Pepe Reina

Status
Not open for further replies.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
The transfer of spanish inernational keeper Josè Manuel "Pepe" Reina to FC Bayern was confirmed by chairman Rummenigge. Reina is under contract at Liverpool and was loaned to Napoli recently. The medical examination is yet to happen.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Didn't they already sign some keeper who impressed at the WC? Forget his name.

Anywho, he's hardly replacing Neuer.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Go from being a no.2 at Liverpool to a no.2 at Bayern..beat living in Liverpool I suppose

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't they already sign some keeper who impressed at the WC? Forget his name.

Anywho, he's hardly replacing Neuer.
Nah, that was Keylor Navas, who joined Real Madrid yesterday.

Think Pepe will do well for them. He won't play much, other than in cup games, but he's more suited to Pep's ideal keeper than Starke. Good at sweeping and good distribution.

Jammydodger7

Don't understand why Reina would want to move to Bayern as a back up for Neuer! Not as if he'll ever get ahead of him! Meant to be for £2 million! Whilst he's not the keeper he once was that's still a bargain!

Santos J

Don't understand why Reina would want to move to Bayern as a back up for Neuer! Not as if he'll ever get ahead of him! Meant to be for £2 million! Whilst he's not the keeper he once was that's still a bargain!
£££

MTR

hates Herrera
Don't look at my tag. Not native English speaker
Nah, that was Keylor Navas, who joined Real Madrid yesterday.

Think Pepe will do well for them. He won't play much, other than in cup games, but he's more suited to Pep's ideal keeper than Starke. Good at sweeping and good distribution.
Iker Casillas is now 3rd choice at Real Madrid? :lol::lol:

Diego Lopez is clearly better than him and Navas was the best keeper in the La Liga last season.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
He's on £100k a week. That's a tonne for a back up goalkeeper. Not exactly a bargain and that's why his price is so low.

Eila

Diego Lopez is clearly better than him and Navas was the best keeper in the La Liga last season.
Lopez should be leaving. Madrid will kick his butt out, apparently.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

Diego López looks like he's off. Milan on loan the latest rumour but it changes every day. Not convinced he's better than Casillas anyway, Casillas was the better of the two up until his disaster Champions League Final and World Cup.

@Jammydodger7, I think it's a fair price when you consider he doesn't have long left on his deal and he's on high wages.

Jammydodger7

He's on £100k a week. That's a tonne for a back up goalkeeper. Not exactly a bargain and that's why his price is so low.
Surely he'll be taking a pay cut? Why would Munich pay that much to a back up keeper, Neuer doesn't seem to get injured that often so its not as if having a brilliant back up is a necessity

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Surely he'll be taking a pay cut? Why would Munich pay that much to a back up keeper, Neuer doesn't seem to get injured that often so its not as if having a brilliant back up is a necessity
I would doubt it. That's what he wanted from Napoli and Milan and is why they pulled out of a deal.

Jammydodger7

I would doubt it. That's what he wanted from Napoli and Milan and is why they pulled out of a deal.
Hmm pretty sad really. A keeper of his ability can still play as number one at a club like Milan but would rather spend the rest of his career on the bench just so he can earn more money..

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
You just know he's going to try some Neuer sweeper shit when he's picked....And he will royally mess it up
Why? He had some flaws in his final season or two at Liverpool but sweeping up was never a problem for him. It, along with his distribution, are his best qualities.

The decline in his shot stopping is more likely to cause problems than messing up coming off his line.

Ruht

Came out of nowhere, this. He is much better than Starke so in that regard I'm quite happy. Just hope we are not paying him a ridiculous salary as I can't see him getting much playing time.

Blackwidow

Last season both Neuer and Starke were injured at the same time. The third keeper from the U23 had to make 3 matches with the keeper of the U19 as a backup when something happens. That is why they decided to get a third keeper. I remember that prior to the CL match against United it was open if Neuer can play when Starke was already injured. You do not want an unexperienced goalie in the quarter finals of the CL and an even more unexperienced on the bench if something happens...

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Bayern are usually quite sensible when it comes to wages. I can't see them paying a backup keeper 100k. Liverpool will most probably pay a portion of his wages like City do with Adebayor.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Casillas is 3rd choice now. Lopez' agent came out and said he has a contract for another 3 years, he will stay at Madrid. Pepe might play some cup games on reputation but its obvious he doesn't care about playing regularly with this move.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Bayern are usually quite sensible when it comes to wages. I can't see them paying a backup keeper 100k. Liverpool will most probably pay a portion of his wages like City do with Adebayor.
I would doubt it or Reina would be a Napoli player.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I would doubt it or Reina would be a Napoli player.
Yes but Bayern are much more tempting than Napoli. Perhaps the bayern posters can correct me but usually the bayern board are pretty sensible when it comes to wages.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Yes but Bayern are much more tempting than Napoli. Perhaps the bayern posters can correct me but usually the bayern board are pretty sensible when it comes to wages.
They will pay what it takes to get the player if they really want him (see Götze or Ribery's first 5 year extension when he wanted to go to Real). For additional players as a 2/3rd string keeper, they won't break the bank for sure. As there are no complete muppets in command, they'll pay what the player is worth or walk away from the deal. Experienced goalies of a certain class aren't available in abundance, but it isn't as if you couldn't find another one in that bracket.

AFAIK the second goalie is always in on winning premiums etc. so even a smaller fixed salary with Bayern-like title and win premiums may be very attractive. Winning titles and working with a top trainer and co-players also might be at the end of a career.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Are they in Reina's case? At Napoli he'd be first choice and working under a manager who he loves. If we were willing to cover his wages then he'd have been a Napoli player much earlier or this transfer would have been done last minute when we were desperate. If they weren't covering his wages I would also guess that his release clause would have had to be met.

ZDwyr

From the outside he would seem like the perfect 'keeper for Rodgers' system. His distribution would have to be better than Mignolet's anyway. Did his shot-stopping/decision making decline that much? I remember he cost Liverpool points against City 2 seasons ago with a dodgy decision. Did he and Rodgers not get along or something?

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
From the outside he would seem like the perfect 'keeper for Rodgers' system. His distribution would have to be better than Mignolet's anyway. Did his shot-stopping/decision making decline that much? I remember he cost Liverpool points against City 2 seasons ago with a dodgy decision. Did he and Rodgers not get along or something?
His distribution is loads better than Mignolet's. His shot stopping declined massively. Rodgers and Reina also had a big falling out.

ZDwyr

His distribution is loads better than Mignolet's. His shot stopping declined massively. Rodgers and Reina also had a big falling out.
What was the reason for that? Or does no one really know?

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
What was the reason for that? Or does no one really know?
It was mainly due to Reina crying for Barcelona to come and get him. When that didn't happen Reina decided he wanted to stay, but we bought Mignolet. The open letter where he has digs at Rodgers meant there was no chance of him staying once he came back from Napoli.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
It was mainly due to Reina crying for Barcelona to come and get him. When that didn't happen Reina decided he wanted to stay, but we bought Mignolet. The open letter where he has digs at Rodgers meant there was no chance of him staying once he came back from Napoli.
I don't think there was even a dig at Rodgers in that letter. He praised Rafa as being his best ever manager, which is hardly a surprise, and said he was annoyed at the way he found out about the loan deal. Rodgers is being too sensitive if that's why they fell out - more likely to be something behind the scenes I'd guess.

Loony BoB

Baffled that he's settling for being a #2. Baffled that Napoli wouldn't pay £4m for him. The guy is a bloody good keeper.

Blackwidow

His father was in goal for Athletico when they lost the European Cup in that big final in 1974 against Beckenbauer, Breitner, Müller. Maybe he wants to win it now with Bayern? He usually will only be a no. 2 - but there always can be injuries.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
He isn't that good anymore imo, but still surprising why he don't want to be a number 1, he would be a good deal for Napoli or Milan. Are wages that important that you want to sit on the bench for the next 2, 3 seasons.

Blackwidow

Injuries can always happen. And then he is in goal for a European top club. And he is in for a win of the Champions League. Like I said before - his father has lost the CL final (I know that it had a different name then) against Bayern in 1974. Can be that winning it is a goal for him as his father did not win it.

Irish-Red-7

No real ambition shown from him to be honest..

Just settling for a no.2 spot where he will hardly ever play, probably get the German cup games. He will add to his trophy "collection" though..

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Imagine if he wins major trophies with Bayern as well - he will then probably have the most important tropy collection with club and national team without actually contributing a bit to it!
I will primarily remember him for this - oh and as David Villa's best friend in football!

Blackwidow

Imagine if he wins major trophies with Bayern as well - he will then probably have the most important tropy collection with club and national team without actually contributing a bit to it!
I will primarily remember him for this - oh and as David Villa's best friend in football!
Even if he has a World and a European Championship with country - he does not have any country championship with club nor has he a CL. He came to Liverpool the year after they won it. His father has lost the CL to Bayern. Could be just one motivation for him.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
The 'leaving letter' from him last season pretty much confirmed he and Rodgers had no relationship whatsoever. It was accepted long ago before his loan he wouldn't be coming back. His last season for us was shocking, your heart was in your mouth everytime the opposition had a shot outside the box. He had many howlers against City, Hearts, getting beat at his near post far too often. He was a nice guy to have around the team, and good servant to the club but I'm glad he's gone.

Irish-Red-7

Even if he has a World and a European Championship with country - he does not have any country championship with club nor has he a CL. He came to Liverpool the year after they won it. His father has lost the CL to Bayern. Could be just one motivation for him.
He means that Reina has a Euro/World cup to his name without contributing to it and the same could happen at Bayern, he could pick up a CL without actually doing anything and more than likely a bundesliga title aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.