Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac Asimov

Some of these alleged United fans in this forum - do you really support the club? You denigrate the club's history, pedigree and standing at every opportunity. Players and fans come and go, the club remains. I doubt if you're United fans at all, or crawl around here to troll genuine supporters?
Nail on the head.

Cman

Got excited when I first heard of this but the more I read and here the more fearful I am. Don’t claim to know much about him but if he’s not been on our radar before and he’s only going to come if we give him bucket loads of money then maybe he’s not going to be a good fit. Thought our new transfer policy was going away from the mercenaries that have crippled us lately ?! We sell to inter we have 60-70 mil to invest in players we have identified all along. Better to hold out for players that will be a good fit that getting another mercenary. When Klopp couldn’t get VVD he didn’t go spend a fortune or another cb did he?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah same, just like Sanchez, and Di Maria before that, and Falcao before that.

Welcome to Old Trafford, where nothing can possib-lie go wrong.
Sanchez = past it physically
Di Maria = polar opposite to the managers play style and mentality
Falcao = 8 months after ACL surgery while being old while have RvP and Rooney

Dybala = 25 years old, no big injuries and good record of staying fit, fits in the formation and system we'll play, suits fast paced counter attacking style of play.

Also good chance it makes Pogba happier to stay here longer, especially if we improve a lot on the pitch.

Stacks

come to think of it, Dybala can play CF and has scored goals there so maybe he will replace Rashford. Ideally he could do the Mo Salah role but I doubt Ole is ready for that level of tactics

Big Andy

Bloke
Got excited when I first heard of this but the more I read and here the more fearful I am. Don’t claim to know much about him but if he’s not been on our radar before and he’s only going to come if we give him bucket loads of money then maybe he’s not going to be a good fit. Thought our new transfer policy was going away from the mercenaries that have crippled us lately ?! We sell to inter we have 60-70 mil to invest in players we have identified all along. Better to hold out for players that will be a good fit that getting another mercenary. When Klopp couldn’t get VVD he didn’t go spend a fortune or another cb did he?
I'm sorry but this "mercenary" shit does my head in...

How is he a mercenary? He actively wants to stay at Juventus, but they want to sell him for whatever reason. That makes him loyal, rather than a mercenary.

A mercenary follows the money and only the money.

Gee Male

Does averaging 20 goals a season for 3 years in a row not count for anything? Last year he was moved around to accommodate Ronaldo.
I guess you're discounting last season and including the previous 3 seasons in that, yes?

Because discounting last season, Lukaku had 20+ for the four previous seasons and still didn't fit in at United.

I'm just not sure how we accommodate Dybala.

Gee Male

Sanchez = past it physically
Di Maria = polar opposite to the managers play style and mentality
Falcao = 8 months after ACL surgery while being old while have RvP and Rooney

Dybala = 25 years old, no big injuries and good record of staying fit, fits in the formation and system we'll play, suits fast paced counter attacking style of play.

Also good chance it makes Pogba happier to stay here longer, especially if we improve a lot on the pitch.
Where does Dybala fit into our system? Genuinely don't see it - we don't play with a 10 when Pogba plays, he's not a 9 and it looks like Rashford is going to be our 9 anyway, and he's not a winger.

Where do you see it work?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

How is he a mercenary? He actively wants to stay at Juventus, but they want to sell him for whatever reason. That makes him loyal, rather than a mercenary.

Agreed, he's not a mercenary and this has been shown in his actions. What a signing this could be.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I guess you're discounting last season and including the previous 3 seasons in that, yes?

Because discounting last season, Lukaku had 20+ for the four previous seasons and still didn't fit in at United.

I'm just not sure how we accommodate Dybala.
Except Lukaku is a lead striker expected to score goals while the AM scoring 20+ goals is a bonus. Didn’t he play behind Morata, Manduzic and Higuain and outscore all of them or did I read that wrong?

Nick7

Where does Dybala fit into our system? Genuinely don't see it - we don't play with a 10 when Pogba plays, he's not a 9 and it looks like Rashford is going to be our 9 anyway, and he's not a winger.

We've played with a 10 and Pogba all pre-season. Pogba has been playing deeper in a 2. Rashford has played both up top and out wide too this pre-season.

Gee Male

Except Lukaku is a lead striker expected to score goals while the AM scoring 20+ goals is a bonus. Didn’t he play behind Morata, Manduzic and Higuain and outscore all of them or did I read that wrong?
Fair enough re the AM point. I'd consider him a second striker more than AM but that's not to take away from your point.

Do you think we can fit Pogba, Rashford and Dybala in, all playing centrally?

If not, my view is that this is a bit of a luxury signing when we have much more pressing issues in midfield.

Mr Smith

Struggling to think what are his best attributes. I only know he has a solid left peg.
- Absolutely top class finisher.
- Ability to create something from nothing with limited space (see multiple curled finishes from outside the area).
- Excellent close control and ability to turn/beat players in tight areas.
- Excellent set piece taker.
- Great at drawing players towards him by dribbling from deep areas, creating space for others.
- Surprisingly decent long passer.

May have missed some things but those have stood out for me from watching him in CL/highlight videos. Not seen much of him in the league for Juventus admittedly.

GoldanoGraham

Don’t worry - this is a smokescreen

They are now reporting Mandzukic rather than Dybala in the deal.....

Can u just imagine the reaction.....Holy Shite!

Gee Male

We've played with a 10 and Pogba all pre-season. Pogba has been playing deeper in a 2. Rashford has played both up top and out wide too this pre-season.
Wd have? Who has been playing 10 then? Are you sure you don't mean a RW cutting into the centre?

poleglass red

mercenary isn't the right word, but people are certainly right to question his desire to actually want to come here.The Di Maria fiasco is still very fresh, another big player whose club didn't want him. This lad could work out differently, we don't know, but people are certainly right to query it. It's difficult to be somewhere you've no great desire to be at no matter how much you are getting paid. He's previous experience with Pogba, we aren't sure if he is even staying, perhaps a lot rides on that as well.

Nick7

Wd have? Who has been playing 10 then? Are you sure you don't mean a RW cutting into the centre?
Lingard, mostly. Lingard was ahead of Matic and McTominay yesterday. Pereira played higher than Pogba and McTominay against Spurs. Lingard ahead of Matic and Pogba against Inter. I'm sure there's more. But Pogba has been playing deep and certainly not near the #10 role in pre season.

Granted, Lingard and Pereira can "do a job" in midfield. Jury is out on whether Dybala can, I see him as more of a second striker. But yeah Pogba has not been playing #10, and Rashford hasn't solely been playing up top.

Pace Abuser

I'm excited about this transfer but I have massive reservations about what it's about to do to our balance.
We are buying a 9.5 rather than a 10.5 that would be Bruno and better for our balance with an added goalscoring rw.

acnumber9

We have done throughout all of pre season though so it seems obvious that’s Solskjaer is changing formation.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Can't help but feel that the way the press are framing this is they are priming up for a big let down to get a few kicks in at United, it'll also spice up the sort of nascent new protests that the media will jump on for clicks etc.

Gee Male

Lingard, mostly. Lingard was ahead of Matic and McTominay yesterday. Pereira played higher than Pogba and McTominay against Spurs. Lingard ahead of Matic and Pogba against Inter. I'm sure there's more. But Pogba has been playing deep and certainly not near the #10 role in pre season.

Granted, Lingard and Pereira can "do a job" in midfield. Jury is out on whether Dybala can, I see him as more of a second striker. But yeah Pogba has not been playing #10, and Rashford hasn't solely been playing up top.
Ok I get you now. I agree re Dybala as a second striker, and would have serious doubts over his ability to play the role Lingard played. I'd also hate the thought of Pogba plus McTominay behind a second striker like Dybala, we would be taken apart in the middle of the pitch.

But I do understand you're point now, thanks

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Fair enough re the AM point. I'd consider him a second striker more than AM but that's not to take away from your point.

Do you think we can fit Pogba, Rashford and Dybala in, all playing centrally?

If not, my view is that this is a bit of a luxury signing when we have much more pressing issues in midfield.
It’s a helluva of a long season. Depth is good. Look at Barca and City for example. We aren’t shoehorning him. We are replacing an outgoing player with him.

Also Martial and Rashford aren’t going to play every game. They have been inconsistent in the past. And what did we do last year? Bring in Lukaku who is even more inconsistent. Now we have the option of using Dybala to start alongside Rashford up top and bring on Martial as an impact sub when he isn’t performing or vice versa with Martial up top and brining on Rashford as a sub.

Rashford - Dybala

Pogba

Fred - Scott

Matic​

Nick7

Ok I get you now. I agree re Dybala as a second striker, and would have serious doubts over his ability to play the role Lingard played. I'd also hate the thought of Pogba plus McTominay behind a second striker like Dybala, we would be taken apart in the middle of the pitch.

But I do understand you're point now, thanks
Yeah he's a very different player than the ones we have been playing there recently. It would be interesting against weaker teams. But yeah against a top tier midfield, we would struggle.

I'm also not really sure where he would fit to be quite honest. I'd like him here, but I don't think he would come and don't think we can properly fit him in.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Yeah we do, as we have done all pre-season.

Litch

Some of these alleged United fans in this forum - do you really support the club? You denigrate the club's history, pedigree and standing at every opportunity. Players and fans come and go, the club remains. I doubt if you're United fans at all, or crawl around here to troll genuine supporters?
Absolutely. Crazy that people that arent utd fans recognise our standing in world football more than our own fans do. People asking why would a player join the club, like they are leaving to join Wigan. Look at the attendance on the tours if people want any understanding of our global appeal. Yes football is about winning trophies but it much more than that too.

UnitedObsession99

Ah yes... The Sun. The absolute fountain of all transfer knowledge. If they say it, it's completely true, well all know they're the pinnacle of truth and honesty.

Dicks back in guys! The Sun have spoken :rolleyes:
How about reading the article...

It has nothing to do with the sun and all to do with Paulo's instagram liking a comment about staying at Juve. That said it could be a like for the love of Paulo! And could be someone who runs his twitter who doesn't want him to leave.

The bit about not agreeing a salary is more concerning. Would be typical of United to dive at the hurdle, rather than over it!

redshaw

Hope he signs but he could feature heavily for Juve when Ronaldo goes and probably sooner if Sarri is gone before.

While I've not been that impressed or given in to the hype of Juve last season to be CL winners or the season before, they're still well in contention to win the CL and they've now got De Ligt plus others. It's a lot to lose unless you're told in a 4-3-3 others will play on the right or in an advanced central midfield role.

I've also read Sarri say he wants Dybala to stay a week or two ago.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
How about reading the article...

It has nothing to do with the sun and all to do with Paulo's instagram liking a comment about staying at Juve. That said it could be a like for the love of Paulo! And could be someone who runs his twitter who doesn't want him to leave.
He also liked a post about teaming up with Pogba again. So...

Status
Not open for further replies.