Paul Pogba racially abused on social media

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The worst thing is that they completely papered over the main issue. Why Ole thinking having two penalty takers is a good thing? From a managerial standpoint it looks weak and naive to have players figure out who takes a penalty. Ole's comments after didn't make a case for it being a good idea either. Sky showed a stat that Rashford is the best penalty taker. So why didn't they discuss Ole and his coaching staff allowing for this situation to occur? - Maybe criticising managers still not Neville's thing.

Also, showed disrespect to Wolves. Who were the better team in the second half. Imagine being a Wolves fan, seeing Neves score that goal for it to be dominated by a missed penalty.
They weren't. It was more balanced but they were nowhere near the better side.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
As many have said, as long as anonymity is so easily achieved on social media, stupid stuff like this will continue to happen.
Obviously people shouldn't have racist thoughts because a player missed a penalty anyway, but social media needs to do more to punish the idiots.
I don't think this has much to do with racist thoughts due to a penalty. People want to hurt the player as a punishment for missing the penalty and will think of the worst possible thing to say to achieve that. A lot of these dumb youtube comments are like that

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Nobody is blaming him. People are saying his idiotic rant doesn't help.
Gary Neville's rant last night and the moron spouting racial abuse over twitter are entirely separate issues. They're not even remotely related.

Neville isn't the first football pundit to have a pop at Pogba. Where were these racist idiots when Souness was running his name into the ground every single week?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
His idiotic rant has nothing at all to do with racists and to imply that it doesn`t help is pure nonsense .
Gary Neville behaving like a 3 year old over a missed penalty to worldwide audience did not help the public sentiment towards Pogba. It's not difficult to understand.

Inigo Montoya

If that is what you picked up from the post then it kind of shows where your heads at.
It was a very general comment ignoring wider issues. If you didn't pick it up, then it shows where yours is!;)
Maybe spend a bit more time in lectures eh?;)

Interesting that you seem to be shirking the blame onto Neville. Also interesting that you shared a tweet from Maguire blaming this on trolls. But when the same thing happened to Tammy last week it was obviously those scummy racist Chelsea fans behind it:
A) No one is blaming anything soley on Neville, but him acting hysterical over it doesn't help the situation.

B) The tweet I shared about Maguire I agreed with his sentiments about ID checks etc it's too easy for people to spew racial hatred online without any consequences.

C) I never mentioned Chelsea fans, I said goons and to me that meant anyone who resorts to racial insults.

fergiesarmy1

Gary Neville behaving like a 3 year old over a missed penalty to worldwide audience did not help the public sentiment towards Pogba. It's not difficult to understand.
How many of these racist posts were prior to Neville speaking though, I don’t believe people with these views were going to post what they did just because they heard Neville speaking.

Inigo Montoya

Gary Neville's rant last night and the moron spouting racial abuse over twitter are entirely separate issues. They're not even remotely related.

Neville isn't the first football pundit to have a pop at Pogba. Where were these racist idiots when Souness was running his name into the ground every single week?
And of course when Neville was defending him at that point.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Gary Neville's rant last night and the moron spouting racial abuse over twitter are entirely separate issues. Not even remotely related.

Like I said above, Gary Neville's hysterics contributed towards the negativity. It certainly doesn't help and CAN fuel the bigots spewing their vile. It's really simple to understand. Nobody is saying Gary Neville is at fault, but that he should act like an adult, even though he's an pundit, because the things he said CAN fuel these racist outbursts.

djembatheking

Gary had a rant about a football matter and to imply that he didn`t help matters which incited people to give Pogba racist abuse is insane .

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sorry, I'm not seeing the correlation between Neville talking shite and a racist fool spouting vitriol over the safety of the internet.

fergiesarmy1

you are right people who are racist don't need help at all to fuel more hatred :rolleyes:. which world are you living in?
Well as a foreigner living in England the real one, I’m saying racists don’t need An excuse and I’m betting a lot of these posts came within minutes of the penalty miss.

Velvet Revolver

Well as a foreigner living in England the real one, I’m saying racists don’t need An excuse and I’m betting a lot of these posts came within minutes of the penalty miss.
Yes I think everyone here understands that ( fellow foreigner living in US). Issue is that people like Neville knowingly or unknowingly add more fuel to the already big fire, and Neville as a public figure should know that. Having a rant as a pundit for no real reason and value is quite unprofessional.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Sorry, I'm not seeing the correlation between Neville talking shite and a racist fool spouting vitriol over the safety of the internet.
That's your problem because nobody said there was a direct cause and effect relationship between the two. Gary Neville's unnecessary hysterics contributed to the negativity. Once again nobody is saying he is at fault for the racist abuse, but he should act like an adult and not send they fan base into a frenzy over a simple missed penalty. Of course nobody knows if it directly contributed, but we do know for sure it was absolutely unneeded and didn't benefit an already tense situation.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
People are targeting Neville because it's the only face they can target. They need someone to take the blame. All those twitter racist posts no one knows who they are. You cant target who you dont know.

On the other hand, saying that someone that makes comments that you dont agree on someone from a specific colour, nationality or religion is a bit racist to be fair. Everyone here is minimizing criticism on Pogba on one of his features of all the ones that create a complex character like a human being. Correlating football criticism to skin colour its really Racist

Inigo Montoya

you are right people who are racist don't need help at all to fuel more hatred :rolleyes:. which world are you living in?
You're assuming the post(s) occurred after Neville's comments? What if it was immediate or in real time?

Not that it matters. Pundits are being accused of enabling racism due to fair or unfair criticism. If we are asking them to be more guarded about all comments, about everyone then fair enough. But then doesn't that create a sterile world where no one on TV is allowed a viewpoint for fear of being accused as racist or bigoted

WireMUFC

You're giving them excuses. Disgusting really, people are responsible for their own actions. No matter what Gary said you really think racists are sat at home and watched Neville on MNF and thought, “it’s okay for me to tweet something racist now” I guarantee you the person would have tweeted the same to Pogba no matter what Neville said. Did Neville have any comments on Tammy Abraham the other day? Or Sterling in the past?

You are allowed to criticise players for what they do on the pitch, it’s Neville's job. He should be allowed to do it without fear of idiots racially abusing them.

Last edited:

passing-wind

Twitter is just as succeptable for the abuse. There's no parameters to restrict users creating new accounts as they please, which is solely for trolling / abusive purposes. I can't believe how the media are going crazy with a penalty miss.

Pogba scored more goals than any outfield player last season. He is the reason why Solskjaer got the job. Rashford said there's a policy that whoever wins the challenge takes it. That fault lies with Ole as he is the manager and has given his authority to the players. Gary Neville is nothing short of idiotic, even for a previous player of this club he's more detestable season by season.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yeah, you can tell when a company or organisation talks about 'their values' that they don't give a f*ck unless it affects their public image.

OL29

Yeah, you can tell when a company or organisation talks about 'their values' that they don't give a f*ck unless it affects their public image.
Yeah it’s all spin, would rather the club didn’t comment at this point.

Velvet Revolver

You're giving them excuses. Disgusting really, people are responsible for their own actions. No matter what Gary said you really think racists are sat at home and watched Neville on MNF and thought, “it’s okay for me to tweet something racist now” I guarantee you the person would have tweeted the same to Pogba no matter what Neville said. Did Neville have any comments on Tammy Abraham the other day? Or Sterling in the past?

You are allowed to criticise black players for what they do on the pitch, it’s Neville's job. He should be allowed to do it without fear of idiots racially abusing them.
Take a few mins and analyze what you just wrote!

YES!

Exactly my point. Why didn't Neville criticize Tammy & Sterling? ( maybe cos they are English?). Neville clearly has an agenda against Pogba then!

It's not Neville's job to Criticize anyone, let alone BLACK players. His job is to analyze and provide his view on what he thinks with an informed understanding that what he says has an impact on lot of things.

Inigo Montoya

Exactly so you think its a theory? Not an actual fact?

Look all theories have a basis in research.
Some will be fact and some will suit an agenda. You can't say the Nazis' theories on racial purity were based on anything other than ridiculous belief that they were superior.

The point made about white privilege is nothing new, and I was involved in the 'Racism Awareness Training,' in the 1980s. Some will reject it outright as deeply flawed and some will see the merits in it.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
To be fair, someone should also have the right to repent. You want to keep blaming someone from the stupidity he said 15 years ago? Will anyone have the right to change his way of thinking? Are you the same has you were 15 years ago?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That's your problem because nobody said there was a direct cause and effect relationship between the two. Gary Neville's unnecessary hysterics contributed to the negativity. Once again nobody is saying he is at fault for the racist abuse, but he should act like an adult and not send they fan base into a frenzy over a simple missed penalty. Of course nobody knows if it directly contributed, but we do know for sure it was absolutely unneeded and didn't benefit an already tense situation.
Anything Gary Neville says on the subject of his old club, Man Utd, is mostly passion-fueled nonsense and not to be taken too seriously. Anyone that takes inspiration from his comments and uses that to spout vitriol across the interent is not a very well adjusted person in the first place.

We need to stop giving the scumbags a place to hide.