Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

theklr

My suspicion is that he wont resign until after the transfer window closes.

SoCross

if he stays, has a great season and helps us win a trophy then pisses off to PSG or Madrid....peace out

at least then we aren't tied to another ridiculous contract like we have with Phil Jones
I'd be ok with him leaving on a free next season too to be honest. Losing him weakens the squad right now. Go out on a high Paul, win us big ears!

justsomebloke

Doesnt it seem like Ole finally has solved the puzzle where and how to play him though, as a roaming midfielder with full freedom?

I agree the Leeds game shouldnt be seen as a benchmark since they seem to be our perfect match and not using compact defence, but still - I think Pogba absolutely will thrive with no positional requirements, not to mention that Sancho and Varane very likely will make him better as well.

Also agree that any ludicrous demands shouldnt be accepted, but paying him at the very top end of our wage structure is justifiable I think . Which is what we are rumoured to have offerede him anyway.
We already have a roaming midfielder with lots of freedom - Bruno Fernandes. I don't think we can field two.

MadMike

We already have a roaming midfielder with lots of freedom - Bruno Fernandes. I don't think we can field two.
I mean, yes we can. It literally just happened at the weekend and in many matches last season when Pogba played.

Whether he's such an improvement on Rashford, Sancho, Martial that it's worth spending another €600k pw on top, is very debateable. He had 3 assists in all of last season, playing the majority of his games with the same instructions as he did at the weekend (wide playmaker, starting from left but with freedom to move).

Infra-red

We can't and won't give him £600k per week. He's not worth it and we can't afford to do it. We don't necessarily have to match PSG's offer though - after all, they have to pay a bit extra to persuade him to head off to a second tier league to play for a club with no real European pedigree.

lost7

We can't and won't give him £600k per week. He's not worth it and we can't afford to do it. We don't necessarily have to match PSG's offer though - after all, they have to pay a bit extra to persuade him to head off to a second tier league to play for a club with no real European pedigree.
It's £510k, but even that is an absurd number to be honest. Anything more than £400k including bonuses should not be offered

justsomebloke

I mean, yes we can. It literally just happened at the weekend and in many matches last season when Pogba played.

Whether he's such an improvement on Rashford, Sancho, Martial that it's worth spending another €600k pw on top, is very debateable. He had 3 assists in all of last season, playing the majority of his games with the same instructions as he did at the weekend (wide playmaker, starting from left but with freedom to move).
Okay then, free role off the left. I guess I was thinking too narrowly in terms of central midfield.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He is leaving, right ?

Hope we uses the next one year to identify a proper midfielder to replace him. Mbappe is leaving PSG and they would need a star man to replace him.
I think they just signed some little argentine fella, he might turn out to be quite popular, so maybe they dont need Pogba for that reason?
He'll renew at about £400K a week. I would put money on it.
That sounds abut right for both sides, if he is genuinely happy here, and as reported his family like it, the team is starting to take shape and looks capable of challenging, he gets a significant increase, we dont bend over and take it hard from his agent for a stupid messi-esque salary and signing bonus, its win-win,

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I really do not think we are far off from mounting a serious title challenge.

If we can keep Pogba then we will be in great shape for the next few seasons I think.

There have been times where I have thought 'enough is enough', he needs to go. However, a blind man can see that he is a unique talent who in the right setup (cliché I know) can thrive.

I really don't care what it takes to keep him, just hope that we do.

RUCK4444

If we can keep Pogba then we will be in great shape for the next few seasons I think.

There have been times where I have thought 'enough is enough', he needs to go. However, a blind man can see that he is a unique talent who in the right setup (cliché I know) can thrive.

I’ve been preaching this for years. Glad you’ve converted :devil:

Jokes aside, he’s a unique talent, we simply won’t improve on him if we let him go. We just need to tweak the setup to ensure he gets in the side and that we have ample defensive cover to let him do his thing.

Any sensible United fan can see the huge benefit of having both him and Bruno in the starting 11.
It doubles our output and imagine being Greenwood or Sancho knowing you have two of Europe’s most prolific passers behind you.

Ive said adamantly from the start, we have to keep him and make it work. That’s Ole’s job and I have confidence in him and the player.

Infra-red

If we're keeping him then we really need to buy the best defensive midfielder in the world to make it all work (assuming he predominately plays in a three with Bruno).

I don't know who that is. Ndidi's defensive numbers are pretty much unparalleled, but he'd cost an absolute fortune. Aurélien Tchouaméni is probably statistically the closest to Ndidi, with the added benefit being the fact that he's only 21 years old. He could be the one we need.

bosskeano

fck me i'm about sick of always the main topic surrounding united is Paul Pogba

RedDevil@84

Maybe we should have a poll as to what constitutes an acceptable salary for Pogba for a new contract.

I don't see the point of giving him anything more than 350k and would prefer a 3+1 contract, rather than a 4+1. But he won't agree anyways.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Maybe we should have a poll as to what constitutes an acceptable salary for Pogba for a new contract.

I don't see the point of giving him anything more than 350k and would prefer a 3+1 contract, rather than a 4+1. But he won't agree anyways.
To replace Pogba you are going to have to spend £50-£60 million and then pay them £300k + a week.

Giving Pogba £400k a week is a far cheaper option, even if his greedy bastard agent gets £20 million commission.

Teja

To replace Pogba you are going to have to spend £50-£60 million and then pay them £300k + a week.

Giving Pogba £400k a week is a far cheaper option, even if his greedy bastard agent gets £20 million commission.
Doesn't that just incentivize players to run down their contracts and demand huge fees? What if Rashford / Greenwood decide not to extend until their final year and demand 400k+ each?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I honestly wish we could just agree on a buy out clause in a new contract which benefits both Pogba and United - say maybe 40-45 million.

He is able to stay and if he is unhappy with his progress here then he can easily by targeted by some other teams.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Losing him will suck because we know his best years are probably just starting. And you have to keep in mind that Paul is likely to age very well considering the kind of footballing brain he is working with. He is always going to be strong and doesn't really on quickness and speed as such.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Which is fair enough cause at the end of the day Salaries are a byproduct of how much you can get elsewhere.
And many more things. If you can get a new player in his place for half of that salary, you can spend 50+m on him and after 5 years both scenarios will even out.
From business point of view it makes more sense to split the payment for 5 years, but you also need to consider Pogba will be 34 at the end of his contract.

Other aspect is other players will be tempted to try the same strategy (running down the contract). It's within their rights, but it makes planning difficult and will break wage structure in the club very soon.

All things considered we have to be very careful if we want to go that path. It shouldn't be ONLY about Pogba.

laughtersassassin

And many more things. If you can get a new player in his place for half of that salary, you can spend 50+m on him and after 5 years both scenarios will even out.
From business point of view it makes more sense to split the payment for 5 years, but you also need to consider Pogba will be 34 at the end of his contract.

Other aspect is other players will be tempted to try the same strategy (running down the contract). It's within their rights, but it makes planning difficult and will break wage structure in the club very soon.

All things considered we have to be very careful if we want to go that path. It shouldn't be ONLY about Pogba.
Ole wants to keep Pogba and that's all that really matters

Crashoutcassius

In a funny way, if we keep pogba the need for a centre mid goes up. We have players that can play in a two, but none that can partner pogba effectively regularly

laughtersassassin

Not at all cost I believe (if that means giving him astronomical wages), and to bo honest I doubt manager alone makes those decisions.
There is nothing yet to say Pogba is asking for a ridiculous amount.

The only report of a rejected contract was clearly wrong as no one else ever reported it and it was by a unreliable journalist.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There is nothing yet to say Pogba is asking for a ridiculous amount.

The only report of a rejected contract was clearly wrong as no one else ever reported it and it was by a unreliable journalist.
It's not about asking for ridiculous wages, but about who offers him more (like you mentioned in original post I referred to). I'd imagine we won't match PSG in that regard.

I don't know if he has rejected an offer or not (how often does that happen anyway?), but why do you think this is not done yet?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Doesn't that just incentivize players to run down their contracts and demand huge fees? What if Rashford / Greenwood decide not to extend until their final year and demand 400k+ each?
Wenger predicted this whole marketplace a long time ago, and it seems to be coming to fruition as a whole, accelerated because of the pandemic. I don’t think it’s a case of incentivising, rather, it’s an inevitability if players renewal demands aren’t met during the negotiating phase.