Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

He'sRaldo

It's spelled "spacegoating" but I get your point. How much of that stuff is entirely media built though? You're always going to have a section of any fanbase that are going to shout negative things, but I don't know a lot of match going fans who have actively booed him. If anything it's the anonymous folk on social media, and there's no guarantee that they're even United fans!

But, even if it was United fans, so what? He's paid to play for the club, and his performances have been patchy at best. A few amazing moments, but also a few games where he's been completely absent. If he then posts tonnes of social media stuff all on the name of his brand then he's going to get people voicing their opinions about it. That's not hounding him out of the club - that's just reality!

It's like any other job, really. If any one of us was just working to the bare minimum level at times, occasionally putting in the hard work but not consistently enough to call it a regular occurrence, and our bosses and colleagues said "maybe you should put the phone down, stop making excuses or extend platitudes, and get back to work?" you've only really got two options;

1) do it
2) say you can't do it

If, however, you got everyone who knows you to read your script about how your being treated unfairly, people are being cruel etc ALL BECAUSE they had the audacity to comment that your below expectations performances are below expectations then you're just being a bit of a wanker who is playing victim whilst sitting in your big flash house, which has been paid for based on a wage that you're getting for expected performances that you've been woefully..
Below expectations with!

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. Every transfer window his agent magically comes in and stirs the pot - Paul seems rather quiet about that every time. But Dave from Portsmouth with the avatar of some manga character calls him shit on Twitter and suddenly Paul is sitting there in front of the screen writing another entry in his Sadness Diary?

Online trolls, though; he's definitely had lots of those and they can all feck off to the moon without scapesuits as soon as possible.
I see your point in terms of expectations vs reality, it's fair to say for a 90M midfielder we all expected the next Viera.

The thing is, he's coming off a pretty good season. After he recovered from Covid he played well and did all the things people said he should do. Kept it simple at times, tracked back, played as foil for Bruno, played in multiple positions and even from the bench for the team. In fact he played a big part in the feel good factor we had this season when we were in first place and when we got to the latter stages of the EL.

But now that the season's over it's back to him being Djemba Djemba and stinking up the midfield. It's like those matches didn't happen. Yet when we look at the post match reactions we see the vibe was generally positive.

Of course some of it is valid, but there's too much spacegoating of him going on especially given that he's generally one of our better players. In short I don't think a player of his profile can do much more to get the fans onside (besides win the league of course), and when the fans dislike a player this much it's pretty much curtains for him at the club.

foolsgold

Psg is the perfect fit for pogba. Will rack up a YouTube reel worthy of the greats while battering teams most weeks, will build his brand even more and will ultimately not be remembered as a serious player or remotely near the calibre of top tier.
The guy has won the world cup, 4 league titles in Italy, he's a serious player. He's not done it in a red shirt though, the shitshow between him and Jose dragged the club down for about 18 months, firing Jose was correct but Pgba should have been gone as well. Entirely relaxed about him going. Hasn't justified his wages, never mind a massive payrise.

TheReligion

Abusive
1) It's good manners to tag someone if you're talking about them.

2) You were talking about the caf, not me. My post which you contested said:
You said you didn't want to continue it so I didn't tag you. I was also trying not to post your name to save you from further embarrassment. Thank me later.

Ignore him. It’s always those types who will argue against a valid point like it doesn’t exist talking pure patriotism without actually answering the initial question.

I’m convinced our current fanbase would question Zidane’s credibility if he put on a red shirt saying he can’t defend.
What are these types? What part of saying our ability to drive creative players out if the club is unparalleled is a valid point?

Do enlighten us.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Football is a team sport, I don’t think Pogba leaving will weaken the team. With a proper replacement, we will perform better as a team.
I agree with this. Just look at 06/07 season. We were somehow turned into the better team after we sold RVN without replacing him with world class striker and RVN was basically world class striker at that time.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Not really. 5 years from now he wouldn't even be remotely considered for the best PL team ever. Realistically he wouldn't make the 19th or 20th line ups.

Hes an Instagram age player. Never really delivers consistently, and has basically been destroyed any time he's faced a top midfield with us except one half away at city.

Id argue that no player in history has had such fanfare for so little output with his clubs
Oh god, I’d almost argue the opposite. The level of fanfare he gets raises the expectations so high that anything other than regular world class performances (which no player ever really achieves) is regarded as a failure. He’s a victim of that fanfare, it’s not a yardstick to measure his ability against.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
400k/week contract renewal coming in 3..2..1….

AFC NimbleThumb

Both were better for United than Pogba has been.

I take it you didn't see them play.
Wrong but it is Top Redcafe after all.

All 3 have won trophies for the club & one is still a club employee, I’m choosing to continue supporting him until that comes to an end instead of acting, as some do, like he’s done nothing in a red shirt.

Context also matters, you simply can’t compare the management nor team personnel around them.

37, my point is that in a UTD shirt they all produced and won more.

Pogba like ince is a legend in his own head. Ince at least got the PL medals.
Paul Ince, with 2 EPLs has won more EPLs than this current squad combined [DdG has 1] so the same stuff you use to berate Pogba can be hurled at every player we have.

He was the PotT when we won the Europa, indeed the second rate European trophy but he’s tangibly done more for Manchester United football club than most of the squad. When has Pogba ever called himself a legend ffs, or is it the hair dos & the clothes. It’s reasonable to dislike Pogba the player but at no point has he spoken of himself as Ince did, what utter nonsense.

I think he should leave but comparing him to Nicky Butt who might have been helped by you know, Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Keane et al. is a little disingenuous when McFred struggle to pass over 10 yards.

SER19

The guy has won the world cup, 4 league titles in Italy, he's a serious player. He's not done it in a red shirt though, the shitshow between him and Jose dragged the club down for about 18 months, firing Jose was correct but Pgba should have been gone as well. Entirely relaxed about him going. Hasn't justified his wages, never mind a massive payrise.
Being part of a world cup winning side is about the most disproportionate praise a player can be given. Giroud led the line and with respect every player Juve bought in his time their won 4 titles.

Hes talented and capable of brilliance but just not a serious player capable of consistency or any of the uglier essential sides of the game.

Mainoldo

You said you didn't want to continue it so I didn't tag you. I was also trying not to post your name to save you from further embarrassment. Thank me later.

What are these types? What part of saying our ability to drive creative players out if the club is unparalleled is a valid point?

Do enlighten us.
It is. Ronaldo was hated over Rooney and it’s clear which style is more grit and gile. Nani and Valencia.. productivity was picked over flair. Like I can’t think of a player in this recent era who the gate keepers have liked that are eye pleasing to watch. Fergie use to be a guy who liked players getting you off your seat that left with him.

Martial FC grew for a while but we chose Jose over him.

Hopefully we will enjoy flair again. But our principles are manager and media driven.

Oldyella

Wrong but it is Top Redcafe after all.

All 3 have won trophies for the club & one is still a club employee, I’m choosing to continue supporting him until that comes to an end instead of acting, as some do, like he’s done nothing in a red shirt.

Context also matters, you simply can’t compare the management nor team personnel around them.

Paul Ince, with 2 EPLs has won more EPLs than this current squad combined [DdG has 1] so the same stuff you use to berate Pogba can be hurled at every player we have.

He was the PotT when we won the Europa, indeed the second rate European trophy but he’s tangibly done more for Manchester United football club than most of the squad. When has Pogba ever called himself a legend ffs, or is it the hair dos & the clothes. It’s reasonable to dislike Pogba the player but at no point has he spoken of himself as Ince did, what utter nonsense.

I think he should leave but comparing him to Nicky Butt who might have been helped by you know, Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Keane et al. is a little disingenuous when McFred struggle to pass over 10 yards.
Don't forget Mr Jones. :)

Womp

idiot
It is. Ronaldo was hated over Rooney and it’s clear which style is more grit and gile. Nani and Valencia.. productivity was picked over flair. Like I can’t think of a player in this recent era who the gate keepers have liked that are eye pleasing to watch. Fergie use to be a guy who liked players getting you off your seat that left with him.

Hopefully we will enjoy flair again. But our principles are manager and media driven.
Fergie was the one who preferred the productivity of Valencia over Nani. Martial FC stopped growing because his inconsistency and lack of interest became a constant, rather than something that could be blamed on his youth.

Flair is great, if it's backed with numbers and consistent output. That's the difference between the Neymar's and players like Taarabt or Ben Arfa etc. It's why Nani was idolised on here for that period where he had flair, but was also producing, it was only when he stopped producing people began to lose faith.

It's got nothing to do with being a flair player or not, if a player doesn't produce consistently enough, they can't be relied on. Especially when we are competing against squads and managers who drill the feck out of their teams now.

He'sRaldo

I agree with this. Just look at 06/07 season. We were somehow turned into the better team after we sold RVN without replacing him with world class striker and RVN was basically world class striker at that time.
It's definitely possible, but it would require the right recruitment and top coaching. Losing Pogba is a blow, but fingers crossed we can make a good situation out of it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I see your point in terms of expectations vs reality, it's fair to say for a 90M midfielder we all expected the next Viera.

The thing is, he's coming off a pretty good season. After he recovered from Covid he played well and did all the things people said he should do. Kept it simple at times, tracked back, played as foil for Bruno, played in multiple positions and even from the bench for the team. In fact he played a big part in the feel good factor we had this season when we were in first place and when we got to the latter stages of the EL.

But now that the season's over it's back to him being Djemba Djemba and stinking up the midfield. It's like those matches didn't happen. Yet when we look at the post match reactions we see the vibe was generally positive.

Of course some of it is valid, but there's too much spacegoating of him going on especially given that he's generally one of our better players. In short I don't think a player of his profile can do much more to get the fans onside (besides win the league of course), and when the fans dislike a player this much it's pretty much curtains for him at the club.
Fair points!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's definitely possible, but it would require the right recruitment and top coaching. Losing Pogba is a blow, but fingers crossed we can make a good situation out of it.
You can ask yourself whether there is someone else who is not world class or top class can play better or more effective in that double pivot than Pogba.

TheReligion

Abusive

Ronaldo was hated? What you on about. Did you see the reception he got when he returned to the club? He was worshipped and still is. Rooney got plenty of stick when he clashed with the club over a new contract and flirted with leaving. More selective memory, hyperbole and sensationalism I assume?

Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani and Valencia were all bought by Fergie and part of the club's most successful era.

We chose Jose over Martial? Which one is still at the club again and got given the number 9?

Hopefully we will enjoy flair again? Signing Sancho not good enough?

I'm actually wondering if I'm living in an alternative reality to some of you. This is very odd.

Womp

idiot

That's not the point though - you'd be hard done finding many people who would argue he isn't a good (and even World class player on his day). The issue lies in that what Bruno offers as an advanced midfielder - Pogba can't match. So he has to play out wide where Rashford is the superior player in that position or in midfield where his insistence on overplaying can cause issues defensively and in transition. That coupled with his agent, his brother and his insistence on flirting about leaving makes it not worth it to keep him around, assuming he is so hell bent on leaving. As great as he is, the Pogba that plays for Manchester United is replaceable imo. We'd be hard done finding a player of similar ilk, for sure, but we could look into the availability of players like Grealish, Goretzka etc. who I consider to be both better players and better for us.

If he wants to leave, let him leave. I think it will work out for both parties. He can play in a league where the competition is of a lower standard most weeks so his shortcomings as a player won't be exposed as much, whilst his positives will be more emphasised. He gets a fresh start and to play in a team that is stacked with ridiculous talent. United get the circus out of here and can focus on building a more consistent, reliable team.

He'sRaldo

You can ask yourself whether there is someone else who is not world class or top class can play better or more effective in that double pivot than Pogba.
There probably is, but then again there's better players out there than Matic, Lindelof, McTominay, etc and they've yet to be replaced.

And my point isn't to rag on those players, it's to say we tend to act very slowly in the market. Matic has been finished for a while now and still has no replacement. Lindelof has been first choice for a few seasons now. It took us years to replace Lingard. Our RW issue is a running joke which, hopefully, has finally been resolved after so long. You get my point.

There being a replacement out there is one thing. Us actually getting it right quickly is another.

Mainoldo

Fergie was the one who preferred the productivity of Valencia over Nani. Martial FC stopped growing because his inconsistency and lack of interest became a constant, rather than something that could be blamed on his youth.

Flair is great, if it's backed with numbers and consistent output. That's the difference between the Neymar's and players like Taarabt or Ben Arfa etc. It's why Nani was idolised on here for that period where he had flair, but was also producing, it was only when he stopped producing people began to lose faith.

It's got nothing to do with being a flair player or not, if a player doesn't produce consistently enough, they can't be relied on. Especially when we are competing against squads and managers who drill the feck out of their teams now.
Your right Fergie did prefer productive over Nani. I don’t think it’s numbers it literally about what you offer the team. For instance Valencia didn’t have numbers but he was a great outlet and good defensively.

The main point was we preferred to see that than the flair of Nani. These players will always be erratic but sometimes the fans have to provide them with the confidence that we believe in what they are doing. We don’t recently.

Bondi77

Being part of a world cup winning side is about the most disproportionate praise a player can be given. Giroud led the line and with respect every player Juve bought in his time their won 4 titles.

Hes talented and capable of brilliance but just not a serious player capable of consistency or any of the uglier essential sides of the game.
I totally agree.
I like Varane but it does make me laugh when it gets mentioned about all that he has won and yet if we dropped a certain mister Lindelof into that jaw dropping Real Madrid side then I think he would also have a burgeoning trophy cabinet.

Womp

idiot
Your right Fergie did prefer productive over Nani. I don’t think it’s numbers it literally about what you offer the team. For instance Valencia didn’t have numbers but he was a great outlet and good defensively.

The main point was we preferred to see that than the flair of Nani. These players will always be erratic but sometimes the fans have to provide them with the confidence that we believe in what they are doing. We don’t recently.
That has nothing to do with players who have flair though. More 'conventional' players get the same treatment. See how Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Scotty, Fred etc. are berated when they don't perform. Flair player or not, most important is performing, otherwise it's all pointless. What's more important than Martial playing well is the team playing well. Him sulking, not making runs off the ball, blowing extremely hot and cold etc. are the reasons why he isn't being taken in well here at the moment, not cause he's a flair player.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Nothing would please me more than seeing pogba gone.

I'd even advocate letting him go for free this year, heck throw a couple of million at him to leave.

Piss of with the doom and gloom, this is actually good news :keano: :keano:

No Love

Even if Utd prefer to sell him this summer, I can easily see him sticking around and leaving on a free next year.

He'sRaldo

That's not the point though - you'd be hard done finding many people who would argue he isn't a good (and even World class player on his day). The issue lies in that what Bruno offers as an advanced midfielder - Pogba can't match. So he has to play out wide where Rashford is the superior player in that position or in midfield where his insistence on overplaying can cause issues defensively and in transition. That coupled with his agent, his brother and his insistence on flirting about leaving makes it not worth it to keep him around, assuming he is so hell bent on leaving. As great as he is, the Pogba that plays for Manchester United is replaceable imo. We'd be hard done finding a player of similar ilk, for sure, but we could look into the availability of players like Grealish, Goretzka etc. who I consider to be both better players and better for us.

If he wants to leave, let him leave. I think it will work out for both parties. He can play in a league where the competition is of a lower standard most weeks so his shortcomings as a player won't be exposed as much, whilst his positives will be more emphasised. He gets a fresh start and to play in a team that is stacked with ridiculous talent. United get the circus out of here and can focus on building a more consistent, reliable team.
Hard to disagree on the whole.

He's not a natural fit for the double pivot which has been his managers' preferred position for him, so at some point you have to either play him in his position or sell him. I do think that he definitely can work with Bruno for 90% of our games, but it has to be in the right shape or else it won't work. But at this stage, we're most likely past that point.

And tbh generally these sort of posts make sense. It's the ones which are taking the piss talking about 5 good games a season, or one good run of form in his 5 years here etc, that I'm talking about. It's like no matter what the guy does he's had just 5 good games at Utd.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There probably is, but then again there's better players out there than Matic, Lindelof, McTominay, etc and they've yet to be replaced.

And my point isn't to rag on those players, it's to say we tend to act very slowly in the market. Matic has been finished for a while now and still has no replacement. Lindelof has been first choice for a few seasons now. It took us years to replace Lingard. Our RW issue is a running joke which, hopefully, has finally been resolved after so long. You get my point.

There being a replacement out there is one thing. Us actually getting it right quickly is another.
This summer has been our most active one in term of preparation for players we are targeting. We literary already signed Sancho, progress to talk with the club on Varane and plenty of time for midfielder to replace Pogba. We already held talk about personal term with other players like Camavinga and etc.

Womp

idiot
Hard to disagree on the whole.

He's not a natural fit for the double pivot which has been his managers' preferred position for him, so at some point you have to either play him in his position or sell him. I do think that he definitely can work with Bruno for 90% of our games, but it has to be in the right shape or else it won't work. But at this stage, we're most likely past that point.

And tbh generally these sort of posts make sense. It's the ones which are taking the piss talking about 5 good games a season, or one good run of form in his 5 years here etc, that I'm talking about. It's like no matter what the guy does he's had just 5 good games at Utd.
Ye, but I think that's just the fickle nature of football fans. You've got some on here calling Rashford shite for the way he ended the season, despite playing with multiple injuries all season and still producing very good numbers. :lol:

I like Pogba, he's a very likeable bloke and an incredible talent but I don't think he's ever really had the impact we've hoped, at least not consistently enough. I do think that the Bruno signing was the beginning of the end for him. Bruno may not be as talented but he has a ridiculous knack for output - that's something that is invaluable to any team.

If we can recoup some funds for him this summer, assuming we invest it well, of course, I think it could work best for both parties.

laughtersassassin

Title should probably be according to Daily Mail journalist who has made up fake reports on injuries in the past.

POF

It's definitely time for him to go. PSG will be a good move for him. £50m would be a good deal for all parties.

If you're playing Bruno at 10 and 2 wingers with as little defensive contribution as Sancho, Rashford, Martial or Greenwood then you can't play Pogba in central midfield.

They don't need a CDM holding midfielder who does nothing on the ball. The need creativity in the middle. But it needs to be an all rounder who has defensive responsibility.

For a few games, that can be Pogba. But after a few weeks of effort he gets bored with defending and doesn't bother any more.

PSG will suit him well. They'll dominate the ball and his defensive weaknesses won't be exposed. He can switch on for the big European games and phone it in for the rest of the season.

Cman

Ok never mind the the how great and important to us PP is or isn’t.
Do people think his transfer to PSG is on or not?

Green_Red

I like Pogba as a player but if he has rejected a contract offer of the kind of money us supporters could only dream of, money that is made either directly off us or off advertising to us, then we have to say best of luck to you Paul. We don't want someone at our club who's only goal is to make as much money off us as he possibly can. His, and his agents, antics last season were unforgiveable, but we forgave him. If he doesn't want to play for us, then happy to let him go where he will be happy. Bye bye Paul if that's the case.

Manchester United is bigger than any player. It was here before him and will be here a long time after.

If he wants out then we shouldn't waste another second discussing him.

ghagua

You can't accept that one of the problems for Pogba here, is that many fans have never really taken to him? Do you remember when he talked about the, probably unreasonable, expectations of him to simultaneously be the main creative force and a midfield general which apparently a player of his price must be?
This didn't come about because rival fans were slating him. It was our own fans scapegoating him after every poor result.
Problem is, he is neither. On top of that, his agent and his family are always talking about him moving. How do you expect the fans to get behind a player like that? There are far worse players that United fans have backed to the hilt because they showed commitment when they were given chance even if they were not good enough.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Why would we want to replace Pogba with another Pogba when we've been struggling to find his position for ages. If he leaves use the money to sign someone whose best position is clear.
I mean there's no other Pogba out there, so I wouldn't take that tweet literally.

laughtersassassin

Assume if the scenario turns into like what reported, do you still prefer us to give him 450k-500k p/w to make him stay?
That has nothing to do with my post?

There is no evidence he rejected the contract. Only 1 Journo who was caught lying last season.

Do I expect Pogba to sign a new contract? No.

Do I think the journalist is correct and he has rejected one? No

Journo is just hedging his bets on the most likely outcome.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That has nothing to do with my post?

There is no evidence he rejected the contract. Only 1 Journo who was caught lying last season.

Do I expect Pogba to sign a new contract? No.

Do I think the journalist is correct and he has rejected one? No

Journo is just hedging his bets on the most likely outcome.
I would like to hear from someone who wants Pogba to stay based on him being a quality player and you are one of them. So let me ask the question again, if the scenario turns into like what reported, do you still prefer us to give him 450k-500k p/w to make him stay? Or just move him on this summer?

talking robot

If we get anywhere close to 50m pounds for him, I'll be very happy with that. Even happier if that money is re-invested in the team. The reality is that even if we replace him with a worse player (e.g. Saul Niguez), we could end up being a better team because Pogba is a round peg in a square hole. He just doesn't fit our style of play.

432JuanMata

If we get anywhere close to 50m pounds for him, I'll be very happy with that. Even happier if that money is re-invested in the team. The reality is that even if we replace him with a worse player (e.g. Saul Niguez), we could end up being a better team because Pogba is a round peg in a square hole. He just doesn't fit our style of play.
Yeah he doesn’t fit our style of play as we have all seen him for France and he looks a difference players but with Rice throwing around for 70m who would we get for 40/50m that’s better

Scholsey2004

Reports Mbappe has told PSG that he wont sign a new contract. Real have no money and very few sides could pony up enough money to buy him right now with us being a possible exception. We also have a big name French player theyre actively trying to sign. There has to be a deal we can make there, surely?