Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

tjb

The hype for him is out of control holy shit. 9 goals and 5 assists playing as a forward for Pep's City in the league. Only Kane had fewer touches for England today. He had a few genuinely very good performances here and there for City, sure, and is a terrific young player of course. Is he some other-worldly talent? feck no. I see him being compared to Rooney here? Are you fecking kidding me? I see people saying he is on a different level to Sancho as a talent (presumably because they think Foden is 18 and Sancho is 25, when in reality they are both 21) and Sancho has been tearing up a top league for 3 years while Foden had his first decent season that was still not on par with either of Sancho's past 2 years. Southgate starting him because he was starting for City by the end of the season (in a completely different system, pretty much as a false 9, and in the most attacker friendly coaching system imaginable that can't be replicated by Southgate and England). This is insane.

He's a good payer, sure. Very good u21 player. Is he better than Grealish, Sancho, Rashford as a wide player? No, of course not, not based on anything they've shown until now in their careers. Sterling had a bad season for City and Foden was deservedly ahead of him, but normal Sterling is ahead of him too. Maybe he'll get there. But let's not say he's something that he isn't yet.
I completely agree. This all stems more from the fact that England haven't really had a player like him in the national set up prior. He's the symbol of a change in the youth setup that's now bringing in more technically sound players that look like they could play for Spain. My concern is, most of those players aren't difference makers for Spain. There are very few Iniesta's and David Silva's around. Because a player like dribble and looks pretty when playing doesn't mean they are necessarily effective. Isco is a clear example of this. I feel, just like they were with Wilshere, the media has been really quick to crown Foden because he's young and he looks different stylistically to any players that have come before him. My fear is that Grealish may already be that superstar that the national team has actually been looking for, yet they may waste him on the idea that Grealish will be the guy to carry them moving forward. It would be unfortunate if, in a few years, we start discussing how starting Grealish sooner could have led to England winning the Euros or competing with other top talents. Today, I saw modric keeping the ball, moving it around, getting fouled to keep his team in possession; being their talisman. Grealish, imo, is that guy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I completely agree. This all stems more from the fact that England haven't really had a player like him in the national set up prior. He's the symbol of a change in the youth setup that's now bringing in more technically sound players that look like they could play for Spain. My concern is, most of those players aren't difference makers for Spain. There are very few Iniesta's and David Silva's around. Because a player like dribble and looks pretty when playing doesn't mean they are necessarily effective. Isco is a clear example of this. I feel, just like they were with Wilshere, the media has been really quick to crown Foden because he's young and he looks different stylistically to any players that have come before him. My fear is that Grealish may already be that superstar that the national team has actually been looking for, yet they may waste him on the idea that Grealish will be the guy to carry them moving forward. It would be unfortunate if, in a few years, we start discussing how starting Grealish sooner could have led to England winning the Euros or competing with other top talents. Today, I saw modric keeping the ball, moving it around, getting fouled to keep his team in possession; being their talisman. Grealish, imo, is that guy.
Yep for sure. Grealish has to be the key guy between the midfield and attack for England, and yet I get the feeling that Southgate and others see Foden as that guy which is a bit crazy to me. He's good... but he's not on the same level as Grealish. Sancho as well. If Foden did even close to what Sancho has been doing for Dortmund they'd literally be calling him to get the Ballon D'Or. Rashford supposedly had a bad season while being injured for a lot of the year, but had both more goals and assists than Foden (despite playing for Ole and United vs Foden playing for Pep and City). He's not some other worldly talent, and there's probably 4 players for the wide positions who should be ahead of him for England.

OmarUnited4ever

I actually prefer him to play centrally, as AM, skillful and good linkup, he was limited at RW, as he doesn't possess the pace and Walker didn't attack as much (probably tasked with marking Perisic).

wouldn't compare him to the any of the great players yet but, him, Saka, Greewood, & TAA are the best under 21 English players playing regularly in the PL, which is great, also Bellingham starring for BVB at 17 years is awesome.

OmarUnited4ever

TAA is 22, both Sancho and Foden are 21 and only 2 months apart in age.
Oh of course forgot to mention Sancho, and didn't know TAA was 22, but still they are still young . all i'm saying is they are young English players featuring regularly for a top PL side, not forgetting Reece, Rice & Mount, all 22/21, which is good for the NT.

redrobed

I’m not one to gloat or say ‘I told you so’ but I did get laughed at for saying Foden’s a bang average player and now those same people that laughed have gone very quiet after yesterday’s performance.

People just love to hype up City players that are made to look better because of those around them.

Would love to know how many goals/assists he’s got when KDB, Gundogan, Rodri and Mahrez and Aguero have not been in the team.

AshRK

He is good but now it seems the media is trying to force him down people's throat of how amazing he is. He is no rooney level talent. I feel Greenwood has been hard done. He will prove to be more talented than him.

romufc

He has one shot that hit the post, other than that he was pretty anonymous all game, offered nothing from the right.

I don't know why but it seems these City players just get in and are over hyped by the English media.

cyberman

I think he suits a deeper role. Playing Foden so far forward takes away a place for a Sancho or Rashford who are goal scorers and assist machines.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Must say I disagree with many of the comments. I think he is a real top drawer talent.

Idxomer

I don't think judging any of England's attacking talent under Southgate is valid, the only one who could escape his touch is Grealish.

spiriticon

He gives me Iniesta vibes, but so does Grealish to be honest. And I think Grealish is better, although he is slightly older and more mature.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just think at this time in his career he’s very much a ‘moments’ player — a goal or a final third pass, but he’s not running the game or anything like that.

Not sure he’s ideal for RW — then again, does anyone in the NT favour that spot? Real shame about Greenwood’s injury (though I doubt Southgate would’ve called him up in the end).

8thWonder

I’m not one to gloat or say ‘I told you so’ but I did get laughed at for saying Foden’s a bang average player and now those same people that laughed have gone very quiet after yesterday’s performance.

People just love to hype up City players that are made to look better because of those around them.

Would love to know how many goals/assists he’s got when KDB, Gundogan, Rodri and Mahrez and Aguero have not been in the team.
:lol: I'm definitely still laughing.

He's got everything to be one of the worlds best players very soon imho.

The reason he's so highly rated is because he quite often stands out for that Man City side not solely because he's playing in it.

If you're playing with brilliant players, you quickly get found out if you're not on the same level as them because you stand out like a sore thumb not the other way around.

As for yesterdays performance, was this the same game that Harry Kane was elecrtyfying in?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

The reason he's so highly rated is because he quite often stands out for that Man City side not solely because he's playing in it.

If you're playing with brilliant players, you quickly get found out if you're not on the same level as them because you stand out like a sore thumb not the other way around.

As for yesterdays performance, was this the same game that Harry Kane was elecrtyfying in?
Soon? Let's see. He's far from it right now.

As for the second part, England doesnt have a CF close to Kane's level. Foden's place is not nearly as safe as England have equal/better options for some reason waiting in the wings.

redrobed

Kane’s elevated a poor side to an average one though. If you took Foden out of that City side last season no-one would have noticed the difference and they’d have finished with more or less the same points. If he was a Utd player the media would be bashing him.

8thWonder

Soon? Let's see. He's far from it right now.

As for the second part, England doesnt have a CF close to Kane's level. Foden's place is not nearly as safe as England have equal/better options for some reason waiting in the wings.
I'm still of the opinion that attackers generally peak between 25 and 28, exceptions to the rule obviously (generally pace is a big factor in that mind), so by soon, I would say 3-4 years. However, to be fair, he is starting for quite possibly the best team in Europe at the moment already...

To me, he passes the eye test though, he's got the ability to slow things down when everything around him is 100mph.

The point about Kane was that everyone has games where you just can't get into them and hopefully most people would still see Kane as world class, so judging him off that to prove a point would be really silly.

i'd agree about him being in danger of losing his place. Grealish, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Foden all vying for two spots, no matter how you rate them, they're all capable match winners on their day and it's about performing now. Again, that doesn't really matter in evaluating how good he is (or anyone who misses out) at the moment does it?

8thWonder

Kane’s elevated a poor side to an average one though. If you took Foden out of that City side last season no-one would have noticed the difference and they’d have finished with more or less the same points. If he was a Utd player the media would be bashing him.
Why?

Jaxa

Great player but typical English media pressure on the guys shoulders,

21 years old, he will have poor games, go through a dip in form, but when this happens the whole footballing world will be trying to convince each other he's rubbish

Exactly the same as Greenwood

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He was one of City's best players last season. What on earth are you talking about?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He gives me Iniesta vibes, but so does Grealish to be honest. And I think Grealish is better, although he is slightly older and more mature.
Grealish is quite a bit older tbf, Foden's just turned 21 whereas Grealish is soon to turn 26

You're right though they're both very similar players, I think Foden's the greater goal threat but Grealish holds the ball better so later on in the tournament against better sides Grealish will probably be the one you want starting with Foden as an impact sub

mancan92

Because he isn't bang average. Not being the best player in the league at 20 isn't bang average still will be a top player but maybe David Silva level and not a balón dor winner. He's not average at all.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

One of the brightest prospects in Europe has one mediocre display for his country and suddenly becomes bang average?.

You couldn't make it up.

Zen86

I agree on both counts. He is very Iniesta like, but he’s nowhere near that level yet. The hype is quite ridiculous at the moment, which I think is partly down to him being very Iberian in how he plays. He’s very un-English, so he’s quite unique in that respect.

amolbhatia50k

I'm still of the opinion that attackers generally peak between 25 and 28, exceptions to the rule obviously (generally pace is a big factor in that mind), so by soon, I would say 3-4 years. However, to be fair, he is starting for quite possibly the best team in Europe at the moment already...

To me, he passes the eye test though, he's got the ability to slow things down when everything around him is 100mph.

The point about Kane was that everyone has games where you just can't get into them and hopefully most people would still see Kane as world class, so judging him off that to prove a point would be really silly.

i'd agree about him being in danger of losing his place. Grealish, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Foden all vying for two spots, no matter how you rate them, they're all capable match winners on their day and it's about performing now. Again, that doesn't really matter in evaluating how good he is (or anyone who misses out) at the moment does it?
So is Zinchenko.

amolbhatia50k

One is there because of the failure of the club to sign effectively in his position whilst the other is there on merit and starting ahead of top class players.
Everyone is where they are on merit. Foden is good but the hype has gone overboard and I thought he'd be weak in that first game and he was. Maybe he'll come good in the next game but it seems a case of thrusting him forward not based on merit. I certainly wouldn't have started him. The likes of Foden and Greenwood should be impact players off the bench right now for England.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Get him central, swap Mount out for Grealish, have them both linking up together and we'll be on our way. Preferably in a 4-3-3 with Sterling and one of Rashford/Sancho out wide, but even in a 4-3-2-1 it should still produce the goods.

romufc

Yes on the bolded
KDB won Player of the year... but okay.

He is in a team which is winning the league, he is 21 and done literally nothing in the game.

People need to relax overhyping players.

bosnian_red

Yes on the bolded
He definitely wasn't better than Cancelo come on... Same with De Bruyne. He scored a few more goals as he played as a forward. They both missed large parts of the season, De bruyne through injury, Foden from warming the bench.

What Foden has going for him is "he's the young new kid on the block" so all the ineffective games are ignored while if KdB doesn't do magic every game then it's a shit game from him. That's literally the difference. There's no way he had a better season than De Bruyne, but especially Cancelo who was brilliant all year.

dbs235

Ridiculous overreactions here :lol: 1) he's 21 years old. 2) When he actually got the ball, he was fine, like when he hit the post, and that touch to control a long ball coming from over his head. 3) Him and Kane were both starved of the ball, so couldn't really do much, and Kane is now being called overrated on here too. Daft.

tomaldinho1

Good player, I think Sancho is better as an RW for Southgate's tactics though. Personally I feel Foden or Mount plays centrally and you use them more in build up play - then you allow Grealish to play who really is the one player we have who can create out of nothing. Scotland are terrible so maybe he'll play both Foden and Mount in front of Rice and go for it but unlikely.

bosnian_red

Must say I disagree with many of the comments. I think he is a real top drawer talent.
Hes definitely a top talent, I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying he isn't a better player than Grealish, Rashford, or Sancho (or Sterling if he is in normal form) as of now. And it's really hard to understand any logic of him being a better talent than Sancho considering they are the same age, and Sancho has been tearing up the Bundesliga since 18 and beats him (and most in the world) when it comes to dribbling, passing and has excellent goalscoring stats himself. It's a question of ... what exactly is Foden better at than Sancho, other than being currently overhyped because he plays in the prem and had half a good season vs Sancho being brilliant for 3 years already.

The type of player he is right now, he should be an impact sub like Greenwood should be for United. He's on the periphery of games far too often. Start him in the easier game, leave him to be a wildcard from the bench in the bigger games. He's capable of great moments but isn't a great player yet, nor a top one yet. When England have 4 genuinely brilliant wide players who each has proven themselves one way or another (and are all relatively young still), there's no way Foden should be in that starting 11. It's the same overhyping as Arteta got because Pep talked him up. Expecting him to run the game with how he actually plays right now is asking for failure as he's not capable of that yet. Maybe in the future. But not yet, and the others are at least equally brilliant players or greater even so they should be ahead of him.

bosnian_red

Ridiculous overreactions here :lol: 1) he's 21 years old. 2) When he actually got the ball, he was fine, like when he hit the post, and that touch to control a long ball coming from over his head. 3) Him and Kane were both starved of the ball, so couldn't really do much, and Kane is now being called overrated on here too. Daft.
Think the issue is that's literally all he did in the game, and its not surprising as he's still not a top player who is capable of running games. Too easy to mark out where he has no impact still. And when you have Rashford, Grealish, Sancho who are all better players as of now, proven to be over the past few years, had more productive seasons, are all brilliantly talented young players still... the question has to be asked why on earth is Foden starting ahead of them? It's not on merit on what they showed over the season, you can argue fitness for Rashford but not the other 2, it's not on current ability over any of the 3, it's not on creativity over Sancho or Grealish and it's not on goalscoring over Rashford or Sancho even based on what he's shown (though I think Foden will be a better goalscorer than Sancho long term). He almost never plays on the right for City either, and has played there far less than Sancho has or Sterling in the past.

He should be an impact sub, like Greenwood should be for United at this point because he too is ineffective/invisible for too often during games still, as is normal for young players. They're moments players who show their talent in spurts but not regularly. What isn't normal for young players is when they run games like Sancho has for a few years, which is why he's on another level as a talent.