Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Beans

Supports
Neutral
He rejected City and is Juventus a step down from United? They had a poor season as they're going through a transition but I think they will be back at the top of Serie A again soon.

I get the frustration with Pogba but we don't need to sit here and pretend like he isn't a great talent that top clubs wouldn't take just to make us feel better. His United career is what it is.
I don't believe he rejected City to play in the wilderness, this is a guy who had Railoa as an agent. Unless it was a tiny contact and they wanted him to start from the bench.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Nope. Reliable sources confirmed he was approached by City and Guardiola held personal talks with him but he turned it down due to fears over the backlash. And PSG offered him more money than what he is supposedly said to have accepted from Juve. Do people think they can just come on this site and lie without getting caught up on it?
He's a very strange fellow if he turned down City and PSG to play for Juve, in Italy where nothing he does will matter outside the CL. I personally find that not credible, but maybe I'm wrong.

Going to PSG shows enough lack of initiate, 95% of top players want to play in England, Spain or Germany. But going to Juve is even worse.

Dominant

some really embarrassing Pogba fans in this thread… the extent some will go to defend him. Wow.

pacifictheme

It's hilarious that anyone would believe City were interested.
I would agree. Not a city player at all. Can see why he would go back to juve, had a great spell there, is liked by the fans and its a nice place. He's 29 now right? Juve will be back at the top of serie a soon I expect. I get the impression with him he wants to be somewhere he is happy and comfortable as much as he wants to really excel and win stuff. Think he'll get both at juve.

Ted Lasso

United so poor at negotiations we can't even get an out of contract player signed on with another club. Shambles.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Nope. Reliable sources confirmed he was approached by City and Guardiola held personal talks with him but he turned it down due to fears over the backlash. And PSG offered him more money than what he is supposedly said to have accepted from Juve. Do people think they can just come on this site and lie without getting caught up on it?
If you really think Pep wanted a player who couldn't last more than 50 minutes for majority of last season then you need to have a word with yourself.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
From The Athletic:

Paul Pogba has said he wants to show Manchester United they made a mistake by failing to extend his contract beyond this summer.

Pogba, speaking in his new Amazon Prime documentary named The Pogmentary (:lol:), said: “My thought process is to show Manchester (United) that they made a mistake in waiting to give me a contract.

“And to show other clubs that Manchester had made a mistake in not offering me a contract.”

United made Pogba at least two offers worth more than the existing £290,000-a-week deal that had already made him one of the best-paid players in the Premier League.

But Pogba responded to his late agent Mino Raiola’s revelation of their second offer last July by saying the club had offered him “nothing”.

“How can you tell a player you absolutely want him and offer him nothing?” Pogba says. “Never seen that.”
Honestly just everything that comes out of this guy's mouth must be so infuriating for United fans.

Genuinely think all things considered he must be one of the worst PL signings I've ever seen. Record fee for a guy that had about 1½ good seasons, completely poisoned the club, his huge wages pushed the club into other bad deals like Sanchez and De Gea's extension, and the optics of him leaving AGAIN for free.

As a neutral even I'm happy he's gone to be honest, and I can't believe there were some sections of supporters who wanted to keep him (albeit a slim amount).

didz

From The Athletic:

Honestly just everything that comes out of this guy's mouth must be so infuriating for United fans.

Genuinely think all things considered he must be one of the worst PL signings I've ever seen. Record fee for a guy that had about 1½ good seasons, completely poisoned the club, his huge wages pushed the club into other bad deals like Sanchez and De Gea's extension, and the optics of him leaving AGAIN for free.

As a neutral even I'm happy he's gone to be honest, and I can't believe there were some sections of supporters who wanted to keep him (albeit a slim amount).
The more I think about it, the more sense this 'Pogmentary' makes for him.

He's started 50 games in 3 seasons, out of 114 possible. Those 50 games have been anywhere between 1/10s and 7/10s, possibly an 8 or two in there?

He can't command anywhere near his ridiculous wage demands as a footballer, so he's just sticking to something he's actually good at: self-indulgent delusion for profit.

The Original

From The Athletic:

Pogba's 290k (just 40 more than Martial's 250) was why united gave Sanchez 400k and De gea 350?

Nothing to do with De Gea being a standout performer since 2013, or the club being so desperate to win Sanchez over from city? Never mind the fact that De Gea was already a top earner even before Pogba came.

Impressive thought process.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

If he goes to Juve it means 2 things -

1) The top clubs - Real, PSG, Man City etc dont want him. I dont buy it for a second that he would turn them down for Juve to have a nice comfy life or something
2) Juve and Pogba fkd Man Utd more than a club/player combination ever has. Juve got him free as a kid, sold for 90 and now get back on a free! Wow. Thanks for that Juve. The worst part of it was selling us a dud for 90 though.

Castia

Imagine being a free transfer and having to take a pay cut to get a club….sums his time up here he’s been shite.

mctrials23

From The Athletic:

Honestly I gave up caring about him a long time ago. The fact that he has come out with this shit tells you everything you need to know about his mentality. He was on an insane salary, only played about half our games and only played well in about 15% of them. Perhaps that motivation he speaks of should have gone into his performances for us rather than showing us how wrong we were for not making a massive mistake keeping him.

Raw

"My thought process is to show Manchester that they made a mistake in waiting to give me a contract … and to show other clubs that Manchester had made a mistake in not offering me a contract.”

In the end we proved the opposite, it was a mistake to even offer him a contract.

pascell

From The Athletic:

The guy has been a horrendous signing by all accounts, I'm glad he's gone and we can move forward now.

Your second point, I'm still not 100% convinced we've learnt from doing such deals but time will only tell. These players don't deserve such extravagant wages as the performances don't reflect value for money. We've bent over backwards to keep players at the club by throwing money at them, without any inkling or thought towards having a pay structure. This is where its spiralled out of control and we're left with other underperforming players like Rashford and Martial on £200k+ a week.

Only the bolded part, you'll see the same coming out of the woodwork regarding Martial, if they haven't already.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
fecking cnut the lad, I dislike everything he represents not racially but sport wise, he's the main reason the club never progressed over the years, thank fecks he's out of our club. fecking Virus!!

Lappen

"My thought process is to show Manchester that they made a mistake in waiting to give me a contract … and to show other clubs that Manchester had made a mistake in not offering me a contract.”

In the end we proved the opposite, it was a mistake to even offer him a contract.
You are right! But its easy to be smart after...
Its a pitty he didnt try harder to show the club, end everyone else, what a stupid contractoffer it was while playing for the club making the offer he called a nothingoffer.

Irrational.

And to think there were some on here that staunchly defended the guy. He’s been a self-absorbed pleb ever since he left the first time.

Dan_F

Christ. Who thought this would be good PR for his documentary.

Canagel

He's a very strange fellow if he turned down City and PSG to play for Juve, in Italy where nothing he does will matter outside the CL. I personally find that not credible, but maybe I'm wrong.

Going to PSG shows enough lack of initiate, 95% of top players want to play in England, Spain or Germany. But going to Juve is even worse.
Not really. Players value different things when moving. Some prefer the money, some prefer a good location, some prefer a good system and manager, some prefer statpadding trophies and so on. We don't know what players are thinking when moving and he talked about being depressed here at lots of points so I'm not surprised he prioritized his own mental wellbeing with this move.

And City and PSG are not any more proven in Europe than Juve are, even if they are better teams now. It's a club that knows how to win and doesn't take long to rebuild and construct winning teams.

At PSG he would just be another one of the stars but Juve sold him a project to become the face of the club. Plus the manager already knows how to use him and he is still appreciated by the fans, it's a no brainer.
Being the franchise player of Juventus > statpadding in France with farmer league accusations having over him.

And regarding City I have no doubt he was tempted by Guardiola but staying in Manchester and England wasn't worth it. Wasn't his house burgled just a few months ago? On the base of safety reasons and also the backlash he would relieve from our fanbase it made no sense. He was earning lots of money here but was still depressed, earning more money wouldn't have changed anything and I think he realized it. It doesn't mean anything about him not being able to play for a top team.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Nobody in their right mind would defend Pogba.

He is despicable.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
From The Athletic:

These quotes are impressive:lol:

Even if it's annoying that he's leaving on a free, I'm convinced it'll be good for you and Erik ten Hag that he's gone.

Mainoldo

Erm are we all going of a clickbait English news article or has anyone actually seen the documentary?

HookedOnAPhelan

Depressing that we offered him a raise after the shitshow he's put on both on and off the pitch these last few years. Thank feck he did us a favor.

saivet

Erm are we all going of a clickbait English news article or has anyone actually seen the documentary?
The documentary isn't even out yet. Oliver Kay has seen it and wrote an article in The Athletic about it which quite obviously is more balanced than the Sports Bible piece.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He cant stay fit for an entire season. Its actually better that he left. Not a bad player but someone we cant rely upon. He has been injured for months for last 3 season in a row