g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Paul Pogba - Juventus player

Slevs

likes to play with penises
"How can you tell a player you absolutely want him and offer him nothing?" - After reportedly being offered ~ 290k pounds a week or thereabouts.

Damn, humble pie tastes good eh?
Whoever approved and offered that contract to him should be sacked.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Free transfer. 100k per week and help canteen ladies washing dishes and we have a deal.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Needs to stay the feck away from our club. Such a waste of talent, and such a negative influence on the dressing room.

Besides, now that Souness has retired, whats the point.

I feel he'll end up in Saudi. Makes too much sense.

gajender

Needs to stay the feck away from our club. Such a waste of talent, and such a negative influence on the dressing room.

Is this really been the case like ever or just another made up scenario by people who just don't Like Pogba .

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i hear all the negative comments, i remember all the below par performances and the feeling of being fleeced for him but i think every single one of you are forgetting the scientific “third time lucky/third time’s the charm” element of a return and we would be foolish to fly in the face of modern, scientific thinking.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Aside from his inconsistency, regular injuries and uncontrollable agent speaking at the wrong time, his dance buddies have all left. Our squad is a mature one now

Judas

Open to offers
You can say this about tons of players, but Pogba was hyped as some generational talent.
I dont think he is under appreciated at all. You are falling into the "he has so much talent so we should appreciate him" logic.

If the talent was barely ever shown on a consistent basis, it's meaningless.
I'm not falling into anything, I enjoyed watching him thoroughly when he was on it, which was never nearly enough.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm not falling into anything, I enjoyed watching him thoroughly when he was on it, which was never nearly enough.
Right but I'm unsure how you think he was underappreciated.

There are dozens and dozens of players who look like world beaters when they're on it. The infactuation with Pogba was just another level though.

Big Andy

Bloke

I don't think he was a negative influence at all, people just don't like the constant dancing about like a wanker, the haircuts, the tiktoks, etc, all of which took his focus away from his performances, and gave fans a stick to beat him with.

He just doesn't have the required focus to concentrate 100% on football, and it shows.

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
Joke of a player. I think he must have had a broken heart after releasing his stupid documentary and thinking the world will lap it up.

The only reason the world lapped up his earlier antics is because he played for United. The moment he moved, he must have realized that he is just a money grabber who failed at doing anything substantial in club football.
Didn’t Pogba win four league titles with Juventus in a row? You can’t say he’s done nothing in club football. Pogba’s a great player in an already great team, but he is never the type of player to drag a team above its level.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Aside from his inconsistency, regular injuries and uncontrollable agent speaking at the wrong time, his dance buddies have all left. Our squad is a mature one now
Well I doubt his uncontrollable agent will be speaking anymore...

Judas

Open to offers
Right but I'm unsure how you think he was underappreciated.

There are dozens and dozens of players who look like world beaters when they're on it. The infactuation with Pogba was just another level though.
I mean you've not been his biggest fan for years, so I get your stance. But you'd think he was always dog shit, not only for us but just in general, which just isn't really the case. I don't even want to come off as a massive defender, but this place really does swing into the extremes on either end. You can't be in between, you have to be for or against something on here and it's silly really.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I mean you've not been his biggest fan for years, so I get your stance. But you'd think he was always dog shit, not only for us but just in general, which just isn't really the case. I don't even want to come off as a massive defender, but this place really does swing into the extremes on either end. You can't be in between, you have to be for or against something on here and it's silly really.
He barely managed 3 months of full consistency in his entire time at United (Ole's caretaker stint November to Jan). I think that says everything.

It was much easier to mask at Juventus, he was there at a time where Serie A was the least competitive maybe ever? Juve walked the league by almost 20 pts while he was there. I recall serie a followers also claiming he wasn't fully consistent in the course of a season there and had some tenancies to go missing in big games then too (for example the CL final).

His national form was also over stated. He was booed by his own fans going into the WC in which they went on to win (they are French to be fair so pinch of salt).

He had a solid 5 games in the World Cup and everyone had a huge praising fest for him, extrapolating that to his competence in club form. It was a huge fallacy because he's always capable of purple patches but was never really consistent in the top leagues.

For me it was all confirmed when his staunchest defenders ran out of excuses. First blamed Mourinho for shackling, then blamed Ole for not knowing how to use him, then blamed the players for not enabling him.

Then Bruno rocks in and shows how a true world class talent elevates a squad. After that he ran out of cards. The injured trips to dubai and miami also did it in for me. He'd post videos shooting hoops when he was meant to be injured if I recall correctly. All this is plausible if he carried consistent good form but he never did.

Judas

Open to offers
Mate write an essay all you want, won't make me change my mind that I enjoyed watching that particular footballer kick the ball around well when he was on it :lol: fair enough we're all entitled to our opinions.

I'm not going that deeply into it. Very simply, I found him thoroughly entertaining to watch, when he could be bothered.

Hammondo

Pogs has always been an enigma. He clearly has bags of talent but for whatever reason.. laziness, thinking too much of himself.. he always appears in that "What if.." category.

He is neither someone that busts a gut for 90 minutes or someone that changes every game, so he appears in that middle ground and that place is always expendable.

His off-field lifestyle hasn't always helped the perception we have of him either, but SAF got it spot on by letting him go, he isn't the type of player we want.

Good luck to him but we are onwards and upwards.
At some point you just gotta say hes not that bright, and its reflected in his football, very skilled, lots of talent, half the time terrible at using it, looked clueless.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You can say this about tons of players, but Pogba was hyped as some generational talent.
I dont think he is under appreciated at all. You are falling into the "he has so much talent so we should appreciate him" logic.

If the talent was barely ever shown on a consistent basis, it's meaningless.
I do think people are unfairly harsh on his first four years here. He got so much abuse for inconsistency and poor performances, when in reality he was probably the most consistent player we had over those four years. Still inconsistent as all hell of course, but him being 50/50 good/bad is better than basically everyone else who were about 30/70. Him getting so much more criticism than his teammates despite actually outperforming them never sat well with me. Others had individual seasons where they were better than him, but when looking at the entire time Pogba was better.

The most obvious case was Mourinho's last season. In the first month we only had two players who played well - Pogba and Shaw. Then we had a month where every player in the team was terrible. Then in the third month we once again had two good players - Pogba and Martial. Then once again the entire team was terrible for a while before Mourinho got sacked. So basically Pogba was good 50% of the time, Shaw and Martial 25% of the time, and every other player in the team had been terrible the entire time. Yet Pogba was made the face of 'getting Mourinho fired' and the media and fan hyperbole about it really was disgraceful. In reality Lukaku and Matic were by far the worst players during that period, the former probably the worst in the entire league and Matic not that much better yet they (especially Matic who somehow came out of it smelling of roses) never got even close to the level of abuse.

Pogba deserved plenty of criticism during those four years (50/50 obviously isn't good enough), but there's not a doubt in my mind it did go overboard.

Obviously it all fell apart in his last two seasons here as injuries destroyed him and even when he was fit he tended to be poor more often than not.

Strelok

Pogs has always been an enigma. He clearly has bags of talent but for whatever reason.. laziness, thinking too much of himself.. he always appears in that "What if.." category.
Imo the main reason is he's simply a showboating attacker disguised as a midfielder. Guy lacks basically all the discipline, work ethic and consistency to be a top midfielder. Then he relies too much on his physical to beat the press which might works well in a less physical and slower league like the Serie A but obviously not very well in the PL. He might give you the occasional brilliance but not the consistency, which is probably the most important thing for a midfielder imo.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I do think people are unfairly harsh on his first four years here. He got so much abuse for inconsistency and poor performances, when in reality he was probably the most consistent player we had over those four years. Still inconsistent as all hell of course, but him being 50/50 good/bad is better than basically everyone else who were about 30/70. Him getting so much more criticism than his teammates despite actually outperforming them never sat well with me. Others had individual seasons where they were better than him, but when looking at the entire time Pogba was better.

The most obvious case was Mourinho's last season. In the first month we only had two players who played well - Pogba and Shaw. Then we had a month where every player in the team was terrible. Then in the third month we once again had two good players - Pogba and Martial. Then once again the entire team was terrible for a while before Mourinho got sacked. So basically Pogba was good 50% of the time, Shaw and Martial 25% of the time, and every other player in the team had been terrible the entire time. Yet Pogba was made the face of 'getting Mourinho fired' and the media and fan hyperbole about it really was disgraceful. In reality Lukaku and Matic were by far the worst players during that period, the former probably the worst in the entire league and Matic not that much better yet they (especially Matic who somehow came out of it smelling of roses) never got even close to the level of abuse.

Pogba deserved plenty of criticism during those four years (50/50 obviously isn't good enough), but there's not a doubt in my mind it did go overboard.

Obviously it all fell apart in his last two seasons here as injuries destroyed him and even when he was fit he tended to be poor more often than not.
Thing is, the defenders of Pogba hailed him as a generational talent who is incredible to watch when on song. But the same folk don't want to hold him to generational standards.
He also didn't help himself, and was criticised heavily when then his spokesperson in Raiola caused uncertainty and when he over indulged in social media branding when his form was shite. He failed to read the room chronically, and he still is at Juventus it seems. He also doesn't take any accountability for his own lack or consistency. When leaving he appeared to blame United fans for not giving him enough love.

gorgonzola_viola

Supports
Football
If everyone in real life was as good, virtuous, charitable, caring, etc as they are on the internet then the world wouldn't be such a shitty place. But the reality is people like yourself try to pretend to be perfect people when typing online, but probably are assholes like the rest of us, who aren't afraid to admit it online.
:lol::lol:

Sorry, I know this post is old but I wasn't registered when it was made and only just saw this.

Have you actually spent any time on the internet? 99% of it is an atrocity.

People are more likely to be assholes because of the anonymity and hiding behind a computer screen. If people were more like their internet persona's in real life it would be like the purge.

God knows where you got the idea that the internet is full of lovey dovey faux niceness. Just read a Facebook/YouTube/twitter/Instagram comment section.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Should serve as an example to all the kids how you can waste your great talent.

His impact on (any) team was always very overrated. He is the ultimate "highlights" player. Ole also did a mistake to force him into a position he was never suited to play.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thing is, the defenders of Pogba hailed him as a generational talent who is incredible to watch when on song. But the same folk don't want to hold him to generational standards.
He also didn't help himself, and was criticised heavily when then his spokesperson in Raiola caused uncertainty and when he over indulged in social media branding when his form was shite. He failed to read the room chronically, and he still is at Juventus it seems. He also doesn't take any accountability for his own lack or consistency. When leaving he appeared to blame United fans for not giving him enough love.
Some of that is certainly true. He definitely needed to keep Raiola on a shorter lease, and some of his social media work was poorly timed. Although once again other players have certainly done the latter without the save level of blowback about it.

I presume the bolded happened in his stupid documentary (I never watched it). But I'll be honest, if I were in his position I wouldn't be too happy about how the media and the fans targeted him so much in those four years when he really didn't deserve it. It annoyed me just as a fan watching it happen, being the one it was targeted at would have definitely left me pissed. There's a difference between criticism (which he certainly deserved) and over-the-top criticism (often to the extent of it being abuse) that he did get.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Some of that is certainly true. He definitely needed to keep Raiola on a shorter lease, and some of his social media work was poorly timed. Although once again other players have certainly done the latter without the save level of blowback about it.

I presume the bolded happened in his stupid documentary (I never watched it). But I'll be honest, if I were in his position I wouldn't be too happy about how the media and the fans targeted him so much in those four years when he really didn't deserve it. It annoyed me just as a fan watching it happen, being the one it was targeted at would have definitely left me pissed. There's a difference between criticism (which he certainly deserved) and over-the-top criticism (often to the extent of it being abuse) that he did get.
Difference of opinion. If you dick around allowing your spokesperson to unsettle the squad before key CL games, and you yourself undermine the manager in your own interviews, and you dick about on social media when you're clearly in poor form, all while being a top earner at the club, then you get the brunt of it. It's that simple.

Heinzesight

All the talent in the world but none of the application. We can count on one hand the amount of decent games he had for us. Even then they weren’t for a whole 90 minutes. He’d invariably do something good then negate it by giving it away doing his signature move…you know the one…sticking his arse out in the hope it would fend off two people pressing him in our own half, then losing the ball whilst the opposition break to our goal as he smacks the floor with both hands.

Heart of a mouse too. Rather give away a penalty than get hit in the face and I still think he got himself sent off v’s the Scousers as he simply didn’t fancy it.

I’ve heard he didn’t listen to medical staff and physios either when he was injured or carrying little muscular problems, sheer arrogance thinking he knew better and look at him now, perma-crock.

One of the worst signings we’ve made and I was buzzing when he came back.

clarkydaz

I think he will have a proper remontada next season. Judging by his IG he has been putting in a lot of work in the gym in Miami.

Still early but he doesnt look like someone that has given up, no chance he goes Saudi. And if he wants to play in the Euros its in his benefit to return to a good level for Juve.
this made me genuinely laugh out loud. Guy in an absolute nutshell

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
All the talent in the world but none of the application. We can count on one hand the amount of decent games he had for us. Even then they weren’t for a whole 90 minutes. He’d invariably do something good then negate it by giving it away doing his signature move…you know the one…sticking his arse out in the hope it would fend off two people pressing him in our own half, then losing the ball whilst the opposition break to our goal as he smacks the floor with both hands.

Heart of a mouse too. Rather give away a penalty than get hit in the face and I still think he got himself sent off v’s the Scousers as he simply didn’t fancy it.

I’ve heard he didn’t listen to medical staff and physios either when he was injured or carrying little muscular problems, sheer arrogance thinking he knew better and look at him now, perma-crock.

One of the worst signings we’ve made and I was buzzing when he came back.
See, for me, this is the kind of over-exaggeration that made it hard to discuss Pogba on this forum over the years. He had many brilliant performances in his time here, far more than a handful. Yes, he did show inconsistencies over the years too, but so did the team around him and frankly I think it was a two-way street, neither Utd nor Pogba made enough of his talent during that spell. I don't want to defend him too much as those final seasons, with injuries, his moaning and that stupid documentary, did sour the taste, but he's always faced over-the-top criticism compared to others.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Has all the talent and ability to match the likes of KDB, yet somehow end up worst than McFred with his poor attitude on pitch/bad influence in dressing room/obsession in social media.