Peter Schmeichel

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
One thing with Schmikes is that he wasn't just a World Class great keeper - it was his personality as well, he was a winner and a real, genuine leader on the pitch.

His leadership qualities are often overshadowed by Keane, which is understandable, as Keane was an anomalously forthright and alpha leader, but Schmikes was a really great leader as well, a strong character on the pitch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I feel like he's a bit underrated now. You see threads/posts on here questioning the likes of Keane, the class of 92, Schmeichel and I can't help but find it crazy.

Anyway, he was an all time great for sure. One of my favourites to see play for us.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Best United keeper ever not matter what De Gea fan boys says.
He was better but he made much more mistakes than De Gea ever has. De Gea is also younger than what Schmeichel was when he joined United. Schmeichel was ready made when he arrived. Imagine De Gea arriving at United in 2 years being slightly better than he is now.

Skills

Snitch
I feel like his shear size gets underrated. A lot of De Gea's saves for me look more impressive because he's a smaller guy so he had to move more to reach them. While for someone of Schmeichel's size they look ordinary because the man's body covers 1/4 of the goal - same goes for Neuer.

Baby Groot

He was better but he made much more mistakes than De Gea ever has. De Gea is also younger than what Schmeichel was when he joined United. Schmeichel was ready made when he arrived. Imagine De Gea arriving at United in 2 years being slightly better than he is now.
I'm more willing to bet De Gea will be gone in 2 years time.

Deleted member 101472

De Gea made more mistakes in his first season that Schmeichel did his entire career

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I loved him when he was with us, he was my childhood idol growing up, I played in goal because of him, I shouted at my centrebacks because of him!

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Ddg is amazing but for me not even close to peter

He used to pick up the odd injury mid 90’s. When he was out we struggled as a team no matter who we played.

His absence affected the whole team

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
It's difficult to compare him to DDG because we had Schmeichel in his absolute prime during his 30s.

I've said it before - I think Schmeichel is the best 'keeper we've ever had (and a contender for GOAT) - de Gea is world class, and could well go on to surpass Schmeichel in terms of ability and achievement. We'll see.

Bojan11

I still prefer Schmeichel and VDS to De Gea. Maybe because they played a key part in winning is trophies.

alanjohnson

I think he was a big game performer.
in random games he was not really stand out imo but when it was a big game he took control and reveled in the atmosphere akin to how Cantona or C.Ronaldo were as attackers.

FujiVice

Schmeichel was ready made when he arrived. Imagine De Gea arriving at United in 2 years being slightly better than he is now.
Imagine after a year in a different country, they suddenly decide to change the rules of goalkeeping. Like when Schmeichel came over, and they eliminated the backpass rule. To say Schmeichel was ready made, when that position was given a curve ball which seperated the men from the boys isnt fair.

FujiVice

Should be noted as well, Schmeichel had a back injury in the mid-90s which basically finished him off long term. He was never going to be a Van Der Sar, playing 60 games a year until he's 40. Look at Schmeichel in 95 and in 99. He's carrying so much more weight because on that frame. He picked up a lot of injuries for a keeper. Groin, hamstring and back were all playing up in that final year, which lead to his decision to go to an easier league.

Bogga

Just look at the goalies we've had from the great Dane up until now. If you take the best 10 goalkeepers of the PL from 1990 until now, half of them would be ours...

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
I feel like his shear size gets underrated. A lot of De Gea's saves for me look more impressive because he's a smaller guy so he had to move more to reach them. While for someone of Schmeichel's size they look ordinary because the man's body covers 1/4 of the goal - same goes for Neuer.
Im pretty sure De Gea is taller then Schmeichel

FujiVice

Im pretty sure De Gea is taller then Schmeichel
Height, not bulk. Schmeichel is a giant of a man. He's got a massive frame. Hands, feet, neck. Big old head on him as well. He's like a World War 2 tank. De Gea is similar to Van Der Sar's build. Schmeichel's like Hulk Hogan or something.

Baby Groot

The years between Schmichel and Van Der Sar

1999-2000 : Mark Bosnich, Raimond van der Gouw, Massimo Taibi (:lol:)
2000-2001 : Fabien Barthez, Raimond van der Gouw
2001-2002: Fabien Barthez, Roy Carroll
2002-2003: Fabien Barthez, Roy Carroll
2003-2004: Roy Carroll, Tim Howard
2004-2005: Roy Carroll, Tim Howard

Never rated: Bosnich, Carroll, Taibi,
Above Averge: Howard (Had promising start, but talled of quickly, probably unfairly shifted in favor of Carroll, not so much when Van Der Saar came along)
Good Keeper: Barthez (but his clowning around was annoying, never forgive him for that Di Canio goal in the FA cup)
Underrated: Van Der Gouw (I thought I always did well when called up on, given the amount of the other dross we had between the sticks in those years. He probably should have gotten more look in by Ferguson, but i'm glad that mustered enough games in both 2000, 2001 to get PL medals outright)

Last edited:

klayton88

Schmeichel - Masterclass. From MNF.

https://ok.ru/video/346467207782

EDIT - Great bit early on where he says he wore his shirt one size too big so that when he spread his arms to make himself big, the extra material down by his sides would make him look even bigger to the striker. I love that.

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Any Legends list that doesn't include him is chip paper piss IMO. It's between him, Stepney and VdS for our greatest keeper, and he's the only one to span two generations of great teams and captain us to a European Cup win. He's up there with Cantona in terms of influence and iconicity.

Baby Groot

Any Legends list that doesn't include him is chip paper piss IMO. It's between him, Stepney and VdS for our greatest keeper, and he's the only one to span two generations of great teams and captain us to a European Cup win. He's up there with Cantona in terms of influence and iconicity.
He considered retirement after Cantona announced his retirement out of the blue. If I understand correctly, they were roommates after all during away matches trips.

Emrethis

Schmeichel's the best. The only thing DDG has over him is pure shot-stopping, and I would argue there's not much between them. In terms of 1 on 1s, control of his box, distribution and everything else, especially leadership, Schmeichel's better. Of course, we're talking about Schmeichel in his prime here. DDG has a few years yet to improve. Hopefully, it will be here.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Some exceptional saves in that compilation, but quite a few of the shots were hit straight at him as well. Although you could argue that he positioned himself well in the first place. Top class keeper, a legend for this club.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'd rate DDG over VdS in my list of greatest keepers that ever played for us. I loved VdS but DDG is better than him.

Joseunited

I'm more willing to bet De Gea will be gone in 2 years time.
That isn't the point he's trying to make,Schmeichel joined us as after winning the Euro's with Denmark as a 28 year old.We took a big gamble with De Gea and for a couple of seasons had to put up with an above average keeper.He's 2 years away from being the age when Peter joined us and is now the best keeper in the world.

Most people might sway towards Schmeichel because we finally won the league with him as the goalkeeper, De Gea on the other hand has been world class in an average United side over the last couple of seasons.

If De Gea had the presence that Schmeichel had there wouldn't be a need for a discussion.Schmeichel controlled his penalty area in a way that I've never seen before or probably ever will.His own defenders were scared of him.

Reactions: Penna

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Just look at the goalies we've had from the great Dane up until now. If you take the best 10 goalkeepers of the PL from 1990 until now, half of them would be ours...
Really? I count 3. Outside of DDG VDS and Pete, I think we really struggled to find a good enough keeper to be the constant choice. Howard wasn't bad, but had crises of confidence. Barthez was too small and too unpredictable. Bosnich... Bosnich still gives me nightmares about how godawful his kicking was. I got to the point where I'd prefer our defenders to kick it out for a corner rather than attempt a passback to him.
Carroll and VDH were both very able backup keepers, but never good enough to be first choice.

lewwoo

Schmeichel had such a presence that the opposition attackers were at a disadvantage from the start especially on 1-1's .

dakingpin1999

De gea is better in my opinion over the past 4 years he has proved it. Playing in a much harder era in the league. De gea has constantly kept utd in games during moyes and lvg era and still doing it. He has been under constant pressure to save utd and has been in more action during games since his arrival, due to utd being a mediocre team especially under moyes and lvg. Without his saves utd wouldn't have finished 7th 4th 5th and 6th, they would have finshed much lower in the table. Schmeichel was more vocal, a leader, had a bigger presence and was a truly all-time great. As a pure goalkeeping talent de gea is better in my opinion. If I had a choice I'd have de gea. We will see just how good the lad is once he leaves for real Madrid in the coming years.

Last edited:

togg

Schmeichel was not only a top goalkeeper, but a top leader which is a perfect combination. He marshalled/encouraged/organised and raged at his defense like no other goalkeeper I've seen. He made them feel like an extension to himself.They worked so hard for him meaning less opportunities for the opposition to shoot. Every goal that went passed him was like a insult. DDG as a goalkeeper has the possibility of eumulating him in talent, but not with the powerful personality that Schmikes had in his armoury.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
People comparing him to DDG are missing the point. It's not about his saving stats or his ability to gather the ball from a cross.
It's his presence, authority and ability to demand everything from his back line that made him sublime. He was a true leader and someone you truly feared as a defender, making them Contrentrated and up for all of the 90 minutes. Having both Keane and Schmeichel commanding each department meant all of the team was contributing with 100% throughout the entire match.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Schmeichel was not only a top goalkeeper, but a top leader which is a perfect combination. He marshalled/encouraged/organised and raged at his defense like no other goalkeeper I've seen. He made them feel like an extension to himself.They worked so hard for him meaning less opportunities for the opposition to shoot. Every goal that went passed him was like a insult. DDG as a goalkeeper has the possibility of eumulating him in talent, but not with the powerful personality that Schmikes had in his armoury.
Exactly.