Paulinho|Gangzhou player

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Flatters to deceive, it’s still a woeful transfer. Nothing new learned, he’s poor technically but great in attack

He gives them a bit more grit in midfield but useful in transition attacks rather than building from the back or playing between the lines

Schneckerl

Well, he's utter wank really.
From what I've seen that the only conclussion.

No idea what Barca fans who claim he has been good so far are watching. Wasteful and losing the ball all the time.

Semedo looks impressive though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Flatters to deceive, it’s still a woeful transfer. Nothing new learned, he’s poor technically but great in attack

He gives them a bit more grit in midfield but useful in transition attacks rather than building from the back or playing between the lines
The sooner you and other Barca fans accept you're moving on from positional play, the better.

Culero

So you say we should give Gomes a chance yet Paulinho is a woeful transfer after just two games? Granted he isn't what we should have spent money on he has done more in the past two games then Gomes contributed last year. How about we judge him after at least half a season. Andre Gomes was a woeful transfer, the jury is out on Paulinho but so far so good.

Keenst

No one else bossed the Chinese Super league like this guy. Opponents and team mates were in awe supposedly. His professionalism, along with his talent has gotten him back to the top. In stark contrast with the money grabbing, lazy mercenaries like Tevez.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
So you say we should give Gomes a chance yet Paulinho is a woeful transfer after just two games? Granted he isn't what we should have spent money on he has done more in the past two games then Gomes contributed last year. How about we judge him after at least half a season. Andre Gomes was a woeful transfer, the jury is out on Paulinho but so far so good.
Gomes was cheaper & younger. We could debate whether Gomes was the right fit anymore than Paulinho is but the former was used in 7 different positions last season and sparingly. What is Paulinho's role to be? We needed a CM and he is not that, if we want a midfielder who can play between the lines and occasionally even go out wide he isn't that either. He's an extra physical player to rush into the box and score - that's it. He is not creative and he is not a technical player. Super sub? Perhaps but at 40 million? It's woeful. Tomorrow Gomes or Paulinho goes back onto the market and it's clear which will recoup more of their fee on the market

Culero

Gomes was cheaper & younger. We could debate whether Gomes was the right fit anymore than Paulinho is but the former was used in 7 different positions last season and sparingly. What is Paulinho's role to be? We needed a CM and he is not that, if we want a midfielder who can play between the lines and occasionally even go out wide he isn't that either. He's an extra physical player to rush into the box and score - that's it. He is not creative and he is not a technical player. Super sub? Perhaps but at 40 million? It's woeful. Tomorrow Gomes or Paulinho goes back onto the market and it's clear which will recoup more of their fee on the market
The former was used in several positions specifically because he does such a poor job the coach tries to find what he can offer. Sure financially Gomes is a better investment as you can recoup more and if he turns out well can perform for longer. But based simply on football there is no other way of saying he has been a failure. The jury is still out on Paulinho but so far he hasn't put a foot wrong, whereas Gomes was painful to watch last year.

Don't get me wrong the Paulinho transfer especially for that fee is stupid, however if we are gonna base the argument on who can recoup more money rather than football it is clear how much Gomes has disappointed as his game doesn't speak for itself.

Jaybomb

Looks like a good signing for them.

Typical media over exaggerating things. He had a few bad games at Spurs and people act like he's a rubbish player. He has been immense for Brazil. No surprise for me.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I can't say I've seen too much from him, so you are right about the sample size. Do you really not think that he can offer something different? I know you are set up to dominate teams with possession and quick movement, but I can't help thinking that your backline is slowly getting weaker and when youv'e got Mascherano as a centre back (even if he's good playing from the back) you really do lack size and physicality.

I've always felt that Rakitic is a good player but more of the same though nowhere near as good as what was there before for Barca (Xavi). At least you've got options now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Looks like a good signing for them.

Typical media over exaggerating things. He had a few bad games at Spurs and people act like he's a rubbish player. He has been immense for Brazil. No surprise for me.
He hasn't really been that good though, despite goals, by all accounts? Even in this thread we have people saying that he has been rather underwhelming. He's a very limited player who could maybe do the job as fourth or fifth midfielder at a Barcelona team but considering the transfer fee of £40m they would be expecting him to be a focal point of their midfield or at least someone they can rely on on a regular basis.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I can't say I've seen too much from him, so you are right about the sample size. Do you really not think that he can offer something different? I know you are set up to dominate teams with possession and quick movement, but I can't help thinking that your backline is slowly getting weaker and when youv'e got Mascherano as a centre back (even if he's good playing from the back) you really do lack size and physicality.

I've always felt that Rakitic is a good player but more of the same though nowhere near as good as what was there before for Barca (Xavi). At least you've got options now.
A reinforcement is needed in central defense, no question, which makes the loan of Marlon a bit odd but size along is not a prerequisite at Barcelona - this has hardly hurt the team over the past 10-12 seasons. Mascherano only just played against Eibar otherwise Umtiti is the cornerstone for years to come. Geri still plays at a high level but I agree that they will need to reinforce there. The rumours linking the club to Yerry Mina continue although I would have preferred Davinson Sanchez

I do think Paulinho can add something different depending on the opponent/tactics and in the later stages of a tight match. What I resent from his signing is that the midfield position has really needed a player who can play between the lines for years and that has remained unaddressed much the way RB was until Semedo. Rakitic is already looking better now that Semedo is there to shore up that right side, freeing him up to deliver in the middle rather than help provide width - thus negating his impact like much of last season. They signed Gomes to apparently deploy him in a counter attacking setup which Lucho was gravitating towards and Rakitic is definitely a box to box. Yet, Iniesta stands alone as a player between the lines and close to goal so yes, Paulinho can help in that final third but he will do little elsewhere. Check out his highlights from the match against Eibar and see how often he ran into a crowd of players only to turn it over. A super sub at 10-20 million, perhaps but 40 million signing under dubious circumstances? Not at all but this is the board & sporting outlook currently in power

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@FCBarca

Interesting thoughts. It is of course a huge ask to replace Xavi as there is not another one like him. Of course I don't mean that you need height/physicality regardless of ball playing ability. A player like Dele Alli might be an interesting option for Barca, but he's maybe more of an AMC than a box to box player. Actually, come to think of it, Dembele at Spurs would be incredible for you (the downside being his injury record). One of the most underrated players in the Prem.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Well the truth is that Asensio was really a player that ticked a lot of the boxes needed and this board somehow messed that up when the player himself wanted the move. But again, that is the board in place atm

I have to watch Dele Alli more tbh as I don't know the player well

The Xavi question for me is more about the development of players within the cantera, a cantera that, again, the current board has decimated IMHO. So while there is no direct replacement for a player like Xavi, the club was producing similar sort of central midfielders - that is not the case atm. So they have to look into the market and finding a player that can fill that role at Barcelona is very difficult. The short answer is that there is no Xavi replacement anyway but the longer answer is that the club has lost it's way, particularly within the cantera

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, that's quite incredible that they've decimated what is the main reason for your recent dominance. I would be amazed if Barca have not at least looked at Dembele. He's at a club that pays low, comparatively, and he won't win things there. Granted he's 30, but he's a great dribbler, two footed, great in possession and also offers physicality. Would be ideal for the short term.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
The times when you sign a supersub for 10m. are long gone @FCBarca. I agree Paulinho won't ever be good enough on the ball to start for Barca, but 40m. is not such an outrageous price for a good squad player these days. You're expected to pay double that for a top class midfielder if not more, and that in the rare case that he is available to buy.

macheda14

If the sample size were always that small to draw conclusions then every Macheda would be a star
/ you've been playing more and more this way over the last few seasons. There has been a definite movement away from Tiki Taka. It isn't ingrained into the club, it's akin to saying that Wenger plays the Arsenal way. No, before him, the Arsenal way was 1-0 to the Arsenal - Score a goal and shut up shop. Most Likely, the next manager will have a different style.

The comment that you should accept your moving on from positional play, is more one that its to the benefit of the club if you walk away from notions of how the club is supposed to play. Same with 'the united way' - flying wingers etc. All one should hope for as a fan is that your team wins and excites you doing so, not that there is a singular style ingrained into the club.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
/ you've been playing more and more this way over the last few seasons. There has been a definite movement away from Tiki Taka. It isn't ingrained into the club, it's akin to saying that Wenger plays the Arsenal way. No, before him, the Arsenal way was 1-0 to the Arsenal - Score a goal and shut up shop. Most Likely, the next manager will have a different style.

The comment that you should accept your moving on from positional play, is more one that its to the benefit of the club if you walk away from notions of how the club is supposed to play. Same with 'the united way' - flying wingers etc. All one should hope for as a fan is that your team wins and excites you doing so, not that there is a singular style ingrained into the club.
We're not moving from the positional play though. The change has been in the fluidity of the passing game, meaning players stick more to their positions and the movement is more limited. Barca is the same team in broad lines. About keeping possession, creating chances and dominating the opponent. Some of the ways in which that is achieved have changed a bit. But the main idea is the same, and the style has been preserved. You make it sound as if Barca are a counter attacking team which they're not. They still keep the ball and try to dominate teams, they're just doing it with less success than in the past.

Tiki-taka is not Barca's style. It was a ultra-high quality variation of the positional game (which we still play to this day and will play in the future as well), implemented by Pep based on Cruyff's foundations of highly fluid possession game.

What's changed is basically the fluidity of the players' movement, which is not as great as it was, and this can only lead to a less complex passing network, as well as less intricate close-passing sequences.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@macheda14
That "United way" is a bit of a myth though in terms of flying wingers. If it's in the singular, then maybe, but I can't remember when we last had two capable wingers with pace either side. Giggsy for sure, but Becks wasn't exactly flying, and not really a flying winger as much as an extremely gifted wide midfielder. I would also add, that this is something that we lack and not because we've gone a more successful route. If we had a truly gifted winger on that right hand side our play would greatly benefit from the space it would create and deliveries from the right would not result in corners and throw ins.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Yeah, that's quite incredible that they've decimated what is the main reason for your recent dominance. I would be amazed if Barca have not at least looked at Dembele. He's at a club that pays low, comparatively, and he won't win things there. Granted he's 30, but he's a great dribbler, two footed, great in possession and also offers physicality. Would be ideal for the short term.
It boggles the mind for far too few cules for my liking tbh, despite being patently obvious - just as obvious how dangerous Rosell even many years ago would turn out to be. I'm not sure you could find a double agent from RM to tank the path of the club worse then the way they have but when you see how even global politics has turned it's perhaps not so surprising. Of course, like in politics, it also took a willing membership to not only vote them in but keep them there this long

I watched some clips of Dembele earlier, very impressive - I'm surprised how he was never on my radar

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
And I haven't suggested that their lost way started last season, even during the treble season of Lucho they clutched to their positional play more due to Xavi's swan song. Their play more resembled that of the coach than Barca

The rationale for the move away from it is irrelevant really, the philosophy will not change anymore than Pep will

RooneyLegend

He's an example of what they could do with, but not exactly with him. The pace, power he adds to their midfield is a breath of fresh air and with Busquets and Iniesta in their side they still have a couple of controllers in there so it's not like the combinations other teams use that leads to a team unable to pass the ball about. People act as though they struggle to retain the ball, they still do that remarkably well even post Xavi. However post Xavi they've been a bit more direct in transition which imo is really the way to go as opposed to knocking the ball about until the opposition gets everyone behind the ball.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Was brilliant again, he really has turned it around. What a way to answer critics laughing on this buy from barca.

Litch

It's crazy and you wonder how many are kicking themselves that they didn't sign him including us....

el3mel

That was one signing that proves fans sometimes know feck all about how useful a certain name can be for your team.

ash_86

Sometimes not going for the flashy name in the market can unearth gems like these.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't even think Barca expected him to be this useful, seemed to be some dodgy business behind his transfer rather than a well-calculated and well-scouted purchase.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Thought Barcelona would've been one step too far for him but anyone who's seen him play for Brazil recently shouldn't be shocked.

Fenomeno9

Thought Barcelona would've been one step too far for him but anyone who's seen him play for Brazil recently shouldn't be shocked.
He should give Tite half his wages for reviving his career. Honestly, he was never as bad as he was made out to be. Paulinho is useful player when he has confidence and is playing in the right system.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I used to say I loved having him as he was our new Keita, and we needed a player like that, but feck it, he's not a new Keita, he's better than him, if he improves even further I'd be okay with Paulinho sending my beloved Rakitic to the bench

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
It was also not like he was playing against a shit midfield, it was the best midfield in the world. Great performance.

jem

Comes across as a very likable guy - a good article on him in the Guardian the other day. We could certainly use a player like him.

rique_don

Comes across as a very likable guy - a good article on him in the Guardian the other day. We could certainly use a player like him.
I think we'd ruin him. We dont seem i
To improve offensive players. Especially midfielders. I'm happy it's turned out well for him.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I used to say I loved having him as he was our new Keita, and we needed a player like that, but feck it, he's not a new Keita, he's better than him, if he improves even further I'd be okay with Paulinho sending my beloved Rakitic to the bench
High praise indeed! Happy for the lad to be honest, considering the negativity on his initial signing. He's surprised me as well..