Pathetic fans booing Maguire

BuzzKillington

One question to everyone, what if we were winning 1-0 in this seasons UCL final, ETH throws him on to help defend the last few minutes and he ends up doing something stupid like gifting a chance to the opposition which they then score in the 87min to level 1-1, then just as you were trying to get that out of your system in the 93rd min he scores an own goal to complete the turn around for the opposition...

Would it be justified to boo him after that!?
Or, like what if he broke into your house at night time and took a dump in your toilet cistern, so every time you flushed, poo water came out. Would it be justified under those circumstances to boo him? I think so.

padzilla

Hipster
What about Greenwood?
Good question to be fair - I would have to draw the line at comparing the booing a player because we think he's not good enough and another player because it looks, to all extents and purposes, that he committed a vile attack on his partner.

padzilla

Hipster
I would also say we need to tread a fine line between fair criticism and constant booing of one of our own which could have horrible effects on his mental health.

At the end of the day, he's a human being and the majority of decent society would live by the mantra of treating others as they themselves expect to be treated.

It almost becomes bullying, if in fact that's not exactly what it is. To deliberately boo someone playing for your own team because you think they aren't good enough is pretty lousy.

Loon

:lol:
I've just seen that African politician(?) roasting him. That's harsh.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
One question to everyone, what if we were winning 1-0 in this seasons UCL final, ETH throws him on to help defend the last few minutes and he ends up doing something stupid like gifting a chance to the opposition which they then score in the 87min to level 1-1, then just as you were trying to get that out of your system in the 93rd min he scores an own goal to complete the turn around for the opposition...

Would it be justified to boo him after that!?
No.

Look, it's your money, boo if you want. Fans who do so just look like idiots. Maybe spend your energy supporting the rest of the team you don't have an irrational hatred for?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've never booed a United player (or ex player for that matter - although might have laughed at one or two) and won't start now. But people pay their money and are entitled to do so. That said, Joel or Avram, if you're reading this: "Booooooooooo" :devil:

JediSith

I don’t want to attribute this to a nationality but in this case what is likely a large American fan base: they read and see things online (like curious children do when they want to find out about something more) and they copy. This is happening with football a lot in the last decade or so with them. They’ve probably seen memes, videos of jokes that have been made this side of the pond and they copy the behaviour. it’s their way of trying to “fit in” with the banter. But their humour isn’t the same as ours especially - it just comes out wrong and slightly cringe. And booing your own player is just not the right way to go about fitting in, in anyones books.
I’m not American but to the “they don’t understand The match going fans” argument loses credibility when you consider Nani, Fellaini, Pogba have been booed by match going fans at OT and away

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
I've never booed a United player (or ex player for that matter - although might have laughed at one or two) and won't start now. But people pay their money and are entitled to do so. That said, Joel or Avram, if you're reading this: "Booooooooooo" :devil:
Same, never outright booed a player, regardless of how poor or how awful an attitude.

Doesn't mean you can't mutter "c*nt" under your breath anytime they're involved or in Maguire's case, "oh god, don't feck it up".

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I’m not American but to the “they don’t understand The match going fans” argument loses credibility when you consider Nani, Fellaini, Pogba have been booed by match going fans at OT and away
Were these player booed before they even touched the ball?

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Were these player booed before they even touched the ball?
I think they were booed during matches due to errors. I don't mind others booing in that context, as long as they move on and treat the next game as a clean slate.

It's when it's constant, follows them into fan interactions and social media where I think people need to get a life.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think they were booed during matches due to errors. I don't mind others booing in that context, as long as they move on and treat the next game as a clean slate.

It's when it's constant, follows them into fan interactions and social media where I think people need to get a life.
Indeed, you can boo a poor performance but before the game even starts is out of order IMO

Andy_Cole

I’ve never Booed. I’ve just sang Booooourns a few times.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I would never boo. But my steel-edge sense of silent indifference would cross onto the pitch.

Pass and Move

Not sure I have ever booed a player, but I’ve no problem with fans doing it. If you want the adulation from the fans and the riches it brings, then you have to accept the booing when they aren’t happy with you. A comedian has to accept the heckling if their set is terrible.
I’m Maguire’s care, isn’t it more his arrogance fans have an issue with? We’ve not booed far worse United players over the year.

Fabio Rochemback

I’m Maguire’s care, isn’t it more his arrogance fans have an issue with?
What has he done to be perceived as arrogant? The only thing I can think of is cupping his ears when he scored against Albania, as if that somehow silenced his critics. Which, while a bit cringe, is nothing more than that.

Pass and Move

What has he done to be perceived as arrogant? The only thing I can think of is cupping his ears when he scored against Albania, as if that somehow silenced his critics. Which, while a bit cringe, is nothing more than that.
His interview about managers continuing to pick him pissed off a lot of fans for a start.

RuudTom83

Credit to Harry he has never made a fuss about being push down the pecking order. His only crime has been losing confidence and not being able to get it back.

I’ll never agree with anyone booing him.

Stadjer

He just doesnt seem to be able to 'read the room'. He lost his place in the team, makes mistake after mistake, is used in parlements as a description for disaster and basically is a worldwide meme of a footballer.

Then in interviews he doesnt say 'i need to do better' or something like that but acts like everything is fine. "Managers pick me so i must be good" and "i have nothing to prove" just arent the things fans want to hear at that time. Earcupping as if he silenced the haters after scoring against Albania also isnt what fans want to see.

Borussia Teeth

I've never booed a utd player. Never will. I've shouted all kinds of shit at oppo players (and fans) and I think match goers have paid money and can boo if they want. I still think it's distasteful to boo one of your own though.

JediSith

There’s enough to see that Maguire is one of those fake humble guys.

red.knight

I don't like constantly slagging players off but why do Maguire get booed by Utd and England fans? There have been players who have performed worse than Maguire.

Last edited:

Strelok

Credit to Harry he has never made a fuss about being push down the pecking order. His only crime has been losing confidence and not being able to get it back.

I’ll never agree with anyone booing him.
His only crime is being slow af and a bit clumsy as a result. I don't think he'd have any issue with confidence despite the abuses. He played exactly like when he arrived and still tried to attempt those ridiculous long passes. He seems to be a quite thick guy imo. The new system just exposes all his weaknesses. Slow brain and slow feet.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I always say to my mate every game maguire plays he does one of two things, either tries to win the ball at the half way line and completely botches it and they have a clear run to our area (him being too slow to catch up) or the same scenario but instead he drags them down and gets booked.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Indeed, you can boo a poor performance but before the game even starts is out of order IMO
Exactly.
It's that sort of negativity that can kill a players confidence and sometimes career overall.

Imagine thinking you're going to redeem yourself, put in a great performance etc then hit with a hail storm of boo's, jeer's and (let's be honest, usually strong) personal insults.

No wonder players seem to have a huge drop off at United, when a player has a bad run, they usually never stop getting worse and I think that relentless hammering plays a huge part.

FCAES_7

With Maguire it's confidence more than he is a bad defender! He is not a type of defender that United needs but the abuse he gets from everyone all over the world is just sad. It's such abuse that will get you into a bad mental state and not only him but his whole Family! I hope we sell him so he can get a fresh start somewhere else and thrives. Like someone mentioned earlier we as United fans kill our players for simple mistakes and then ask why no one wants to pay for them! While Mount goes for 50M we can't sell anyone for more than 25M.

Glorio

IMO if supporters boo a player then they’re showing their disapproval for that player being selected and are therefore clearly sending a message of disapproval to the manager who selected said player.

Never been a boo boy myself but I can understand why a hard working bloke on minimum wage would boo a player on £200,000 a week for not being arsed enough to make an effort.
Only Maguire can't be faulted for a lack of effort.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
Only Maguire can't be faulted for a lack of effort.
Fair do’s if that’s how you see it but it is, of course, a matter of opinion and I didn’t actually say that Maguire should be faulted for lack of effort so I’m puzzled by you aiming your Harry fan boy angst at me.

What I said about the booing of Maguire by his own clubs supporters was “IMO if supporters boo a player then they’re showing their disapproval for that player being selected and are therefore clearly sending a message of disapproval to the manager who selected said player.”

You did understand that I was saying there was that what was seen as being poor management was the cause of the booing rather than Maguire himself didn’t you?

I then went on to give a generalised opinion on the topic of booing (there’s a lot of it about) that said “Never been a boo boy myself but I can understand why a hard working bloke on minimum wage would boo a player on £200,000 a week for not being arsed enough to make an effort.”

I included your pointed highlighting so that you can see that you’ve taken what I wrote out of it’s broader context and twisted it by adding your own erroneous slant to make it appear that I’d said that Maguire should be faulted for lack of effort. Which I clearly didn’t did I?

For the sake of clarity, I don’t like Maguire as a character but I don’t blame him for the stupid money Utd paid for him, or for his ridiculous salary, and do think (as I’ve previously said elsewhere) that IMO he would be a very good player in the right system.
Are you happy with that?

By the way I’m quite new in here, hardly posted at all, so it should be little trouble for you to check back on all I’ve written (vet me thoroughly to establish that I’m not an enemy to the Maguire fan club) and then go and fight the good fight with someone who’s actually having a go at him. Makes more sense innit eh?

Glorio

Fair do’s if that’s how you see it but it is, of course, a matter of opinion and I didn’t actually say that Maguire should be faulted for lack of effort so I’m puzzled by you aiming your Harry fan boy angst at me.

What I said about the booing of Maguire by his own clubs supporters was “IMO if supporters boo a player then they’re showing their disapproval for that player being selected and are therefore clearly sending a message of disapproval to the manager who selected said player.”

You did understand that I was saying there was that what was seen as being poor management was the cause of the booing rather than Maguire himself didn’t you?

I then went on to give a generalised opinion on the topic of booing (there’s a lot of it about) that said “Never been a boo boy myself but I can understand why a hard working bloke on minimum wage would boo a player on £200,000 a week for not being arsed enough to make an effort.”

I included your pointed highlighting so that you can see that you’ve taken what I wrote out of it’s broader context and twisted it by adding your own erroneous slant to make it appear that I’d said that Maguire should be faulted for lack of effort. Which I clearly didn’t did I?

For the sake of clarity, I don’t like Maguire as a character but I don’t blame him for the stupid money Utd paid for him, or for his ridiculous salary, and do think (as I’ve previously said elsewhere) that IMO he would be a very good player in the right system.
Are you happy with that?

By the way I’m quite new in here, hardly posted at all, so it should be little trouble for you to check back on all I’ve written (vet me thoroughly to establish that I’m not an enemy to the Maguire fan club) and then go and fight the good fight with someone who’s actually having a go at him. Makes more sense innit eh?
What on earth are you on about? :houllier:

Firstly, not a fan boy of Maguire, he was an expensive mistake made by the club, compounded by giving him the captaincy, so instead of idiotically labelling me a fanboy with no basis whatsoever, behave and debate like a grown up if you must.

Secondly, you made 2 points, and I picked up on the second (without even disagreeing with the wider point), that where certain fans may feel justified in booing a player that isn't bothered to the required effort to justify their paycheck, in this case, Maguire doesn't actually fit that mold. He's a substandard player rather than a lazy one. No angst, just building on your line of thought.

If you read that as picking a fight, I don't know what to tell you.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
What on earth are you on about? :houllier:

Firstly, not a fan boy of Maguire, he was an expensive mistake made by the club, compounded by giving him the captaincy, so instead of idiotically labelling me a fanboy with no basis whatsoever, behave and debate like a grown up if you must.

Secondly, you made 2 points, and I picked up on the second (without even disagreeing with the wider point), that where certain fans may feel justified in booing a player that isn't bothered to the required effort to justify their paycheck, in this case, Maguire doesn't actually fit that mold. He's a substandard player rather than a lazy one. No angst, just building on your line of thought.

If you read that as picking a fight, I don't know what to tell you.
I guess I was presupposing intelligence but, if you honestly didn’t understand what I wrote, and if you accidentally chose to misrepresent my words, then I apologise unreservedly for knocking you off your high horse and hope you get your clown shoes on and get back to the circus unharmed.

Stay safe my friend, just be your funny self and keep us laughing.

PS. I wasn’t looking for a debate. I posted a statement which you then attacked because you either couldn’t understand it or because you were looking for an argument. So tootle along like a good clown and be funny with someone else eh?

OverratedOpinion

I don't like constantly slagging players off but why do Maguire get booed by Utd and England fans? There have been players who have performed worse than Maguire.
Transfer fee and being captain of the biggest club in the country for years. Higher expectation and scrutiny than Joe Gomez for instance.

RedStarUnited

Never boo a player who's trying his best.

If they're visibly not putting in any effort, that's another story.

Maguire didn't asked to be targetted by United, that was Jose. Maguire didn't ask to be bought for £80m, that was Woodward. And Maguire didn't ask to be slow, that was genetic.

You achieve nothing by booing, other than ruining his confidence and making him radioactive on the transfer market - both of which hurt the club.
Let me play devils advocate for a second - Cant this also be attributed to the Glazers? They feel we the fans dont love them so will do everything in their power to screw us over to the bitter end. “Oh they dont love us and want to riot when we go to games? Fck them, we wont update them on anything related to the sell and take our time”