed to.

This whole passion thing annoys me to an extent. Good from the team if you have it, but we lack in quality compared to City right now; not passion.
Ofcourse not, I'm not a clueless Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime like most fans. What I did expect is the players to put up a bit of a challenge, a bit more of an effort.

CantonaVeron

Why alway blame the Glazers:confused: Fergie spent 50mil quid at the beginning of the season. He chose the players.
He also sold a few as well, O'Shea and Brown went we replaced with Jones, VDS retired we replaced with De Gea and obviously we bought Young in because we needed someone to backup Nani and Valencia. It was clear at that point we need a central midfield player and we should have stretched for it but financial restrictions meant we didn't. Over the last 5 years we have a lower net spend than Stoke City thats just ridiculas considering the amount of money coming into the club.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Ofcourse not, I'm not a clueless Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime like most fans. What I did expect is the players to put up a bit of a challenge, a bit more of an effort.
They actually did though, but it was more a lack of quality in the team to be able to go out and destroy the opposition as opposed to their passion.

Ludens the Red

Considering the monumental feck up by the lads, the least as a supporter you could expect is a bit of urgency and passion?

Nonsense, the players are human beings and the result earlier would have completely deflated them.

On a day like today you can't be critical of urgency and passion, you'd have been better off making this thread after any of the games against Wigan, Everton and city. Not today.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
They actually did though, but it was more a lack of quality in the team to be able to go out and destroy the opposition as opposed to their passion.
First half for about half hour maybe. That was it, 1/3 of a game.

Maybe I expect too much, but it seems a lot of fans accept minimal standards these days.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
First half for about half hour maybe. That was it, 1/3 of a game.

Maybe I expect too much, but it seems a lot of fans accept minimal standards these days.
Well I just disagree. I just saw a team that lacked the quality to destroy the opposition; not the passion.

acrebo

How dare our opponents stop us destroying them...

The game went flat when it became apparent that it wasn't going to e a cricket score. Despite that, we kept plugging away and created chances throughout. I think everyone showed passion and desire from start to finish to be honest, Swansea just had the nerve to actually make it a contest in the second half.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Today was a shit day, I'm happy Utd were able to get the win. The atmosphere sounded flatter than flat.

United fans were flat on the day they lose the league to City? Shocker. You can guarantee if City had dropped points the place would be rocking. Completely circumstantial.
Fancy reading the actual post again lads?

How dare our opponents stop us destroying them...

The game went flat when it became apparent that it wasn't going to e a cricket score. Despite that, we kept plugging away and created chances throughout. I think everyone showed passion and desire from start to finish to be honest, Swansea just had the nerve to actually make it a contest in the second half.
So you're happy with the performance then?

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!
Theres was plenty of urgency and passion out there, typified by the kick off when Scholes decided to attack straight away, showed intent. Swansea made it difficult, they keep the ball well, and it does wear the team down knowing we're running out of time to get more goals. Can't fault them...

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Swansea were only interested in keeping the score down. Their keeper was time-wasting every chance he got. Just one of those days.

Cold_Boy

Also Swansea are a good team but they really aren't playing for anything and were not that good today. Haven't they got 1 win in their last 8?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I agree. We should sign Scott Parker too add some passion.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It was fine today. There was a lack of composure rather than a lack of urgency, and it was always going to be difficult to combine the two against a side who are probably better than us at keeping possession under pressure.

What's a bit feeble though is it took a situation like today to actually force a Manchester United side into starting and playing a game like Manchester United. Where was that level of urgency in the first half against Everton the other week? ...or in basically every other home game this season?

We've given off this horrible vibe in games this season where it seems we think we can just stand still and success will automatically be delivered on a plate. We desperately need something new to get the life back in the side.

There were some positives today though. Was really impressed with Young's determination and the way he didn't let it affect his decision making or quality on the ball. Smalling too. These guys are who we'll be depending on to show that sort of attitude in the future.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
It was fine today. There was a lack of composure rather than a lack of urgency, and it was always going to be difficult to combine the two against a side who are probably better than us at keeping possession under pressure.

What's a bit feeble though is it took a situation like today to actually force a Manchester United side into starting and playing a game like Manchester United. Where was that level of urgency in the first half against Everton the other week? ...or in basically every other home game this season?

We've given off this horrible vibe in games this season where it seems we think we can just stand still and success will automatically be delivered on a plate. We desperately need something new to get the life back in the side.

There were some positives today though. Was really impressed with Young's determination and the way he didn't let it affect his decision making or quality on the ball. Smalling too. These guys are who we'll be depending on to show that sort of attitude in the future.
To me it seems we've turned into the Arsenal of a few years back, always playing the extra pass when a chance to shoot is on. I used to slate them for that as we would be so clinical but it's almost as if half the side are afraid to shoot.

Agree with your assessment on Young though. I hadn't warmed to him at all this season, but he has come up with the goods in big games a few times this year and today he was the only one along with Smalling, Carrick and Scholes that seemed to have a bit of confidence and belief about his play right to the end.

yamo123x

We didnt lack passion today- we lacked that extra creativity to break down stubborn defences as we have many occasions this year. The game that lost us the title was the city game- end of. We had the chance and the team failed miserably that night.

Incidenfally We put more crosses in the box today than in any other game this season and only one chicarito header over and one smalling header wide.We need a powerful target man an aerial threat who can thrive on the deliveries and create havoc.

Leaving on a positive note or two I thought Young had his best game for the club today and Evra's best game since early season.

We need an influx of real quality this summer- no bargain basement players but real quality.

Cina

I think we were fine today. I'm sure it was hard for the players to get motivated given that City had pretty much wrapped the title up half an hour before that.

iczster

Lord Sugartits (and worst transfer muppet ever)
Just got back from the game, there was some great scenes at the end with the stretty in full voice, particularly when Fergie give his speech to the fans.

Your right though the city result did put a dampener on things, as soon as city got their second everyone came flooding into their seats with faces like they had been sucking lemons.

There did seem a large(er) number of tourists around today, my guess is they got in early with their tickets expecting to see trophy celebrations.

Football eh Bloody Hell.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK

I think that urgency was there, we had quite a lot of goal scoring opportunities but the quality was lacking. They brought on Brittain in the second half and held on to the ball much better. I think that the subs were poor too. Clev was OK but the Berbs looked like he was depressed and between him and Jav we finished with no goal threat at all.

iczster

Lord Sugartits (and worst transfer muppet ever)
I think that urgency was there, we had quite a lot of goal scoring opportunities but the quality was lacking. They brought on Brittain in the second half and held on to the ball much better. I think that the subs were poor too. Clev was OK but the Berbs looked like he was depressed and between him and Jav we finished with no goal threat at all.
To be fair mate I think the Berba substitute was Fergie doing the right thing and letting him have his last appearance at Old Trafford. The concencus is he will be gone during the summer.

It certainly felt that way as well.

acrebo

So you're happy with the performance then?
All things considered, yeah. We played some nice quick football and made sure we didn't resort to long ball desperation. Hernandez was busy but poor but everyone else put the effort in and we didn't do a great deal wrong. In any usual title-chasing scenario, a 2-0 win would be a job well done.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Spot on.

The sad thing is that we were forced into playing with that level of initiative and intensity. This sort of performance has become the exception, not the rule. I fear that a conservative streak is deeply ingrained in us now. It's going to require a culture change for us to play like that week in week out.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
We played well but the odds of us getting a cricket score were minute. We needed it and it didn't happen but I still think the players did a good job. We remained patient when we could easily have tried too hard and not been able to score at all. At least this way we are in contention should city drop points vs QPR