Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Because that's exactly what he should be doing in midfield two. Why is that weird? The same criticism is aimed towards Fred and McTominay.
It's just very difficult role to play, especially in current United side.
Kante is a box to box player, very strong defensively but he also has a drive forward. I don't think it's beneficial to make him pure defensively focused player, as last season for Chelsea shown how much he can offer in general play.
Also, if Kante can't do it on his own (he clearly couldn't against Switzerland), I'd like the second midfielder to help him out even if that makes him play deeper and also less threatening. A lot of people think differently - that Pogba being creative force in midfield makes him immune to criticism concerning his off the ball performance. I strongly disagree with that statement simply because playing an attacking midfielder in center areas doesn't make us a better team. I prefer team balance over individual brilliance.
Let's use your phrasing:

Pogba is a creative midfielder, very strong on the ball but also helps our defensively.

Despite this, your expectations of Pogba compared to another class midfielder is entirely different. Why isn't that weird? Fred and Mctominay aren't as good as Pogba going forward or on the ball, and they aren't as good as Kante off it. Criticism isn't remotely comparable.

Take two:

Also, if Pogba can't do it all on his own, I'd like the second midfielder to help him out even if it means he has to play slightly further forward and less safe.

I don't think it makes him immune at all. It's the double standards I don't like. Pogba being weaker is a big issue, where's defensive players being weaker going forward is completely fine. It's part of their role. Conversely, other attacking/creative midfielders don't nearly have the expectation Pogba has to be extremely efficient in all areas of the pitch.

DickDastardly

Could we just end this travesty already?

The story of his return had all the elements of Disney fairytail.....ended up a boring 4 year transfer season sequel bullshit.

Member 101269

Why is Bruno already back training and Pogba is in Miami? They got eliminated from the Euros one day apart didn't they?

Why is he been given a longer break given that if performances are anything to go by it should be Bruno who got the longer break given he did far more for us last season in getting us to 2nd place.

Get him and Raiola out of our club ffs. It's just a circus constantly.
This isn't about Pogba, the length of break is an institutional issue. Are you hating on United?

Green_Red

If that fat cnut Raiola was able to find a club to buy him he'd be already gone. If he wants to leave on a free next summer, let him. If he wants to stay, take the contract that's on the table. No other club out there is going to offer more than what he's being offered, even if they get him on a free. I hope some day I see Raiola in person, I will slide tackle him for the red cafe.

Idxomer

I agree. I've been saying this for a while now. Pundits, journalists, rival fans, I get. Many of them were desperate from the moment Pogba signed for us again that he fail. He (and a potentially resurgent United) scared them. But it's tragic how many United fans have fallen for this agenda-driven narrative.
A lot of United fans have fallen for the ABU media they despised for decades.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Who gives a shit if he walks for nothing? The Glazers would take the money as dividends anyway.
Well it might cost us another signing this summer. All reports point to us needing to sell before we buy again. Much easier to just sell Pogba than find buyers for Lingard, Andreas, Dalot, Williams etc.

Strelok

Who gives a shit if he walks for nothing? The Glazers would take the money as dividends anyway.
If we can sell him for 50m for example, of course that money would go to the transfer budget. Sales money goes directly into the transfer budget, in case you don't know.

pav1790

Glazers will take the dividends regardless. And United will be out 40 something mn euros, pay his wages for a year on top - in a team that may or may not need him.

pascell

I would agree. But if no one wants him to buy him now, because they aren't willing to pay his salary and transfer amount, then I think there is not much we could do.
Thats true but I think PSG would pay £40-50m for him, their midfield is crying out for a Pogba type player.

I think if he stays without extending he just wont give his 100%. I'd be extremely nervous for example, when he defended a corner, took a penalty or was on a yellow card in a game. He surely wouldn't be playing his heart out for the team. I would rather give those minutes to Hanibal or Shoretire ( if we don't get anyone in).
Really disliked Mourinho's last year to 18 months here but maybe he did have a point in regards to Pogbas attitude.
He'd still be a liability defensively but that's because his skillset is more attacking.

Whilst he's at the club, he's shoehorned into a position which effects the teams fluidity, if its DM then we can't get him up the pitch as we'd but suspect to the counter, on LW we're suspect to getting overloaded on our strongest side. I'd much rather sell him and use the money for the players that are a great match for the system we want to play this season.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
the depreciation this year would be around 15m i would asume. iwould pay this for pog for a year
That’s an accounting matter, not a real world cost impact. The poster I replied to claimed “he is worth more to us this season, than what we can get for him”.

It would seem reasonable to estimate we could bring in a €40m fee for selling him so the question becomes; is a year of Pogba worth €40m?

That money could then be used towards bringing in a new DM to potentially be with us for 5+ years.

el3mel

Brilliant news for the upcoming season wether he signs a contract or not.

Here is a better title for the thread instead of a report by a nobody.
Not really now. If he doesn't sign a contract and leaves next summer for free it'll be an absolute disaster.

Jev

I wonder whether the Goretzka links are us planning in advance for Pogba's departure. If we believe we can sign him, then it's quite pragmatic:

1) Sell a world-class midfielder this summer for a cut-down price, replace him with a midfielder who won't be as good seeing as you'll only invest the fee Pogba generated.

2) Let said world-class midfielder leave on a free but replace him with another world-class midfielder who will also come free.

The second option sounds more appealing to me.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That’s an accounting matter, not a real world cost impact. The poster I replied to claimed “he is worth more to us this season, than what we can get for him”.

It would seem reasonable to estimate we could bring in a €40m fee for selling him so the question becomes; is a year of Pogba worth €40m?

That money could then be used towards bringing in a new DM to potentially be with us for 5+ years.
That's a difficult one to answer. If Pogba helps us win a major trophy, then would 40m be too heavy a price to pay? And who's to say the player we bring in will be a sound return on investment. We could buy another VDB and be worse for it.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
A lot of fanboys in this thread :lol:

If he leaves, he leaves. He aint getting astronomical wages over here for inconsistent and sometimes terrible performances.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That's a difficult one to answer. If Pogba helps us win a major trophy, then would 40m be too heavy a price to pay? And who's to say the player we bring in will be a sound return on investment. We could buy another VDB and be worse for it.
Looking at it dispassionately you’d have to lean towards it being excessively risky to forgo a transfer fee if he’s refusing to commit to a new deal.

There would also be uproar when he walked on a free in 12 months.

el3mel

For whom? If he leaves, he leaves. We can't force players who don't want to be here.
For us.

We invest 89m in a player and let him leave on free 5 years later. Financially wise it will reflect terribly on the club.

If a player wants to leave, sell him.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It's telling that there were links to Liverpool this morning and I was willing him to sign there.

Usually, you'd be worried.

MDFC Manager

The club would probably think about the financial aspect but somehow I think Ole would rather keep him this year. He knows central midfield is already a big weak link in the squad. Having added 2 brilliant players, its in his interests to keep Pogba and try and add another midfielder.

hobbers

Ya let’s improve Liverpool :rolleyes:
I'm very confident Klopp wouldn't want to take him to Liverpool.

Not at the sort of wages that could easily destabilise his squad. He has his eyes on players like Saul and Tielemens and more power to him, because there's no value for money with any part of signing Pogba.

OrcaFat

I agree. I've been saying this for a while now. Pundits, journalists, rival fans, I get. Many of them were desperate from the moment Pogba signed for us again that he fail. He (and a potentially resurgent United) scared them. But it's tragic how many United fans have fallen for this agenda-driven narrative.
There are a few posters attacking his influence on the dressing room etc and probably most of that is without foundation. Mainly though, as far as I know, it’s not his attitude that people don’t like, it’s his performances. His numbers are okay in the main but, personally, I don’t think the team looks balanced with him in it no matter where we put him. It’s not his fault, he doesn’t do it on purpose, I have nothing against him. I just don’t think it’s worked out for him. The constant rumours about him leaving haven’t helped but mainly he doesn’t have the right type or quality of player around him to bring the best out of him.

I’m not sure why so many people want to classify opinions as agendas but, on balance, I’d probably be happier if he left. I don’t start with that position and then argue that he’s not good enough, I formed an opinion of his contribution over a long period of time and then, based on that, I became inclined towards wanting him to move on. I’m not sure if that makes me over-critical of him but, certainly, I would want him to stay if he started producing consistently.

matsdf

I believe it could be, yeah. With Pogba I do think we have a decent shot at winning something big this year. I simply don't think there is a better midfielder available, even if we had the money. If it were my decision id risk him going for free, just to try to utilize him for one more season.

There is also the added element of not letting us get strong-armed when a player has one year left on his contract. Down the line that may show other clubs that they are going to have to pay up, even if there only is one year left. Maybe.

RuudTom83

Maybe Real Madrid playing nice throughout the Varane transfer was to create some goodwill for when Pogba signs a pre-contract agreement with them in January.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm very confident Klopp wouldn't want to take him to Liverpool.

Not at the sort of wages that could easily destabilise his squad. He has his eyes on players like Saul and Tielemens and more power to him, because there's no value for money with any part of signing Pogba.
utter and total nonsense. the delusions of the anti pogba clique literally knows no bounds

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I believe it could be, yeah. With Pogba I do think we have a decent shot at winning something big this year. I simply don't think there is a better midfielder available, even if we had the money. If it were my decision id risk him going for free, just to try to utilize him for one more season.

There is also the added element of not letting us get strong-armed when a player has one year left on his contract. Down the line that may show other clubs that they are going to have to pay up, even if there only is one year left. Maybe.
I can respect that stance.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Mate you're arguing that the fact that everyone says he's really good to have in the dressing room is actually evidence that he's a toxic presence in the dressing room. You're arguing like a conspiracy theorist and saying that evidence that he is good is actually evidence that he is bad. And then you're not even making an argument to support your point, you're just saying 'use your brain'.

You'd fail a critical thinking class. It's a bit rich that you'd tell others to use their brain, when you haven't even bothered to explain your own position.
well stated