Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
United fans talk about Pogba as if we’re losing prime Ronaldo. And we actually did lose prime Ronaldo and were still successful!

Guess what, Man City walked the league last season and they didn’t have Pogba. Chelsea won the CL and they didn’t have Pogba. If he doesn’t want to be here he can go, it’s not like a team can only be successful if they have Paul fecking Pogba. The reactions are embarrassing.
Which reactions are embarrassing?

Those teams had better midfields than we do. So obviously if we sell Pogba we have to replace him quality.

croadyman

Would no doubt be humiliating to lose him on a free again, however also concerned that knowing our owners we won't get the 2 different types of midfielder needed in order to replace his output

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pogba can do unbelievable things on the ball, his long-range passing and technique on the ball are phenomenal. But football and elite football at that is so much more. Liverpool walked the league with three midfielders who, combined have less innate, on-the-ball talent than Pogba. He loses the ball far too often and you feel whatever goodness he does at one end, he will undo at the other. I don't ever want to see a good player go but we've let much, MUCH better players go than him when it hasn't worked.

He reminds me of Veron, who was an incredible player. Technique, vision, passing, dribbling, just an utter joy to watch. Yet, didn't fit the team, didn't fit rugged, early 2000's Premier League football, didn't have the desired effect of making us a better team. Even happy to sell him on to an upcoming rival!

With Paul, it will be a shame to see him go but he has won a few trophies here and given us some good performances. But it's obvious that with his fat toad of an agent in his ear, he is swayed to go to the farmers league - imagine, at this stage in your career making a move where the only positive is your agent gets €40m?! There he can spray passes under zero pressure to Neymar and have three other players running for him, while he completes a highlight reel for YT and goes viral once a week for the TikTok generation.

At 28, choosing PSG is a career downturn and embarrassment if I am being brutally honest. It actually tells you everything your need to know about Paul Pogba. Best of luck to him, I'd much rather he stays but if we get £50m plus for him - take it, improve the squad and move on.
I agree with everything but the last paragraph. They’re a really good side right now, and some of the best of last generation; Cavani, Ibrahimovic, Silva — all went there around the same age too. A side like that should realistically be competing at a serious level in the CL next season.

Irrational.

If we ended up with Camavinga and another midfielder, I’d drive him to Paris myself. Hugely underwhelming signing - had so much promise, delivered so little.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Will be relieved when the circus finally moves on. He has wanted out for years and could have given so much more. Given how little he has played in the last couple of years I dont think we need to get a direct replacement either. We do need to strengthen our midfield though.

El Zoido

Which reactions are embarrassing?

Those teams had better midfields than we do. So obviously if we sell Pogba we have to replace him quality.
The “he’s irreplaceable” crowd. As if he hasn’t been wildly inconsistent the entire time he’s been here. He’s a fantastic player but yes we absolutely can and probably will be a better team without him. Him leaving won’t be a huge loss and will actually help balance the wage bill quite nicely.

croadyman

If we ended up with Camavinga and another midfielder, I’d drive him to Paris myself. Hugely underwhelming signing - had so much promise, delivered so little.
Yeah wouldn't feel like so much of a loss IF the club brought in two midfielders but all reports seem to suggest it will only be one now and then we look at the situation again next summer along with replacing Edi too of course. I would like to believe that selling him has the same positive impact on the overall team as we saw when Coutinho left the scousers but the money involved there was very different.

crossy1686

career ending
The same convo happens every transfer window. Expectations raised, then nothing happens. Then someone says just wait till the transfer window ends...and nothing happens. If you have been following our efforts in transfer windows in the past you will see that we are following on a similar path. Including the bringing in of players to strengthen in non-priority areas. So far the same ole same ole. And our season starts in just three weeks time.
We've just spent a record fee on a British player in a pandemic and you're throwing your toys out of the pram because we've not signed Varane, Rice, Camavinga etc yesterday. Chill out, the recruitment is going well but we're not going to pay 40m for Trippier and we're not going to pay £70m for Rice.

If Pogba leaves then so be it, but we'll not get players for a good value if we run around at the beginning of the window telling everyone we've got cash burning a hole in our pocket. These teams have to sell to balance their books and the closer we get to the end of the window the more realistic the prices will get. We've already agreed contracts with most of our targets, it's the clubs that are trying to bend us over. I've never understood the people who like to whinge about something that's not even happened yet. You can gripe all you want on September 1st if we haven't signed anyone else and Pogba has left, until then, stop being a soft arse.

crossy1686

career ending
Sell him and get a replacement. Unfortunately I don't trust the Glazers to reinvest and replace him.
There have been multiple reports as far back as last season that said United are in the market for Grealish or x player, but only if Pogba leaves. This isn't a surprise to anyone at the club, they will have a list or targets for sure.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't really feel for him like some do, that he went to a club in turmoil and wasted his career. For one, he was paid very handsomely and the fee is still our record transfer. He certainly has failed to live up to expectations. We've had 5 years under two very different managers, both of whom have tried their hardest to cater to his needs, where he just does not seem like a great tactical fit. On his day he's second to none, but that is likely a lot more due to mentality than it is to do with the most optimal conditions.

If we get upwards of 50m at this stage it will be good business. Probably better than tying him down to a new huge contract.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

Off he goes then. My concern is that if hes running down his contract that his performances will be even more inconsistent and invisible throughout the season. (If hes picked).

Balljy

Off he goes then. My concern is that if hes running down his contract that his performances will be even more inconsistent and invisible throughout the season. (If hes picked).
Doubtful, I think. Behind all the tabloid press he's always been professional on the pitch and with teammates even when he had a manager who he detested.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don't really feel for him like some do, that he went to a club in turmoil and wasted his career. For one, he was paid very handsomely and the fee is still our record transfer. He certainly has failed to live up to expectations. We've had 5 years under two very different managers, both of whom have tried their hardest to cater to his needs, where he just does not seem like a great tactical fit. On his day he's second to none, but that is likely a lot more to due with mentality than it is to do with the most optimal conditions.

If we get upwards of 50m at this stage it will be good business. Probably better than tying him down to a new huge contract.
Precisely this. We promised him a lot but gave him nothing. He signed up for a new era of Zlatan, Mkhi and Jose. He was warmed into this idea of a new look United but it never happened .

It just wasn't a right fit. Just sell him and move on

El Zoido

Precisely this. We promised him a lot but gave him nothing. He signed up for a new era of Zlatan, Mkhi and Jose. He was warmed into this idea of a new look United but it never happened .

It just wasn't a right fit. Just sell him and move on
And is looking to leave our most exciting squad in nearly a decade. I think it might be his loss.

Redlyn

Yeah wouldn't feel like so much of a loss IF the club brought in two midfielders but all reports seem to suggest it will only be one now and then we look at the situation again next summer along with replacing Edi too of course. I would like to believe that selling him has the same positive impact on the overall team as we saw when Coutinho left the scousers but the money involved there was very different.
It's what we can realistically expect. What would be poor is no replacement. But we better make it a good one, proper top 4 quality. We could easily upgrade on every single one of our CMs and that is the real issue.

laughtersassassin

I would like to hear from someone who wants Pogba to stay based on him being a quality player and you are one of them. So let me ask the question again, if the scenario turns into like what reported, do you still prefer us to give him 450k-500k p/w to make him stay? Or just move him on this summer?
Entirely dependent on a few things.

1. Do we believe those figures? It's only one report so I don't.

2. If it is those figures it depends what would be our plan for not having him.

3. If our plan after selling Pogba is to just get a DM and then play then with Bruno and either Fred or VDB then I personally would be very against that idea. I don't think those Midfields will be good enough at top level. Especially if the DM doesn't contain a brilliant range of passing

In this scenario I'd rather keep Pogba and sign a DM as it benefits the team more In my opinion.

4. If our plan is to sell Pogba and make a new midfield with a DM CM and Bruno then I'd be very ok with that. I'd still like Pogba but if he wants to go and we actually will replace him properly then that is fine.

5. For me these things are never simple. Whether he is worth said money is more dependent on what our plans would be without him. Right now if he leaves our Midfield options behind Bruno are very poor. It would need a hell of an overhaul. One that ensures we get the right players in who can hit the ground running. Atleast one of those players would need a brilliant passing range as our current options do not bar Pogba.

So really it's a loaded question. Without knowing the outcome it's hard to say wether its worth it.

I can only guess what I think the club will do. And if I was to guess I'd say IF we sell Pogba we will get just a DM and go into next season with a Midfield that is more solid defensively but is a hell of a lot more limited at servicing our now brilliant attack.

And it would be a hell of a shame to have our attack and not the players to provide it.

That is why the Pogba situation is so complicated. It's not black or white. It's not we should keep or we should sell. Wether its beneficial or detrimental is entirely up in the air.

That unknown is nearly why I'd lean towards keep and risk losing him on the free. Which is apparently some people in the club's thoughts as well.

laughtersassassin

It's what we can realistically expect. What would be poor is no replacement. But we better make it a good one, proper top 4 quality. We could easily upgrade on every single one of our CMs and that is the real issue.
See that's where the club has fecked this.

When we didn't sign Jadon last summer a DM should have been brought in.

That way we should have sold Pogba and replaced him then this summer.

Now we are in a situation where we Arguably end up with a worse or atleast
More limited midfield on the ball than before.

Hence why so many would risk keeping him and signing a DM.

sp_107

When i see players like pogba and his agents my respect for players like Cavani only increases.
Never heard too much noise from Cavani or his agent even when he was at PSG

90 + 5min

Once again, drama around this squad player. Even if he has big highs, he have shown average performances for the most of the time. Just leave the club and Good luck wherever you go.

croadyman

Entirely dependent on a few things.

1. Do we believe those figures? It's only one report so I don't.

2. If it is those figures it depends what would be our plan for not having him.

3. If our plan after selling Pogba is to just get a DM and then play then with Bruno and either Fred or VDB then I personally would be very against that idea. I don't think those Midfields will be good enough at top level. Especially if the DM doesn't contain a brilliant range of passing

In this scenario I'd rather keep Pogba and sign a DM as it benefits the team more In my opinion.

4. If our plan is to sell Pogba and make a new midfield with a DM CM and Bruno then I'd be very ok with that. I'd still like Pogba but if he wants to go and we actually will replace him properly then that is fine.

5. For me these things are never simple. Whether he is worth said money is more dependent on what our plans would be without him. Right now if he leaves our Midfield options behind Bruno are very poor. It would need a hell of an overhaul. One that ensures we get the right players in who can hit the ground running. Atleast one of those players would need a brilliant passing range as our current options do not bar Pogba.

So really it's a loaded question. Without knowing the outcome it's hard to say wether its worth it.

I can only guess what I think the club will do. And if I was to guess I'd say IF we sell Pogba we will get just a DM and go into next season with a Midfield that is more solid defensively but is a hell of a lot more limited at servicing our now brilliant attack.

And it would be a hell of a shame to have our attack and not the players to provide it.

That is why the Pogba situation is so complicated. It's not black or white. It's not we should keep or we should sell. Wether its beneficial or detrimental is entirely up in the air.

That unknown is nearly why I'd lean towards keep and risk losing him on the free. Which is apparently some people in the club's thoughts as well.
Yeah scenario 4 is the ideal situation but like you say looks most likely we try to sign a DM and risk losing him on a free

Nori-

Sell, use the money to get Saul. Move on.

Him and his agent have over stayed their welcome. Ciao.

sp_107

If pogba leaves it wouldn't be that difficult to replace him. Not because he's not extremely talented but because he's rarely performed to his potential for us and 2 managers now have had trouble trying to fit him into a balanced formation.
True, Any one from Goretzka/Saul/Aouar/Zelineski can vastly improve us as we can play as a team, and we can get one of them for sure with pogba's money.

Cloud7

When i see players like pogba and his agents my respect for players like Cavani only increases.
Never heard too much noise from Cavani or his agent even when he was at PSG
The agents represent the interests of the players. We as fans just like to pretend it's the agents influencing things to absolve the players of any blame. The agents do exactly what their clients desire. Raiola represents a massive amount of players, but outside of Pogs, Ibra, Donnarumma and more recently Haaland, you never hear much about his other clients, because they aren't agitating for things to happen like the others would be.

crossy1686

career ending
Would no doubt be humiliating to lose him on a free again, however also concerned that knowing our owners we won't get the 2 different types of midfielder needed in order to replace his output
We need the money more than we need Pogba stinking up the place for the next 12 months. Him and his fat twat agent will be sat around a desk, posing for pictures while he's signing a new contract elsewhere on January 2nd. We don't need the drama this year.

Just one decent CM or DM will do. Change the formation and go Bruno and VDB or Jesse with Fred, McTomminay, Garner or new signing in the hole behind. We can manage with that for a year.

worldinmotion66

Personally, I think his replacement was signed last season in Donny Van De Beek. We all knew this was coming.

We'll only sign one midfielder this summer, and i think it'll be a more defensive one. A holder with Bruno and one of Van De Beek/Fred/McTominay playing a more progressive role will give us more against the lesser sides where we struggled last season.

::sonny::

I want to add the fact that he offers nothing defensively, he is has been a big liability there

worldinmotion66

The agents represent the interests of the players. We as fans just like to pretend it's the agents influencing things to absolve the players of any blame. The agents do exactly what their clients desire. Raiola represents a massive amount of players, but outside of Pogs, Ibra, Donnarumma and more recently Haaland, you never hear much about his other clients, because they aren't agitating for things to happen like the others would be.
It's quite clear that Raiola benefits most from his big stars moving clubs, but you're right, players have to take responsibility. If my agent came out publicly saying something that wasn't true, he'd be gone. Pogba doesn't want to be here, and hasn't for a while. When he wants to be somewhere (eg the Euros this summer), he shows up as the player we thought we were getting.

croadyman

We need the money more than we need Pogba stinking up the place for the next 12 months. Him and his fat twat agent will be sat around a desk, posing for pictures while he's signing a new contract elsewhere on January 2nd. We don't need the drama this year.

Just one decent CM or DM will do. Change the formation and go Bruno and VDB or Jesse with Fred, McTomminay, Garner or new signing in the hole behind. We can manage with that for a year.
Would you prefer a DM like Rice/Ndidi, a DLP like Neves or a CM like Saul, of course the other option is Camavinga who can offer something defensively and going forward but would Ole play him much is the question and how keen to come here actually is he

crossy1686

career ending
Would you prefer a DM like Rice, Ndidi, a DLP like Neves or a CM like Saul
Depends what we need I suppose. I don't think signing an all action midfielder is the way to go. It will cost a fortune in fee and salary, and probably not fit the team very well. I think we're probably best of going the route of Neves or Saul as a DM.

Let Bruno and the other AM wander around and keep the other DM back. As long as positioning is great and they can thread a ball through the lines to the feet of the AM's or wingers we should be fine. If we need more legs in the DM position we've always got McTomminay for that but we'll sacrifice passing ability.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Would no doubt be humiliating to lose him on a free again
It would but in a way, I’d be genuinely interested in seeing who would take him on with the huge wages he’d demand. He’s expensive and this output you mention doesn’t always warrant it.

I’ve not doubt he’d end up somewhere but unless he plays out of his skin while he stays here running his contract down, I just wonder what his value really would be. How much would a club be prepared to pay him?

croadyman

Depends what we need I suppose. I don't think signing an all action midfielder is the way to go. It will cost a fortune in fee and salary, and probably not fit the team very well. I think we're probably best of going the route of Neves or Saul as a DM.

Let Bruno and the other AM wander around and keep the other DM back. As long as positioning is great and they can thread a ball through the lines to the feet of the AM's or wingers we should be fine. If we need more legs in the DM position we've always got McTomminay for that but we'll sacrifice passing ability.
Feel like Neves offers that passing ability through the lines better than Saul, however we have seemingly been interested in Niguez ever since those Moyes days of summer 2013 so maybe we go down that route instead

Fluctuation0161

There have been multiple reports as far back as last season that said United are in the market for Grealish or x player, but only if Pogba leaves. This isn't a surprise to anyone at the club, they will have a list or targets for sure.
I hope so. I'll believe it when I see it.

They tend to tighten the purse strings when we get top 4. Sancho should have been last seasons signing really. Could've won us a trophy or challenged in the league potentially if we got him last Summer

Maybe the fan protests have pressured them to do more. Let's see. They didn't invest after Jose achieved 2nd. I hope history doesn't repeat.