Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

SER19

But what if they do feature in our plans? How do you know they don’t?
Whats the point in keeping players in your plans when they won't sign a contract? That's my point. You can argue it both ways but my sense would be to get money for replaceable players while you can rather than keeping them in a squad you're trying to develop

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It feels sensible to keep him, but if he does go, at least it's the end of the constant battle of where to fit him in and the haircut and social media stuff.

I can't see anyone paying him more than us though.

Bondi77

He should go there, the pace of the league suits him and allows him to shine.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is smarter than a club that's for sure, that's the second time he is doing this to a club and they are falling for it. Incredibly smart guy with smart agent, doing well for himself and for his client.

Another top quality performance Vs top quality opposition. This player does it at the high end in international competition… yet we’re stuck complaining about our midfield.

No doubt if he leaves, we will see him tearing it up in CM in CL QF, SF, and Finals and being an integral CM in a league winning team.

The Firestarter

It feels sensible to keep him, but if he does go, at least it's the end of the constant battle of where to fit him in and the haircut and social media stuff.

I can't see anyone paying him more than us though.
Can't believe people still mention the haircuts as an actual issue.

AFC NimbleThumb

Forgetting off field circus, forgettign how dire our midfield is, forget his abilities, forget the supposedlack of quality around him....

Please can somebody justify how Paul Pogba, individually the player so far at United in 4/5years in central midfield here or as a left winger with all the options we have, approaching 29, justifies a whopping new contract of £400k+ a week, to be here for another 4/5years?

Its not even what side of the fence you sit on with Pogba. I just cant see how even fans can see this as a good footballing or financial decision, I would love to hear an valid point regardign this?
This type of reductive line of questioning could be directed at most of the squad though. What has our £80mil club captain done to justify his wage let alone his transfer fee? Same with our £50mil right back who’s not playing for free either. This is the club that’s paying Mata & Jones, didn’t we extend Eric Bailly then buy a CB. We’ve got a £40mil dutchman who can’t get off the bench for games so there’s another allocation of wages wasted. We’re paying Andreas Periera to play in Brazil. The problem isn’t about the better players, it’s the way we manage renewals & the players on the fringes.

The argument is, the club shouldn’t have let his contract run down in the first place but now they have, there are 2 choices. Pay him what he wants, which will be inflated due to the contractual situation or let him go & spend £10s of millions on a replacement who I doubt will be playing for free. You’d think the VdB experiment would have taught people you don’t just plug & play.

To cast his entire United return as a failure is disingenuous, he’s overall been a let down but in the last 4/5 seasons you mention he’s done more than most players have. I think he should leave but there are far bigger issues.

Pronewbie

Peep
There's a bit of sunk cost fallacy when it comes to Paul. It hasn't worked out for both parties and if better options become available we should part ways. He's certainly not a 400k/w player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gives me hope he will go back and won't accept our improved contract offer of 400k or whatever silly money we will offer him.
Most likely a negotiating tactic. Juve just let Ronaldo go due to the financial aspect. They're just being used as a ruse.

I've always liked Pogba but I'm not convinced spending huge wages on him is in our best interest. Depends on the managers plans. As a LW given we have Rashford and our main CFs lack mobility pogba isn't worth emptying your pockets for.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This type of reductive line of questioning could be directed at most of the squad though. What has our £80mil club captain done to justify his wage let alone his transfer fee? Same with our £50mil right back who’s not playing for free either. This is the club that’s paying Mata & Jones, didn’t we extend Eric Bailly then buy a CB. We’ve got a £40mil dutchman who can’t get off the bench for games so there’s another allocation of wages wasted. We’re paying Andreas Periera to play in Brazil. The problem isn’t about the better players, it’s the way we manage renewals & the players on the fringes.

The argument is, the club shouldn’t have let his contract run down in the first place but now they have, there are 2 choices. Pay him what he wants, which will be inflated due to the contractual situation or let him go & spend £10s of millions on a replacement who I doubt will be playing for free. You’d think the VdB experiment would have taught people you don’t just plug & play.

To cast his entire United return as a failure is disingenuous, he’s overall been a let down but in the last 4/5 seasons you mention he’s done more than most players have. I think he should leave but there are far bigger issues.
He's a failure for his price and wages he's on. We're not even taking into consideration the media circus he brings around with his cnut of an agent and brother disrespecting the club almost everytime there's an international break.

TsuWave

We're not even taking into consideration the media circus he brings around with his cnut of an agent and brother disrespecting the club almost everytime there's an international break.
there's no media circus. you guys just get worked up over nothing and try to use it as justification for the vitriol directed at the player.

RedDevil@84

Most likely a negotiating tactic. Juve just let Ronaldo go due to the financial aspect. They're just being used as a ruse.

I've always liked Pogba but I'm not convinced spending huge wages on him is in our best interest. Depends on the managers plans. As a LW given we have Rashford and our main CFs lack mobility pogba isn't worth emptying your pockets for.
I am convinced spending huge wages and giving him a 3+1 or 4+1 contract will be the dumbest thing to do and I am pretty sure we will do it. It seems inevitable. I never undertood all this logic of we are one midfielder away from getting the awesomeness of Pogba. After these many years, I don't think there is any awesomeness to be unlocked. We have seen everything that is there to see.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d like to see pogba stay just because he’s not really played Under an attack minded manager yet for us. I think that’s when we will really see the real pogba.. if we had guardiola managing us he would no doubt get 10+ goals and assist a season. He’d be playing in a midfield 3 with licence to roam forward.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’d like to see pogba stay just because he’s not really played Under an attack minded manager yet for us. I think that’s when we will really see the real pogba.. if we had guardiola managing us he would no doubt get 10+ goals and assist a season. He’d be playing in a midfield 3 with licence to roam forward.
I'm not sure we'll ever see it for us. France play with wingbacks or three in the middle (or in the past Matuidi tucking in to make it 3). We don't have wingbacks and with Bruno a three in the middle is not happening. It just seems like a lot of money of a player who wouldn't say is a nailed on for a specific position. He's great but doesn't seem to suit us. Feels like we'll renew just because he's a big name player we don't want to lose.

Ladron de redcafe

There's a bit of sunk cost fallacy when it comes to Paul. It hasn't worked out for both parties and if better options become available we should part ways. He's certainly not a 400k/w player.
Could you provide a source that shows that he's being paid 400k a week?

AFC NimbleThumb

He's a failure for his price and wages he's on. We're not even taking into consideration the media circus he brings around with his cnut of an agent and brother disrespecting the club almost everytime there's an international break.
Where did I say he wasn’t? Funny you’ve ignored the actual content of the post to again throw profanity at his agent. I just did a quick check of your post history on Haaland, you do know who his ‘cnut’ agent is right? Oh yea, it’s not really about Raiola at all is it. Funny how many Caf members want rid of the ‘Pogba circus’ but would bend over for other Raiola clients.

Back to the bolded part though, surely you should have the same energy for other squad members. Oh no you won’t do because it’s not actually anything to do with what Pogba actually does, you’d happily deal with his agent for Haaland & our £80mil club captain has never won a medal of note but you’re not calling him a ‘failure’.

Joeace2020

I'd throw a party and run in the street naked the day he is sold. Sir Alex was right and Mourinho thought to prove him wrong but just like all the players Mourinho purchased while here, this one does not have the club's philosophy at heart and will be good riddance when the day comes. Mourinho was a total scourge to this club. Look at the names:

Baily - Never available and a defender that leaves you gasping for air every time
Sanchez - Piano playing mercenary on millions weekly. One of the worst number 7's at this club
Victor Lindelof - Can't win a header or duel to save his life
Fred - Need i say more. The earlier we get rid the better.
Lukaku - I've seen chickens play better
Matic- Well passed his prime
Mkhitaryan- Apart from the scorpion kick and the Europa league final, did nothing of note.
Ibrahimović - Great player but see Matic
and then Pogba - Undisciplined, arrogant and will never grow up.

This is the legacy of Mourinho and until we get rid of every Sh#$ that sad man stained this club with, we'll struggle to make progress. Is it even suprising that Pogba and Fred are our two biggest midfield problems?

Last edited:

Posh Red

I'd throw a party and run in the street naked the day he is sold. Sir Alex was right and Mourinho thought to prove him wrong but just like all the players Mourinho purchased while here, this one does not have the club's philosophy at heart and will be good riddance when the day comes.
Right about what?

Ludens the Red

Think he’ll go and whilst money plays a part I do think a huge part of him leaving us is because we won’t and can’t compete for major trophies and he does clearly want that. Regardless of how exceptional he can be on the odd occasion I think this relationship really needs to end once and for all.

RUCK4444

Think he’ll go and whilst money plays a part I do think a huge part of him leaving us is because we won’t and can’t compete for major trophies and he does clearly want that. Regardless of how exceptional he can be on the odd occasion I think this relationship really needs to end once and for all.
Yes because what is best for United is McFred and a semi retired Matic…
The problem is Pogba is getting in the way of us fielding those midfield maestro’s is it?

Sorry but it’s a mental opinion to have imo. You see him do what he did last night regularly because he’s partnered with top level players in midfield and they play to accommodate him.

The best national team on planet Earth do whats required to get the best out of Pogba because they consider him one of their most valued assets, but that approach is beneath United, why?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Where did I say he wasn’t? Funny you’ve ignored the actual content of the post to again throw profanity at his agent. I just did a quick check of your post history on Haaland, you do know who his ‘cnut’ agent is right? Oh yea, it’s not really about Raiola at all is it. Funny how many Caf members want rid of the ‘Pogba circus’ but would bend over for other Raiola clients.

Back to the bolded part though, surely you should have the same energy for other squad members. Oh no you won’t do because it’s not actually anything to do with what Pogba actually does, you’d happily deal with his agent for Haaland & our £80mil club captain has never won a medal of note but you’re not calling him a ‘failure’.
And my post about Haaland was we should sign him only if Raiola isn't in the picture. But sure I'm obsessed with Haaland that I posted 4 times in a 180 page thread.

Come back again when Maguire's agents talks about how much Maguire deserves to play for a bigger club. :houllier:

Yes because what is best for United is McFred and a semi retired Matic…
The problem is Pogba is getting in the way of us fielding those midfield maestro’s is it?

Sorry but it’s a mental opinion to have imo. You see him do what he did last night regularly because he’s partnered with top level players in midfield and they play to accommodate him.

The best national team on planet Earth do whats required to get the best out of Pogba because they consider him one of their most valued assets, but that approach is beneath United, why?
It's a simple answer. There is only room to build a team around one player, and for us Bruno is that player. We can't have both of them running around doing whatever they want to do and neither possess the discipline to be anything other than that.

Any decent club would run rings around the best national teams too. The PL is played at a much faster pace for starters. Him playing so well for France doesn't automatically mean he should be playing well here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think he will leave as a free agent, I hope we make peace with that and start identifying his replacement instead of hoping he will sign contract.

KeanoMagicHat

I've made my peace with the fact no matter what position he plays or what set-up, Pogba is always going to be better for France than he is for United. There's no evidence of him ever playing like that in a midfield two for United and you can't even use the Kanté excuse this time. Controlled it and top-class again.

Jaxa

As much as I hate to admit it the smart move for him in his career right now is to move away from us,

He will have the pick of some of the top clubs in club football and will receive a massive salary as the club won't have to pay a transfer fee, sadly we are not close to winning trophies yet and if i was him personally i'd go to Madrid if it becomes an option, he will shine in La Liga and it will really suit his style of play, plus the clout Madrid brings it will only further his brand as much as it makes me nauseated saying that the truth is its part of a players thinking these days.

Also in a weird way i think it might actually be good for us also Pogba moving on, i really do

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's a simple answer. There is only room to build a team around one player, and for us Bruno is that player. We can't have both of them running around doing whatever they want to do and neither possess the discipline to be anything other than that.

Any decent club would run rings around the best national teams too. The PL is played at a much faster pace for starters. Him playing so well for France doesn't automatically mean he should be playing well here.
You don't have to build around a player, France didn't build a thing around Pogba and we shouldn't build around Bruno either.

You don't have to build around a player, France didn't build a thing around Pogba and we shouldn't build around Bruno either.
Well the other one or two midfielders in France's team are there to cover him, and the forwards start their runs as soon as he gets the ball facing up the pitch. He's the one with the licence to go where he wants. That's building around him in my book.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well the other one or two midfielders in France's team are there to cover him, and the forwards start their runs as soon as he gets the ball facing up the pitch. He's the one with the licence to go where he wants. That's building around him in my book.
The 2 midfielders are there to provide defensive solidity to the team. You can say Pogba is played to cover Kante as Kante can't spread the pass and release Mbappe like Pogba can. You can replace Kante with any other French CMs.

It's a team game and manager's job is to find balance. Pogba is easily one of their best passers of the ball, so he plays. Likewise there are others who brings different things to the team, mostly defensively. You can't play all attacking or all defensive midfield. You need a combination that brings best out of the team.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Your book is wrong because for example the 3412 is meant to allow Griezmann, Benzema and Mbappé to play in their favored positions and France doesn't change the way they play or the system based on Pogba's presence, so from the start your point has no leg to stand on. And surely you realize that your point could be reversed and you could say that Pogba is there to cover for the other midfielders lack of creativity or skills? Or you could use logic and simply say that a team is made of players that bring different things and that the goal is to see them complement each others?

Anyway France is built around no one in particular, the idea is to put everyone in the best position possible and play as a team.

Your book is wrong because for example the 3412 is meant to allow Griezmann, Benzema and Mbappé to play in their favored positions and France doesn't change the way they play or the system based on Pogba's presence, so from the start your point has no leg to stand on. And surely you realize that your point could be reversed and you could say that Pogba is there to cover for the other midfielders lack of creativity or skills? Or you could use logic and simply say that a team is made of players that bring different things and that the goal is to see them complement each others?

Anyway France is built around no one in particular, the idea is to put everyone in the best position possible and play as a team.
Building around somebody doesn't mean everybody else is shoehorned out of position. Pogba has complete freedom in the France team, something none of the other players have. Not even Mbappe.