'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Thunderhead

Supports
City
This is properly mental. Ederson is in with a shout for best keeper the league has ever seen. His save percentage is north of 75%. His pass completion is pushing 90%. He clicks up assists and key passes every season. He’s kept a clean sheet in 50% of his PL appearances. He’s better at everything than everyone.

He’s completely redefined goalkeeping (along with several others).
hence I said traditional sense, he's not a great shot stopper, he's rash in the box and gives away needles penalties, he's nowhere near the best keeper the league has ever seen but for distribution and the way City play they couldn't hope to have a better keeper.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
" City has a 2nd team that looks like Steffen, Egan Riley, Stones, Ake, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Gundogan, McAtee, Jesus, Sterling, Palmer which is inferior to what their rivals have "
These are title winning players. We don't have second string players as good. Wasn't Stones just brilliant last season? Our first choice CBs have never played that well. Those CMs are much better than our first choice ones. While I'd take Sancho on potential Sterling is better than any wide player we have.

Stones, (also Ake), Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Gundogan, (also Jesus) and Sterling are title winning players but they also play in a well-drilled system. They are all great players but how much would you pay for Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Ake if I wanted to sell them to you today? Fernandinho is 36 and his legs are gone. United and Chelsea have stronger second team but they're not in a well-drilled system under a coach like Pep for the past 4-5 years. But in Pep's well-drilled system, Zinchenko and Cole Palmer look world class and even Jesus looks better as a winger than he is in his natural role of striker.

Imagine your bench (which you deem "weaker") coached by Pep Guardiola for the past 5 years like Zinchenko was. (he doesn't even play in his natural position)

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
including the much riled Mendy who tore the premier league a new one in his first season before his recurring injuries probably caused by his lousy lifestyle.
Mendy only played 7 games (361 minutes) in his first season until September 25 and made 1 assist. The only thing he tore was his cruciate ligaments.

I agree with the rest of your post.. Gundogan also had a lengthy injury on his first season.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
England most successful club across the last 20 years. As many Champions Leagues as we’ve won in the last 40 years.

They have a different model but they win dickloads of trophies.
He does have a point though. In the first decade of Abramovich, when we were in title battles with United every year, the years we didn't we'd usually finish 2nd. In the second decade, the years we haven't won the title, we have ended up being way off the pace, nowhere near a title challenge, so there's much more of a yo-yo cup team who can occasionally win the title feel about the club now compared to pre-2011. Even if you include the first decade where we were more consistently good in the league, we have never had the kind of City-esque stranglehold domination of the league he's talking about.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
England most successful club across the last 20 years. As many Champions Leagues as we’ve won in the last 40 years.

They have a different model but they win dickloads of trophies.
Yes, but they never had one continuous dominate period other then Mou first season, does it work of course, but if they stood behind a WC manager longer, perhaps it would've been even more dominate.

All I'm saying is it's better for them to stick behind Tuchel now one of the few top modern day manager, with plenty of ideas and understanding of the game, instead of getting trigger happy back him a little more.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
I'd love to see Pep play that midfield with Morton and Ox because he can't afford KdB and Bernado's salaries. :rolleyes:
KDB's new wages are pretty high (which will be similar with Salah), but Bernardo Silva is currently on something like 150kpw, though City are preparing a new contract offer.

Why wouldn't Pep play Ox (I'm guessing Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain) ? And there's no reason to act like victim when it comes to your players, as if you're stuck with Ox. Liverpool purchased Ox for £35m. That's more than the £20m City paid for Gundogan. For £35m, Klopp could've bought someone like Gundogan.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
I am sorry but you can’t take credit for “making“ a player that cost €50 million. He currently has 12 players that cost more than that in his squad, with 3 more that cost more than €40.

This shouldn’t be a debate.
United have Maguire, Sancho, Fred, Varane, Van-Bissaka, Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Juan Mata, Anthony Martial who cost more than £40m and even Donny van de Beek cost £35m plus add-ons.
What you do with them is more important than what you paid for them and the price tag doesn't make a player unfairly better (Maguire and Mendy come to mind).

City spent 50m on garbage like Mendy but has Zinchenko play there who cost 1m.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I pointed out earlier that according to transfermarkt (which you can and should take with a grain of salt), City's tranfers were more overpriced than the other PL teams. The gap between what City paid for players and their "market value at debut" was like 300m.

Taken seriously, that would mean that either:

- Guardiola has improved players that weren't that good, but overpaid to get them.
- City has a method to detect the 'true value' of players, and they then pay their actual value for them, which looks 'overpriced' to the rest of the world. With these players of truly high value, they build PL-dominating teams.

Both of those are equally impressive.

sangria

I pointed out earlier that according to transfermarkt (which you can and should take with a grain of salt), City's tranfers were more overpriced than the other PL teams. The gap between what City paid for players and their "market value at debut" was like 300m.

Taken seriously, that would mean that either:

- Guardiola has improved players that weren't that good, but overpaid to get them.
- City has a method to detect the 'true value' of players, and they then pay their actual value for them, which looks 'overpriced' to the rest of the world. With these players of truly high value, they build PL-dominating teams.

Both of those are equally impressive.
There's also shadow payments that aren't in the FFP accounts, one section of the Man City portfolio sponsoring Man City to get around the FFP constraints, etc. Or buying Guardiola's brother a whole football club to play with to keep Guardiola happy, and so on.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
There's also shadow payments that aren't in the FFP accounts, one section of the Man City portfolio sponsoring Man City to get around the FFP constraints, etc. Or buying Guardiola's brother a whole football club to play with to keep Guardiola happy, and so on.
Pure guesswork and supposition isn't it?
Another factor to take into account when analysing City's outlay is the "rich club premium" which City, United and such as Barca have to put up with.
Traore at Wolves was being talked of as a 100m player when his stock was high and the big fish were interested but Wolves would probably take a fifth of that for him now (the time left on his contract is of course a factor in this).

sangria

It’s been investigated and no action taken.
I didn't know that our reading material is subject to statutory limits too. Do your titles under Mancini and Pellegrini expire too? Do all of United's titles also expire because of that statutory limit?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I didn't know that our reading material is subject to statutory limits too. Do your titles under Mancini and Pellegrini expire too? Do all of United's titles also expire because of that statutory limit?
What are you on about... whats it got to do with expiry? I smell alotta salt on this post.

sangria

What are you on about... whats it got to do with expiry? I smell alotta salt on this post.
Just because City's gang of lawyers managed to find a loophole saying that the evidence was not admissible to the tribunal due to being outside the time limit doesn't mean the evidence does not exist. City dragged things out, and that was the only reason the evidence fell outside that time limit. Ignore that limit, or if the tribunal took place as soon as the evidence was available, and City don't get cleared through that loophole.

In short, what the previous City fan said, that it's been investigated and no action taken, is misleading. City cheated FFP, and they continue to cheat via self-sponsoring and similar scams. And probably double payment like they did with Mancini.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think he might sign a new contract after seeing yesterday's presser on twitter

Cloud7

To win a league title against Pep you have to be near perfect. Literally every single dropped point is major in a title race with a Pep team. Nightmare for any team that have aspirations of competing for the league in the coming years if he stays.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If he signs a new contract at City, I think that may be his last contract in club football. Can definitely see him finishing his career in International football.

I've been long fascinated with what Pep could do to South American football, more so with Brazil as a nation.

Pep's Suit

Yeah, it sounds like Pep's ready to extend (1-2 years). Let's be hones, he has nowhere to go, for many reasons. Also if you look at City's squad then these are only players who are 31 or older this season: Walker 32, Fernandinho 37, Gundogan 31, Mahrez 31. So the rest should be able to perform for another 2-3 seasons minimum after this one.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah, it sounds like Pep's ready to extend (1-2 years). Let's be hones, he has nowhere to go, for many reasons. Also if you look at City's squad then these are only players who are 31 or older this season: Walker 32, Fernandinho 37, Gundogan 31, Mahrez 31. So the rest should be able to perform for another 2-3 seasons minimum after this one.
If that's so he's a bit of a coward, I can't deny he's a great manager but if he won't leave City because he's too scared to be at a club where he won't have unlimited funds then he's a high quality cheque book manager.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Why are people upset? Let me remind you if pep leaves, Klopp and Liverpool win the league at a canter. We need pep to stay for as long as Klopp is there.

Sigh what a sorry state of affairs for a United fan

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ten Hag probably told them he wouldn't prematurely quit his Ajax job.
Ten Hag is 90% certain to leave and, frankly, I think City are quite happy to continue with the best manager in world football at the present.

flameinthesun

Pep has stated many times in both spanish interviews and some english ones (the Rio/BT interview) that he is very happy at City. He does not have any of the political drama that he had at Bayern and Barca, the club is fully behind his vision, even when they miss out on winning the champions league the club are always behind him. But the most important thing he's also said before is he has a small spanish community in Manchester which includes txiki and others. So he gets to work with friends in a good atmosphere.

I can easily see him there for another 2-3 years. People talk about his failure to win the champs league as this huge failing. Maybe to the city fans and opposition fans its true, but I don't think it bothers pep as much. Hes won it 2 or 3 times already? So its not like a huge monkey on his back like say pool and the league. Also there are older interviews of his where he has been pretty consistent in saying he views the league as the true sign of a teams strength rather than cup competitions.

So unfortunately I reckon he'll be sticking around a lot longer than people think. I'd also out money down that we see Klopp leave before him.

AndySmith1990

The only positive of Pep staying at City for a few more years is it significantly reduces the chance of Liverpool overtaking our record. Hopefully by the time he's gone we've sorted ourselves out.

ShinjiNinja26

I’m not arsed if he stays a while longer as it prevents Liverpool winning the league. If Pep leaves before Klopp then that basically guarantees the scum another title. Sad state of affairs but United are miles off challenging for the league, our main priority right now is avoiding the dreaded Conference league.

SER19

Why would he leave. He's pumped a billion into this squad, can have a billion more if he likes. Strolling to another title. CL guaranteed. No reason to go

Dr. StrangeHate

Pure guesswork and supposition isn't it?
Another factor to take into account when analysing City's outlay is the "rich club premium" which City, United and such as Barca have to put up with.
Traore at Wolves was being talked of as a 100m player when his stock was high and the big fish were interested but Wolves would probably take a fifth of that for him now (the time left on his contract is of course a factor in this).
There is no speculation. City bought Pep's brother a club. Do you think it is a coincidence that they bought it for Pep's brother? Do you think Pep and his brother aren't getting minted from that? That is shadow payments in plain sight.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He'll go back Barcelona one day, he's only 51. I expect he'll stay in management for a while, maybe with sabbaticals mixed in every so often. Will get bored of City, eventually!

TheLord

The only positive of Pep staying at City for a few more years is it significantly reduces the chance of Liverpool overtaking our record. Hopefully by the time he's gone we've sorted ourselves out.
The more likely chance than sorting ourselves out is that lot entering into a 20-year-long bust phase of the "Scouse Boom-Bust" cycle, and therefore not overtaking our record.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
There is no speculation. City bought Pep's brother a club. Do you think it is a coincidence that they bought it for Pep's brother? Do you think Pep and his brother aren't getting minted from that? That is shadow payments in plain sight.
Factually incorrect.

Josh 76

The negative is city taking over UTD record

Thunderhead

Supports
City
" On 23 August 2017, it was announced City Football Group (CFG) had purchased 44.3% ownership in Girona. Another 44.3% was held by Girona Football Group, led by Pere Guardiola, the brother of CFG-owned Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola. "
So the post City bought Peps brother a football club is factually incorrect, what they have done is bought into a football club partly owned by Peps brother

Dr. StrangeHate

So the post City bought Peps brother a football club is factually incorrect, what they have done is bought into a football club partly owned by Peps brother
Factually incorrect.
So it is just a coincidence that the club they happen to buy was Pep's brother's.

When foreign dignitaries spent 100,000's of pounds in Trump's hotels, they were paying Trump in a way that looks kosher. The end result is they are paying Trump for favours. Buying the club this way is just making payments to Pep Kosher. It is the exact same thing as paying Pep.