Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffthered

Why does a South American playing in Italy give a toss about what United have done in the past? It's a small carrot at best. The present is far more important, and rightly so.
Dybala would add something, but this deal just seems somewhat desperate. Does he want to leave Juventus, and sign for Manchester United?

I very, very, very much doubt it. So that's not a great start.

This is Angel Di Maria all over again.

This sort signing excites people who are easily drawn in by headlines.

I like Dybala, but this just seems temporary, lacking strategy, and wrong.

Stacks

Signing Dybala and then playing him on the right would be a waste of time. We're not going to sign Fernandes if we sign Dybala, he'll just play at the tip of the midfield where Fernandes would've played. You won't fit them in the same side so there's little use trying.
agreed. I am not sure which one I would prefer but Dybala is actually a second striker as opposed to AMC

IhabX7

Probably. But for lesser players it's a risk. Signing big name players and shoehorning them into the side hasn't worked recently for us. Di Maria worked for 6 months until he gave up. Now Dybala could be a completely different story, but next year we could be shackled with an underperfoming player on high wages that has no real place in the team. I can see why the pessimism exists.
So we've been bit a few times, does that mean we should buy youngsters with potential they might or might not fulfill while we're struggling to get into the top 4? Big name players are big name players for a reason, they are the ones that can transform a team.

Treble

210k a week after tax? He will sign if Woody agrees to that. Maybe even for 180k a week after tax. Would still be one of the best paid players on the planet.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Maybe the Portuguese press were right all along and we were in for a certain Bruno?

Nick7

So we've been bit a few times, does that mean we should buy youngsters with potential they might or might not fulfill while we're struggling to get into the top 4? Big name players are big name players for a reason, they are the ones that can transform a team.
I don't necessarily agree with what I said, but I can see why it's there.

What I think is, we shouldn't sign players that don't want to be here just because they're available.

rotherham_red

Re the wages, maybe Darmian and Lukaku leaving and their wages would cover any shortfall?

It still boggles my mind that we gave the likes of Rojo, Jones, and Smalling a fecking contract whereas if we just let them leave, we'd have had no issues in agreeing such terms.

Woody is such an idiot.

Garebo

No, I don't like this deal. We don't need a second striker and Fernandes is a better attacking midfielder than Dybala and of course cheaper. Swap Lukaku+Darmian for Skriniar ffs.

Alabaster Codify7

Now that this is looking bizarrely likely to happen, despite my massive reservations about the signing, we do appear to have somehow upgraded on Lukaku albeit with a different style of player.

How do people feel we will line-up with Dybala?

Would it be:

-------Rashy-------
Martial--Dybala---Lingard

?

Because I'm shuddering at the thought of Pogba in a two-man midfield/pivot alongside Matic or McTominay. The former is done. The latter too limited. If we had a N'golo Kante I'd be confident of that formation succeeding but we frankly dont.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Now that this is looking bizarrely likely to happen, despite my massive reservations about the signing, we do appear to have somehow upgraded on Lukaku albeit with a different style of player.

Would it be:

-------Rashy-------

?

Because I'm shuddering at the thought of Pogba in a two-man midfield/pivot alongside Matic or McTominay. The former is done. The latter too limited. If we had a N'golo Kante I'd be confident of that formation succeeding but we frankly dont.
I'm sure the bench is a better place for Lingard

IhabX7

I don't necessarily agree with what I said, but I can see why it's there.

What I think is, we shouldn't sign players that don't want to be here just because they're available.
That's an assumption that has no basis but the low self esteem the fanbase has dragged itself into in the past few years. Same with Di Maria, he came in fully intent on being great for us. Some things happened along the way and he couldn't handle it. The popular simplistic rewriting of the chain of events that unfolded with Di Maria is just fan melodrama.

ThinkTank@Cafe

We are not for Bruno if we are getting Dybala, I guess. Never seen him play. From what I read about him, he’s what we need to fill N10 role. Our Argentine players track record is disastrous though.

ryan_forlan

Gullible

Would it be:

-------Rashy-------

?

Either,
-james-----------rashford-------dybala
or
-------martial-------------rashford------
-----------------dybala-------------------

dove

Would it be:

-------Rashy-------

?

My JLingz shall always play.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Probably. But for lesser players it's a risk. Signing big name players and shoehorning them into the side hasn't worked recently for us. Di Maria worked for 6 months until he gave up. Now Dybala could be a completely different story, but next year we could be shackled with an underperfoming player on high wages that has no real place in the team. I can see why the pessimism exists.
But you could say that for every player with a solid track record, they are not going to be cheap. The pessismism is frankly ridiculous because it doesn't even stop there, when we are linked to upcoming players people complain because they don't have track records, when we are linked to good players in smaller leagues people lose it because the player is a farmer, part time mechanics, welsh or too cheap.

The reality is that most of the caf is made of whiny little creatures, nothing pleases them.

settembrini

You think Solskjaer wouldn't want Dybala? cmon! He's far more of his type of player than Lukaku was.
I think almost every manager would want Dybala. He's class and obviously if United are in talks with him then Solskjaer must have given it the okay.

But it's simply true that Dybala doesn't fit with what Solskjaer has talked about wanting from United players (pace, workrate) while he fits perfectly with what Woodward wants (superstars that will keep sponsors happy/attract new ones and generate social media buzz).

So it feels like a signing that Woodward will have pushed for and Solskjaer went along with while James and Wan-Bissaka felt like signings Solskjaer pushed for and Woodward went along with.

MrSingh2002

I'd prefer Fernandes if it is to be one or the other.

I'd only want Dybala if we we're getting both.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Would it be:

-------Rashy-------

?

99% sure that would be the lineup.people hate Lingard but he'd provide balance to the other 3 and with Pogba in midfield. Plus versatile enough to go from wings, to #10, to a midfield 3. Martial and Dybala would have license to roam and drift around, Rashford would be his usual self while Lingard would balance them in terms of work rate/defensive cautiousness and linking the midfield to the attack.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I think almost every manager would want Dybala. He's class and obviously if United are in talks with him then Solskjaer must have given it the okay.

But it's simply true that Dybala doesn't fit with what Solskjaer has talked about wanting from United players (pace, workrate) while he fits perfectly with what Woodward wants (superstars that will keep sponsors happy/attract new ones and generate social media buzz).

So it feels like a signing that Woodward will have pushed for and Solskjaer went along with while James and Wan-Bissaka felt like signings Solskjaer pushed for and Woodward went along with.
In the admittedly few games I have watched I can see nothing wrong with his workrate to be fair.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In the admittedly few games I have watched I can see nothing wrong with his workrate to be fair.
There is nothing wrong with it, it's as real as Wan Bissaka being offensively useless.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd prefer Fernandes if it is to be one or the other.

I'd only want Dybala if we we're getting both.
Strange opinion tbh. Dybala is far more talented, more proven, much higher ceiling, more dynamic, less likely to flop, addresses our potential goalscoring issues and should give us what we need in the attack. In an attacking sense, he's basically as good as what we could possibly do this summer because of his potential to be one of the best in the world. Fernandes is good, but nowhere near Dybala level or potential, and has a lot more risks associated with him (along with basically playing the same position).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We are not for Bruno if we are getting Dybala, I guess. Never seen him play. From what I read about him, he’s what we need to fill N10 role. Our Argentine players track record is disastrous though.
Always amuses me when I read this. Fair enough for Daniel James or Roy Carroll when you signed him from Wigan in league 1 years back but Serie A is hardly some backwater league and he played for Argentina in the copa america a few weeks back.

Oh and he played twice and scored the winner in one of them v Man. United in CL last season.

Unless you're running a business or a family and don't have time there is believe it or not some decent football to watch outside of the premier league.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Bruno of course which would be more understandable.

Nick7

That's an assumption that has no basis but the low self esteem the fanbase has dragged itself into in the past few years. Same with Di Maria, he came in fully intent on being great for us. Some things happened along the way and he couldn't handle it. The popular simplistic rewriting of the chain of events that unfolded with Di Maria is just fan melodrama.
Yeah Di Maria was great for us for 6 months, but lets be honest, he did want to go to PSG before us. It's no surprise he went there the following season and has been pretty good for them.

I'm also not saying Dybala doesn't want to join btw I honestly don't know. But it does seem that he would prefer to stay at Juve.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'd be very wary about the potential for him being played in position(s) where he's not best suited, but given the chronic lack of goals in our side, buying him could be a brilliant move if it works out. We all know that there are going to be good stretches of the season where Rashford won't score and having someone else who is proven to be able to get goals will take the pressure off.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Always amuses me when I read this. Fair enough for Daniel James or Roy Carroll when you signed him from Wigan in league 1 years back but Serie A is hardly some backwater league and he played for Argentina in the copa america a few weeks back.

Oh and he played twice and scored the winner in one of them v Man. United in CL last season.

Unless you're running a business or a family and don't have time there is believe it or not some decent football to watch outside of the premier league.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Bruno of course which would be more understandable.
Woah, chill out dude

stepic

bring in Dybala this year, Sancho next.

----------Rash
Martial--Dybala--Sancho
----Pogba---McT

let the good times roll

dove

Strange opinion tbh. Dybala is far more talented, more proven, much higher ceiling, more dynamic, less likely to flop, addresses our potential goalscoring issues and should give us what we need in the attack. In an attacking sense, he's basically as good as what we could possibly do this summer because of his potential to be one of the best in the world. Fernandes is good, but nowhere near Dybala level or potential, and has a lot more risks associated with him (along with basically playing the same position).
I would love us to get Dybala but this part is not really true. His goalscoring record is not very impressive to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.