Paul Gascoigne | Still living

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
How good was he? Only ever seen highlights as I'm too young to have seen him live in his prime.

Who is he comparable to in today's game?

Watched the Gascoigne documentary the other day. A sad but enjoyable watch. Didn't realise he was as talented and as highly regarded as he is.

Loon

:lol:
Woah. Don't know about anyone else, but my heart jumped when I saw this first.

He was an awesome talent.

RedTiger

Half mast
How good was he? Only ever seen highlights as I'm too young to have seen him live in his prime.

Watched the Gascoigne documentary the other day. A sad but enjoyable watch. Didn't realise he was as talented and as highly regarded as he is.
He was an extremely hard working midfielder who unfortunately due to a rash tackle on Gary Charles fecked his career up, in fact he probably became half the player he was.

He reminds me if a cross between laudrup and Robson (if that's possible), in regards to today's players, I'd say he was a stronger Modric with flashes of Herrera.

Anyone agree with that comparison?

RooneyLegend

He was an extremely hard working midfielder who unfortunately due to a rash tackle on Gary Charles fecked his career up, in fact he probably became half the player he was.

He reminds me if a cross between laudrup and Robson (if that's possible), in regards to today's players, I'd say he was a stronger Modric with flashes of Herrera.

Nope, he was just Paul Gascoigne. One of those unique players who seem to play with special powers. The reason the comparison is wrong is that he did things that those two have never been capable of.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Was brilliant until he went to Rangers, then he became an unbearable cnut. Biggest mistake obviously was turning down Fergie for the spuds

RedTiger

Half mast
Nope, he was just Paul Gascoigne. One of those unique players who seem to play with special powers. The reason the comparison is wrong is that he did things that those two have never been capable of.
Obviously he's a unique talent but the OP was asking for a comparison. Going by the OPs question, who do you think he was comparable to?

rpitchfo

He was a footballer...not an athlete trained to kick a football like 90% of todays footballers. Just came naturally to him.

Honest John

Can't say I agree. You describe him like he was some work-a-day midfielder. He was a tour de force in his prime. A major headliner capable of breathtaking brilliance. His passion for the game especially when playing for England was unparalelled. If today's England squad have half of his fire going into Euro 2016, I would be very optimistic. Shame things ended as they did for him.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He was better then cleverley but not as good as Maradona

RooneyLegend

Obviously he's a unique talent but the OP was asking for a comparison. Going by the OPs question, who do you think he was comparable to?
Its a hard question, there were so many strings to his bow. A quicker, stronger, better shooting, and better dribbling version of Iniesta. Basically Iniesta that can drive with the ball through midfield almost at will eliminating 1,2,3 without much of a fuss.

RedTiger

Half mast
Can't say I agree. You describe him like he was some work-a-day midfielder. He was a tour de force in his prime. A major headliner capable of breathtaking brilliance. His passion for the game especially when playing for England was unparalelled. If today's England squad have half of his fire going into Euro 2016, I would be very optimistic. Shame things ended as the did for him.
Maybe I used the wrong words because he obviously wasn't some milner-esque midfieldfield workhorse:lol: what I was trying to say with the hardworking quote is that he was all over the pitch just like a box2box midfielder, but with the intelligence and technical abilities of the best playmakers.

devil in me

Its a hard question, there were so many strings to his bow. A quicker, stronger, better shooting, and better dribbling version of Iniesta. Basically Iniesta that can drive with the ball through midfield almost at will eliminating 1,2,3 without much of a fuss.
I was struggling to think of a comparable player in recent times. Zidane maybe? It's very difficult to compare him to anyone.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
the scenes between him and möller, in the euro 1996, the penalty shootout in the semi-final, just epic!

the last real english kicker.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gascoigne married the midfield-running of the classic 8 with the dribbling and invention of a no 10. If we go back to Italia '90, it was only Matthaus who was ahead of him and even he struggled to keep up with him at times in the semi-final. I don't think there is a player who can be easily compared to him since as few central or attacking midfielders have had that tantalising mix of qualities. Zidane is perhaps the closest and obviously he delivered on his talent whereas for all of his brilliance in his early 20s, Gascoigne's knee injury at 24 diluted the rest of his career. He was still capable of the flashes of characteristic genius albeit less frequently than had been the case before 1991.

Green_Red

Should never have gone to Lazio.

Briiliant player in his prime though.

In the early 90s there werent many starting 11s in club / international level he wouldnt have had a shout of getting into.

Red_toad

Laudrup was better than Gascoigne.
In terms of pure talent, Gazza was way way ahead of Laudrup. At his peak he was a top 3 in the world player, in a time when the best player I've ever seen was playing. Had it not been for that injury & some very poor career decisions, he would have been an all time great.

Green_Red

Agree.

The week before the f.a cup, he would have got into every national side in the world. He'd also make it into all the club sides barring a few such as AC Milan.
True but it would have been a very very good player that would keep him out of a starting 11 like a Gullit or Rijkarrd.

goin4glory

In terms of talent and ability, no he wasnt. In terms of his career, consitency and time at the very top, yes he was.
Gascoigne did nothing in his career to show more talent that Laudrup. Outside of the UK people would simply laugh off the idea he's even close. There's simply no debate with regards to career/consistency and time at the very top since Gascoigne has close to zero in all areas. Laudrup is a legitimate all time great.

In terms of pure talent, Gazza was way way ahead of Laudrup. At his peak he was a top 3 in the world player, in a time when the best player I've ever seen was playing. Had it not been for that injury & some very poor career decisions, he would have been an all time great.
Some people seem to rewrite history when it comes to Gascoigne, at no point was he top 3 in the world or even close. That argument is laughable. He was playing at the same time as Maradonna so no argument there. Baggio had moved to Juve for a world record fee and Van Basten was picking up his 3rd Ballon D'or as part of an AC Milan team that on it's own had 3 players better than Gascoigne. Then you've got Romario/Weah/Matthuas etc.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Gascoigne did nothing in his career to show more talent that Laudrup. Outside of the UK people would simply laugh off the idea he's even close. There's simply no debate with regards to career/consistency and time at the very top since Gascoigne has close to zero in all areas. Laudrup is a legitimate all time great.
Im outside the UK. You are talking utter rubbish.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

Some people seem to rewrite history when it comes to Gascoigne, at no point was he top 3 in the world or even close. That argument is laughable. He was playing at the same time as Maradonna so no argument there. Baggio had moved to Juve for a world record fee and Van Basten was picking up his 3rd Ballon D'or as part of an AC Milan team that on it's own had 3 players better than Gascoigne. Then you've got Romario/Weah/Matthuas etc.
That's garbage. He was brilliant.