Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

Imagine we won’t be seeing any concrete updates today until the player gets back tomorrow. All it takes now is a YES from Dybala and we are sorted

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Woah, chill out dude
I just found it odd. I don't watch as much european football as I used to 2-3 years ago but he was still a regular for Juventus last season and plays for Argentina from time to time.

No issue if he's talking about Bruno Fernandes.

Saddy

Watching clips of Dybala in action and I see Mo Salah - quality left foot but can use his right if necessary - gets my thumbs up if we do proper Due Diligence on his attitude !

Could be a fantastic addition to the squad and for once at the right age with his best years ahead retaining some transfer value

No brainer for me

Jordan_mufc

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Surprised Dybala’s “only” option seems to be us. (& reports linked him to Spurs of course - but wages might be a issue for them).

Juve could easily, IMO, flog him for €80-90m and just buy Lukaku from us? Guess the big sides are stacked up front (unless PSG loses Neymar) & Chelsea have a transfer ban, which explains his limited options, as only a handful of clubs can afford his transfer fee and wages.

Madrid might have been interested, had the Bale & James moves not stalled I guess.

settembrini

In the admittedly few games I have watched I can see nothing wrong with his workrate to be fair.
I have watched him a lot and while I wouldn't call him lazy he certainly isn't a hard worker like our first two summer signings.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Now that this is looking bizarrely likely to happen, despite my massive reservations about the signing, we do appear to have somehow upgraded on Lukaku albeit with a different style of player.

How do people feel we will line-up with Dybala?

Would it be:

-------Rashy-------
Martial--Dybala---Lingard

?

Because I'm shuddering at the thought of Pogba in a two-man midfield/pivot alongside Matic or McTominay. The former is done. The latter too limited. If we had a N'golo Kante I'd be confident of that formation succeeding but we frankly dont.
Rashford - Martial - Dybala
Pogba - McTominay - Bruno*
Shaw - Maguire* - Lindelöf - AWB
De Gea​

If the other transfer rumours are to be believed.
With all 3 up front switching positions as needed.
Gives us 3 in midfield and Lingard not in the starting eleven.

$inner_88

Probably would have been a good idea to get that out of the way before training?

Or maybe he will get the hint by being told to do gym work by himself.

Sambob

Imagine this place when we dont make any of the three heavily linked signings of Bruno, Maguire and Dybala :(

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think almost every manager would want Dybala. He's class and obviously if United are in talks with him then Solskjaer must have given it the okay.

But it's simply true that Dybala doesn't fit with what Solskjaer has talked about wanting from United players (pace, workrate) while he fits perfectly with what Woodward wants (superstars that will keep sponsors happy/attract new ones and generate social media buzz).

So it feels like a signing that Woodward will have pushed for and Solskjaer went along with while James and Wan-Bissaka felt like signings Solskjaer pushed for and Woodward went along with.
If Aguero can learn to press well enough for a Guardiola team, i'm sure Dybala can do the same.

He's not exactly slow either, perfectly fast enough. I think the idea of pace is being over stretched a bit, he doesn't exactly HAVE to have olympic sprinters. Just people who are athletic enough to keep running regularly and at a good speed.

What's Dybala's usually running record like? I can't say I've paid enough attention to his pressing.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Surprised Dybala’s “only” option seems to be us. (& reports linked him to Spurs of course - but wages might be a issue for them).

Juve could easily, IMO, flog him for €80-90m and just buy Lukaku from us? Guess the big sides are stacked up front (unless PSG loses Neymar) & Chelsea have a transfer ban, which explains his limited options, as only a handful of clubs can afford his transfer fee and wages.

Madrid might have been interested, had the Bale & James moves not stalled I guess.
Teams may be scared to pay that sort of money after his poor season.

We don't have to fork that out just get rid of a player we also want to get rid of. We will hope playing him regularly he will rediscover his top form.

It's a win-win in theory.

Treble

Strange opinion tbh. Dybala is far more talented, more proven, much higher ceiling, more dynamic, less likely to flop, addresses our potential goalscoring issues and should give us what we need in the attack. In an attacking sense, he's basically as good as what we could possibly do this summer because of his potential to be one of the best in the world. Fernandes is good, but nowhere near Dybala level or potential, and has a lot more risks associated with him (along with basically playing the same position).
Given that Ronaldo turns 35 in February and Mandzukic 34 in May (Higuain is old too), why on earth would Juve let a player with such a potential leave them being only 25 y.o.? 99% of the comments on here make Juve look dumb. Which they aren't.

Dybala is a very good player but not that special really. He is as overrated on here as Lukaku is underrated. The swap makes sense for Juve simply because they think that they are of similar quality in their respective positions. Otherwise they'd want Lukaku + 50m or something.

Pass and Move

Another reason to sign Dybala. He’s the caliber and profile of player who will help convince Pogba to stay, Sancho to join etc

TRUERED89

Rashford - Martial - Dybala
De Gea​

Depending on opposition a diamond 4-4-2 would be interesting too..

--------------De Gea-----------------
-AWB----McGuire----Lindelöf------Shaw--
------------------McT-------------------
-------Bruno--------------Pogba--------
-----------------Dybala------------------
------Rashford-----------Martial-----------

It lacks width yes, but through the middle that looks pretty damn good!

Nick7

Given that Ronaldo turns 35 in February and Mandzukic 34 in May (Higuain is old too), why on earth would Juve let a player with such a potential leave them being only 25 y.o.? 99% of the comments on here make Juve look dumb. Which they aren't.

Dybala is a very good player but not that special really. He is as overrated on here as Lukaku is underrated. The swap makes sense for Juve simply because they think that they are of similar quality in their respective positions. Otherwise they'd want Lukaku + 50m or something.
They apparently do want Lukaku + 20m.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rashford - Martial - Dybala*
De Gea​

That's how I would see the potential team sheet too.
I'm a big fan of a highly mobile and interchangable attack, and Dybala adds something different, bu I'm not convinced that Midfield will exert control though..

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I agree that he’s not a winger. However, that does not mean he can’t “start” there in a formation.

Going off his track record, he tends to drift there anyways. Hypothetically if we got Bruno+Dybala, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if let’s say he had to “start” on the RW. Doesn’t mean we are expecting him to play there as a literal RWer because Ole loves interchanging attacking players and it just so happens Dybala’s tendencies match up. Whoever the “RW” + CAM are would be criss-crossing anyways so I don’t really see anything to lose sleep over, especially considering it’s for Lukaku who’s not wanted here.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...-analysis-bruno-fernandes-sporting-statistics

And this is assuming both Bruno+Dybala are acquired. You can see why they would easily coexist as both have tendencies that suit the other. Just reading the last bit up top, Raphinha does the same thing Dybala does with his tendencies...and if only Dybala is had and not Bruno, then it’s obvious he would “start” in the 10 spot even though it wouldn’t mean a whole lot as he’d still play the same way other than “starting off” in his more natural spot.

Cheers, and as you can see I’m fully invested on the hype train!
There's a hell of a difference between drifting on the flank and being a winger. Inability to understand the difference to that is what saw a decline in Dybala's performance throughout the past years in the same way we've seen Rashford struggling when he was placed in that same situation.

Now lets say we buy Dybala and Bruno. Bruno is best utilised as no 10 just behind the strikers. Play him as a LW or as a CM and he'll become less efficient (ex at Sampdoria). Dybala is either a shadow striker or a striker. At best he's a trequartista. Similarly to Bruno he can play in a different role but he'll start losing his efficiency. So how on earth can we fit them both?

Well in my opinion, we should look at our forward line first. We've got Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Dybala and Greenwood there aka strikers who drift on the flank. As said, Bruno is most suited as no 10, while Pogba is most suited in a 3 men CM while partnered with a box to box midfielder (Vidal at Juve/Mctominay at United?) and a Pirlo type of player. We don't have that guy so Matic will have to suffice. Considering how flanks kind of suck (runner from the championship, Jesse, Mata, Young, Sanchez whom btw is more comfortable upfront) then Id guess no one will really miss not having wingers.

Now lets have a look at defence. We've got two FBs who are defensively sound (Shaw and AWB), hopefully we'll sign a CB and we've got Lindelof. That should, on paper, be a solid defensive unit which is good enough not to need being helped by wingers backtracking.

So how should we play? Id say a diamond 4-4-2 system is the answer.

Defence: AWB-----Smalling-----Maguire-------Shaw. Its a hell of a solid unit, with AWB/Shaw closing the flanks and Smalling + Maguire winning any cross coming their way. Maguire will be the brains, Smalling will provide the pace alongside AWB.

Midfield: Matic will conduct the orchestra from the back, bringing more inches in the CB if we find ourselves being bombarded by crosses. Pogba can easily play as mezzala, a role he covered superbly at Juventus. He'll be doing what he does with us while keeping an eye to the Left flank. Mctominay will be a more hardworking/less talented version of Pogba on the RCM side.

FWD: Bruno will play as no 10, exploiting the spaces left by Dybala (Right sided striker) and Rashford (left sided striker). Meanwhile Rashford and Dybala will be strikers who'll help up the flanks when defending while moving swiftly to position when attacking. Its similar to the system Juventus used against us when they won 1-0 (Dybala goal)

So in defense we go in a 4-5-1- formation with Rashford and Dybala helping on the flanks & Bruno acting as a false 9. When attacking it goes into a diamond 4-4-2 system with Dybala, Rashy and Bruno bombarding the defence.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's just a deal that is convenient for both teams. Juventus were trying to sign Icardi for some time so instead of that they will sign Lukaku. They will let go Dybala who won't fit Sarri's tactical plans. ManUtd can get rid of player who doesn't fit how Ole wants to play.

Regarding other clubs.
Serie A - He won't sign for any other clubs

PL - Spurs were linked but they won't pay him huge wages and also the deal is a swap one, so we are ahead.
Chelsea are banned, Arsenal have spent big on other players. Liverpool and City don't need him

La Liga - Big 2 have spent money already and both clubs don't play with AM/SS.

French League - Only PSG is the option.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Imagine this place when we dont make any of the three heavily linked signings of Bruno, Maguire and Dybala :(
Maguire I'd be the one most gutted about there tbh. I was really looking forward to the season before the Dybala stuff and Di Marzio name checking Fernandes

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
They apparently do want Lukaku + 20m.
I’d give them Lukaku+£50m no joke either.

Not exactly sure what Lukaku has done to maintain his transfer fee from 2 years ago but I’m not asking questions.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Depending on opposition a diamond 4-4-2 would be interesting too..

--------------De Gea-----------------
-AWB----McGuire----Lindelöf------Shaw--
------------------McT-------------------
-------Bruno--------------Pogba--------
-----------------Dybala------------------
------Rashford-----------Martial-----------

It lacks width yes, but through the middle that looks pretty damn good!
But we would surely be defensively crap! Bruno, Pogba and Dybala like getting forward. All three would want to occupy that AM position at the same time.

Sambob

This next week could be as muppet tastic as the Falcao end of transfer window or even the Berba midnight smuggle. I almost wouldnt care how well the season turns out, we would have a great looking team, and it would definitely be job done for Ole and Ed in terms of the beginning of the transformation they wanted to make.

AlexUTD

Strange opinion tbh. Dybala is far more talented, more proven, much higher ceiling, more dynamic, less likely to flop, addresses our potential goalscoring issues and should give us what we need in the attack. In an attacking sense, he's basically as good as what we could possibly do this summer because of his potential to be one of the best in the world. Fernandes is good, but nowhere near Dybala level or potential, and has a lot more risks associated with him (along with basically playing the same position).
Dybala cannot play CM wich is a position that needs strengthening, Bruno can.

Dybala is too slow to play RW.

We need to buy players that gives the team more balance and a CB, DM, CM or RW would do that, not a 10 or a false 9.

K13

I think he is a great player. He nicks the ball away from the defender and his pace off the mark buys a yard. So defenders look like they need to be on the back foot for him to really thrive which he has had at Juve. I feel we have got that type of player already.

I would have loved it if we had got Saul Niiguez or even Eriksen as both seem to be able to see the move in their head to enable us to be more threatening in the final third as they disrupt the defensive shape of the opposition giving forward players a better platform to use their skillset. Fernandes would also be my preference as I think he has shown he can do that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.