Paul Pogba | Back in full training

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Look, the fact of the matter is this: is having the productivity (if any) of a demotivated, unhappy Pogba worth it? I say no. I'll be kind and say he's been here for three rather than four years, but in those three years what has he actually produced? A run of 10 games where he's performed at the level expected?

If anything, there's an argument to be had to around whether he's worth it when he's happy and committed to the club, let alone now.

He's been a letdown (and yes, he's also been let down). He should have been the leader of this team. Everything was set for him to do so. He had a manager who backed him to the hilt. He had a young team ready to be taken under his wing. Literally everything was in place for him to show what he could do. And yet, like everything with Pogba at Utd, it petered out into nothing.

Bruno coming in has really shown him up and has well and truly screwed him in terms of his chances of pressurising an exit that isn't on the club's terms. We could quite conceivably get top 4 now without any input from Pogba, and it most definitely won't happen, but we could put him out to pasture for the whole of next season as well. Would be hilarious if it did happen though.
C’mon man. He was our leader in every stat going last year and was in the PFA Team of the Year. He is was instrumental in us finishing second in the league with 80+ points and winning two trophies in Mou’s first season.

Bruno vs Pogba is quickly turning into the finest example yet of how much better black people have to be to get the same recognition and opportunities in life. If Bruno is celebrated for three goals, Pogba is criticised for it being two pens and one goalkeeper error. If Bruno delivers three assists, Pogba is undermined by only one of them being from open play and it ‘only being set pieces’. Bruno’s defensive work and tenacity is applauded; Pogba’s team-leading defensive stats from last season are forgotten for Souness lamenting him not tracking back.

Vanrouge

I want to see Pogba next to Fred in the team right now, with Fernandes in front of them. If we can make that work, it elevates the whole team, because it's the perfect midfield on paper.
This has such potential. And sometimes during a match I can see Bruno dropping back and Pogba surging forward. This trio could terrify most teams.

Alemar

Yes, so forget all the momentum we are building with a group of players that WANT to be here and throw him in the starting line up everytime he is fit.
This is totally true.

Yet, under any circumstances Pogba (if fit) is a better choice than either Lingard, Pereira or Mata. It may be said with an absolute certainty - and three players mentioned played quite a lot of games this season.

So, considering it is a squad game, of course it is good to have a fit Pogba in the team, and surely our results would on average improve with him (if - and it is a big IF) he is used as an attacking player instead of any of the above mentioned three, and not as part of a double pivot.

That said, Pogba is by no means guaranteed a starting XI spot now - he just must be above Lingard, Pereira or Mata in the pecking order

rotherham_red

C’mon man. He was our leader in every stat going last year and was in the PFA Team of the Year. He is was instrumental in us finishing second in the league with 80+ points and winning two trophies in Mou’s first season.

Bruno vs Pogba is quickly turning into the finest example yet of how much better black people have to be to get the same recognition and opportunities in life. If Bruno is celebrated for three goals, Pogba is criticised for it being two pens and one goalkeeper error. If Bruno delivers three assists, Pogba is undermined by only one of them being from open play and it ‘only being set pieces’. Bruno’s defensive work and tenacity is applauded; Pogba’s team-leading defensive stats from last season are forgotten for Souness lamenting him not tracking back.
We finished 6th last season. Sixth. That is no achievement. With the majority of those numbers coming from that exact same run of form. Also, he was MIA in our biggest moment of that season and don't even get me started on his big game record. Could probably count on one hand the amount of games he actually effected when it mattered.

And do feck off with the casual accusations of racism. This is nothing to do with the colour of his skin. He's played us all for mugs and hasn't done anywhere near enough for four years.

Yours,

An Asian Muslim

DoomSlayer

This has such potential. And sometimes during a match I can see Bruno dropping back and Pogba surging forward. This trio could terrify most teams.
It would definitely allow us to consistently dominate the smaller teams, if it clicks.

We finished 6th last season. Sixth. That is no achievement. With the majority of those numbers coming from that exact same run of form. Also, he was MIA in our biggest moment of that season and don't even get me started on his big game record. Could probably count on one hand the amount of games he actually effected when it mattered.

And do feck off with the casual accusations of racism. This is nothing to do with the colour of his skin. He's played us all for mugs and hasn't done anywhere near enough for four years.

Yours,

An Asian Muslim
What does this have to do with anything? Are you saying Asian people cant be rascist?

ghagua

Meh...he can walk in the summer if he wants. There are no doubts that he is the most talented player in our squad, but I will take the fighting spirit of Bruno any day. Use whatever money we have coming for him to use on players willing to give their all.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Yours,

An Asian Muslim
United need to win 7 out of their final 9 games to even match last season’s points total. United are demonstrably worse this season without Pogba than they have been with him in the last three seasons.

Also are Asian Muslim’s impervious to contributing to the unconscious bias that pervades Western societies? Next you’ll be telling me Priti Patel doesn’t have a racist bone in her body. You surely can at least acknowledge that unconscious bias exists.

Coops73

So, let me get this straight.

Liking Bruno for his contribution and disliking Pogba for his contribution or lack of means that there’s a racist element to your thinking?

Strange.

rotherham_red

United need to win 7 out of their final 9 games to even match last season’s points total. United are demonstrably worse this season without Pogba than they have been with him in the last three seasons.

Also are Asian Muslim’s impervious to contributing to the unconscious bias that pervades Western societies? Next you’ll be telling me Priti Patel doesn’t have a racist bone in her body. You surely can at least acknowledge that unconscious bias exists.
fecking hell, get over yourself. Feel free to look over my past posts, up until this season I backed Pogba to the hilt. I have acknowledged that he's been the victim of poor discourse surrounding him for months, but my issue with him has absolutely nothing to do with any of that.

My loyalty is to the club, not Paul Pogba. I've given him the benefit of the doubt numerous times over the years, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade. Bruno was the crystallization of this because while he is most likely not on his level as a talent, his commitment and overall end product thus far has been much, much better and is indicative of it being sustainable rather than Pogba's purple patch last season.

UnitedFan93

I don't want Pogba anywhere near the team. Hopefully we get shut in the summer.

rotherham_red

What does this have to do with anything? Are you saying Asian people cant be rascist?
No. I'm saying accusing me of being a racist because I have had it with Pogba's BS is preposterous. That sign off is to indicate that I have actually been on the wrong end of racism and to call my post of being anywhere near that shit is abhorrent and that the poster should take a long hard look at himself as such accusations are embarrassing and are counterproductive to the efforts to combat racism

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Bruno vs Pogba is quickly turning into the finest example yet of how much better black people have to be to get the same recognition and opportunities in life.
What are you on about? That's some irresponsible, ignorant, lazy shit right there. Have a think before throwing statements like that around.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’ve been saying it all along but it makes even more sense for him to stay now we are on a good run and he’s not the only creative outlet in the squad anymore. If he see players like sancho and Bellingham arriving in the summer, along with how well our new signings and Fred are doing he may think yeah actually I wouldn’t mind a bit of this. The club does have a plan and it’s starting to work. Im sure he’s gonna be excited to play with Bruno. He’s coming back into a better team. Let’s hope we can see the best of pogba for the rest of the season. We will be much better off with him in the team if he’s committed.

Vanrouge

It would definitely allow us to consistently dominate the smaller teams, if it clicks.
And though we're showing signs of being able to do that better now, he'd be like the proverbial new signing. We're hitting form, and with Pogba available, we can only get even better.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah seen that. Hopefully Juve come in with an offer and we can move him on.
How about we do what we've all done with Fred. Or Matic. Or Ole, come to that. Let's just see how he slots in to a functioning set up before writing off our most prized asset. It was a different world the last time we saw him. I have the same reservations lots of you have. I'm still excited to see what he can add to our current incarnation.

Sweet Square

I don't want Pogba anywhere near the team. Hopefully we get shut in the summer.
Isn't he quite the leader behind the scenes ? Fred in a recent interview talked highly of him.

I'm guessing like most well paid footballer he's a bit of an arse but the idea him being a wrecker isn't really true.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pogba about to sign a new contract? :drool: the tears will be glorious

Vanrouge

I’ve been saying it all along but it makes even more sense for him to stay now we are on a good run and he’s not the only creative outlet in the squad anymore. If he see players like sancho and Bellingham arriving in the summer, along with how well our new signings and Fred are doing he may think yeah actually I wouldn’t mind a bit of this. The club does have a plan and it’s starting to work. Im sure he’s gonna be excited to play with Bruno. He’s coming back into a better team. Let’s hope we can see the best of pogba for the rest of the season. We will be much better off with him in the team if he’s committed.
Agreed. I wish our own fans would stop believing media-generated BS about Pogba. The word agenda applies to much of the garbage we've read in the twitterverse and even on mainstream sports broadcasts (*cough* Souness *cough*).

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Exactly - think from his standpoint - he joined a project with Zlatan, Jose,Lukaku and Mikhi. The project was a complete failure and everyone except him has left the club now. The whole blame is on him for " us" not performing. While the reality is, we just weren't making smart decisions and finally we have started doing it.

Remember, he could have had Juve or Real yet he chose us with EL. I'm firmly with him. He is our best player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Agreed. I wish our own fans would stop believing media-generated BS about Pogba. The word agenda applies to much of the garbage we've read in the twitterverse and even on mainstream sports broadcasts (*cough* Souness *cough*).
I’m not him or his agents biggest fan but he’s got the number to back it up. If we’d this team with pogbas numbers from last year we’d be second . He’s an effective player and he might just get his head down if he sees the club is going in the right direction. We are a better squad for having a committed pogba in it than out. He’s a much better player than Grealish for example. I know Grealish is captain and is performing well but Juve Real PSG etc aren’t going to be in for him are they?

HowYouDoin

I think I am over Pogba. It hasnt really worked out and its best for both parties to move on.
Bruno shows you what Pogba isnt and what we needed him to be. We needed him to be our leader and to be the piece that makes everything click yet Pogba just isnt that player while Bruno is. Pogba is a luxury piece when you already have good foundation in place. Bruno on the other hand is the foundation.

I dont think Pogba really fits anymore. Bruno and Fred shouldnt be benched for him and we need a bit more steel than Pogba to play alongside Bruno and Fred hence move on. It is what it is. He isnt the luxury piece we need at this point IMO and if you play Fred, Bruno and Pogba, thats just way too light defensively.

cyberman

If he signs a new contract then the noise stops so it solves all problems.

UnitedFan93

I think I am over Pogba. It hasnt really worked out and its best for both parties to move on.
Bruno shows you what Pogba isnt and what we needed him to be. We needed him to be our leader and to be the piece that makes everything click yet Pogba just isnt that player while Bruno is. Pogba is a luxury piece when you already have good foundation in place. Bruno on the other hand is the foundation.

I dont think Pogba really fits anymore. Bruno and Fred shouldnt be benched for him and we need a bit more steel than Pogba to play alongside Bruno and Fred hence move on. It is what it is. He isnt the luxury piece we need at this point IMO and if you play Fred, Bruno and Pogba, thats just way too light defensively.
Agree mate.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'd actually look to involve Gomes before Pogba if we're going to play that type of midfielder next to Bruno. We need Gomes to sign a contract so we need to give him game time instead of Lingard, Pereira and Pogba and with a player like Bruno in there I think they would get a long very well on the pitch. Similar to the connection between Mata and Bruno.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What are you on about? That's some irresponsible, ignorant, lazy shit right there. Have a think before throwing statements like that around.
Sure, racism and unconscious bias is widespread, but it is never your own fault or those who share your opinions. It’s only other people who might be suspect to these things.

Racism isn’t just about frothing at the mouth or calling someone the n-word, but is about having a slight prejudice against someone for how they look or what they represent without being conscious of that.

I wish I could be as certain as many of you guys of being completely immune to any such bias in any of my thinking or judging of others.

laughtersassassin

Totally agree mate regarding the fans.

Still doesn't change my view that we should move him on.
Fair enough, I'm of the opposite opinion for the most part. The only part of me that wants him to go is cause of all the moaning between fans.

But that football EY. Wouldn't be much without the discussion and differing opinions at the end of the day.

Icemav

There is bias constantly, mostly in British football its British players being hyped to the rafters or ignored when they are underperforming. With regards to race I don't think it was ever a factor when considering Thierry Henry as one of the PL's greatest every players. Or Drogba as the most feared striker in the league. Or Desailly the best defender. Or on a larger scale Pele who is regarded as the GOAT.

Pogba is young, black, French, cool, and in to lots of stupid posey ista-famey shit that older people don't get. But what the older players who were good at football do get is that he is extremely extremely talented but cares more about his great moments than being a leader on the pitch. I don't think its malicious, he is just built that way. He is a stupendous getter of assists and that might be all that matters???? but when football men see him also needlessly surrender possession multiple times in a half (in his own half I might add) with crazy dribbling attempts they understand the damage that does. A team needs leaders especially ours at the moment and he is not one.

Pack enough leaders around him who will define his role and responsibilities then we might have a winning formula. Then again he might be off this Summer.

Last edited: