Patrice Evra Interview

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's an interesting interview.

Evra on leaving Utd:

First reason is my family felt they couldn't leave in Manchester anymore. It was the hardest decision in my life, I would have died for this club, if they don't want me (playing) anymore I would have worked as groundsman staff because I love this club so much. For the first time I was not selfish and put my family first.

Another factor is Ed Woodward. He was desperate for me to stay and did everything. But he did one thing (that I can't forgive) and since then we argued for many years until recently. Before end of the season in 2013 he told me "Okay Patrice, you going to stay another year? (sign extension option)", and I said "I wish I can, but I can't because of my family". We shaked hand and he said of course, he understand, thank you for your service and the club won't sign the option (the club or the player can trigger the extension without the other's consent).

During my birthday dinner in Dubai, my agent texted me to go far (private) so he can show me something. He showed me Man Utd statement "We are pleased to confirm that Patrice Evra will renew for another year". Ed gave me his hand and said he won't (trigger extension from the club side), so I was disappointed (that he broke his promise), I got mad, I called Ed, I swear on the phone, I told him I was going to fine him. We cut the call, it was a bad moment, I called him again. After a while, he picked up again, he told me he is the Director of Football, you can't talk like that, if you be polite, then we talk. I try to be polite, but then I started swearing again, so he put the phone down. Then Ryan Giggs called me, he said come on Patrice, you can't just leave the club because of one man. I was so disappointed, and at the end I found excuse to leave Utd, that (event) gave me a little push

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I understand his annoyance and it was shitty but that dicision fetched the club £1.5m.

Thisistheone

Doesn't paint a good picture does it.
Woodward didn't even call him to let him know in advance.

Abhinav

I understand his annoyance and it was shitty but that dicision fetched the club £1.5m.
Its not about the decision nor the money. Its about how you deal with people and the integrity with which you carry out business. Had Ed told Patrice his decision to his face I am sure Patrice would have understood and tried to come to some compromise. He might have been willing to compensate and buy out his contract to secure his family’s happiness, you never know.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Its not about the decision nor the money. Its about how you deal with people and the integrity with which you carry out business. Had Ed told Patrice his decision to his face I am sure Patrice would have understood and tried to come to some compromise. He might have been willing to compensate and buy out his contract to secure his family’s happiness, you never know.
I agree.

Thisistheone

Also the whole hanging up on Evra cos he was swearing and then not answering his calls and Giggs having to step in. Jesus.

red4ever 79

Didnt we trigger Ander Herrera's contract extension by post as well. Think I read he received a letter in the post. Awful professionalism from Ed. Courtesy is to pick up the phone and have a conversation and agreement. People wonder why we cant sign players with this clown in charge

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Imagine if Woodward was around back in the day & on the recieving end of some Roy Keane verbals. Or the Fergie hairdryer...
Imagine Ed saying to Keane/SAF "You can't speak to me like that I'm the Director of Football / a really big boy"

Strats

I thought that too... is he a feckin' child or something?
This, and the quote “I’m the director of football, you don’t talk to me like that” leaves you in bad taste.

Woodward strikes me as an highly insecure man who now has become incredibly arrogant and greedy for power. He is the perfect puppet for the Glazers.

His reluctance to appoint a proper director of football(who actually knows a thing or two about football) during a transfer window where we are in tremendous need of signing players of in key positions(CB and RW) which we’ve neglected for years makes me feel like he doesn’t want to let go on his power.

Woodward has to go. His influence on the football side of the business could keep us struggling for top 4 for years to come.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Woodward is a fecking moron. The sooner he fecks off the better.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did he say his agent read ManUtd statement on his birthday? If so he is confused with timelines I guess. His contract extension was announced on 23rd May and his birthday is on 15th May.

I guess it's the message from ManUtd to his agent, before announcing it officially.

Should have let him go imo, great servant and Woodward really messed it up.

Big Andy

Bloke
Did he say his agent read ManUtd statement on his birthday? If so he is confused with timelines I guess. His contract extension was announced on 23rd May and his birthday is on 15th May.

I guess it's the message from ManUtd to his agent, before announcing it officially.

Should have let him go imo, great servant and Woodward really messed it up.
Birthday dinner, might not have been on his actual birthday...

Tarrou

there have been a lot of stories like this about how we've handled things terribly (for example Herrera's contract renewal) and its impossible to know if its true or not, but hearing it directly from Evra its hard to deny it - Ed is a right cnut

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah, it's very strange to do it behind someone's back and not discuss it with them properly. Reeks of arrogance and not giving a shit about people. Doesn't set a good tone throughout a company when those at the top piss everyone off.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone who thinks Woodward wasn't the blame for the fax machine has been living in dream land, all along it's been obvious and this revelation just shows the depths the man will go to

SirAF

Ageist
Anyone who thinks Woodward wasn't the blame for the fax machine has been living in dream land, all along it's been obvious and this revelation just shows the depths the man will go to
To be fair, that was a great move if true :drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
To be fair, that was a great move if true :drool:
I never said it wasn't, Ed obviously had designs on United being bigger than the likes of Madrid, shithousery and all