Penalties at Old Trafford

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
As we all saw, today's game saw the usual pattern of the recent months repeat itself, as United had several strong penalty claims turned down.

I am starting this thread to see if the others share my belief that referees, for whatever reason, have become afraid to award United penalties at Old Trafford. I do not have any stats to back this up with, so I was wondering if anyone has something useful, ie. a comparison between how many penalties United and other teams around the same position in the table have gotten at home over the last year or so.

Seems very fishy, but I might just be paranoid...

Ryan7

Why would they be afraid?

I personally feel that they are just woeful. Whilst it's an extremely difficult job, some of the decisions they make are just mind boggling.

Man-United

We never get them anymore. Says it all that we have got ONE pen all season, should have had at least five that I know the likes of man city would have got at the so called Etihad.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Why would they be afraid?

I personally feel that they are just woeful. Whilst it's an extremely difficult job, some of the decisions they make are just mind boggling.
This is where I stand too. They've made awful decisions for and against us.

Bojan11

We never get them anymore. Says it all that we have got ONE pen all season, should have had at least five that I know the likes of man city would have got at the so called Etihad.
Don't forget Spurs who get one every game.

Kag

That 'tackle' on Martial was a stone wall penalty, too. The penalty area seems to be the only area on the pitch where players can wipe out players after the ball has been kicked and get away with it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
There's no conspiracy. They're all just shite. Well, maybe somewhere in their small little minds, they're subconsciously biased against us, but that's not a conspiracy. :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Other fans would say refs used to be scared into pens in Fergie's days, and that now refs don't feel that fear.

There has to be a bit of truth in this, in that refs are inclined to be a bit braver than they used to be, as Fergie was the master of making sure officials would be obliterated

Sad Chris

Our players aren't as small as the usual cheats (Sterling, Payet, Coutinho, etc.) and don't wrap themselves around the defenders while diving. And we don't complain all the time and hoard the refs.
Oh yeah, don't forget the Klopp- and Pep-Love compared to the horrible man called Mourinho.

Fitchett

There is a conspiracy and they are all corrupt. The PL referees have clearly made a pact to shaft Mourinho this season and United are losing out because of it.

The referees can do this, safe in the knowledge that the corrupt British media won't pick them up on it, that they will conveniently ignore any bad calls against United, whilst repeating over and over again any calls which go our way. BT Sport are the worst culprits for this. And of course, the referees know that the FA won't take any retrospective action against them, so they will be refereeing in the PL the following week and Howard Webb on BT Sport will be telling us what a wonderful job they are doing.

Oscie

We suffer from an overhang of the conspiracies during the Fergie era. Fans/media perpetrated this myth that we got all the decisions at Old Trafford to the point where I think referees think twice before giving us anything. A higher hurdle has been set just so they can avoid the criticism that they're biased towards us. If a decision does go our way, controversially, it's big news. That goal Spurs scored that was about 2 foot over the line but not allowed, that was discussed weekly for about 6 years. Every time we played there'd be mention of it.

Martin Tyler's the worse for that. One of our players will be fouled and he'll bring up an incident from 4 months earlier where the injured player committed a foul and wasn't booked. As if he keeps a mental note of all the times referees show leniency to us.

Decisions given wrongly in our favour are scrutinised more than those that go against us. And as soon as we get a decision or two in our favour the age old "Refs love United" or "Old Trafford bias" arguments come out in force.

The commentator on the game today, for example, had a jibe along the lines of "A united player has to be at least two yards offside before they're given offside", presumably because we got the decision with Micki's goal last week.

Similarly, look at the outrage over Rojo escaping the red cards or Pogba's dive, when we've been on the other end of similar decisions with barely a mention.

The sooner technology comes in the better for us because I think we're worse off at the moment having to rely on incompetent, blame-proof referees who are terrified to give a wrong decision in our favour for fear of being perceived as United-loving.

Reactions: Penna

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Our players aren't as small as the usual cheats (Sterling, Payet, Coutinho, etc.) and don't wrap themselves around the defenders while diving. And we don't complain all the time and hoard the refs.
Oh yeah, don't forget the Klopp- and Pep-Love compared to the horrible man called Mourinho.
I guess Ashley isn't playing much this season.

stevoc

An opposition defender could pull out a gun and shoot one of our players in the leg inside the box. And yeah the Ref would probably give us a pen, but reluctantly and only after consulting with the linesman just to make sure.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
There is a conspiracy and they are all corrupt. The PL referees have clearly made a pact to shaft Mourinho this season and United are losing out because of it.

The referees can do this, safe in the knowledge that the corrupt British media won't pick them up on it, that they will conveniently ignore any bad calls against United, whilst repeating over and over again any calls which go our way. BT Sport are the worst culprits for this. And of course, the referees know that the FA won't take any retrospective action against them, so they will be refereeing in the PL the following week and Howard Webb on BT Sport will be telling us what a wonderful job they are doing.
Shut up you absolute embarrassment

Djemba-Djemba

Decisions given wrongly in our favour are scrutinised more than those that go against us. And as soon as we get a decision or two in our favour the age old "Refs love United" or "Old Trafford bias" arguments come out in force.

The commentator on the game today, for example, had a jibe along the lines of "A united player has to be at least two yards offside before they're given offside", presumably because we got the decision with Micki's goal last week.

Similarly, look at the outrage over Rojo escaping the red cards or Pogba's dive, when we've been on the other end of similar decisions with barely a mention.

The sooner technology comes in the better for us because I think we're worse off at the moment having to rely on incompetent, blame-proof referees who are terrified to give a wrong decision in our favour for fear of being perceived as United-loving.
It's this.

Notice how there were loads of headlines after we beat Crystal Palace along the lines of "Lucky Utd steal points". They focused on how lucky we were in the 1st half instead of how unlucky we were in the 2nd half. If you'd not seen the game you'd have thought we were extremely fortunate all game and didn't deserve to win.

Stactix

Well theres been around 5-6 potential penalties in the last 3 games alone.

Stonewall handball at Palace. Stunned the ref did not see this.
Mata getting barged over, no attempt to play the ball.
Zlatan getting kicked twice.
Rashford pulled down, fans saying this isn't a penalty? How is he meant to do anything when thats happening to him, it is impeding him & its a foul anywhere else on the field.
Martial foul

Id say its not an exggeration to say Utd could of had 10 penalties & around 2-3 against us
If you turn that around where other teams had extremely similar penalty shouts against us. I bet atleast half would of been given.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That 'tackle' on Martial was a stone wall penalty, too. The penalty area seems to be the only area on the pitch where players can wipe out players after the ball has been kicked and get away with it.
He got his shot away so obviously he was just playing some kind of pre-foul advantage to Martial.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Refs were accused of being in bed with Fergie. What we are seeing, is a concerted effort to show Man Utd no longer get any preferential treatment. Whether it is deliberate or not, it has the same effect. Referees feel they are under less pressure to give us decisions, so they take the easy way out.

Stookie

Nurse bell end

Come on mate, you sound like Blue Moon. Don't lower yourself to their standards.

BIGbadBOO4

Simply Psychology, ref's don't get criticised or called out by the media for making poor calls against us. So ref's know they can ignore calls as no consequences. Mason was very very poor yesterday but nothing has really been said in the media. I have not seen Zlatan goal which was not given repeated every 30 seconds on sky like they would do if other way.

robinrooney

Totally agree with this. Also when Ibra scored, it was a coming together between him and Valdes. They were both going for the ball and there was contact. No way should it have been disallowed.

Skim through other club forums and they all think the refs are completely against them. In reality the current crop are just doing a really bad job, and the FA is creating a stick for its own back by refusing to hold them accountable or provide them with any help.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just incompetence tbh. It's not surprise Phil Mitchell didn't see the foul on martial, he couldn't even see the contact between Ibra and Valdes. He reffed what he saw after the incident.

He should be reprimanded for that performance.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not usually one to complain about refs but the standard this year has been abysmal.

RyRy11

Is anyone willing to make a list of all the potential penalties we could have received this season? I know some are borderline but I'm sure we've had at least 5 blatant pens not given so far.

carlosp

Just incompetence tbh. It's not surprise Phil Mitchell didn't see the foul on martial, he couldn't even see the contact between Ibra and Valdes. He reffed what he saw after the incident.

He should be reprimanded for that performance.
Don't you mean Lee Mason?

Irrational.

Is anyone willing to make a list of all the potential penalties we could have received this season? I know some are borderline but I'm sure we've had at least 5 blatant pens not given so far.
Just from the top of my head:

Bravo on Rooney (Game lost 1-2)
Monreal on Valencia (Game drew 1-1)
Flanagan on Darmian (Game drew 1-1)
The two stonewallers yesterday (Game won 2-1)

That's a potential 5 points just off the top of my head that we've been denied, which would put us third in the table.

It really has been infuriating watching the refereeing incompetence this season. They're such smug cnuts as well, which makes it worse.

OneUnited24

It really has been infuriating watching the refereeing incompetence this season. They're such smug cnuts as well, which makes it worse.
I understand the FA has to protect them as much as possible but when you see refs get it so wrong then get another high profile game the following week you have to ask why they arent accountable for their actions. The adage "its a hard job" can be said for any job, it doesnt mean you dont have to perform because you have a get out of jail free card...

lsd

The Oracle
It's been like this for years though it's always been a myth we get loads of penalties .. IV seen loads of stats baking up how far down the list we are are since the premiership began.

The problem is whenever we get one the media and other teams go overboard on it and make it seem we are getting the hem every week.

Fitchett

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You still have to score a penalty

Pointless harping on about refs missing fouls as they miss them all over the pitch (and award ones when they aren't)

Disallowing perfectly good goals on the other hand is an entirely different conversation

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Manchester Evening News have summarised it pretty well. Interesting to read Mark Noble's comments after Paul Pogba was booked for diving.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ws/man-utd-news-fixtures-ibrahimovic-12391431
Madness really. Bewildering amount of decisions have gone against us this season. For sure I think some refs like Atkinson are blatantly biased when officiating our games and have to consider Mason might be as well after his catalog of errors yesterday.

illReD

You still have to score a penalty

Pointless harping on about refs missing fouls as they miss them all over the pitch (and award ones when they aren't)

Disallowing perfectly good goals on the other hand is an entirely different conversation
No it's not. Not when those decisions are clear as day if the referee had the sufficient ability.
The hand ball Pawson didn't see should not be missed by Premier League level officials.
Bravo on Rooney.
Luiz escaping with a yellow for the challenge against Fellaini.
Monreal pulling Valencia down.
Mata's offside goal against pallace when he was over a yard onside.
Those are just five examples off the top of my head that are clear cut decisions that officials should be getting right. Half of them just aren't up to the task.. Lee Mason could barely keep up with fecking play yesterday.

Fitchett

As we all saw, today's game saw the usual pattern of the recent months repeat itself, as United had several strong penalty claims turned down.

I am starting this thread to see if the others share my belief that referees, for whatever reason, have become afraid to award United penalties at Old Trafford. I do not have any stats to back this up with, so I was wondering if anyone has something useful, ie. a comparison between how many penalties United and other teams around the same position in the table have gotten at home over the last year or so.

Seems very fishy, but I might just be paranoid...
These tables give a comparison of clubs by each season and also a year by year comparison for each club. They are bald statistics only, with no narrative as to the validity or otherwise of penalties given or not given. We are joint bottom of this season's table for penalties awarded and our total so far is our worst season to date (even accounting for the fact we are only half way through). And some posters on here think the majority of us are being paranoid .........

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html