Paul Pogba racially abused on social media

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
To be fair, someone should also have the right to repent. You want to keep blaming someone from the stupidity he said 15 years ago? Will anyone have the right to change his way of thinking? Are you the same has you were 15 years ago?
There are some who will never change or recognise that they need to change

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Who said Neville incited the racists? The point was what he said COULD have. His rant was unneeded vitriol that served no purpose.
Then that should be discussed in the appropriate thread. That it is being brought up here suggests that there is a causal link between what pundits say, and racial abuse, which doesn't jive with the nature of racial abuse.

Otherwise, why is Neville being brought up here? I've heard many a pundit say some bullshit... I've never felt the urge to go online and racially abuse someone.

I must be missing something.

mancan92

Look all theories have a basis in research.
Some will be fact and some will suit an agenda. You can't say the Nazis' theories on racial purity were based on anything other than ridiculous belief that they were superior.

The point made about white privilege is nothing new, and I was involved in the 'Racism Awareness Training,' in the 1980s. Some will reject it outright as deeply flawed and some will see the merits in it.
I'm asking you. Do you believe that there is racism in a white dominated societies.

WireMUFC

Take a few mins and analyze what you just wrote!

YES!

Exactly my point. Why didn't Neville criticize Tammy & Sterling? ( maybe cos they are English?). Neville clearly has an agenda against Pogba then!

It's not Neville's job to Criticize anyone, let alone BLACK players. His job is to analyze and provide his view on what he thinks with an informed understanding that what he says has an impact on lot of things.

I’ve already edited that part of the post. It’s his job to criticise/analyse players, no matter their race. I Clearly miss-spoke.

The original post I replied to had nothing to do with an agenda against Pogba (the player he picked to be player of the year) I don’t know what you’re on about the rest of what you said doesn’t make sense the point is Gary Neville’s comments on Pogba hasn’t contributed to racists tweeting at him at him imo it’s giving them an excuse like it’s not their fault Gary made them do it.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Then that should be discussed in the appropriate thread. That it is being brought up here suggests that there is a causal link between what pundits say, and racial abuse, which doesn't jive with the nature of racial abuse.

Otherwise, why is Neville being brought up here? I've heard many a pundit say some bullshit... I've never felt the urge to go online and racially abuse someone.

I agree with this, Neville being mentioned so much is just some apologetic BS.

Needham

Disgusting.

Sure he will push for a move in December,

We will end the season with Fred Pereira Mc Tominay and we ll be happy for sure.

Fans nowadays are such idiots
Surely not linking this abuse with him pushing for a move...
He's long since been smitten with the 'Madrid dream'.

Inigo Montoya

I'm asking you. Do you believe that there is racism in a white dominated societies.
I've experienced it personally, so yes there is. But it has taken many forms, conscious and unconscious.

I'm able to deal with the up front 'in your face' racism and racist comments far more than the systemic racism

Morpheus 7

Neville is indirectly responsible for this, he attacked Pogba last night when Rashford was the one that said he could take it.
Aye he encouraged racist abuse, wise up.
Neville is a pundit for sky sports who divides opinion of United fans. He spoke about a decision he felt was wrong in the game. I'm sorry but that's just a daft thing to say. I disagreed with Gary's comments strongly, you can't use that extreme and point blame. Racism like that isn't accepted by United, if they are so called United fans they know nothing about who they support.

Velvet Revolver

I’ve already edited that part of the post. It’s his job to criticise/analyse players, no matter their race. I Clearly miss-spoke.

The original post I replied to had nothing to do with an agenda against Pogba (the player he picked to be player of the year) I don’t know what you’re on about the rest of what you said doesn’t make sense the point is Gary Neville’s comments on Pogba hasn’t contributed to racists tweeting at him at him imo it’s giving them an excuse like it’s not their fault Gary made them do it.
you have summed up the entire situation with your post. Neville added more hatred with his rant the same way you added controversy by poorly choosing your words. Imagine the impact of this on people who are waiting to get on board abusing people from the convenience of a scree and keyboard. Am not criticizing your post am just saying the state of mind of certain people are quite different and sometimes remarks from people they know or see can fuel the hatred.

No one really knows if Nevill has an agenda or not but it sure comes across that way, now If I interpret it that way I am sure the racists will also interpret it and go along with it.

Inigo Montoya

Think an earlier point was made linking it to White Privilege;that Neville due to his position of power in the media(as a white person) was guilty of giving platform for idiots to go and post the racist comments

Amarsdd

Can anyone sum up what Neville said including his backtracking? Thanks.
Initially, Gary was under the impression that Rashford was the designated penalty taker (since he took it last week) and Pogba took it off him and missed. Then, he himself realized that in the last matchweek there was a discussion between Pogba and Rashford for the penalty as well. So, he was really just annoyed we didn't have a designated penalty taker and it can cost us points, and deciding or discussing who takes the penalty on the spot is not professional/doesn't look good.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Think an earlier point was made linking it to White Privilege;that Neville due to his position of power in the media(as a white person) was guilty of giving platform for idiots to go and post the racist comments
I think that's incredibly harsh.

His skin colour should not, under any circumstances, enter the equation.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Can anyone sum up what Neville said including his backtracking? Thanks.

It's worth a watch if you want a laugh.

I think it's worth pointing out that neither Gary or anyone else on the panel made any reference to the colour of Pogba's skin.

djembatheking

Who said Neville incited the racists? The point was what he said COULD have. His rant was unneeded vitriol that served no purpose.
It comes across like an excuse to justify the racism though when you say Gary Neville could have incited it . I have heard pundits spout absolute bollocks for years and it has never made me want to abuse someone because of it . Racists will be racist I am afraid and to even associate Gary with that is wrong . Best to leave it there .

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You're giving them excuses. Disgusting really, people are responsible for their own actions. No matter what Gary said you really think racists are sat at home and watched Neville on MNF and thought, “it’s okay for me to tweet something racist now” I guarantee you the person would have tweeted the same to Pogba no matter what Neville said. Did Neville have any comments on Tammy Abraham the other day? Or Sterling in the past?

You are allowed to criticise black players for what they do on the pitch, it’s Neville's job. He should be allowed to do it without fear of idiots racially abusing them.
It's not Gary Neville's job to be a hysterical buffoon and carry out a public agenda against players he doesn't like. It's his job to comment on football.

And you keep missing the point. Racial abuse happens on a daily basis regardless of hysterics like Neville's. The point is an unnecessary potential trigger is not needed. Just because it may not have triggered it doesn't mean it can't. It's really simple stuff

OL29

It's worth a watch if you want a laugh.

I think it's worth pointing out that neither Gary or anyone else on the panel made any reference to the colour of Pogba's skin.
Not having a go but why is that worth pointing out? Don’t think anyone’s accused Neville of calling Pogba a black c*nt or anything of that nature.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Disgusting

By all accounts he played quite well against Wolves but he missed a penalty and then dick heads like Neville go way overboard in their criticism and create an environment in which knuckleheads are emboldened to mete our such abuse

Hope that OT crowd really gets behind him against Palace and that he puts on a vintage display

Best way to shove it down the throats of critics

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Not having a go but why is that worth pointing out? Don’t think anyone’s accused Neville of calling Pogba a black c*nt or anything of that nature.
He was being a tad ironic there I think!

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
It's not Gary Neville's job to be a hysterical buffoon and carry out a public agenda against players he doesn't like. It's his job to comment on football.

And you keep missing the point. Racial abuse happens on a daily basis regardless of hysterics like Neville's. The point is an unnecessary potential trigger is not needed. Just because it may not have triggered it doesn't mean it can't. It's really simple stuff
You are absolutely right. We should all look at our actions and act in the basis od If's, Could's, Maybe's and so on. Maybe your posts COULD trigger some to attack Neville. You should delete them

Lee565

Well done neville for stoking the fire for giving pathetic morons the ammunition to be racist on social media, he dare not have pop at the home grown guys or Solskjear for lacking authority in selecting the penalty taker.

Fully Fledged

There's far too much hate directed at players in general... i mean the shit that Young, Matic, Mata, Sanchez etc. get on here, often for barely any reason, is in itself pretty disgusting. I mean there our players for feck sake... be critical sure but it just gets way overboard at times.

And when it gets overboard then its just natural that the cesspools of the world like twitter take that further to racist/ other disgusting forms of abuse. There's far too much hate in the world, and it's pathetic.
I totally agree. I said in another thread that I find the abuse that young gets sickening.

Is it really that hard to treat other people with common decency?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ah I see. But I disagree with the bolded.

Yes, Neville does have an immense amount of privilege that he needs to understand and utilize wisely, especially when criticizing black players. And no, I don't want to give the impression that black players can't be criticized. They can, and should be, harshly when it is warranted. But lazy tropes and the like should be avoided. Now that goes without saying for everyone from Neville to us on the Caf.

But does his careless remarks embolden idiots on Twitter to spout racial abuse? That's what I'm struggling with. I don't see racial abuse happening that way. If you're gonna hurl a racial slur, you don't wait for confirmation from your pundit before you say it. I wouldn't be shocked if the abuse started within seconds of the missed penalty. Suggesting that Neville played a part in the racial abuse received by Pogba lets the idiots off the hook somewhat.

Tammy Abraham's name has been mentioned here, and yes, Neville may have a bias towards English players, but that is besides the point of mentioning his name, which is that racial abuse can and does occur whether a pundit speaks or not. It's a plague in society that needs to be tackled, and making a pundit that says stupid things, a lightning pole for this problem is pointless at best.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You are absolutely right. We should all look at our actions and act in the basis od If's, Could's, Maybe's and so on. Maybe your posts COULD trigger some to attack Neville. You should delete them
I'm glad you agree we should look at our childish, agenda-driven, unnecessary actions and think about the repercussions they can have on others. Welcome to adulthood.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
C) I never mentioned Chelsea fans, I said goons and to me that meant anyone who resorts to racial insults.
:lol: Not disingenuous atall. Of course when you said "the first thing these goons resort to" you weren't referencing Chelsea fans. Silly me for misunderstanding you.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I'm not saying that Gary stoked this racism but football pundits should take care and measure the way they express themselves.

AndersB

Talk sensibly says the person trying to make out Neville's contributing to racist abuse. Emotional little girls some of you, don't like something and you have to have an extreme reaction.
Always nice to get some misogynist elements into a discussion about racism!

WireMUFC

That’s completely ridiculous. Gary Neville has had fits about everything. If you watched Gary’s rant last night and in your head thought “ooh this might spark some racists off” then I don’t know what’s up with you. He criticised Pogba. He didn’t racially abuse him. People who abused Pogba need to be held accountable they don’t have any excuse. It’s not Gary’s fault at all. How they’ve even been linked is beyond me. Give it a rest with all the “Potential Trigger” bollocks aswell. Wrong is wrong.

fps

Garbage people behave like garbage. It's not a surprise, there are some sad, jealous, hate-filled people out there, and the internet has given them an out for their impotent directionless rage.

fps

I agree with this, Neville being mentioned so much is just some apologetic BS.
It is ridiculous that Gary Neville is being brought up, as if the people posting are not responsible for their own actions. It is they who are responsible for their disgusting, pathetic outbursts, no-one else.

fps

That’s completely ridiculous. Gary Neville has had fits about everything. If you watched Gary’s rant last night and in your head though “ooh this might spark some racists off” then I don’t know what’s up with you. He criticised Pogba. He didn’t racially abuse him. People who abused Pogba need to be held accountable they don’t have any excuse. It’s not Gary’s fault at all. How they’ve even been linked is beyond me. Give it a rest with all the “Potential Trigger” bollocks aswell. Wrong is wrong.
I agree.

pastyfool

Neville’s comments last night had just as much influence on the racist tweets as computer games do with mass shootings in the States. NOTHING.

Stop looking to point fingers at people you don’t like. Neville also went on to say last night that he believed Pogba could be the player of the season.

And for all of you reading this who still think Neville is somewhat to blame, if at some point in the future Young gets racially abused online (which I’m sure he has already) will it be OK for me to point a finger at half of you on this forum who are constantly slagging him off... Of course not.

There’s going to be a percentage of idiots out there.
Don’t be one of them.

Skubah

Spoken like a true man of privilege.

Thank god I joined this forum, makes it so much easier to disconnect from the club in its current state when I have such a low op
So because I disagree with your agenda I am a man of privilege even when you do not know a single thing about me. How very typical.

How about you come off that high horse of moral ambiguity and contribute something meaningful instead of spouting that same old drivel about how people are privileged if they do not share the same viewpoint.

Then maybe we could have a civil discussion :)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Yes, Neville does have an immense amount of privilege that he needs to understand and utilize wisely, especially when criticizing black players. And no, I don't want to give the impression that black players can't be criticized. They can, and should be, harshly when it is warranted. But lazy tropes and the like should be avoided. Now that goes without saying for everyone from Neville to us on the Caf.

But does his careless remarks embolden idiots on Twitter to spout racial abuse? That's what I'm struggling with. I don't see racial abuse happening that way. If you're gonna hurl a racial slur, you don't wait for confirmation from your pundit before you say it. I wouldn't be shocked if the abuse started within seconds of the missed penalty. Suggesting that Neville played a part in the racial abuse received by Pogba lets the idiots off the hook somewhat.

Tammy Abraham's name has been mentioned here, and yes, Neville may have a bias towards English players, but that is besides the point of mentioning his name, which is that racial abuse can and does occur whether a pundit speaks or not. It's a plague in society that needs to be tackled, and making a pundit that says stupid things, a lightning pole for this problem is pointless at best.
Hopefully, this post puts to bed any suggestion that Gary Neville is to be associated with this thread.

romufc

Neville’s comments last night had just as much influence on the racist tweets as computer games do with mass shootings in the States. NOTHING.

Stop looking to point fingers at people you don’t like. Neville also went on to say last night that he believed Pogba could be the player of the season.

And for all of you reading this who still think Neville is somewhat to blame, if at some point in the future Young gets racially abused online (which I’m sure he has already) will it be OK for me to point a finger at half of you on this forum who are constantly slagging him off... Of course not.

There’s going to be a percentage of idiots out there.
Don’t be one of them.
Brilliant post. Fans always looking for someone to blame.

Rather than getting behind the player, looking at reasons why he is being abused and blaming pundits who's job is to criticise players and also praise players.

You have to be a complete idiot to racially abuse a player. No matter what he has done. It should not be condoned.

OL29

The problem with this is that Neville himself acknowledges the influence that the bile spewed by the press can have. He accepts that the media hold some form of accountability when it came to the abuse dished out to Raheem Sterling so you’d expect him to be more responsible in his criticism of Pogba, yet we keep on seeing these personal attacks. It’s disappointing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Brilliant post. Fans always looking for someone to blame.

Rather than getting behind the player, looking at reasons why he is being abused and blaming pundits who's job is to criticise players and also praise players.

You have to be a complete idiot to racially abuse a player. No matter what he has done. It should not be condoned.
Society in general will always need a scapegoat.