Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Xanther

I've lost all my sympathy for him now. I maintained that an incompetent set-up prevented him from reaching GOAT-level midfield status - I don't care anymore. It's like he did me a favour, saves me from regret on his behalf

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s got nothing but abuse on here
To be fair he hasn’t done much the last few years to make people back him, poor performances, lots of injuries, many public statements away from the club, running down his contract for the past 2 years letting the club believe he may take another contract

it works both ways

Ibi Dreams

He should be able to see why we waited before offering him a contract, if he's honest with himself about how the last few years have gone.

I don't think we've made a mistake in letting him go.

TsuWave

If money wasn’t his primary motivation why did he get butthurt about our offer?

As for the second part how long have you got?
Things don’t happen in a vacuum. The Athletic reported Pogba and Ole had a great relationship - with him wanting to renew and Ole wanting him to renew - Ole appealed at the hierarchy to get it done - it wasn’t. He didn’t feel valued. When United did try - he was no longer interested (for more factors than just money).

To be honest, I think I’m good on exchanging more posts with angry people, that don’t even know what exactly is they’re angry about.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
It never felt that Pogba was truly committed to the club. There was always an underlying sense that he preferred to be elsewhere. This was evident in interviews over the years where he’d rarely if ever dismiss a transfer rumour concerning him. It felt like United owed him something rather than vice versa. So naturally fans have developed a strong albeit irrational resentment against him

Stringer

Can we just be objective, without attaching things to people, for a second

Again, Pogba, like any professional, can be dismissive of an offer if they don’t deem it a good one/fair/whatever.

I asked what exactly has Pogba done wrong here - and all I’m hearing is people furious because their lives suck, which is OK, and understandable, so long as we’re being honest and know he hasn’t done anything inherently wrong here.
What exactly wasn't objective about my post? I tried to explain why his behaviour in this scenario has annoyed some people.

And give over with your nonsense about people only being upset with him because their lives suck. I don't even care that much about the whole thing nor Pogba himself but you appear to be deeply invested in defending him from any criticism.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think we'll start seeing the effect of not having Pogba and Lingard in the squad. And for the better.

TsuWave

What exactly wasn't objective about my post? I tried to explain why his behaviour in this scenario has annoyed some people.

And give over with your nonsense about people only being upset with him because their lives suck. I don't even care that much about the whole thing nor Pogba himself but you appear to be deeply invested in defending him from any criticism.
I asked what he did wrong - you replied with “why his behaviour annoyed people”. You said it was baffling I didn’t understand why people were annoyed. Do you still think you were objective?

It’s not nonsense, the replies I got where about petrol prices :lol: your own reply included something about large sums of money. People are mad because he was dismissive of an offer. It’s his right to, as is United’s right to only offer what they deem him worth of. I’m not invested in defending him from any criticism, I’m invested in highlighting he hasn’t done anything wrong here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can someone clarify if we did offer him a 300K contract or we didn't? What is this nothing rubbish?

Red_Aaron

I've no doubt we offered something we felt reflected his value in the squad and i've no doubt he and his agent felt he was worth more
Both parties are entitled to their opinion

I'm glad he's gone because ultimately its not worked out purely from a playing pov and that's all that matters

Hopefully he's happy elsewhere and we don't have to listen to the endless discussions surrounding him any longer

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Started from there. I will never watch the documentary though, would rather spend the money on fish and chips.
I couldn't be bothered watching a football documentary let alone one about a player like Pogba who we have long moved on from giving genuine importance

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Dumb thing to say but we never sign him if SAF is still boss. Likewise, I don't think SAF would of been on board with the signing in 2016.

Stringer

I asked what he did wrong - you replied with “why his behaviour annoyed people”. You said it was baffling I didn’t understand why people were annoyed. Do you still think you were objective?

It’s not nonsense, the replies I got where about petrol prices :lol: your own reply included something about large sums of money. People are mad because he was dismissive of an offer. It’s his right to, as is United’s right to only offer what they deem him worth of. I’m not invested in defending him from any criticism, I’m invested in highlighting he hasn’t done anything wrong here.
Are you actually that dense that you don't understand why some people would be annoyed by a footballer describing a wage of £300k per week as "nothing"? Even if you don't personally feel the same way, the concept is just totally alien to you?

I'm not criticizing him for rejecting the offer as he is free to do what he wishes and has obviously thought about how much he is worth. However, a 300k per week wage offer is substantial and to be dismissed like that indicates a real degree of entitlement.

Last edited:

maximus419

I think we'll start seeing the effect of not having Pogba and Lingard in the squad. And for the better.
100%. Getting rid of a toxic entitled player and his dance partner and the sort of atmosphere that brings to the dressing room, is a big part of why standards and professionalism have nosedived, over the past 5 years or so.

No wonder ETH circulated an email about how he doesn't want any egos in the squad, every player has to be professional at all times, in training, overall conduct, on the pitch. Those are the key disciplines required for any manager to bring out the best in the players. I just hope the rot hasn't set in further in the group and other players don't cause similar issues.

Lee565

What a deluded circus act and for him to say he is motivated to show what united are missing out on by offering a "nothing" contract offer, maybe he should have had that motivation consistently he was actually at the club

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think whoever changed the thread title has probably not taken into consideration that wages in Italy are reported as net.

Oldyella

It never felt that Pogba was truly committed to the club. There was always an underlying sense that he preferred to be elsewhere. This was evident in interviews over the years where he’d rarely if ever dismiss a transfer rumour concerning him. It felt like United owed him something rather than vice versa. So naturally fans have developed a strong albeit irrational resentment against him
I dunno. He certainly was when he came back, felt like unfinished business etc. But as the club has become more and more of a mess, he looked less and less interested.

Glad he's gone though, no hard feelings but he was never fit and was getting worse. We dodged a bullet with him wanting to move on and not signing the contract we offered.

BlueHaze

True colors finally showing. Jose right all along. The guy is absolute scum human being.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What happened after he refused to sign on 300k/w? We've withdrawn the offer and he was left with nothing?

If that's true and he signed with Juve for half of that, surely he's the one who looks like a fool now? Especially that's it's been clearly about the money. Not sure I have the whole picture though.

Zetrio2002

It's the same for Sergio Romero. Refused to sign contract and instead sign for an Italian club at low wages only to get relegated.

Red Royal

Time to move on and I for one cannot be bothered about the rest of his career.

It is time for the next #6 to make his mark at United. Can't wait to see who that is.

SAFMUTD

Haha honestly he can feck off, really classless to talk shit about your past team when you where amongst the best paid players en on the league and where injured for most part of the last two seasons.

He's really stupid, he could just have said the usual stuff smiled and said he had a great time and we'll always be in his heart of whatever, but he just burned bridges. Let's see is he's as good as he pretends to be, there's a reason why no top teams have shown interest in him. If this was Pogba of 5-6 years ago, he would have had offers from any top team. Now he'll have to settle for Juve with an inferior wage.

Anyway, good riddance and hopefully we won't see him again.

didz

For those saying he's taking a massive wage cut to go to Juventus, those figures are being reported as net salary, not gross. He's not taking a paycut at all.

Mercurial Beckham

Be
I've no doubt we offered something we felt reflected his value in the squad and i've no doubt he and his agent felt he was worth more
Both parties are entitled to their opinion

I'm glad he's gone because ultimately its not worked out purely from a playing pov and that's all that matters

Hopefully he's happy elsewhere and we don't have to listen to the endless discussions surrounding him any longer
Most logical response to the situation I’ve seen anywhere. Sums up my feelings exactly.