Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I’m imaging that Wan Bissaka and Shaw will be heavily relied upon to cover certain areas when certain attacking patterns are happening either making it 3 at the back 3 in midfield or one joining the attack so Pogba and Dybala end up centrally behind the forward and the wide men sticking wide allowing us to hold a press better.

So in attacking phases It would look more like this.
DDG
Lindelof Maguire
Bissaka Matic Shaw
James Dybala Pogba Rashford
Martial
Then defensively it resets to 4231
DDG
Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Matic Pogba
James Dybala Rashford
Martial​
Both are much stronger defensive fullbacks than attacking fullbacks anyway, which allows us a bit more freedom with the front 3 (though I think they be pretty normal with it, having 3 attackers with Pogba in midfield isn't anything outrageous but has the potential to be brilliant in the attack).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Except his agent made noises in May about him leaving saying he needed a change.
Dybala shot those rumours downs himself.
‘I can’t say where he’ll go, but there is a strong chance Paulo will leave,’ said Gustavo Dybala. ‘Of course he’s not happy there.’
‘My brother spoke for himself,’ Dybala told Sky Sport Italia at an event at the Adidas Store in Milan.

‘[Juventus sporting director Fabio] Paratici knows what I want to do next year… to keep playing here. ‘Paratici knows that next year I want to continue here. Then it doesn’t depend on me.
‘Juventus must make its choices with the coach that will come. But society knows it, next year I want to stay here. ‘I have a lot of respect for this shirt and for these fans, and because of this I will only talk about Juventus, not about other teams, because that seems to me a lack of respect.’

Gonçalo Motta

He's actually a very good player who simply doesn't fit the preconception of a United forward. Guys like Giggs, Cole, Rashford and solskjaer are more what people have in mind here. Pace and the ability to beat a man and typically about 5'10-6'0 are more what were used to rather than the powerhouse centre forwards teams like Chelsea seem to prefer.
I call it as I see it. Imo he is borderline average as a striker and has no place in a top tier team.

He doesn't bring anything to the game besides being decent at scoring and even in that area he is not a top tier finisher.

I honestly don't know how we got here.
The team that once had some of the best talents in the world upfront, now has Lukaku, the donkey man.

With that said, Dybala is definitely an upgrade overall but he isn't the solution. He will contribute more in the game but his goal output should be around the same as Lukaku.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Lukaku scored 25 league goals in 16/17 but is seen as a 'must sell' on here. Dybala is seen as a 'must buy' largely because he had a good 17/18 in Serie A.
Lukaku is a goal scorer and nothing else, Dybala is a goal scorer and an all round better player that will contribute far more in the build up of attacks.

nainaisson

My feelings are that we'll vary it. But i don't think we'll go with a diamond, per se.

Big games:

433 with Dybala as a 'false 9'. He'll have freedom to move around, Rashford and Martial will dovetail from the wings to come centrally ahead of Dybala when he drops deep. Could be perceived as a diamond but I can't see us ever giving up width high up the pitch.

Or Dybala RW with freedom, similar to Mata. I hate this role when Mata plays it but Dybala will make a better job of it and AWB will provide energy to cover the right hand side. McTominay will cover from midfield.

Against teams that sit back:

All out attack. Dybala will play behind a striker with Pogba and McTominay behind. A striker ahead and 2 wide players. 4231.

If we bought Bruno then I think Dybala will play RW or False 9 again. Fullbacks will provide width in these games, high press. We'll go for the jugular.

Thats what I'd do and what I think makes sense.
We've played 4-2-3-1 in every game this pre-season, but we're waiting to crack out the 4-3-3 with Dybala as a False 9 for the "big games"? Okay...

I vaguely remember us playing Lingard and Mata as a False 9 last season, but it seems dumb to focus exclusively on 4-2-3-1 this pre-season if we're planning on changing formations so much.

RedStarUnited

Pogba’s defensive contribution criticism is not unfounded. However, we should consider the quality of defense behind him in last seasons. It was a complete mess. Plus, I am convinced he will play deeper than he played under Ole last season. He is a CM.
Ole comes in and sees Pogba have a killer period where he scores and creates for fun. For next season, he goes and changes that position? ?I hope he knows what he is doing.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
We've played 4-2-3-1 in every game this pre-season, but we're waiting to crack out the 4-3-3 with Dybala as a False 9 for the "big games"? Okay...

I vaguely remember us playing Lingard and Mata as a False 9 last season, but it seems dumb to focus exclusively on 4-2-3-1 this pre-season if we're planning on changing formations so much.
Tbf the formation has something to do with the players at our disposal.

If Dybala is got, surely Ole and the staff will do whatever they deem is best to get the next best lineup with him in it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm just catching up on the evening developments (or lack of). I read he doesn't need to report for training until August 5th Monday.

So does that mean he won't have his crunch talks with Sarri until then? Or has that happened? If its happened I'm assuming major confirmation of some sort tomorrow? But then one tweet said no medicals or anything until Monday (not sure what that has to do with anything).

Lee565

Hard to be excited for di Maria part 2, nothing has changed at this club since that transfer, Woodward is still a joke in sorting out transfers and will happily bend over for a player that doesn't respect this club because he's more interested in a new marketing toy and most fans are willing to bury their head in the sand and celebrate signing a player that doesn't want to be at the club because they have mentality of how real football should be like a game of fifa ultimate team

Velvet Revolver

Tbf the formation has something to do with the players at our disposal.

If Dybala is got, surely Ole and the staff will do whatever they deem is best to get the next best lineup with him in it.
I rather we find a system and get players that match it rather than creating formations to fit specific players. It's what got us in this mess in the first place.

I like dybala, but unless he is playing as a striker or a false nine we are trying to buy a currently not needed position

Bwuk

More and more I think about it I can see him playing through the middle with Rashford on the right.

Dybala
Martial - Bruno - Rashford
McTominay - Pogba​

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm just catching up on the evening developments (or lack of). I read he doesn't need to report for training until August 5th Monday.

So does that mean he won't have his crunch talks with Sarri until then? Or has that happened? If its happened I'm assuming major confirmation of some sort tomorrow? But then one tweet said no medicals or anything until Monday (not sure what that has to do with anything).
The medicals are so he can be cleared to train with Juventus, so they're being held off until he has his future sorted.

GamerKurisu

Going to be a meltdown when we don't get Dybala or Fernandes and only get Mcguire and then Manzukic in a swap + cash for Lukaku

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I went to Rome last year, an incredible city it must be said, but the sheer amount of homeless people I spotted in the first couple of days was staggering. That and the pickpocketing was beyond belief, my wife and I got stung twice on two separate busses. We were warned about the pickpocketers by both the cab driver and the hotel manager though.

It's funny because we didn't hear anything about these pickpocketers until we arrived in the city. It's like a well kept secret or something.
Yep, also an incredible amount of people desperate to flog you stuff. You get harassed in the streets by people trying to sell cheap tat, it's constant. Didn't have the pickpocketing issue but not remotely surprised that it exists, lots of tourists around so it's easy pickings.

Italy has a hell of a lot going for it as a country but also a very long list of issues. I'd definitely go back (though would steer clear of major cities) but would much rather live somewhere like England, France or Germany long term.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
We'd use him in either a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2:
De Gea
AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw
Lingard McTominay Pogba
Dybala
Martial Rashford

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Lingard Dybala Martial
Rashford

De Gea
Lingard McTominay Pogba
Dybala Rashford Martial
This is just all I see looking at these teams. Going to be painful if I have to watch this guy as a main starter next year :(

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Utter rubbish! Chorlton, Didsbury, Alty, Hale, Cheadle even Urmston is up and coming. Thats before you get into deepest Cheshire.
Appreciate this may be your home area. But if you compare those areas to London (Chelsea, Fulham, richmond, barnes, putney etc.) You will find a significant difference.

Manchester is an up and coming city. But it's way behind the elite locations (for now)

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
More and more I think about it I can see him playing through the middle with Rashford on the right.

Dybala
Martial - Bruno - Rashford
McTominay - Pogba​

That’s dirty.

I don’t get why people are sweating it. There’s legitimately 3-4 formations where Dybala can play SS or false 9.

mav_9me

I'm skeptical about Dybala here. Time will tell. If he even ends up coming here.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Either that and/or just shit tier journalists making stuff up for clicks while they can until the real news leaks.

Now if a tier 1 says so, I’ll by all means be glad to mention it. But until then, I’m against feeding into the negative gossip machine...let’s see what sort of reports we get today, I’ll have my fingers crossed !
When will you fecking learn that 'tiering' journalists is fecking bullshit?

Until the club announces the transfer then no journalist knows a fecking thing and it's ridiculous to 'tier' them.

How can you possibly know who knows what unless you're them yourself? Yeah the club may brief certain ones before others and give them a bit more but unless you're Dybala or Ed Woodward or the Juve representatives or his agent then you know absolutely nothing. Doesn't matter what certain people at the club tell you and then you report. Nobody has any credibility is this day and age.

You decry me saying that I've heard he doesn't want to be here from certain outlets because they're apparently not reliable but you value others you know feck all about because they're telling you what you want to hear.

If, and it's a massive fecking if, Dybala comes here and he plays like he bloody loves the club and values being here and we're massively indebted to him for joining and ridding us of Lukaku then save this post and I'll give you a thousand thank you's but until then all things point to a guy being absolutely fine at Juventus then suddenly they get a new manager who wants a ridiculous transfer and he's getting thrown into the mix to make it happen. He never asked to go to United and why would he when we're out of the Champions League, not challenging for a league title any time soon and we're in the dreary north west of England. He's gonna be Di Maria mk.2 until he proves he isn't.

By all means get really excited by this because it'd probably be refreshing if we hadn't been burnt a million times before by stories like this and transfers like this. I applaud your optimism, genuinely I do.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
To be honest I hated Manchester when I visited from London as it just seemed like a smaller, dirtier place with not as much to do. Doesn't help the weather was bad the times I've gone.

Ps. If dybala reads this then manchester is amazing!
Welcome to Britain where everywhere is a carbon copy of everywhere else and nowhere gets any attention apart from London.

NoPace

Ole comes in and sees Pogba have a killer period where he scores and creates for fun. For next season, he goes and changes that position? ?I hope he knows what he is doing.
My guess is Ole wants to press and doesn't think Pogba is energetic or present enough off the ball to do it as a 10 well, but that with his long strides he can clean up the space behind well enough, like he does sometimes for France.

On topic, I'm assuming we're going to get this 4-2-3-1 established and think Lingard as a 10 is currently our weakest starter. If Dybala signs I expect the starting lineup to be:

-----------------------Martial----------------------
Rashford------------Dybala----------------James
--------------Pogba--------McTominay-------------
Shaw-------Maguire-------Lindelof-------WanBissaka
-------------------------De Gea---------------------

And I think Greenwood probably ends up replacing whichever of Martial, Rashford or James does the worst, since it seems unlikely all 3 merit a starting spot.

We still badly need a winger, a midfielder who can run (unlike Matic) and doesn't appear to have lost his basic skills in some sort of confidence lobotomy (Fred) but otherwise it's sort of an exciting team considering the system.

Don't think it's cut out to break down bunkering teams but should be fun to watch and could really give some teams trouble. Like we could be a Leipzig sort of team in terms of style and level which isn't going to get us above 4th barring some Spurs crisis, but still an improvement aesthetically over every post-Ferguson season and quality-wise probably up with the decent Mourinho 2nd season.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Supposed to be super reliable for Sarri as he’s his mouthpiece.

It’s happening. :drool:

Vanrouge

Sanchez wanted to come here. I'm actually still hopeful we'll see the true Sanchez this season
He did. Thank you for pointing this out to those who want to change history to suit their current agenda. I certainly haven't given up on him yet (as long as he can stay injury free).

wr8_utd

:'(
We need Lukaku to be spotted in Italy to truly get the ball rolling on this one. It's going to be slow news days till then.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
By all means get really excited by this because it'd probably be refreshing if we hadn't been burnt a million times before by stories like this and transfers like this. I applaud your optimism, genuinely I do.
Cheers man, appreciate it

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Squad dynamics will change. Let's see if we play 4231 all season like you say, or it varies like i think it will.

This should be obvious but we wouldn't set up against Perth Glory, or any pre seaaon game really, in a 433 or whatever our plan for the harder fixtures would be, because it's pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.