Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

RedRover

I actually wouldn’t. I’d either win by doing things the right way or I’d choose not to win at all. Where’s the satisfaction in winning by cheating and just buying it?
You'd be choosing to be unemployed then.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We’d all get relegated to be honest bro regardless of who among us knew Souness used to play football before his sole purpose in life became hating on Utd.
I know dude, I was just taking the mickey.

I have to say, they are very very good at the PR with their spending. Here's Pep again with his yearly rendition of "we can't afford it", despite already bidding 100m for Kane and being alright with adding players to that.

At the prices (quoted) we are not going to buy any strikers. It is impossible, we cannot afford it," Guardiola told Catalan network TV3.

"All clubs are struggling financially, we are not an exception."
Till next year folks, then we can expect another chorus of "we can't afford it, we can't afford it, we can't afffooooooooo-ord it".

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I have to say, they are very very good at the PR with their spending. Here's Pep again with his yearly rendition of "we can't afford it", despite already bidding 100m for Kane and being alright with adding players to that.

Till next year folks, then we can expect another chorus of "we can't afford it, we can't afford it, we can't afffooooooooo-ord it".
That quote was last season I think in a pre match presser before Dortmund

Thunderhead

Supports
City
That’s the thing innit, it’s a quote from now, just exactly the same as last season. Cause City just can’t afford these prices.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-claims-high-prices-make-transfer-impossible
the TV3 interview that's being rehashed isn't from now, it's quite old unless he's using exactly the same words to exactly the same question, basically the questions asked were more on Laporta, Barca and the national teams and some news outlets have just rehashed the Harry Kane quotes from April.

Even then they spent over 100m on 2 CBs.
I bet you any money Pep hates who he has become
spending £100m on two players isn't as bad as spending on 1, no?

He's always spent money building a squad, but I think he'd rather buy 2 or 3 players for £100-£150m than 1

cyberman

the TV3 interview that's being rehashed isn't from now, it's quite old unless he's using exactly the same words to exactly the same question, basically the questions asked were more on Laporta, Barca and the national teams and some news outlets have just rehashed the Harry Kane quotes from April.

spending £100m on two players isn't as bad as spending on 1, no?

He's always spent money building a squad, but I think he'd rather buy 2 or 3 players for £100-£150m than 1
That doesnt make it any better and the club spending 100m on a player (very few of them tbf) don't cry poverty before doing so.

OleBoiii

We've had a great summer so far, but the difference between City and us is very visible today.

City:
- Already have the best team in the league? Check.
- Won the league comfortably last season? Check.

The next logical step? Spend 100 million on Grealish.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
We've had a great summer so far, but the difference between City and us is very visible today.

City:

Based on what? I mean yeah they won the league but how many City players were the best in the positions in the league?

They're a well drilled machine with a great system, but the only world class player in that team is KDB. We can't consider Dias a world-class player yet after just one great season.

Brightonian

City:

Sure, but regardless of the comparison you can't ask for much more from our summer so far. We didn't need Grealish and were never going to be in for him. We have signed a comparably gifted, productive and high-profile player for a big fee. We have signed the most established and high-profile CB of all the options floated.

We couldn't have invested much more ambitiously so far. Even if we stopped now, it would have been a strong summer. If we also add a good DM, then it will be near enough a perfect transfer window.

acnumber9

Based on what? I mean yeah they won the league but how many City players were the best in the positions in the league?

They're a well drilled machine with a great system, but the only world class player in that team is KDB. We can't consider Dias a world-class player yet after just one great season.
According to the PFA team of the year, six of them. Your opinion definitely carries more weight though.

SER19

A man who is now willing to do anything to win another CL. Billion didn't do it

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
According to the PFA team of the year, six of them. Your opinion definitely carries more weight though.
4 were defensive players though, and i still find it weird that KDB made it into the PFA team of the year (even more surprised that he was voted player of the season). Cancelo's inclusion is also debatable.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He needs Kane still for me, can’t see him doing it with out an actual striker.

Another 140m to be splashed soon and a win with have him hailed an absolute genius and “best ever” :lol:
Yeah I’d say there’s literally only 3-4 attacking players who’d “improve” them enough, to justify the fee. Kane, Messi, then Neymar or Mbappe (debatable). I don’t think Grealish would improve them as much to justify a £100m outlay - not until they sign a good world class CF anyway.

Yeah I’d say there’s literally only 3-4 attacking players who’d “improve” them enough, to justify the fee. Kane, Messi, then Neymar or Mbappe (debatable). I don’t think Grealish would improve them as much to justify a £100m outlay - not until they sign a good world class CF anyway.
I think they brought in Grealish first in order to now flog another winger and make out that had to in order to get the extra funds for a 140-150m Kane purchase.

SER19

He needs Kane still for me, can’t see him doing it with out an actual striker.

Another 140m to be splashed soon and a win with have him hailed an absolute genius and “best ever” :lol:
Think the transition at Europe's other big clubs leaves it wide open for the billion pound man. Should have won it without fuss this year

Think the transition at Europe's other big clubs leaves it wide open for the billion pound man. Should have won it without fuss this year
Aye, if he picks up Kane feck me, I’d say bizarrely that it’d be a massive failure not to win it, as daft as that sounds. What more would he need?
A billion quid + 2 x 100m plus players
The Spanish and Italian clubs in ruin.

SER19

Aye, if he picks up Kane feck me, I’d say bizarrely that it’d be a massive failure not to win it, as daft as that sounds. What more would he need?
A billion quid + 2 x 100m plus players
The Spanish and Italian clubs in ruin.
I can't imagine them getting both kane and Grealish. Surely not

acnumber9

4 were defensive players though, and i still find it weird that KDB made it into the PFA team of the year (even more surprised that he was voted player of the season). Cancelo's inclusion is also debatable.
It would be more weird to win the league with a team as average as you’re pretending.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
It would be more weird to win the league with a team as average as you’re pretending.
Please point out where i said the team or players are average...
I said they aren't world-class (except for KDB), where does that translate to them being just average? Or is it that when it comes to Pep, there's no middle ground and everything has to be exaggerated?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even in a summer when we go big, they match it with one signing.

Genius is Pep.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wonder if Simon Stone will post an updated tweet of the spends of each of the top English clubs when the window is closed and Pep’s spending this summer is the majority of what others have spent over 4 years.

Irrational.

If there’s one transfer that summarises Pep for me it’s the Claudio Bravo purchase. Sought a ball-playing GK and immediately ditched him. He can afford expensive mistakes with no repercussions. Even if Grealish doesn’t work out for them he’ll still be considered a God. Just like Ake, Laporte, Stones, Banana Silva and £52 million Benjamin Mendy. They can keep flinging shit until some sticks. Water off a duck’s bollocks.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Give me Sancho and Varane any day than over paying for Jack Grealish. They may have matched us for money spent but not quality.
When City and Liverpool came up hard, they did it by going for quality in the areas they were lacking.
I'm delighted we're doing just that.

A defensive beast in midfield who can set the tempo, and a top striker are no doubt our next 2 major signings in the 18months ahead.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Give me Sancho and Varane any day than over paying for Jack Grealish. They may have matched us for money spent but not quality.
To be fair they've bought mostly better players in Pep's time. The difference is when they feck up they can just splash more money and we can't.

ShinjiNinja26

When City and Liverpool came up hard, they did it by going for quality in the areas they were lacking.
I'm delighted we're doing just that.

A defensive beast in midfield who can set the tempo, and a top striker are no doubt our next 2 major signings in the 18months ahead.
Oh yes agree 100%. We seem to have finally gotten our act together and are buying real quality in our biggest problem areas. Like you say if we sign a proper DM then I think we’re right up there with anyone in terms of challenging capabilities for this season. A top striker to replace Cavani next season and we could be a real force to be reckoned with.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
To be fair they've bought mostly better players in Pep's time. The difference is when they feck up they can just splash more money and we can't.
I'd say the difference is we went through a run of fecking up with almost every major transfer. They only fecked up maybe 50%.

ShinjiNinja26

Aye they’ve definitely bought well under Pep but like you say they’ll always have that safety blanket of being able to write failed signings off and simply buy another one, a luxury 99% of other clubs can’t afford. Although that being said if Grealish for £100m does happen to flop then that’s gotta sting even for them.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Has Grealish meant his spending is past the 1bn now?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
In the words of PL's one and only saint pep:

"City just won't pay up that much for a player, they never spend this big for one guy"