Paul Scholes's 2012 return - What do you make of it ?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I thought that he was simply magnificent in that half a season. You never know how good something is until you lose it — the way he controlled the game and effortlessly spread the ball around... It's a shame that we've fecked up that title run, he deserved it.

Shark

@NotShark
It was fine because SAF was a genius and could pull it off. It'd be madness for any other giant in Europe to do that though, can you imagine Barcelona bringing back Xavi at nearly 40 because they've no options in midfield. Especially if they had a teenage Paul Pogba rearing to go.

youngrell

I don't know why people bother themselves so much with club's future investment etc at times like that. Football is for entertainment and Scholes was one of the best to watch, so I was delighted to see him back for a while.

Were those thoughts really going through people's mind at the time? Must be boring being you, if so.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Remember buzzing my tits off the night it was announced and then he came on. Knew straight away it was a stroke of Fergie genius.

Nickelodeon

His return would've been considered a masterstroke by Fergie and his own reputation would've been much higher had we managed that PL title. Which also reflects the outcome oriented approach towards judging individual contributions.

Having said that, there's also an argument that Pogba could've been given a fast-track into the team which might've worked out better in the longer run and saved us 90 or so million.

Nep77

Had an absolute Stromer after the return, We won every game he started except for that city game when we fielded him and Giggs as CM pairing. 4-4 draw against Everton and 1-0 lost against Wigan on that run in which cost us the title, he was rested. He also scored 4 goals on half season playing in the middle two at that age. And on that Bale running past him in 12-13 season, on second half of that game we had like 81% possession and utterly dominated the game with Scholes controlling and dictating. I also remember him turning the game around in Anfield after coming off the bench in the same season.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
At the time I was pretty angry that Fergie's refusal to sort out the midfield problem had come to that. It was still great to see him back though.

Pughnichi

His return would've been considered a masterstroke by Fergie and his own reputation would've been much higher had we managed that PL title. Which also reflects the outcome oriented approach towards judging individual contributions.

Having said that, there's also an argument that Pogba could've been given a fast-track into the team which might've worked out better in the longer run and saved us 90 or so million.
not just the 90m

we wouldn’t have had to sign another midfielder (Fellaini) so it’s closer to 120m

it really was so short sighted of the club and why I believe (earlier) it’s up there with one of SAFs biggest mistakes.

Scholes was awesome. Indeed my fav player but in the end it was fruitless with us not winning the league. Pogba should have been promoted and who knows, the story could have been a lot different.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I remember a game we lost to Spurs 3-2 at home, where Scholes in the second half was unbelievable.

davidmichael

I don't think Scholes was one of the best players in the world at any time in his career. Atleast never top 10-15.

He's my favourite united player of all time.
Between 2001-2004 I can’t think of more than 14 players better than Scholes was, I’d most likely have Scholes as top 10 during that period.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't think Scholes was one of the best players in the world at any time in his career. Atleast never top 10-15.

He's my favourite united player of all time.
Because I'm bored

In 2006-07 he was a top 3 player in the league. And was part of a team that went to the CL semifinals. You can't name 10 players that were better than Paul Scholes in that season.

Ditto for the year he scored 20 odd goals in a season.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I remember this picture being posted everywhere soon after his return, pretty sure most of you know about his one.
Shit picture but good old days.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
At the time I was pretty angry that Fergie's refusal to sort out the midfield problem had come to that. It was still great to see him back though.
This matched my feelings. To go years without buying good midfielders was so frustrating.

Robertd0803

I remember being crazy excited when I saw his name on the subs bench for the City game. It was like it won us the game automatically in my head.

I'm struggling to remember what he did in 12/13 for some reason.

Stacks

Because I'm bored

In 2006-07 he was a top 3 player in the league. And was part of a team that went to the CL semifinals. You can't name 10 players that were better than Paul Scholes in that season.

Ditto for the year he scored 20 odd goals in a season.
It's all based off opinions but some of these guys could argue had better or as good seasons individually.

Pirlo, Kaka, Ronaldo, Messi, Drogba, Seedorf, Ronaldinho 38 G + A), Lampard (42 G + A), Rooney (started shit but finished strongly with (38 G + A), Van Nistelrooy, Rio, Gerrard etc. but yeah Scholes did indeed shine bright that season

Last edited:

Luke1995

1) Excited at fist, one of my top 5 fav players.
But then worried if he can still be that good and can still hack it. Also, I question the club and Fergie as to why are we not getting a newer top class midfielder, we've been ignoring that and it's showing more and more on the pitch. That said, Scholes is still that good and looking at the current midfielder department at that time, yeah, he'll improve it, but should be used selectively.

2) And... well, not too surprising. It is as it is. He's not Giggs. Fun at times but it's honestly getting sad we still had to rely on him for far too much imo.
At the time, maybe all the world class midfielders weren't available for prices the club could afford to pay.

Eriku

He was clearly a bit off the pace when he came back, but he still had it and was crucial to our resurgence that season.

I don't agree with the idea that he should have quit after that season, him getting another trophy was great, and he still made a great contribution. The away match against Southampton was ALL about him getting subbed in, even RvP who scored a hattrick said that Scholesy changed that game.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Not even close. I can't even remember a time when Scholes was in the top 3 players at United.

I loved him as a player and he was very underrated during his playing career but the revisionism since is absolutely absurd.

As for his return post retirement, I always felt he should have been used off the bench. He could still impact games when the team was chasing the game or to control possession when in front but he struggled to get through 90 minutes and his lack of athleticism was a real weakness.

I still remember Bale breezing past him at OT like he was 100 years old.
Sounds like contrarian bollocks to me but we all have opinions

POF

Sounds like contrarian bollocks to me but we all have opinions
The interesting thing is, if you had said he was in the top 10 players in the world at any point during his career, you would have been laughed at.

It's only post his career or at the tail end when his powers waned that Scholes being on the elite world class level was even considered worthy of discussion.

Paul_Scholes18

It was a great comeback. Although him and Carrick didn't form the best partnership. Would have been interesting to see Paul Pogba more.

RUCK4444

Saving money.
Sadly this in part is true, still he was that good I was happy to see him play again.

Plus he was immense and kept us in the race that season.

Edit: we wouldn’t have signed a better player anyway, we still haven’t and won’t.
You don’t replace a Paul Scholes you simply try to fill the void.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Sadly this in part is true, still he was that good I was happy to see him play again.

Plus he was immense and kept us in the race that season.

Edit: we would have have signed a better player anyway, we still haven’t and won’t.
You don’t replace a Paul Scholes you simply try to fill the void.
We did have some money to spend at least. We just wasted it on Young, when the wings were the one position we were fairly stacked in. I'd argue going into the season, Jones wasn't really a priority too - we were fairly covered. But that was the year we had that CB injury crisis & even then Jones eventually became part of the annual crisis rather than a solution to it.

Based Adnan

I remember a game we lost to Spurs 3-2 at home, where Scholes in the second half was unbelievable.
Was just about to post this. Completely dictated the game from deep. Absolutely everything ran through him and he did something everytime.

RUCK4444

We did have some money to spend at least. We just wasted it on Young, when the wings were the one position we were fairly stacked in. I'd argue going into the season, Jones wasn't really a priority too - we were fairly covered. But that was the year we had that CB injury crisis & even then Jones eventually became part of the annual crisis rather than a solution to it.
I do agree to some extent, although Young was good in his initial period and although somewhat of an icon to us fans of a poor period of squad quality, he was, overall, a good and versatile professional.

I believe sir Alex wanted to sign what seemed to potentially be the future England centre back partnership of Smalling and Jones. However the latter has been a disaster.

Jones is a bull in a china shop and ironically is made from china. So he ends up breaking himself every time we allow him, through desperation, out of the barn.

mad1max954

Saw an article when Scholes said at 29 or so, sir alex asked him to sit and to not get forward as much. Pre that, getting forward and trying to get goals was a big part of his game.

Most players enter their twilight years at that age, but for me, that’s really when Scholes went to another level; when he stopped moving about as much and really took control of games. He was truly untouchable in that role

OleBoiii

I've only been at Old Trafford once in my life. I believe it was just a few weeks after his return, so I was pretty happy about that, as I thought I'd never get to see my favorite player live. It was vs Stoke, but it was magical to see how smart he was and how well he dealt with lack of time and space. Totally the highlight of the trip for me.

mancan92

Between 2001-2004 I can’t think of more than 14 players better than Scholes was, I’d most likely have Scholes as top 10 during that period.
Really?

In that time period he was fighting with veron for his position and its only 02/03 where he was really great. Even then he wasnt even too 3 players in our team.

siw2007

I wasn't too keen on his return to be honest. I loved Scholes, was one of the best midfielders in the world in his day and a quite the unique talent when compared to other midfielders who have played in the premier league. But I'm a firm believer in never letting a team grow old together, and in what was an interesting moment in our history at the time, a time where we needed to be looking to the future and how to develop a new team, I felt falling back on Scholes was a move in the wrong direction. Still, this isn't Scholes's fault if he felt he could still play.

In some way I was proved wrong because he was different class when he came back. He scored a few goals, but my favourite display by him was the game against Liverpool where he just had Gerrard and co on a leash all game, just toyed with them for long periods and couldn't get near him, his legs might have gone but his footballing brain was still in full motion and unmatched. So for that one stint at the back end of the 2012 season, I think it worked out very well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Was just about to post this. Completely dictated the game from deep. Absolutely everything ran through him and he did something everytime.
I definitely remember leaving Old Trafford not too annoyed that we lost (well I was annoyed, but not as much as I usually am when we lose at OT) because a) we were good in the second half and probably deserved to draw and b) I got to watch Scholes be absolutely ridiculous.

GenZRed

Should have been a giant danger signal that our squad was lacking in investment. Pity so many people (including me, since Scholes is one of my favorite players) got carried away with the hype.

Mickson

It’s all revisionism with Scholes, great player though he was. Only after Veron left did we start even seeing the Paul Scholes many remember, and then that eye problem cut out a massive chunk of that prime deep lying Scholes.
And remember post-Veron were Fergie’s worst years, the days of Djemba twins, Kleberson, Liam Miller.

I’d argue the very best of Paul Scholes was actually after the eye injury, in 2006-2007, that season he was truly World class. I think he then missed a huge chunk of the following season through a knee injury which possible stole us from seeing 3 seasons of an epic Scholes. 2006-2007 was the year for Scholes and the only season I’d have considered him our best player.

Yet many will now have you know he was “the best of the co92”, as already mentioned in this thread. Many will even try convincing you he was better than Keane

The opposite has happened with Giggs since he finished playing.
This. And the argument is mostly "You're having a laugh :D :D :D"

paulscholes18

He was barely top 3 In our team.

Giggs, Beckham, ruud van nisteroy, rio all had arguably equal or better seasons.
Ruud certainly 44 goals, top scorer in the league and CL, wouldn’t have been unjust had he won the ballon d’or that year

Eriku

Saw an article when Scholes said at 29 or so, sir alex asked him to sit and to not get forward as much. Pre that, getting forward and trying to get goals was a big part of his game.

Most players enter their twilight years at that age, but for me, that’s really when Scholes went to another level; when he stopped moving about as much and really took control of games. He was truly untouchable in that role
Absolutely. Him, Pirlo and Xavi, an easy top three for me in terms of who you want running the show in midfield at the peak of their powers.

Schmeichel in an interview once made the point that what sets the truly top tier apart for him is consistency. And with players like Scholes, year in year out, you knew they’d not be a weak link. I remember being younger and wanting flashy names, and then Fergie would talk about character. I think we’re seeing more and more with the current United how much that really matters.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was coming home from a running race, and put the radio on, to be shocked to hear both that we were 3-0 up away at City, and that Scholes was playing, as it was kept a massive secret in a way that's quite rare for this generation.

I think he gave a ball away and they went and scored, but after that he bossed it for the rest of the season, in his late 30s!

Glad he got out when Fergie did, I bet that Moyes season was painful for Giggs.