Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

bosskeano

I'd be shocked if United were to let him leave for nothing. He was our record transfer after all, the optics of losing him for nothing would be pretty bad.

Selling him this summer is the only real choice here. I don't take the tweet above seriously, but we all know the only way Pogba signs a new deal is for ridiculous money.
that's the thing now though just look at the number of free transfers this summer.

Just look at this list of top players who have contracts expiring next summer in 2022. The list is staggering and it's some top top players like Mbappe.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/statistik/endendevertraege

Scholsey2004

I wouldnt give him a wage increase at all. Hes not even in the first 11 half the time. If youre already on 4 times what McTominay gets and you dont start ahead of him then youre overpaid. IMO hes a luxury player.

lost7

The fact that people are taking a random tweet as gospel is just pathetic. Unless it's from a reputable source, why is that being taken seriously?

pascell

The fact that people are taking a random tweet as gospel is just pathetic. Unless it's from a reputable source, why is that being taken seriously?
Because its not a random tweet? A few French journalists have now said PSG are interested in Pogba and Pogba is interested in their project

Scholsey2004

We'd have had 6 years of him for that money though, at least.

I'm not sure we've learnt the lessons of Rooney, De Gea, Jonesy etc, so I can see us announcing some insane 5-6 year deal soon.
Thats the worry. Woodward and Judge are still in the picture and theyve made some crazy contract decisions in the past. Pogbas already on a third more than Fernandes. Increasing that disparity for a player who frequently isnt chosen for the first 11 in favour of players on far lower wages would be a typically poor decision.

buchansleftleg

I'd tell him and his agent to either accept the current deal on offer, or make a sale happen now at a price we think is fair.

If he wants to stay and just run down his contract we can tell him he will be playing for the reserves all year.

He can take his chances avoiding injury among the clodders that sometimes play in u23 sides and also see if he retains his place in the French world cup squad while he languishes in the reserves.

He has become a luxury that no longer fits the team and isn't prepared to do the work consistently to earn that sort of a wage.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Because its not a random tweet? A few French journalists have now said PSG are interested in Pogba and Pogba is interested in their project
It is a random tweet.

No other reputable Journo has mentioned anything about these figures

GBBQ

I'd tell him and his agent to either accept the current deal on offer, or make a sale happen now at a price we think is fair.

If he wants to stay and just run down his contract we can tell him he will be playing for the reserves all year.

He can take his chances avoiding injury among the clodders that sometimes play in u23 sides and also see if he retains his place in the French world cup squad while he languishes in the reserves.

He has become a luxury that no longer fits the team and isn't prepared to do the work consistently to earn that sort of a wage.
Ole will play him if he won’t extend. No point cutting off his nose to spite his face. Maybe he’d be quicker to bench him after a poor performance or give game time to VDB but he definitely won’t be exiled.

The United

It is a random tweet.

No other reputable Journo has mentioned anything about these figures
But the question is if it's believable.

I would say it is because of what we know about his agent. It would be extremely naive to think Riola will play nice with us now.

No chance.

BootsyCollins

Letting him leave on a free is not the disaster some here on the Caf think.

Having him play one more season is not bad. I’m not the biggest Pogba fan by any stretch, but he has his uses. Furthermore, when he leaves, we’ll have more budget for wages and could potentially replace him with someone coming in on a free. That wage slot looks pretty tempting for a player like Haaland.

I think the chances he moves to PSG or anywhere else this summer is pretty remote.
But do you wish him a speedy recovery?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thats the worry. Woodward and Judge are still in the picture and theyve made some crazy contract decisions in the past. Pogbas already on a third more than Fernandes. Increasing that disparity for a player who frequently isnt chosen for the first 11 in favour of players on far lower wages would be a typically poor decision.
Even the constant totally pointless renewing of Mata's deals worries me a bit.
People say he's a lovely guy, and can "influence" the younger lads. But you cannot turn me off the view that one of our youngsters would be a better use of his tiny set of minutes these days, at a substantially cheaper price.

James35

If he goes he goes, I will be gutted but if we replace him well then we move on. However if he goes and is not replaced that will be a terrible decision and certainly weaken our midfield, which is already not that great.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Van de Beek is not often considered as an option. Understandable considering he had very very poor season, but also the games where he actually played well he was a central midfielder. I still think he has a role to play.
It's becoming very likely that VDB was signed for Pogba's leaving. He's not like for like replacement but position for position replacement. CM replaced by another CM. 35m plus 5m adds on is still a big fees for midfielder, thus it makes little sense if the plan for VDB was always been a backup.

Judas

Open to offers
Will he get any game time next season if he says he’s leaving on a free and if he does, what’s the reception going to be?
To be fair, how many years has it been where we haven't all thought he'd rather be somewhere else? He's been at the club longer with us expecting him to leave than being happy to be here. He'll play, and the reception will be how it was last season.

I very much doubt he'll come out and actually say he's leaving on a free publicly though, that's not done often.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
PSG is the perfect place for him really.

Can get a huge salary, he's playing with Neymar who's a good friend and is all but guaranteed more trophies in a usual 1 horse league.

He won't have to work anywhere near as hard either, just show off his impressive passing range and skill set.

I just hope PSG don't stinge us, if we get anywhere near £60m for him I think we have to take it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Can get a huge salary, he's playing with Neymar who's a good friend and is all but guaranteed more trophies in a usual 1 horse league.

He won't have to work anywhere near as hard either, just show off his impressive passing range and skill set.

I just hope PSG don't stinge us, if we get anywhere near £60m for him I think we have to take it.
At this point I would take £50m, we know raiola wants a massive fee, so if we want a fee this year, we need to take that into account.

Wilt

For £60m, Utd would snap their hand off. Problem being his fecking agent would probably want half of it.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Pro and cons if he leaves, obviously. Having said that, as long as we re-invest properly, I'm not worried

dinostar77

Agreed. Lets hope it happens. They really need to convince Mbappe that they are serious about winning CL. Signing Donnarumma, Hakimi, Ramos and hopefully Pogba would maybe start to sway him? Who knows. Anyway anything around or about £50mil would be good.

God only knows how Maria Graniskiova got madrid to pay £135mil for Hazard with one year remaining on his contract (including the addons).

Mark Pawelek

On 'tracking back'.

Women's only Marathon world record is 2:17. 26 miles in 137 minutes. Running-wise, I'd expect all top male athletes to be at that level, or above.

How many miles is that over a 90 minute football match?

26 × 90 ÷ 137 = 17 miles

A top football runner like Leeds' Phillips can manage 13 miles in a 90 minute match. So, everyone is working within their limits. There's no excuse to never track-back when you're earning £1m /month. No excuse for Pogba's lapses of concentration, which lead to goals conceded.

pacifictheme

On 'tracking back'.

Women's only Marathon world record is 2:17. 26 miles in 137 minutes. Running-wise, I'd expect all top male athletes to be at that level, or above.

26 × 90 ÷ 137 = 17 miles

A top football runner like Leeds' Phillips can manage 13 miles in a 90 minute match. So, everyone is working within their limits. There's no excuse to never track-back when you're earning £1m /month. No excuse for Pogba's lapses of concentration, which lead to goals conceded.
Dunno where to start with this so just going to write it off as absolute bollocks.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed. Lets hope it happens. They really need to convince Mbappe that they are serious about winning CL. Signing Donnarumma, Hakimi, Ramos and hopefully Pogba would maybe start to sway him? Who knows. Anyway anything around or about £50mil would be good.

God only knows how Maria Graniskiova got madrid to pay £135mil for Hazard with one year remaining on his contract (including the addons).
That really doesn't get talked about enough. Quite possibly the worst deal in history, even if he was putting in Ronaldo like figures it still would be bad.

The fact he's barely played over 2 years is hilarious :lol:

redshaw

Apparently Hazard would've resigned with Chelsea so the length of contract left wasn't a factor and Perez had been a long time admirer.

We probably don't have that with Pogba.

pacifictheme

Absolute bollocks that Pogba's lack of tracking back led to United conceding soft goals?, or absolute bollocks that we should expect him to always track back?
Absolute bollocks that you think footballers should be able to match a marathon record and use that as a basis for anything football related.

I didn't get to the pogba bit.

Mark Pawelek

Absolute bollocks that you think footballers should be able to match a marathon record and use that as a basis for anything football related.

I didn't get to the pogba bit.
It's well known that many thousands of top male athletes can achieve women's world record feats. Fitness-wise, I expect top football players to be able to get within 10% of it. Run 15 miles in a match. I don't expect them to do it. But when they don't track back they better not cite tired legs and lungs as their excuse.

foolsgold

Honestly not stressed at all if we sell him, never looked like he wanted to be here. All the talent, zero heart. If he's looking for a massive pay rise to stay he can piss off to Paris.

He's not remotely delivered output to justify what he earns, never mind more. I'd rather give Donny a run.

RkkMan

Letting him leave on a free is not the disaster some here on the Caf think.

Having him play one more season is not bad. I’m not the biggest Pogba fan by any stretch, but he has his uses. Furthermore, when he leaves, we’ll have more budget for wages and could potentially replace him with someone coming in on a free. That wage slot looks pretty tempting for a player like Haaland.

I think the chances he moves to PSG or anywhere else this summer is pretty remote.
Do you think he'll have the same level of commitment over the season? From say February he'll probably not be giving his best because he's saving himself up from injury for a free transfer not to mention the inevitable noise in the media on where he'll go or Mino's noise on Pogba's future which will look VERY bad for us image wise. Keeping him does not benefit us and if it does it'll be little and not worth the hassle. Freeing up his wages AND getting a fee is better than letting him go for free
And this is PSG not Arsenal/Spurs money is not a problem for them they're already having good talks with Mino and they know in a years time they wont be the only club after Pogba for free and they want to win the CL NOW they are more than capable of offering something between £40-50m maybe a little more

dinostar77

Highly embarrassing for the club to lose the same player twice on a free transfer especially the clubs record signing.

Cloud7

On 'tracking back'.

26 × 90 ÷ 137 = 17 miles

It's well known that many thousands of top male athletes can achieve women's world record feats. Fitness-wise, I expect top football players to be able to get within 10% of it. Run 15 miles in a match. I don't expect them to do it. But when they don't track back they better not cite tired legs and lungs as their excuse.
These are two of the stranger posts I've seen for this week

Xaviboy

Would he get a huge loyalty bonus for seeing out his contract with utd? Maybe incentive to stay for last year get huge bonus and then piss off.