Pelé | Netflix documentary

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What’s it about?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I saw it. It was nice. It definitely showed the impact Pelé had on all of Brazil as much more than a footballer. He's always been a bit of a joke as a commentator, but he's a also geniuenly nice guy.

Hoof the ball

I liked the banter with his old team mates. They were a good laugh.
Absolutely. That was funny, yet heartwarming.

Weird to think that Ronaldo has YT videos of him doing his chop skill, only to see videos of Pele pulling it off in games as early as 1959!

It's easy to take for granted just how good Pele was.

3 WC wins out of 4.
He was scoring for fun back during a period in time when statistically numbers weren't what they are in the modern game, as well as being hampered by hindrances that players as early as the 80's never had to endure. His Santos team was routinely mugging off the best teams in Europe.

There are things that he'd do in-game, right from the late 50's that didn't become a 'thing' in much later down the line. Pioneer.

RooneyLegend

Absolutely. That was funny, yet heartwarming.

Weird to think that Ronaldo has YT videos of him doing his chop skill, only to see videos of Pele pulling it off in games as early as 1959!

It's easy to take for granted just how good Pele was.

3 WC wins out of 4.
He was scoring for fun back during a period in time when statistically numbers weren't what they are in the modern game, as well as being hampered by hindrances that players as early as the 80's never had to endure. His Santos team was routinely mugging off the best teams in Europe.

There are things that he'd do in-game, right from the late 50's that didn't become a 'thing' in much later down the line. Pioneer.
In reality he won 2 out of 3, barely played in 1962 due to injury. That is Garrincha's tournament that he basically won by himself. Scoring for fun was a thing in those days, football has basically come full circle where now the focus is more on attacking again.

Very few of the skills that became famous later on were around for a long time. For example, in the final in 58, 38 year old Gunnar Gren was showing great ability on the ball, more so than Didi which had me in shock when I realized how old he was.

Eddy_JukeZ

No footballer will ever have the impact he did on an entire country.

The GOAT.

Tarrou

just randomly remembered that Fantasy Football League segment 'does Pele shag around?'

I bet he does

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Anyone watched this yet?

Really enjoyed it. Some good interviews, great restored footage. A really nice portrait.

It’s good, but there are better documentaries about him. Pele Eterno (Pele Forever) for example is much more in depth about his remarkable career. Anyone who researches his career properly will come to the conclusion that he has the best ‘GOAT’ argument by far

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'd say that as a documentary it certainly lacked an edge — they've evaded pretty much all of the potentially controversial topics aside from briefly discussing that Pelé could've done more politically with his kind of influence. Every movie (documentary and fiction) needs a conflict, and this movie had none. The football aspect was also quite basic (which is usually the case in Netflix's football stuff). Some fantastic footage though.

Red Stone

Definitely one of the top three footballers ever to come out of Ghana.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I'd say that as a documentary it certainly lacked an edge — they've evaded pretty much all of the potentially controversial topics aside from briefly discussing that Pelé could've done more politically with his kind of influence. Every movie (documentary and fiction) needs a conflict, and this movie had none. The football aspect was also quite basic (which is usually the case in Netflix's football stuff). Some fantastic footage though.
That is because Pelé came from a very simple poor rural upbringing, descendant of slaves and without any means to go to school or politicize himself.

They also made it clear in the doc, he was not in a western democracy, if he spoke out about the dictatorship during that era he would simply be jailed and tortured.

harms

Staff
That is because Pelé came from a very simple poor rural upbringing, descendant of slaves and without any means to go to school or politicize himself.

They also made it clear in the doc, he was not in a western democracy, if he spoke out about the dictatorship during that era he would simply be jailed and tortured.
I’m not accusing him of anything, but the creators of this film didn’t try to highlight the potential issue (or any issue, really) and instead simply gave us Pelé’s version of events — and that goes to the whole narrative of the movie. For me, a good documentary should, at least, attempt to do an objective and critical overview of the matter in hand, this movie didn’t.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I’m not accusing him of anything, but the creators of this film didn’t try to highlight the potential issue (or any issue, really) and instead simply gave us Pelé’s version of events — and that goes to the whole narrative of the movie. For me, a good documentary should, at least, attempt to do an objective and critical overview of the matter in hand, this movie didn’t.
Well they did touch upon his marital affairs and lack of speaking up about political situation in Brazil which was better than nothing I suppose.

harms

Staff
Well they did touch upon his marital affairs and lack of speaking up about political situation in Brazil which was better than nothing I suppose.
Did I cheat? Yeah, a bunch of times... proceeds to bang on his shoe-polish thingy. Not exactly a top-notch investigative journalism there :lol:

Basso

Watched My name is Francesco Totti documentary yesterday. Liked it more than the Pele doc.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Did I cheat? Yeah, a bunch of times... proceeds to bang on his shoe-polish thingy. Not exactly a top-notch investigative journalism there :lol:
:lol: The way he said it though - gave zero fecks - insight into his cold persona. Well at least he admitted it, so wasn’t painting himself as a saint.

Hoof the ball

:lol: The way he said it though - gave zero fecks - insight into his cold persona. Well at least he admitted it, so wasn’t painting himself as a saint.
I don't know about that. He's admitting to something far after the fact. 40 plus years afterwards, you can hardly expect warm recall. :lol:

Plus, he's crying his eyes out over being on the bus and hearing the Brazil fans going into the last game versus Italy. Not exactly a cold persona thing to do!

I found him warm; his moments spent with his friends and teammates showed that. In fact, it's a side of Pele that we don't see in his public appearances. He was funny and warm.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Definitely gonna check this out. There is a Maradona one on Amazon too isn’t there? I’ve been getting more & more interested about players from before my time lately. Watched a piece on Garrincha recently, fascinating little player.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Will be watching this later today. I abosulately love watching these types of documents.

galwayfa

Watching the documentary, players that were around Santos and Brazil in 1958 and are on this have aged better than Pele, Pele was 18 so these were a few years older,