'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pep comes to my flat and shags my roommate for 90 seconds. I play Russian music to put him off but it doesn't work.

Am I in the wrong?
You are, but if you offer him a good pie he may forgive you.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Project / legacy etc. A fecking challenge
How many top tier managers have actually done this? Especially in the last 15-20 years?

It’s like complaining to Eden Hazard for choosing Real Madrid instead of joining Real Valladolid.

JPRouve

Scout
How many top tier managers have actually done this? Especially in the last 15-20 years?

It’s like complaining to Eden Hazard for choosing Real Madrid instead of joining Real Valladolid.
None, and you don't have to limit it to the last 20 years either.

cyberman

Plenty of managers have managed less than star studded sides. Literally everybody else.

Edit even Hazard went to Chelsea when the elite were after him!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The football City have played over the last couple of years could not have been replicated by another manager. Their players aren’t even THAT good. No real Balon’Dor level contenders anyway, unlike Barcelona, where they were all the best in the world in their positions pretty much.

The City squad would not have won the league at United in the last 6/7 years I don’t think.

JPRouve

Scout
The football City have played over the last couple of years could not have been replicated by another manager. Their players aren’t even THAT good. No real Balon’Dor level contenders anyway, unlike Barcelona, where they were all the best in the world in their positions pretty much.

The City squad would not have won the league at United in the last 6/7 years I don’t think.
I like you but come on! it's Ballon d'or.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I like you but come on! it's Ballon d'or.
The spellcheck came up and I knew it was wrong, and despite being a grammar Police in real life, I chose to live on the edge this once!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I stopped reading after the OP said he took over the best team of all time.

Never knew finishing 10 points behind Villarreal was enough to earn such an accolode.

HJ12

It's hardly his fault he took over the Barca team when he did. He was a beneficiary of good timing with his first job, the success of which set him up for the rest of his career. Can't blame him for cherry picking the jobs he wanted subsequently - most would do the same in any career if there chances of success are enhanced by doing this. And he is clearly a good manager when given the right tools/cash. Others have spent lots and still been crap.

SER19

Is he though? He achieved the bare minimum at Barca given the unbelievable squad they had, and underachieved at Bayern. Given the ridiculous amount of money he's spent at Stockport City he should've got them a CL by now, especially with all the piss easy draws they've had.

I don't like Klopp, but his work at Dortmund and Liverpool is far more impressive than anything the Pep Guardiola is my idol has done.
I've said it before. He will win city a CL, its almost impossible not to given the spending he added to a side with de bruyne sterling silva and aguero in it.

Largely agree overall I expect his job after city will be psg or Juve, eventually returning to barca.

I agree its wrong to 'blame' him for taking attractive jobs but it's fair to point at other managers achieving things he hasn't. The only measure of how he does under pressure is when his three to four year bursts of success wane and that's only now really, as at the time the bayern job was a near guaranteed title.

Separately I don't like the words fraud or charlatan when describing players or managers. Doesn't carry much weight and sounds like an angry match day thread comment I think, but that's just my opinion.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's an incredible manager, imo. Regardless of money spent, the football he has his teams playing consistently is just amazing. Give any other manager the funds he has and I doubt any of them get City playing as well as he has on a consistent basis these past few years. If your club gets Pep you're pretty much guaranteed sparkly football and trophies.

Ainu

Being bald is not so bad, I shave my head every couple of weeks. I would love to be a fraud like Pep, seems like it's a lucrative business.

Zen86

He’s obviously a good manager, but he’s overrated. The guy has only ever inherited exceptional squads and players, and been allowed to consistently spend big regardless.

He would crack within 6 months if he had to take on an actual challenge, not that he ever will.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Every team he's ever managed has been the strongest and wealthiest in the league when he joined them. He took over the greatest Barca side of all time and was able to buy players like David Villa, Mascherano and Sanchez. Bayern were the reigning treble winners and he arguably took them backwards despite having the strongest squad in the league and easily the biggest cheque book. City were the best squad in the league when he arrived too, Kompany, Silva, KDB, Sterling, Aguero etc, all the pieces were already there and yet he's still spent over £500m there. They have £60m reserves ffs. Watch his next move, he'll continue his trajectory of taking over the strongest and richest team in the league, Juve or PSG, just watch.

You'll never see Guardiola taking on a project like Milan or Arsenal for example, he's a chequebook manager that only takes easy gigs. Complete and utter Pep Guardiola is my idol. He isn't a team builder, he's a monopoly manager, pass go and collect £200m to spend on fullbacks. You hear what this fraud was saying the other day? "We can't compete with Utd, Liverpool, Barca" etc, feck off you massive Pep Guardiola is my idol, you've got the highest net spend in Europe by about £200m.

Thoughts?
What does ”bald” have to do with anything? Did “fraud” not feel enough? :D Sounds like an unnecessary attack on appearance.

Now about the substance:
1. Personally, I really do not like Guardiola. I could even say that I pretty much despise him, but that has everything to do with his personality (e.g. Ibra conflict) and nothing with his professional abilities
2. Yes, Guardiola had strong teams in all three cases. So what? First of all, no team can just run itself. Even the most talented squad needs a good coach to function, let alone win major trophies. How was the City he inherited any better than League champion United that Moyes inherited? It was not. And then what happened?

Additionally, anybody who knows anything about football can easily see that he greatly improved Barca and completely transformed City. I don’t think he did a great job at Bayern, but he got acceptable enough results to not qualify as a flop.

In summary, no Guardiola is not a fraud, by any strech of imagination. He is annoying as feck and he is certainly overrated (in my opinion) but fraud? Hell no

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The Barca team he took over had finished below Villarreal the season before he started and then won the treble with them. The City team had finished level on points with our dog shit Van Gaal team before he had them getting 100 points within 2 years.

He’s definitely bald though you’re right.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He’s obviously a good manager, but he’s overrated. The guy has only ever inherited exceptional squads and players, and been allowed to consistently spend big regardless.

He would crack within 6 months if he had to take on an actual challenge, not that he ever will.
Yet the ironic thing is, managers who do take on "proper challenges" like Klopp, Sarri, Pochettino are apparently overrated because they don't win enough.

Seems a manager can't be top class unless they win with a shit team, oh wait Ranieri did that and no one rates him either.

So it begs the question, what does quantify a top manager?

Okey

Pep is the best coach in the world at present. Only problem (if one can call it that) is he can only coach at the very top. Elite level team and players or nothing. The thing is, what he produces with thag elite talent is second to none. So beautiful that we indulge him, if only to enjoy the spectacle ourselves. Life is like that I guess. There's managers who can coach plucky average players with spirit to admirable standards but will flop if put amongst elite players. I don't actually like Pep as a person, but I can't deny his quality. He and I actually have almost exactly the same footballing world view.

Okey

Now if we're doing some ranking of managers, then the mitigating factors come into play. Hence in a current ranking he would at best lace Fergie's shoes. Even Mourinho would stack up against him. But his individual quality is in absolutely no doubt, as is his baldness. And No, he's not overrated. He's just what he is...only suited to a certain level.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Being bald is not so bad, I shave my head every couple of weeks. I would love to be a fraud like Pep, seems like it's a lucrative business.
Fraud in general is a lucrative business if you don't get caught.

Tel074

Is he though? He achieved the bare minimum at Barca given the unbelievable squad they had, and underachieved at Bayern. Given the ridiculous amount of money he's spent at Stockport City he should've got them a CL by now, especially with all the piss easy draws they've had.

I don't like Klopp, but his work at Dortmund and Liverpool is far more impressive than anything the Pep Guardiola is my idol has done.

Yeah he really achieved the bare minimum at Barcelona. 14 trophies in 4 years is shocking I've no idea how he keeps getting new jobs . He's the Spanish Moyes . Clown !!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What does ”bald” have to do with anything? Did “fraud” not feel enough? :D Sounds like an unnecessary attack on appearance.

Now about the substance:
1. Personally, I really do not like Guardiola. I could even say that I pretty much despise him, but that has everything to do with his personality (e.g. Ibra conflict) and nothing with his professional abilities
2. Yes, Guardiola had strong teams in all three cases. So what? First of all, no team can just run itself. Even the most talented squad needs a good coach to function, let alone win major trophies. How was the City he inherited any better than League champion United that Moyes inherited? It was not. And then what happened?

Additionally, anybody who knows anything about football can easily see that he greatly improved Barca and completely transformed City. I don’t think he did a great job at Bayern, but he got acceptable enough results to not qualify as a flop.

In summary, no Guardiola is not a fraud, by any strech of imagination. He is annoying as feck and he is certainly overrated (in my opinion) but fraud? Hell no
And all it took was hard work, charisma and a little sprinkle of magic. Oh, and three quarters of a billion in transfers. But what's that these in today's money? That's only a little over Bayern's annual revenue.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yet the ironic thing is, managers who do take on "proper challenges" like Klopp, Sarri, Pochettino are apparently overrated because they don't win enough.

Seems a manager can't be top class unless they win with a shit team, oh wait Ranieri did that and no one rates him either.

So it begs the question, what does quantify a top manager?
Klopp is most likely to win the PL after winning the CL. He inherited a team with a front three of Benteke, Ings and Sturridge, so strange comparison there. Pep on the other hand has spent north of £700mil on a squad that was already capable of winning the league. There's a big difference.