Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not really. Whether a player can increase his wage or not isn't based on what a teammate earn, it depends on how much he can earn with an other club or how replaceable he is for his club. Otherwise all players within a club would earn roughly the same amount which is far from true.

Now is a player going to try his luck and ask for as much as possible? Absolutely.
I disagree. It's part of the reason we end up with a lot of players we can't shift because of wages they can't get anywhere else.

M Bison

Supports
York City
€600k a week is an obscene amount of money for him, good luck to him if that's what he decides to do. His performance on Saturday was class, lets hope we see a few more of those before he leaves.

Another big summer of recruitment at the end of next season, although i would expect Amad, Hannibal and possibly Elanga to be closer to the first team by that point...

redshaw

Wonder if PSG fancy getting him now after that shop window performance what with the removal of the Pogba advertising at United if true. Get Pogba and Mbappe to link up and try to get him to resign.

bosskeano

he turns 29 in march so we would have to be fcking out of our mind to pay him that type of salary for the next 3-4 years with an option which is probably the length of a contract they'll want. It would be another albatross of a contract looming large over the squad that we could never move him. It's just not worth it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yeah, if money is the most important factor and he can get £600k a week and a £30 million signing bonus, good luck to him. No way I would personally sanction that kind of spending on one player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I disagree. It's part of the reason we end up with a lot of players we can't shift because of wages they can't get anywhere else.
But that has nothing to do with higher wages in the team. It's because when you sign a player to be a starter for a CL team, you offer him a starter wage for a CL team but if that signing doesn't work, you have a player that is overpaid. You are not going to use that player's wage as a benchmark for other squad/fringe players because when you gave him his contract he wasn't in that category. And the reason you struggle to shift him is because he is overpaid and no other team is willing to pay your mistake.

For example, Jones isn't going to get a raise because there is no market for him at a higher or even similar wage.

rotherham_red

€600k a week is an obscene amount of money for him, good luck to him if that's what he decides to do. His performance on Saturday was class, lets hope we see a few more of those before he leaves.

Another big summer of recruitment at the end of next season, although i would expect Amad, Hannibal and possibly Elanga to be closer to the first team by that point...
Think the 2 big signings model we had last year should be replicated next year too. A striker and a DM. My choice would be Haaland and Rice. Though I understand the latter isn't exactly Mr popular on many online platforms.

Pogba, if he leaves, will be replaced by Rashford on the left and Sancho as the wide creator, albeit on the right. Plus Donny who will no doubt be a factor in this discussion also.

EDIT - Though I'm not believing that PSG story. Not right now at least. If it is corroborated by a better journalist than Miguel Delaney, then I'll revise my view of it.

LoneStar

If they are offering 600K a week for him plus a singing bonus, then no way is he staying here.

I think it's best for both parties involved, we shouldn't be offering anything close to that for any player in the world (except maybe prime Messi or Ronaldo). It sucks that he's going to leave on a free, but it seems like this is the way big transfers will happen going forward (Messi, Ramos, Donnaruma, potentially Mbappe).

Think Kane will be the last star player signing a 6 year contract. No one will sign more than a 3 (or 4 max) year contract.

JPRouve

Scout
Yep, I'd be happy with that.

Enjoy playing in French league where nobody watches or care about.

Or boring La Liga.
Reading that you would think that France is empty. :lol:

Wheato

Listen, this 600k per week story is pure spin by his Agent.

It's only been put out there to force United into putting more money down for him to sign his contract.
PSG fans don't want Pogba. We have seen the banner.
Pogba has said that PSG was his least favourable option if he were to move. And they have bought Messi. So he doesn't want to play second fiddle to him.

Barca, Real Madrid and Juventus are broke. Brentford FC have just outspent all 3 of them in the transfer market this summer.

Pogba and his team know that United are the best show in town, they are just trying to squeeze more out of the club, which is what agents do, especially a crook like Raiola.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
To be fair £600k a week is £31m / $43m a year. That's a contract multiple NBA stars have been given and mostly in line with earnings of top performers in American sports, in a sport far more popular than NBA/NFL/NHL across the globe. It's a lot of money but not that outrageous.

SATA

I doubt a player of his quality will want to go back to France and play for PSG when he's at his peak now and i think he knows that. The money apparently offered is good yes but i think if a offer from Madrid comes in next summer, he'll go there instead regardless of how much PSG wants to pay him. Otherwise he'll stay at United and signs the contract

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
His next contract is likely to be a four to five year deal, as his final big contract. Pogba was fantastic against Leeds, but individually brilliant games was never his issue; it was consistency and where he fit into our plan. When all our forwards are back, he’s in midfield and then the age old question of can you play him in a three with Bruno re-emerge.

He’s 100% a player I would keep, but not at any cost. He is definitely replaceable. Personally I would not want to give a 29 year old Pogba a 4-5 year contract on 500-600k a week, which is probably what it would take. You’re paying him that until he is 33-34. Aside from destroying your age structure, we have no idea how well he is going to age.

It will be a blow to lose him, but I don’t think people are prepared for the problems that will come if we give him a massive 4-5 year deal. If the move is about money, he is surely gone. If it’s about enjoying his football and being part of something exciting, then I’d say we have a decent chance in keeping him.

One thing that must always define United is that no player is bigger than the club, and we conduct ourselves with decorum. If it wasn’t for Covid then I am sure he would have been moved on already for a few. We should be pretty ruthless with players who won’t sign an extension when they have two years left on their contract, and sell them. No matter how good. It’s the only way to set a standard and fireproof us against the inevitable tide of players running down contracts that is to come.

KW2006

Some of his passes are better than Zidane, but he is also much more difficult to "use" than Zidane, especially in today's football.

Sometimes I would imagine, if we have got a Zidane at his peak in our team now, where would he play? Replace Bruno? On the left wing? Alongside Fred/McT?

NZT-One

Yeah I agree on the whole, except I do think he can play in the pivot albeit alongside the right defensive partner.

Especially now we have Varane in defence with Maguire. We should now push up as a unit which will help in general, alongside the fact Pogba won’t be babysitting Lindelof.

IMO there is a strong argument to be made that this would work against 90% of opposition.

Then there’s the argument that he provides a lot more from the left than Rashford does - I don’t necessarily subscribe to that as I value Rashford inclusion.

In summary I’d argue his talent and match winning capabilities should dictate he finds a place in the starting 11.

Particularly becuase he will be extremely difficult and costly to replace and we are in need of a top level DM regardless of whether Pogba stays or goes (a top DM that I’d use to partner him in the pivot against said 90% of teams.)
Interesting points

About Pogba in double-pivot alright against 90% of teams:
of course that makes sense but we have to consider teams adjusting to our system. Remember the Mourinho (and to a degree even LVG) days: teams weren't afraid to have a go at us because they knew, we are not good at making quick turnovers. Something like that could happen again to push Pogba to his own goal. And then we could see the same stuff we hated back then, him being further away from opposition goal, dawdling on the ball, yadda yadda. So yeah, of course - keeping him will give us this option. Which certainly is a good thing. But a sure-thing for 90% of the league, don't think so. At least not for longer than a while.

Him and Rashford on the left:
I dont think, Pogba provides more on the left. It is just different. It is great to have such strong options to keep opponents guessing how you will set up, deep and waiting for counters with pace from Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho fed by Bruno or dominant with Pogba drifting infield creating a second playmaker. If both are in great form, leave Greenwood out or Sancho. Thats what competition for places looks like.

How to replace:
granted, I think it is next to impossible to find another player who combines the physical attributes and the footballing capabilities on such a high level. But we don't have to go for a like for like replacement. We have to identify what service we need, what roles need to be manned. And then you could go for example for Jorginho-type player if you want a DLP or you go for a more N'dombele style player when you want a ball carrier. I think, using that approach is way more productive than just looking for players with the same skill set.

Because of Pogba's age a new contract will be dangerous for the club: he's now at his max earning potential but it's likely he'll be playing below his current level for the second half of a 4 or 5yr contract.

The safest thing to do for the club is to offer him a slightly more generous 3+1yr contract, but he'll want longer than that.
Good post. Agree with that.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is leaving, right ?

Hope we uses the next one year to identify a proper midfielder to replace him. Mbappe is leaving PSG and they would need a star man to replace him.

Tallis

Doesn't take an unreliable article to know that he'd get mega money next summer on a free transfer. Can't really blame him for taking it.

The club shouldn't have let it get to this stage but we've also been unlucky with timing of cash problems at other clubs.
To be fair to the club, I am not sure if they could have done anything to resolve his situation earlier. I think we have been sellers for a couple of season now but haven’t got a transactable bid. And he is not going to renew for anything like what we would offer him because he can see the big money at PSG and Real.

SirScholes

And then eat out of our transfer budget next season?
We’d be spending money either way, better to wait and get the right man in.
Who knows, maybe he signs a new deal, but losing a world class player like pogba at the start of a new campaign with no obvious replacement is suicide for Ole

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is going to Real on free next year. It is clear for me. Real was his desire from the start. And without trqnsfer fee, Real will have clear path.

theklr

He is going to Real on free next year. It is clear for me. Real was his desire from the start. And without trqnsfer fee, Real will have clear path.
Also think that is the most likely scenario.

Though if we pay him whatever it is he wants he would probably stay, but I dont think we’ll do that and rightly so.

JPRouve

Scout
I would say Juventus. I don't really know why people think that he desires Real, maybe he does but outside of the made up Zidane link, I don't see why people are so convinced.

worldinmotion66

So much depends on this season. How we perform. How he himself performs. If he's enjoying his football and is an asset to the side, I think an agreement can be reached.

I think he genuinely has a lot of love for the club and many of his teammates here. But if it's not going to lead to winning trophies, then it makes no sense for either party for him to stay. I think he'd love nothing more than to lead us back to the top.

Teja

I would say Juventus. I don't really know why people think that he desires Real, maybe he does but outside of the made up Zidane link, I don't see why people are so convinced.
Can Juve really pay him the wages he'd want? In terms of competitiveness, Juve are kinda screwed with the Ronaldo contract anyway, so they're in for a major rebuild as well. Maybe they'll win the Italian league because Inter had to sell Lukaku and Hakimi but that'll probably be that for the next few years.

Might as well take the (larger) United contract and stick around instead of going to Juve and being a part of yet another rebuild.

Real (esp) if they get Mbappe will be competitive again and he'd be drop-in replacement for Modric, so that seems more probable.

JPRouve

Scout
Can Juve really pay him the wages he'd want? In terms of competitiveness, Juve are kinda screwed with the Ronaldo contract anyway, so they're in for a major rebuild as well. Maybe they'll win the Italian league because Inter had to sell Lukaku and Hakimi but that'll probably be that for the next few years.

Might as well take the (larger) United contract and stick around instead of going to Juve and being a part of yet another rebuild.

Real (esp) if they get Mbappe will be competitive again and he'd be drop-in replacement for Modric, so that seems more probable.
Ronaldo's contract ends next summer, they could replace it with a less expensive Pogba contract that is still way above what United would pay. And the reason I wouldn't ignore Juventus is because Pogba has only ever talked about two clubs without being asked, it's Juventus and United, the rest is always a journalist trying to create a headline and the Real link has always been built around Zidane being their manager.

RetroStu

I dont get poeple going on about not giving him a big contract because of his age. Even at the end of a new 5 year contract, he would only be 33. Zidane had arguably his best year at 33 for Madrid, and Cavani worked harder and ran more than a lot of our players last year at 33.
There will be loads of players in this day and age who are playing well in their mid 30's.
Its not the beer swilling 60's anymore.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His next contract is likely to be a four to five year deal, as his final big contract. Pogba was fantastic against Leeds, but individually brilliant games was never his issue; it was consistency and where he fit into our plan. When all our forwards are back, he’s in midfield and then the age old question of can you play him in a three with Bruno re-emerge.

He’s 100% a player I would keep, but not at any cost. He is definitely replaceable. Personally I would not want to give a 29 year old Pogba a 4-5 year contract on 500-600k a week, which is probably what it would take. You’re paying him that until he is 33-34. Aside from destroying your age structure, we have no idea how well he is going to age.

It will be a blow to lose him, but I don’t think people are prepared for the problems that will come if we give him a massive 4-5 year deal. If the move is about money, he is surely gone. If it’s about enjoying his football and being part of something exciting, then I’d say we have a decent chance in keeping him.

One thing that must always define United is that no player is bigger than the club, and we conduct ourselves with decorum. If it wasn’t for Covid then I am sure he would have been moved on already for a few. We should be pretty ruthless with players who won’t sign an extension when they have two years left on their contract, and sell them. No matter how good. It’s the only way to set a standard and fireproof us against the inevitable tide of players running down contracts that is to come.
This. He's given us his peak years, with not much to show. It's partly caused by him, but mostly by us as a team.
He'll get "excitement" and "challenge" also if moving to Madrid or PSG, as both have their own big plans. Madrid with the re-building, and PSG on chasing CL. And those two teams are in the League, where skill (which he has in abundance) trumps physical, so he can prolong his career also.

So i don't buy that moving to those team, instead of staying with us, mean money is his main motivation.

laughtersassassin

A reliable reporter. Very interesting.

Much more so that the guy who reported he rejected that contract which was clearly nonsense since no one else backed it up.

Thread title update surely? Pogba showing willingness to sign new deal.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

Draw a line under this, United should plan for a future without Pogba and get the replacements in place for next summer.

The team looks fantastic this season so there is nothing to get upset about.

dinostar77

€600,000 a week is a ridiculous wage. Hard for any player to turn down especially as it would be the last big contract of his career. If PSG do indeed offer him that amount as The Independent suggests for signing as a free transfer then good luck to him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Players get base salary+ bonus+ image rights as part of salary. So if he gets similar base salary and bonus structure as Bruno, his salary will still be higher than him by decent amount due to his image rights payment.
So there is no point in comparing salaries of players as we don't know how it is structured

MadMike

€600k pw is nuts. I would neither blame him for leaving nor would I blame us for not putting up a fight to keep him. He's simply not worth that much to us.

We can't play him in the middle because Ole wants two workmanlike CMs/DMs there. On the left wing where he currently plays, we have Rashford when he returns, Sancho and even Martial.

I'd rather we give half that to Haaland next summer, we'll be a better team for it.

hobbers

We should be putting in a release clause to be honest, if that would help sell it to his pig of an agent.

hobbers

How would that help if PSG are doubling his salary though?
It's more about us getting a transfer fee for him.

If we give him a wage increase and, let's say, an £80-90m buyout clause that only applies to overseas clubs. That gives Pogba and Raiola more money in the short term, Pogba long term security in case he gets injured this season, and guarantees us a transfer fee instead of losing him for nothing if he's really dead set on leaving.

It's actually the only smart option left to the club now.