Paul Pogba racially abused on social media

OL29

That’s not how it looked to me, once the fans started it felt like he was goading them.
So you acknowledge that the fan started it? I thought you said it was because he was preening around? And to be honest I thought he reacted as well as he could, I’m sure if he’d just walked away then his critics would have said he thought he was too good to be criticised. He can’t win

Rolaholic

Honestly think a lot of people are just insecure by confident people being confident and staying confident under stressful situations.

He was topless after a match. That’s normal. He was waving at the fans before the abuse. Then the abuse started and his demeanour did not get shaken, he made a sign which is not aggressive, or arrogant, or provocative it’s peaceful but at the same time he continued stand stall, confident, and with the belief that he always does. That’s a sign of real strength, confidence, and leadership.

You got Harry Kane who started to cry when the FA made banter about him stealing a goal. Then you have Pogba standing tall during abuse and handling it well. Yet it’s Pogba whose judged negatively.

Headline if Pogba ever has to fight off armed carjackers “Selfish Pogba uses carjacking attempt to show off kickboxing skills; injures 3 innocent knife wielding attackers”
The whole reason he was shirtless in the first place was that he had just given his shirt to a young fan moments earlier before that ugly exchange yet he even got slated for that :lol::lol:

fergiesarmy1

So you acknowledge that the fan started it? I thought you said it was because he was preening around? And to be honest I thought he reacted as well as he could, I’m sure if he’d just walked away then his critics would have said he thought he was too good to be criticised. He can’t win
Think he would have looked better just walking off and ignoring it than engaging them but that’s just me it seems.

OL29

Think he would have looked better just walking off and ignoring it than engaging them but that’s just me it seems.
Sorry, I still don’t understand, you said he started it because he was preening before? Can you now see how ridiculous that statement looks? The abuse was vile and you tried to blame it on him, that’s really poor.

fergiesarmy1

Sorry, I still don’t understand, you said he started it because he was preening before? Can you now see how ridiculous that statement looks? The abuse was vile and you tried to blame it on him, that’s really poor.
From the video I saw he was preening it, they were shouting. I would expect a superstar footballer to be the bigger man.

djembatheking

State of our fan base hating on a legend like Gary Neville and trying to say his rant played a part in Pogba being abused . It is only on here that I have seen Gaz talked about this way . I think a few need to get away from their keyboards for a while and enter the real world .

fergiesarmy1

Not being pedantic but you said 'preening it.'

Preening himself would have been the appropriate pronoun
I think I originally said preening like a peacock then whoever came back at me for daring to criticise Pogba just referred to it as preening hence forth.

OL29

I think I originally said preening like a peacock then whoever came back at me for daring to criticise Pogba just referred to it as preening hence forth.
You’re clueless, it’s not that you dare to criticise Pogba, it’s the fact you blamed him for getting abuse, something you can’t even make your mind up about as now you’ve shifted to saying he should’ve been the bigger man and walked away once the abuse started. The lengths you lot go to criticise the guy then get upset when you get called out on your bullshit is incredible.

fergiesarmy1

You’re clueless, it’s not that you dare to criticise Pogba, it’s the fact you blamed him for getting abuse, something you can’t even make your mind up about as now you’ve shifted to saying he should’ve been the bigger man and walked away once the abuse started. The lengths you lot go to criticise the guy then get upset when you get called out on your bullshit is incredible.
I think you sound upset pal. I won’t invest in Pogba because he doesn’t want to be here and probably won’t be this time next year. I’ve seen this one before somewhere!

The_Order

Whether he wants to be here or not, it is clear to me and good amount of Supporters that this kind of rejection is being taken personally.

Letting this cloud your common sense is shameful and rather exposes your fragility.

fergiesarmy1

Whether he wants to be here or not, it is clear to me and good amount of Supporters that this kind of rejection is being taken personally.

Letting this cloud your common sense is shameful and rather exposes your fragility.
If that’s aimed at me, nothing fragile about me. If he wants to go he can go as far as I am concerned as long as we have a suitable replacement.

Within the last 48 hours on this thread I have been called xenophobic amongst many other insults just because my opinion differs to theirs.

By the way I’m a foreigner living in England even though I shouldn’t have to explain my background.

OL29

I think you sound upset pal. I won’t invest in Pogba because he doesn’t want to be here and probably won’t be this time next year. I’ve seen this one before somewhere!
This has nothing to do with Pogba leaving, it’s common decency, if you’re loyalty to a football team overshadows this then it says a lot about the type of person you are.

Posh Red

If that’s aimed at me, nothing fragile about me. If he wants to go he can go as far as I am concerned as long as we have a suitable replacement.

Within the last 48 hours on this thread I have been called xenophobic amongst many other insults just because my opinion differs to theirs.

By the way I’m a foreigner living in England even though I shouldn’t have to explain my background.
You’ve been going on in this thread like the guy has banged your wife for quite a while now :lol:

fergiesarmy1

This has nothing to do with Pogba leaving, it’s common decency, if you’re loyalty to a football team overshadows this then it says a lot about the type of person you are.
I don’t agree with anyone being racially abused, maybe I’m getting off track and this belongs in the other pogba thread.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
State of our fan base hating on a legend like Gary Neville and trying to say his rant played a part in Pogba being abused . It is only on here that I have seen Gaz talked about this way . I think a few need to get away from their keyboards for a while and enter the real world .
Enter the "real world" where Gary Neville can't be criticized? Confusing post.

That’s not how it looked to me, once the fans started it felt like he was goading them.
Hi Gary Neville. Any other random conclusions you would like to draw to fit the narrative in your head?

OL29

I don’t agree with anyone being racially abused, maybe I’m getting off track and this belongs in the other pogba thread.
I’m not talking about the racial abuse, I’m talking about you justifying the abuse at the stadium. You tried to pin it on Pogba which is what I take issue with. Doubt we’re going to agree on this anyway so whatever.

fergiesarmy1

I’m not talking about the racial abuse, I’m talking about you justifying the abuse at the stadium. You tried to pin it on Pogba which is what I take issue with. Doubt we’re going to agree on this anyway so whatever.
Stop replying to me in this thread - I’m o u t out :lol:

ramaowens

There was a quote from Sir Alex about Gary's temperament and it is obvious that he found a fault in this situation to actually go on a 'rant'.

Do you think fans would or wouldn't do what they did if Gary didn't have his rant on TV?

SaintMuppet

I’m in two minds about all this. Racism like other ism’s is abhorrent but we are giving these fools a lot of attention which is what they want.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Preening', in this context, is worryingly close to 'uppity'.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
'Preening', in this context, is worryingly close to 'uppity'.
Stop preening with your fancy words, you uppity welsh.

PS: I'm still not sure if you are actually welsh.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
The whole reason he was shirtless in the first place was that he had just given his shirt to a young fan moments earlier before that ugly exchange yet he even got slated for that :lol::lol:
“Pogba exposes himself to a young fan”

Reactions: SteveJ

jem

Atrocity of a post. You really have to bring Hitler and the holocaust into this? Have you no shame? If the complexities of an issue like this are lost on you, maybe you should take a break. Seriously, topics like this seriously do bring 'em out.
The poster is using an extreme example to illustrate how ridiculous it is to condemn Neville for not commenting on the racist abuse. Now of course one can claim that the example is a little over the top, but I personally think you just enjoy being an outrage merchant, with all the finger-wagging that entails (I don't even think you're really that outraged; you likely just want to be seen to be outraged.) I checked some of your other posts in this thread and others (because yes I am that petty,) and the number of posts that start with something along the lines of: 'outrageous post!' or 'an atrocity of a post!' is quite amusing.

Foxbatt

It is absolutely unacceptable that Pogba or for that matter anyone should be racially abused. Such activities must be condemned strongly. I do not know Gary Neville at all to know if he is a racist or not or if his rant at Pogba emboldened someone else to abuse Pogba. But people in respected positions should know that what they say could be used for racial abuse. From what I have seen on the TV it looks like Gary Neville is losing the plot as he seems to be in a constant rage these days and ranting even on the Sunday debate.

Tostao_80

The poster is using an extreme example to illustrate how ridiculous it is to condemn Neville for not commenting on the racist abuse. Now of course one can claim that the example is a little over the top, but I personally think you just enjoy being an outrage merchant, with all the finger-wagging that entails (I don't even think you're really that outraged; you likely just want to be seen to be outraged.) I checked some of your other posts in this thread and others (because yes I am that petty,) and the number of posts that start with something along the lines of: 'outrageous post!' or 'an atrocity of a post!' is quite amusing.
The irony in this post. An outrage merchant you say? I've also gone through your post history. Didn't you, when having a discussion with JPRouve start talking about racism? Even though he had explicitly said he didn't suspect any racism in Neville. And when you got called out for it, you backtracked and called it a misunderstanding? No wonder threads get derailed, when we have posters who are intent on misrepresenting other peoples perspectives. Either that or wilful ignorance.

jem

The irony in this post. An outrage merchant you say? I've also gone through your post history. Didn't you, when having a discussion with JPRouve start talking about racism? Even though he had explicitly said he didn't suspect any racism in Neville. And when you got called out for it, you backtracked and called it a misunderstanding? No wonder threads get derailed, when we have posters who are intent on misrepresenting other peoples perspectives. Either that or wilful ignorance.
Outrageous response! What an absolute travesty that you conflate.....don't you understand nuance....willful ignorance! I'm outraged!

Tostao_80

Outrageous response! What an absolute travesty that you conflate.....don't you understand nuance....willful ignorance! I'm outraged!
Oh, I've upset his little feelings, poor sausage. I promise to do better. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MrBrightside1989

No form if racial abuse should have to be tolerated by any people in our world. Yet for some reason people on social media seemingly think it is ok when hiding behind a fake username.
It seems like racial abuse and racism can not be stopped in the modern football world, which is a sad reflection of our culture- and not just the uk. There needs to be real sanctions for people on social media who spout obscene nonsense to players. It is a game of football... people will miss penalties, people will make mistakes and we will all be disappointed when we don't win, but it's not like they are deliberately playing poorly.
Paul Pogba is the most talented footballer at our club in my opinion. As fans we need to show him support!

Reactions: SteveJ

pastyfool

You keep missing the point. Neville has a worldwide platform and he's a United legend. This is isn't the first time he's had his crosshairs on Pogba. Last season he virtually placed the blame on him for Mourinho's sacking and called him "rotten" on live television after the Everton match. The point that I and many other keep trying to make is a) he should keep his negative biases against Pogba to himself and b) he should know better due to his platform and stature at the club. Mind you his platform isn't the Caf or 4chan.

It's not a murky road to say to people with influence, like Neville, to stop disproportionately vilifying and scapegoating players, especially who susceptible to abuse.

I do understand the point you’re making but in this case I don’t agree with it. Like you are free to disagree with my point.

Just for context (as you’ve brought it up twice (the first time I thought I’d just let it slide)), if you’re referring to the post match interview on Sky, after the 4-0 defeat to Everton, Neville never call Pogba ‘rotten’.

The Sky host used the word ‘rotten’ (when referring to some players and the dressing room) after Neville described the performance as ‘rancid'. The host then asked Neville to ‘name names’. Neville replied that ‘I don’t need to name names Dave. Everyone knows who they are. They’re in the newspapers every single day. They’re on social media every single day’.

The host then said ‘Well I think people would assume you’re talking about Paul Pogba but before the game today you said it wasn’t Pogba’.

If that’s the interview you're referring to, then you’re putting words into Neville’s mouth and misquoting him on a public forum which I think is unfair and only adds to this new finger waving rhetoric towards him.

As a ‘Full Member’ with all the ‘privileges’ that it brings you on this site, should you be allow to misquote someone and add to the narrative that some people are beginning to believe on here that Neville is some kind of hate speech enabler?

I’m not saying that this is your narrative but people can read your words, 'called him "rotten" on live television’, not fact check it, because lets face it, it’s on the internet so it must be true, and then fire off a quick Tweet to Neville calling him a ****, because of what he called Pogba.

Just like some idiots listen to what Neville is saying but hear something else and then go off to post bile online.

I don’t care what your personal feelings are towards Neville. You can criticise every word that comes out of his mouth but when you start spreading falsities, that’s crossing a different line.

I’ve tried finding a quote from Neville where he has called Pogba ‘rotten’ but so far I’ve failed to find one. If you can, then I apologise to you and please ignore everything that I’ve written.

Neville has been quoted as saying the club was 'rotten to the core’ but as I understand it, that was aimed at United’s hierarchy. Maybe this is where your misunderstanding has come from.