Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
My issue with this is not the player himself, as I couldn't care less whether he leaves or not. I certainly won't be shedding a tear over it nor will I miss him in the slightest. The issue is, is that we would obviously need to replace him, and considering we already need a midfielder I can't see us getting two, first-team starters and the CB we need before the season starts.

If he does leave, it will probably be dragged out which will only inhibit our chances of replacing him, which in turn could possibly screw up our season. If he is going to leave, let's get it done ASAP and be done with him.

Manny

Grammar Police
I share the indifference to him leaving.

I feel he's been on the decline for a couple of years now and he's no longer central to the success of the team. So if he wants out, I say grab the 60m or whatever and get a replacement.

Bit of a shame really, because he's been part of the journey to get us to this stage but he'll be forgotten about if we are to start winning trophies.

JB7

The club should be resilient to any piss poor offer. Whatever you think of Pogba at United he has just come off of an unbelievable Euros performance and coming into his prime. 45m would be a disgrace (Fred cost more!). I would argue it's worth keeping him rather than taking peanuts for him as he could help us win things next season.
Let's not go overboard.

FCAES_7

He might be our most talented midfielder, but since he came back he wasn't able to cope with the pressure of leading us to titles. I like pogba but the media and many fans turned on him so quickly and was a scapegoat for all our failures.. but like many said I won't be upset if he leaves if we use his money to get players. Could be better for us in the long run!! Look at Coutinho, Hazard leaving when they were the best players.

Judas

Open to offers
It's PSG or bust. In this current climate, even before covid, the truth is the market just isn't there for Pogba, his demands and him as a player. No matter how great he can be, teams can't magic up the money to pay him and seemingly aren't in a rush to do so.

OleTheGreat

Honestly speaking I thought we were getting a player who can gel this team together but instead I have seen a player who has lost his way in this team. I'm sure he was frustrated during Jose's stint but a good player makes the players around him better. Pogba should've done better. He definitely has the personality and the skills to play anywhere in midfield and on the wings. He should've definitely done better but I think we got to see only a small percentage of that. Do not compare his stint at United to that of his at Juve or the French national team because it definitely isn't one and the same. We need a player in midfield who can run the show and it sure is not Pogba. I'm happy if he signs an extension and I love his style and intelligence on the pitch but I sure will not be dejected if he leaves because I do not want the club or Ole to beg for his services by overpaying. He doesn't deserve a 400K/week contract for sure.

Giggsy13

He should hold out for Man City IMO. Whether that's this season or just walk out on a free next season.
If Pep was to build a midfielder that he hated on every level and was the antithesis of what he desired in a midfielder for his system, it would be Paul Pogba.

Chairman Steve

I feel like we can sell him for a decent price (considering his contract situation) and use the money to get 1 or maybe 2 central midfielders who are a better fit to the team, despite being inferior to him talent wise. Trying to find a like for like of Pogba is near impossible but we can have a different approach with similar position player.

I remember everyone going nuts trying to find the next Roy Keane after he got booted out by Fergie. His direct replacement was Michael Carrick, who was certainly not comparable to Keane but he slotted in next to Scholes on paper, and then we won the next three league titles and went to two Champions League finals in that same time.

RUCK4444

No it's not. The player we're maybe getting rid of does that once or twice every ten games. KDB is much, much more consistent.
Yup I said as much about KDB. Who do you think we can sign that can recreate what KDB does?

The answer is nobody. The best thing we can do is keep our best players not sell them because they aren't as good as KDB.

Longshanks

I'm not overly concerned if he goes, 50mill is a fair price considering the contract issues.

He is very much engima brilliant and frustrating all at the the same time, when he's on it, he's brilliant when he's not he's pretty dreadful. The good performances are just to few and far between and there are too many really poor performances thrown in for good measure.

The good pogba isn't worth the bad pogba even though the good pogba is our best player.

Gavinb33

I’ll say it again. We keep using this talent word like Pogba is Taarbat or Ricardo Quresma. He’s a well decorated football who has performed on the biggest of stages. It’s more than just talent that is getting him through. Otherwise he’d be going to play for Middlesbrough like Gazza.
Is it though look at what he has won, league titles and cups at Juve where they win most seasons regardless of players but failed to win the big trophy the CL and the world Cup where he was surrounded with elite world class talent such as Mbappe and Kante among0st others, you could say since leaving Juve in club football he hasn't achieved all that much and what he had won prior he was expected to win because Juve have won as much since he left

Mainoldo

Pogba also plays in this team what on earth are you getting at :houllier: why is this teams shortcomings Bruno’s fault?

We are discussing their individual performances - Bruno has had a much bigger impact over the course of 2 seasons. I don’t think that is debatable but here we are.
I’m defending a point to a stupid argument that Bruno has been better. All in all you can’t talk about a teams short comings then apply it to Bruno but not Pogba. It’s the same for both players. It’s just a preference argument at the end of the day. Bruno is looked at as some great w**}•e hope. Both have contributed well and both have failed in getting us close to the big prizes. There no Eric Cantona or Cristiano Ronaldo. But they are both very good players Pogba just being the better player. That’s all.

Mainoldo

Pogba at United
Games:
Goals: 38
Assists: 42

Bruno at United
Games:
Goals: 40
Assists: 25

You tell me.
They play two different positions for Manchester United. But expose yourself at will.

Mainoldo

Is it though look at what he has won, league titles and cups at Juve where they win most seasons regardless of players but failed to win the big trophy the CL and the world Cup where he was surrounded with elite world class talent such as Mbappe and Kante among0st others, you could say since leaving Juve in club football he hasn't achieved all that much and what he had won prior he was expected to win because Juve have won as much since he left
We can literally do this for every bloody player on the planet if we wanted to.

Pick one and I’ll give you a great argument how it’s a two horse race league or have they have more money they the competing club or how they have the luxury of playing next to Xavi and Iniesta whilst X player Have Tom Cleverly. It’s all irrelevant.

Will Singh

You're wrong again, Pogba by recent reports is currently on 250k a week, those aren't wages that potential suitors of Pogba couldn't match, the issue is the bump he wants, that's something quite obviously out of the clubs hands . Now if we were talking about De Gea or Sanchez then you'd have a point but not with Pogba
I’m talking about the clubs wage structure, yes De Gea for instance. We will have Bruno next who will be offered a new contract and as our most important player he’s wage will have to reflect that!

hobbers

Win % when Bruno starts: 60% (43/72)
Win % when Pogba starts: 48% (30/61)

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’m defending a point to a stupid argument that Bruno has been better. All in all you can’t talk about a teams short comings then apply it to Bruno but not Pogba. It’s the same for both players. It’s just a preference argument at the end of the day. Bruno is looked at as some great w**}•e hope. Both have contributed well and both have failed in getting us close to the big prizes. There no Eric Cantona or Cristiano Ronaldo. But they are both very good players Pogba just being the better player. That’s all.
You haven’t defended anything with any sort of substance though.

Anyway - United are better with both and I hope Pogba stays.

Coops73

No, quite the opposite. It was sarcasm. This notion that Pogba/Raiola keeps fecking us over is pure fantasy created to further push the narrative that Pogba is the bogeyman.
I’ll have to disagree with you there, can’t wait for the pair of them to be away from the club.

KetilOwren88

This Bruno vs Pogba discussion is tiresome. Yes, Pogba is a natural bigger talent, but Bruno has done more for the club in 6 months than Pogba has for 5 years. Pogba, potensially great as is he can be is exused so much. For me it’s just not worth it. The Scandinavian supporters club presented some stats that showed that the team pick more points without him, which is interesting. I’m not saying we are better of without him, but I think the team looks more balanced and fluid when he doesn’t play. The main difference for me between Pogba and Bruno is that Bruno in an instant bossed games and improved us as a team, whilst Pogba needs other players performing to make an impact. People are talking about his Juve stint, but I remember his last season there where Pirlo and Matuidi was out in the beginning of the season, which ment Pogba had to take more responsibilty and dropped in his performances. Now, Ole found a position for him out left, making Rashford play right, which hasn’t worked out at all. Pogba might be brilliant on his day, and even though I will be sad seeing him leave, I think we should use that situation to sign a midfielder who suits our system better.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

How many games has he been benched? Interested to know because you’d think he was a super sub last season.

Infact I will answer it. He was subbed 5 matches out of 26.
End of the day the only position he can play effectively is CAM, with no defensive duties. And even then Bruno’s goal scoring stats are far superior in that position. The deeper Pogba plays the more he’s targeted by the opposition’s press and I’ve lost count how many times he loses possession in dangerous areas which leads to a goal.

He’s a great player but I really don’t think he will be a massive loss to us. There is constant drama around him and I think it would be best to get money for him before he leaves on a free anyway. We need a proper defensive midfielder and I believe our midfield would be far more balanced and effective. It will also provide proper width as we aren’t trying to get Pogba on the wing, whilst trying to play two defensively minded midfielders, with a lack of passing skills.

This Bruno vs Pogba discussion is tiresome. Yes, Pogba is a natural bigger talent, but Bruno has done more for the club in 6 months than Pogba has for 5 years. Pogba, possibly great as is he can be is exused so much. For me it’s just not worth it. The Scandinavian supporters club presented some stats that showed that the team pick more points without him, which is interesting. I’m not saying we are better of without him, but I think the team looks more balanced and fluid when he doesn’t play. The main difference for me between Pogba and Bruno is that Bruno in an instant bossed games and improved us as a team, whilst Pogba needs other players performing to make an impact. People are talking about his Juve stint, but I remember his last season there where Pirlo and Matuidi was out in the beginning of the season, which ment Pogba had to take more responsibilty and dropped in his performances. Now, Ole found a position for him out left, making Rashford play right, which hasn’t worked out at all. Pogba might be brilliant on his day, and even though I will be sad seeing him leave, I think we should use that situation to sign a midfielder who suits our system better.
Stop exaggerating - we won 2 trophies without Bruno and Pogba scored in EL final for us.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I still don't know his best position or role. After five years. That is an issue in itself.
He's played numerous roles for us and has been a success and failure in all with equal measure.
This is the issue really, in basic terms of course you want to keep one of your most talented players. But in context, do we really want to make a player who no one knows what his best position is, who at 28 has never developed into a consistent performer, who has been dropped by the last 2 managers for both form and attitude issues the highest-paid footballer in the club's history?

Which is what it would take to keep Pogba past the end of next season.

KetilOwren88

Stop exaggerating - we won 2 trophies without Bruno and Pogba scored in EL final for us.
True, and David May won a lot more trophies than Bryan Robson. Does that mean he had a bigger impact on the team? Bruno contributed to an instant optimism we haven’t felt since Ferguson retired and without him we probably wouldn’t be anywhere near a CL spot. Again, Pogba can be great on his day but I am surprised so many are downplaying Bruno to prove a point for Pogba.

Eplel

They play two different positions for Manchester United. But expose yourself at will.
Can you please point out the huge differences in their positions? And try to not move the goalposts this time.

bucky

I still don't know his best position or role. After five years. That is an issue in itself.
Still the same since he has left Juventus, as the most advanced midfielder in a 3 or as the left midfielder in a 4-4-2 or like we used him last season on the left wing, which technically wasn't really a left winger position.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Riola is like wormtail whispering poison into he ear of King Theodin. Pogba is a bit goofy and quite probably has ADHD. I like Pogba but he is no Zlatan. He is a twat and he has not earned his place in the first team of Utd. He is just not willing to do a job for the team and fulfill his defensive obligations. Let him run his contract down, he will try his heart out so Riola can get a huge greasy bone.

PJS007

Cant we just offer him to Madrid as a swap for Varane? He's said in the past he's like to play for Madrid.

kundalini

You're wrong again, Pogba by recent reports is currently on 250k a week, those aren't wages that potential suitors of Pogba couldn't match, the issue is the bump he wants, that's something quite obviously out of the clubs hands . Now if we were talking about De Gea or Sanchez then you'd have a point but not with Pogba
Pogba's salary is in the Football Leaks book. After the 2nd year, it is £7.75m basic + £1.875m if in CL + £3.78m loyalty bonus + £2.87m image rights = £16.275m

There is a Daily Mail image with the details in the first post on the following thread (requires careful reading as the figures for the first and second years are slightly different): https://www.redcafe.net/threads/football-leaks-ibrahimovic-and-pogba-wages.428839/

Last edited:

Gerald G

Someone posted the stats on here, but our win rate significantly goes up when Pogba doesn't start under Ole.

Hard to argue against the facts.

I'd like for him to stay, but we've lost better players before and done fine.
I've seen our midfield, it's not good enough to win the Premier League that's for sure. That midfield can challenge for top 4 but isn't going to win major trophies.

My point seems to be missed, I'm saying if he leaves we must significantly improve our midfield. It's far from good enough. That's my point. Even if he stays, we should be after a DM.

LoneStar

My issue with this is not the player himself, as I couldn't care less whether he leaves or not. I certainly won't be shedding a tear over it nor will I miss him in the slightest. The issue is, is that we would obviously need to replace him, and considering we already need a midfielder I can't see us getting two, first-team starters and the CB we need before the season starts.

If he does leave, it will probably be dragged out which will only inhibit our chances of replacing him, which in turn could possibly screw up our season. If he is going to leave, let's get it done ASAP and be done with him.
Think VDB would play a bigger part in the team. On theory at least.

That's Bruno, VDB, McTominay, Fred and Matic. Plus his replacement. Oh and Mata too. We do have numbers.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Think VDB would play a bigger part in the team. On theory at least.

That's Bruno, VDB, McTominay, Fred and Matic. Plus his replacement. Oh and Mata too. We do have numbers.
Yeah, we have numbers, but the quality is the issue. We already have to upgrade on one of McTominay or Fred. Matic is solid, but he's not going to play THAT often. And Mata will have little game time, IMO. Our midfield needs upgrading now, and that's before Pogba possibly leaves.

Teja

Cant we just offer him to Madrid as a swap for Varane? He's said in the past he's like to play for Madrid.
They want cash so they can sign Mbappe. Which in and of itself is a bit stupid. Modric and Kroos aren't getting any younger and they have no readymade replacements.