Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

zenith

Not getting even 40 million for him and losing him for free next year will be a disaster that might even impact next year's transfer spend.

And it's not like he'll transform his effort levels and help us win anything major

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We are more likely to win something this coming season with him than without period

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why is Bruno already back training and Pogba is in Miami? They got eliminated from the Euros one day apart didn't they?

Why is he been given a longer break given that if performances are anything to go by it should be Bruno who got the longer break given he did far more for us last season in getting us to 2nd place.

Get him and Raiola out of our club ffs. It's just a circus constantly.
You have no clue why so don't understand why you're so upset.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not really ridiculous at all. There's no reason to actually depend on a player who's going to leave and will probably not be mentally in it for you.
"Probably" who are you to judge? Did Bayern stop selecting Alaba cause he refused to sign a contract?
A contract is a contract and as long as he mind his right, he should and will be considered for selection.

el3mel

"Probably" who are you to judge? Did Bayern stop selecting Alaba cause he refused to sign a contract?
A contract is a contract and as long as he mind his right, he should and will be considered for selection.
Selected for the team to be an option or something yes , depend on him as a main player while he's running down his contract and doesn't want to be here anymore and there's a big chance you'll only get shit performance from him.

Also calm down, because you seem to be the only one upset about people posting negatively about Pogba. Maybe try to remove your, I don't know what to call it, Pogba-tinted glasses ? He's not as great as you think he's.

In Rainbows

Not really ridiculous at all. There's no reason to actually depend on a player who's going to leave and will probably not be mentally in it for you.
Why would the player not want to win a trophy? And if he isn't mentally in it for United, then his performances would show and he wouldn't be selected. That's completely different from refusal to select him. So yes, it is a ridiculous stance.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Selected for the team to be an option or something yes , depend on him as a main player while he's running down his contract and doesn't want to be here anymore and there's a big chance you'll only get shit performance from him.

Also calm down, because you seem to be the only one upset about people posting negatively about Pogba. Maybe try to remove your, I don't know what to call it, Pogba-tinted glasses ? He's not as great as you think he's.
Lewandowski had a very strong final season for Dortmund while letting his contract run out.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yay more uncertainty. Just what we need going into the season!

Trequarista10

Are we confident of keeping him, or pessimistic about receiving an acceptable offer? I'd love to know the true opinions of Ole and the execs on the matter.

el3mel

Why would the player not want to win a trophy? And if he isn't mentally in it for United, then his performances would show and he wouldn't be selected. That's completely different from refusal to select him. So yes, it is a ridiculous stance.
Not really a ridiculous stance to think about depending on players who are going to be here long term than build the team around a player who's not in it and won't be here the next season.

He'll be an option but I doubt he'll be a permanent main starter next season with his contract situation being like this.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pogba is inconsistent on a good day.

I can't imagine he'll improve in that department after refusing him a move to PSG - one that he clearly wants above all else.

ghagua

A concerned fan who may pay for tickets, merchandise, or even for TV service which shows football and therefore pays a portion of his wages maybe?

A contract does not mean he has to play unless it's stipulated in the contract. It means he gets paid if he plays or not. It did not stop his mouthpieces talking about playing for other teams when he is under contract.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not really a ridiculous stance to think about depending on players who are going to be here long term than build the team around a player who's not in it and won't be here the next season.

He'll be an option but I doubt he'll be a permanent main starter next season with his contract situation being like this.
I agree.

Of course, he may very well be "pulling a Ramos" and is preparing to sign a new deal as we speak.

In Rainbows

But the team isn't built around him. Whether you select him or not, the team is as is. And yes it is ridiculous because it's entirely based on the premise that he mentally won't be in it, and would still remain a guaranteed starter if he is on his way out. It makes no sense. Not being in it mentally just means he wouldn't get selected based on performances and because he would be on his way out, there would be no reason to placate him. I don't understand how refusal to play him should be a stance.

hungrywing

Are we confident of keeping him, or pessimistic about receiving an acceptable offer? I'd love to know the true opinions of Ole and the execs on the matter.
The proverbial 'Yes'.

Or it could be Ole-Murtough using reverse-reverse psychology. Daring PSG to put in a bid over the odds in a show of poetically ironic Woodwardian dumbassery.

MDFC Manager

Pogba is inconsistent on a good day.

I can't imagine he'll improve in that department after refusing him a move to PSG - one that he clearly wants above all else.
On the other hand, if he stays and doesn't play well, there's a good chance PSG (or others) don't sign him, or at least not for the wages he wants. He still needs to play well to earn that fat wedge at the end of his contract here.

RedDevil@84

For us.

We invest 89m in a player and let him leave on free 5 years later. Financially wise it will reflect terribly on the club.

If a player wants to leave, sell him.
Again, how does it matter we bought him for 89M (Pogba) or 36M (Herrera). If a player does not want to continue or wants more money, it is not our fault.

Selling is dependent on many factors. Market should be competitive. There should be takers. And the buying club should offer decent money. And when a player has only 1 year contract left, buying club may decide he is not worth that money for just a year.

In Rainbows

On the other hand, if he stays and doesn't play well, there's a good chance PSG (or others) don't sign him, or at least not for the wages he wants. He still needs to play well to earn that fat wedge at the end of his contract here.
Exactly this.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Let's use your phrasing:

Pogba is a creative midfielder, very strong on the ball but also helps our defensively.

Despite this, your expectations of Pogba compared to another class midfielder is entirely different. Why isn't that weird? Fred and Mctominay aren't as good as Pogba going forward or on the ball, and they aren't as good as Kante off it. Criticism isn't remotely comparable.

Take two:

Also, if Pogba can't do it all on his own, I'd like the second midfielder to help him out even if it means he has to play slightly further forward and less safe.

I don't think it makes him immune at all. It's the double standards I don't like. Pogba being weaker is a big issue, where's defensive players being weaker going forward is completely fine. It's part of their role. Conversely, other attacking/creative midfielders don't nearly have the expectation Pogba has to be extremely efficient in all areas of the pitch.
I feel like I've explained that a couple of times already, but I'll do it again. The way United play we are top heavy, meaning we have a striker up top, 2 wide forwards, Bruno (who is like a second striker mostly), plus Shaw bombing forward (AWB at times too).
What it means is we need first and foremost a good balance and cover in midfield areas. Like I said with Chelsea example, they have two defensively sound midfielders who can join attack as well, and provide good balance. So far from what I've seen any midfield two which includes Pogba is unbalanced. What might be ok for France but isn't going to work for United (or it's just not worth the effort).

Offensive players weak off the ball play in midfield 3, as they get enough cover AND they are allowed more freedom. Defensive/all round players are more useful in midfield two, hence Fred and McTominay are preferred over Pogba at United. So Pogba in midfield two is a problem just as Scott would be in midfield 3.

dal

I think we will sell him if we get an offer over £50million. Basically two years worth of the contract he wants.

I’d sell him for that, thing is 500k (if that’s what he wants) on a 5 year contact is like £125 million, so deep pockets needed.

OrcaFat

I wonder what vision of the future Ed Woodward and Jose sold Pogba before he returned to United?

It will be interesting to hear what Pogba says when he's somewhere else.
Yeah. The irony is the squad is actually looking better than at any time since before Pogba came. Possibly he see this and decides to stay. Possibly he starts playing to his potential more of the time; that would be a thing to see and could be the factor that turns us into winners again.

el3mel

But the team isn't built around him. Whether you select him or not, the team is as is. And yes it is ridiculous because it's entirely based on the premise that he mentally won't be in it, and would still remain a guaranteed starter if he is on his way out. It makes no sense. Not being in it mentally just means he wouldn't get selected based on performances and because he would be on his way out, there would be no reason to placate him. I don't understand how refusal to play him should be a stance.
Give me one reason why he would be mentally in it next season when he doesn't see his future here anymore and wanted out a long time ago. Better to wrap himself up for his new club.

Again, I didn't say he wouldn't be an option, but he wouldn't be a main starter either.

el3mel

Again, how does it matter we bought him for 89M (Pogba) or 36M (Herrera). If a player does not want to continue or wants more money, it is not our fault.

Selling is dependent on many factors. Market should be competitive. There should be takers. And the buying club should offer decent money. And when a player has only 1 year contract left, buying club may decide he is not worth that money for just a year.
But it's our fault that he's entering his final year at the club without taking a decision on his future. We let him run down his contract this way. We should have sold him last summer or the even the one before it with him not wanting to renew. Under no circumstances you should go into the player's final year of contract without being sure of his renewal, especially a player you have invested shit ton of money into.

The way we managed Pogba's future at the club these last few years was honestly not good at all. He wanted to leave for a long time and we kept failing to convince him to renew but at the same time refused to let him go. Ultimately we are now looking forward to losing him for free.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I feel like I've explained that a couple of times already, but I'll do it again. The way United play we are top heavy, meaning we have a striker up top, 2 wide forwards, Bruno (who is like a second striker mostly), plus Shaw bombing forward (AWB at times too).
What it means is we need first and foremost a good balance and cover in midfield areas. Like I said with Chelsea example, they have two defensively sound midfielders who can join attack as well, and provide good balance. So far from what I've seen any midfield two which includes Pogba is unbalanced. What might be ok for France but isn't going to work for United (or it's just not worth the effort).

Offensive players weak off the ball play in midfield 3, as they get enough cover AND they are allowed more freedom. Defensive/all round players are more useful in midfield two, hence Fred and McTominay are preferred over Pogba at United. So Pogba in midfield two is a problem just as Scott would be in midfield 3.
Except he isn't weak off the ball. There's an absolute litany of examples that demonstrate it. When a player plays in a midfield two and has games where he wins the ball back more than Kante, he's doing something right. And your reductive argument that it was in some way the midfields fault France failed doesn't float. Pogba, in that deeper role, not only was winning the ball back regularly, but also creating a hat full of chances for misfiring attack.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Ya let’s improve Liverpool :rolleyes:
I feel he would make them worse as a unit. No need to raise your eyes. It's a fairly reasonably opinion :).

I felt the same when Depay, who is also a very talented player, was linked with going to the dippers.

MDFC Manager

Give me one reason why he would be mentally in it next season when he doesn't see his future here anymore and wanted out a long time ago. Better to wrap himself up for his new club.
Well PSG haven't given him a pre-contract yet, if he doesn't play well, they could well get cold feet and not want to sign him at all.

Its in his best interests to perform well, at least until PSG actually give him a deal.

el3mel

Well PSG haven't given him a pre-contract yet, if he doesn't play well, they could well get cold feet and not want to sign him at all.

Its in his best interests to perform well, at least until PSG actually give him a deal.
Except PSG will put in their mind he's not performing because he doesn't give a shit about his current club anymore, and not because his form is actually shit.

lysglimt

Scout
For those who believe he would join Liverpool :

First of all - I don't think he would join Liverpool, that he has a bit more respect for OGS, his teammates, and the fans

But even if he did - and Liverpool did want him: their highest paid player makes around £200.000 a week - it would destroy their wages if they sign Pogba who would at least ask close to double of what someone like Salah has.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If we let him stay with no contract it's a stupid decision.

If we give him a 400k/week contract it's an even stupider decision.

Selling him is the least worst option. We're going to either keep him for diminishing returns and embarrassingly lose him on a free, or end up giving him and the pig in a polo shirt a deal that make De Gea's and Martial's look almost sensible.
I agree with you, but the problem here is that there is a possibility we don't receive a good enough offer. When you count his wages along with a transfer and agent fee in a situation where the other club can sign him for free in 6 months time we can easily find ourselves in a situation where PSG will go for no more than 40 million € or even less. There is also a chance they might wait for a year.
They know we also probably need money for further investments in the team and midfield position needs to be sorted with Pogba going or not so they will definitely try to lowball us.

I think we should try to offload other players like Lingard, Bailly, even Martial under condition there is a good enough offer and go for a midfielder because we need one regardless of Pogba going or not.

In any case, the worst case scenario for me is also +400k contract. Our transfer dealings this summer give me optimism we will handle the situation well whatever scenario might occur going forward with Pogba.

MDFC Manager

Except PSG will put in their mind he's not performing because he doesn't give a shit about his current club anymore, and not because his form is actually shit.
I'd like to think that nobody is as stupid as that.

I can't even think of any player who's downed tools in the last year of his contract to save himself for his new club. Then again, people love to character assassinate Pogba, so...

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
For those who believe he would join Liverpool :

First of all - I don't think he would join Liverpool, that he has a bit more respect for OGS, his teammates, and the fans

But even if he did - and Liverpool did want him: their highest paid player makes around £200.000 a week - it would destroy their wages if they sign Pogba who would at least ask close to double of what someone like Salah has.
I mean the link is obvious horseshit, I'm just entertaining it as a hypothetical.

I think if he went there, he'd destroy wages, create disharmony in the squad, unbalance the side, bring a huge circus and overall be a massive detrimental effect to their team.

On the flip-side, I don't think him leaving would cause United any significant hardship.

So, I would definitely be willing that transfer to happen, personally. It won't though, because it's horseshite.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not to mention the litany of non-athletes in this thread who seem to think players will just not bother competing at the highest level just because they might be at a new club in a year. Shows who’s actually accomplished something in sport and who hasn’t.

AttackAttackAttack

We are more likely to win something this coming season with him than without period
I agree with that 100%. I can understand the posters arguing getting 40-50mm for him now is worth more than keeping him next season but we haven’t won a major trophy in a very long time. We need to get back to our winning ways and I believe Pogba gives us a better chance of doing so. That’s why I would keep him around for one more year rather than sell him for 40-50mm this summer.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Except he isn't weak off the ball. There's an absolute litany of examples that demonstrate it. When a player plays in a midfield two and has games where he wins the ball back more than Kante, he's doing something right. And your reductive argument that it was in some way the midfields fault France failed doesn't float. Pogba, in that deeper role, not only was winning the ball back regularly, but also creating a hat full of chances for misfiring attack.
If you truly think so, then there is no middle ground we can meet. Let's agree to disagree then.

I wouldn't suggest France lost because of midfield, but it surely wasn't functioning right.
Pogba to me seems like an attacking midfielder forced to play deep, which is unnatural to him and a waste of his talent (at least in United environment).