g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Blindpew

Dear Pep,

Please win your remaining 4 league games before running away to a national team or taking a sabbatical.

Yours sincerely,

Manchester United

LoneStar

There is zero chance they are letting him go imo. Far more chances of a new manager making things worse than better. Is his contract running out anytime soon? He might not extend in that case. Definitely strange the ways he or his teams manage to find a way to feck up in the CL though. Felt this was the year they would make it to the finals and possibly win it.

MUW4Eva

There is zero chance they are letting him go imo. Far more chances of a new manager making things worse than better. Is his contract running out anytime soon? He might not extend in that case. Definitely strange the ways he or his teams manage to find a way to feck up in the CL though. Felt this was the year they would make it to the finals and possibly win it.
Nah, City are not made to win Champions League's, Pep isn't the manager to do that, he isn't good enough, time after time they fail, and yet people still rate him asca manager bizarrely.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
City's relationship with the CL is quite funny, the fans boo the anthem and they fall at the final hurdle every season.

Perhaps when they have 2 world class players in every position and a lot of good luck, they may just win it.

Please let them sign Haaland and still go out in the semis

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In 2009 the team that beat us in the CL final, 9 of the starting 11 were already there including Messi, Eto'o Henry and Iniesta and Xavi who had both showed out in Summer 2008 winning the Euros with one of the best midfield displays.

Build what?
If it's that easy why haven't we created one of the best teams of all time of the back of two players winning the Euro's?

Pintu

If it's that easy why haven't we created one of the best teams of all time of the back of two players winning the Euro's?
Is this a joke? Not saying it is easy. But are you seriously comparing Puyol to Emerson Palmieri (who only played for Italy after Spina got injured) ?

The team he inherited at Barcelona had already won a CL and was in a semifinal the year before he got there.

marktan

They should sack him and replace him with Zidane. Zizou would win 3 in a row with City.

Gavinb33

People are quick to jump on the SAF underperformed in the CL bandwagon.

Pep has had the 2 biggest spending clubs in their respective leagues and has won 0 CL in 11 years.

In fact he has won 2 with arguably the greatest player ever in his side and without him none.

Last time he won a CL I was in my 20's I am in my 40's now.

He of course won't be sacked but the media needs to ask these questions.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The team he inherited at Barcelona had already won a CL
Yes when in the final Iniesta came off the bench and Xavi wasn't used atall. If anyone said after that both would have become arguably the two best CM's ever they'd have been ruthlessly laughed at (also Xavi was 26 at the time so not exactly a youth player getting slowly bled in).

Infact out of the 14 players used that match only three became key players for Pep at any point then after after match they won feck all for two years culminating in finishing 10 points behind Villareal. The idea he walked into a ready made team simply isn't true.

Furthermore I'd bet my account not a single solitary person said anything along the lines of "he'll be fine he has just taken over the best team ever" at the time, if we can find the thread on here I guarantee most of the comments are either laughing at Barcelona for appointing him or laughing at him for binning Ronaldinho and Deco off.

tomaldinho1

Pep has had the 2 biggest spending clubs in their respective leagues and has won 0 CL in 11 years.

In fact he has won 2 with arguably the greatest player ever in his side and without him none.

More so, we've entered an era without the colossal European giants that you'd fear running into every year. CL used to be a bloodbath by the QF most years but now it's really 2 PL teams and maybe Bayern? You can likely get to a final now without facing an elite team if you get a nice draw. Real are clearly still a good team but they should have gone out to PSG, should have gone out to Chelsea and City should really have knocked the out as well. CL is at it's most open that I can remember, this is the opportune time for PL who can outspend their European rivals to have a period of dominance.

Denis79

I was 100% certain that Pep would dominate European football after taking over from Jupp Heynckes. That Bayern team was something else. He took them backwards instead, not by much but certainly backwards.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
This is a really interesting situation.
Sure City have won 4/5 last PL titles if they win this year.
But when he was at Bayern they did the same? Barca also.

The question is, would those clubs or Madrid or PSG allow that from their mangers
I’m sceptical, I think at most top European clubs he would be sacked.

When he left Bayern his tenure was considered a failure, they won the league each year which is a given but the real hard stick was the CL, because it is expected with the resources and squad that they will win Bundesliga, City with infinitely more resource and a better squad you would imagine that they would expect one CL in the years he has been there.

the year after he left, they won the treble.

im sorry but the **** of Pep can not ignore the hard facts, no amount of inverted fullbacks will stop that.

Klopp is an infinitely better coach.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I mean, Lineker isn't wrong...
In this case no but Lineker is a fully signed up member to the **** of managers.

He gets upset over sackings even when they're fully deserved.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

The question is, would those clubs or Madrid or PSG allow that from their mangers

When he left Bayern his tenure was considered a failure, they won the league each year which is a given but the real hard stick was the CL, because it is expected with the resources and squad that they will win Bundesliga, City with infinitely more resource and a better squad you would imagine that they would expect one CL in the years he has been there.

im sorry but the **** of Pep can not ignore the hard facts, no amount of inverted fullbacks will stop that.

Was Sir Alex sacked in that situation?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's done an amazing job on the league level, extraordinary i would say.
With bayern it was different, they would win the league anyway so it made sense to sack him if he failed in Europe but thats not really the case in prem, pool could easily sweep up all the league titles if they get rid so kinda risky.

Tavern in the town

Strange seeing so many people deny Pep’s greatness in this thread given half the forum has been counting down the minutes till he leaves City in other threads.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Bayern didn't win the treble a year after he left, that took some years. But they won it immediately before he arrived, maybe you meant that?

And he wasn't exactly a failure, a failure at Bayern is when you don't win the league and that will get you sacked (usually early enough in the season so that they can still turn it around like in their sextuple season).

But he was just that - not a failure, but also not a brilliant success, just on par and nothing more.

crossy1686

career ending
Interesting that in the 11 times Pep’s been knocked out of the CL, 8 of those times were due to a flurry of goals that came at the result of a collapse.

Systems will only take you so far, you need characters to take control of the game when things start to fall apart

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Maybe not, but they also wouldn't have allowed him 4 years and a near entire squad overhaul before he repaid them with any silver and he most certainly wouldn't have got away with turning a 2-2 home draw into whoever Spain or France's version of West Brom is into a celebration.

Klopp's a great manager but there's no guarantee he will be in his element in a job with pressure to win every season.

Nickosaur

Dear Pep,

Please win your remaining 4 league games before running away to a national team or taking a sabbatical.

Yours sincerely,

Manchester United
If Pep leaves, Liverpool get a free run at the league for the next 3 years. Think I'd prefer Pep and Klopp to feck off at the same time!!

cyberman

Strange seeing so many people deny Pep’s greatness in this thread given half the forum has been counting down the minutes till he leaves City in other threads.
Its because he is a league bully and there is nobody better at winning leagues when you have a billion pound squad than Pep.
Saying that, bottle it v Liverpool and its one league title in 3 years.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Also I think Fergie comparisons are fair, while Fergie didn't spend nowhere near what pep has done he still underperformed massively in Europe my only gripe with him in fact, that's just the way things are some managers just do it better in Europe and also sometimes you just get lucky.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not at all if you look at the kind of criticism. His greatness is questioned because of his failures against the toughest opponents in the most important cup games.

That isn't denying his ability to steamroll most of the league teams and therefore win the league.

Considering that it's no surprise that in the last 5 years more English teams other than City have won the CL than the PL.

Tavern in the town

Not at all if you look at the kind of criticism. His greatness is questioned because of his failures against the toughest opponents in the most important cup games.

That isn't denying his ability to steamroll most of the league teams and therefore win the league.

Considering that it's no surprise that in the last 5 years more English teams other than City have won the CL than the PL.
It’s weird because it feels like his biggest strength is what actually fecks him over in the Champions League. He wants total control from his team on the football pitch which leads to his team accumulating 95+ points a season, but the Champions League is a tournament of chaos. It’s not possible to have complete control, so his teams usually look absolutely lost when they can’t control every variable.

cyberman

It’s weird because it feels like his biggest strength is what actually fecks him over in the Champions League. He wants total control from his team on the football pitch which leads to his team accumulating 95+ points a season, but the Champions League is a tournament of chaos. It’s not possible to have complete control, so his teams usually look absolutely lost when they can’t control every variable.
This hasn't been true for a long time. The elite of European football regularly reach multiple Cl finals in short periods of time. Peps sides don't do this and its down to the manager. There is no other variable.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't hate Pep.

But if the useless piece of bald, fraudulent shit can't even win the league - I might consider it.

InfiniteBoredom

Also I think Fergie comparisons are fair, while Fergie didn't spend nowhere near what pep has done he still underperformed massively in Europe my only gripe with him in fact, that's just the way things are some managers just do it better in Europe and also sometimes you just get lucky.
Fergie literally couldn’t field his best team for most of the 90s.

In the 2000s, sure you can argue that between 99 and 03, we underperformed, but I’d counter that while we had a great team, it was not anywhere near the current super squads in the game, so there are always other European giants capable of beating us. The only real blemish is that semi final loss against Leverkusen, then we entered a few years of rebuild and once it finished we had a run of minimum semi/final or losing to eventual winner/finalist for 7 years until the group stage exit in 2012, when cracks were showing.

It was a massively different football landscape, if anything, the constraints he operated under handicapped Fergie for years in Europe, not the other way around.