Paul Pogba's decision is made

Shiva87

Good stuff. Gald to see he chooses his advertising material well.

Ehm - what about all the Pepsi ads?

prateik

Isn't Pogba religious and doesnt drink alcohol?
The Ronaldo one was because coke was unhealthy..

This is much more direct.. you dont put alcohol in front of someone who finds it offensive.

edit : i realize its non alcoholic.. but everyone knows its promoting an alcoholic beverage.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Pogba loves Heineken

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
that’s bollocks. i seen him in revs on two for 1 alchopops nights, smashing blue wkds and doing the gangnam style dance to every song before heading down to pfc, getting the largest bucket of knock off fried chicken you’ve ever seen, before throwing it all up in a bin. the council still have no idea what’s causing the lumpy blue ooze that’s shitting up the mechanisms of their bin lorries.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The Ronaldo one was because coke was unhealthy..

This is much more direct.. you dont put alcohol in front of someone who finds it offensive.

edit : i realize its non alcoholic.. but everyone knows its promoting an alcoholic beverage.
I suspect that this is the motivation behind what he did.

I have a restaurant and the other day a (presumably Muslim) Deliveroo driver turned up to collect an order when he spotted a glass bottle. He asked if it was alcoholic, I said yes, and he said he doesn’t deliver alcohol and left.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Always makes me think he’s coming out of a portal. Like a budget version of that new film, tomorrow war but with Sourness’ sole goal being to keep racism and bigotry alive.
Bit ‘arsh that.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People on twitter saying it’s cause he doesn’t drink. I swear there was a video of Pogba pissed as a fart after we won the EL few years back.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He doesn't drink....! He's a devout Muslim I think.

WTF are they thinking putting all these bottles in front of players that they would never actually drink. People think CR is still playing at the level he does at 36 by drinking Coke?

Money even ruining the press conferences now...

DoomSlayer

He doesn't drink....! He's a devout Muslim I think.

WTF are they thinking putting all these bottles in front of players that they would never actually drink. People think CR is still playing at the level he does at 36 by drinking Coke?

Money even ruining the press conferences now...
Yes, money that has to be earned from somewhere to pay Ronaldo and Pogba 500 gazillion dollars per year. Or we can just plant some money trees, that will solve both the financial and environmental crisis.

bsCallout

Yes, money that has to be earned from somewhere to pay Ronaldo and Pogba 500 gazillion dollars per year. Or we can just plant some money trees, that will solve both the financial and environmental crisis.
You're coming out with some weird stuff.

Zoo

I guess it’s time for Souness to appear in an ad for Heineken

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Naingollan has also made his.

dablem_10

I suspect that this is the motivation behind what he did.

I have a restaurant and the other day a (presumably Muslim) Deliveroo driver turned up to collect an order when he spotted a glass bottle. He asked if it was alcoholic, I said yes, and he said he doesn’t deliver alcohol and left.
soo stupid and unprofessional. Putting his own believes before customer service which is his job... It was not bottle for him so i dont understand. So if i was alergic to gluten and my job would be delivering pizza and i would not deliver single pizza cos I have alergy would cost me job because im selfish

bsCallout

soo stupid and unprofessional. Putting his own believes before customer service which is his job... It was not bottle for him so i dont understand. So if i was alergic to gluten and my job would be delivering pizza and i would not deliver single pizza cos I have alergy would cost me job because im selfish
He's self employed. It's up to him what he delivers.

dablem_10

He's self employed. It's up to him what he delivers.
ok i didnt know that, yep he is free man then. But as a customer i would be pissed off if i ordered something and freelance person would not deliver it because of his opinions. Would be fine to implement algorythm of preferences of delivery man. This would never happen and everybody would be delivering only halal stuff according to them

Interesting discussion.

sponsors pay to have their product front and centre. The players wouldn’t be able to do anything is the product was on a board behind them.

I think the players have a right to move things, but there are going to be repercussions - obviously people at Heineken and Coca Cola will be rightly frustrated this morning.

in retrospect, obviously the best outcome would have been for the items to be removed prior to any cameras rolling.

bsCallout

ok i didnt know that, yep he is free man then. But as a customer i would be pissed off if i ordered something and freelance person would not deliver it because of his opinions. Would be fine to implement algorythm of preferences of delivery man. This would never happen and everybody would be delivering only halal stuff according to them
To be honest it would make sense for Deliveroo to introduce that option for Muslims that only want to deliver from Halal restaurants, or alocohl free establishments. Remember, that rider/driver would have probably made nothing that hour for rejecting that delivery, whilst the person waiting for their food probably only had to wait another 10 minutes.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I mean, I thought it was a bit much at the time, nobody asked him to drink the thing - but I also accepted that as a non-Muslim, I’m not really in a position to say how big a deal it was.

Of course, I was annoyed as from a customer service perspective, the food was delayed as a new driver had to be sent. Can’t help but think he’s in the wrong line of work though, delivering for restaurants, if he refuses to carry alcohol.

Jibbs

It is forbidden for muslims to work in any business which produces or sells or delivers wine or alcoholic beverages. But I agree if one is such a practicing muslim than should specify it before accepting any delivery job or working in a restaurant or alcohol distillery. It is very unprofessional to deny a service at last moment, it is kind of a breach of contract, which is a far greater sin in Islam, again if one is such a practicing muslim, they should know this.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Players are socially aware about the message they portray and what brands they want to support. Ronaldo is all about being healthy and taking care of yourself. Of course he'd rather tell people to drink water than Cola. Pogba is Muslim and a fairly serious one at that. Having a beer bottle in front of him is straight up disrespectful and tone deaf from Heineken. Heineken didn't do it for Ronaldo because they know he doesn't drink and is vocally against it.

Whether there are any fines or whatever are secondary and I'm sure the players don't care. The message they send to people around the world matters more to them. Just like how England players are ignoring political figures about the taking the knee issue and just doing what they believe in, Pogba has a right to not actively sponsor something he doesn't support. If there is a bottle of alcohol in front of him (or an alcoholic brand), then of course he is going to move it. It's just tone deaf from the companies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The reasoning is Islam sees alcohol like a drug and you don't want to facilitate or be a part of others consuming drugs as it breaks the social fabric of a society (has potential to).

Not saying you should accept this you can still find it stupid but the reasoning is similar to someone asking you to deliver a pack of heroin down the street (and it's fully legal)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He doesnt drink alcohol and to be fair even without the religion context, too much of that stuff could make you dance like a prick.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I mean, I thought it was a bit much at the time, nobody asked him to drink the thing - but I also accepted that as a non-Muslim, I’m not really in a position to say how big a deal it was.

Of course, I was annoyed as from a customer service perspective, the food was delayed as a new driver had to be sent. Can’t help but think he’s in the wrong line of work though, delivering for restaurants, if he refuses to carry alcohol.
If the food was delayed then he's at fault. The purpose of these "laws" arent this.

It could be he was new on the job and a fresh immigrant? In a lot of countries alcohol truly is taboo and he may have gotten cold feet at seeing it. Still his fault and very unprofessional.

bsCallout

It is forbidden for muslims to work in any business which produces or sells or delivers wine or alcoholic beverages. But I agree if one is such a practicing muslim than should specify it before accepting any delivery job or working in a restaurant or alcohol distillery. It is very unprofessional to deny a service at last moment, it is kind of a breach of contract, which is a far greater sin in Islam, again if one is such a practicing muslim, they should know this.
As long as they haven't selected it as collected they are allowed to cancel.