g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Should have played today as should Muric. In the grand scheme of things the league cup matters feck all. Disappointed despite the win.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Should have played today as should Muric. In the grand scheme of things the league cup matters feck all. Disappointed despite the win.
Didn't take City too long to outgrow the league cup.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Not really going to learn anything sitting on the bench watching the teammates win the trophy. Still young, so got a long career ahead but I doubt he'll be thrilled to be an unused sub for the final after playing in the previous rounds.

Bubz27

In fairness even when we were shite the league cup wasn't a major trophy in the grand scheme of things.
That's absolute shite. You would've loved to have won the trophy in 2005.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That's absolute shite. You would've loved to have won the trophy in 2005.
Of course I would. What I said is "it wasn't a major trophy". I'd have fecking loved the checkatrade too or whatever it was called in 98/99, does that make it a major trophy?

Bubz27

Of course I would. What I said is "it wasn't a major trophy". I'd have fecking loved the checkatrade too or whatever it was called in 98/99, does that make it a major trophy?
No, you said in the grand scheme of things. And in the grand scheme of things, the league cup trophy would have been a major trophy for you in 2005.

And you being a tad dismissive of it even now is a bit rich in my opinion. Obviously the league cup alone doesn't warrant a successful season, but still, to be 'disappointed' winning it is a bit of a shame.

padr81

Supports
Man City
No, you said in the grand scheme of things. And in the grand scheme of things, the league cup trophy would have been a major trophy for you in 2005.

And you being a tad dismissive of it even now is a bit rich in my opinion. Obviously the league cup alone doesn't warrant a successful season, but still, to be 'disappointed' winning it is a bit of a shame.
I'm not disappointed at winning, I'm disappointed at Pep benching the players who go us there. Foden and Muric should have played today, win or lose. I'll stand by that as more disappointing than winning. It sends out a huge message to the younger players "You are good enough to play this competition we don't care about until its gets to trophy time, then you won't feature."

Laporte hasn't kicked a ball in this competition since he arrived, then he starts the final when he's clearly not up to it, fitness or sickness or whatever. What kind of message does that send to Erik Garcia?

Fernandinho went off today and Laporte too. Hopefully nothing more than stiffness but if we are without both for a month, will it have been a good idea to play full team in the League Cup final? Nope. Will it be nice to say we won a double if we retain the prem again? Of course it will. I'm very disappointed with the team selection regardless of result.

Yes I'm being dismissive but I'd be hypocritical if I was to call it a big win given I called Uniteds a cheap double when Jose won the LC and EL. It is what it is, nice to win? Yup, but was today a kick in the teeth of our youth players? Absolutely.
Holding on to players like Foden, Muric and Garcia is more important to me than the league cup.

Bubz27

I'm not disappointed at winning, I'm disappointed at Pep benching the players who go us there. Foden and Muric should have played today, win or lose. I'll stand by that as more disappointing than winning. It sends out a huge message to the younger players "You are good enough to play this competition we don't care about until its gets to trophy time, then you won't feature."

Laporte hasn't kicked a ball in this competition since he arrived, then he starts the final when he's clearly not up to it, fitness or sickness or whatever. What kind of message does that send to Erik Garcia?

Fernandinho went off today and Laporte too. Hopefully nothing more than stiffness but if we are without both for a month, will it have been a good idea to play full team in the League Cup final? Nope. Will it be nice to say we won a double if we retain the prem again? Of course it will. I'm very disappointed with the team selection regardless of result.

Yes I'm being dismissive but I'd be hypocritical if I was to call it a big win given I called Uniteds a cheap double when Jose won the LC and EL. It is what it is, nice to win? Yup, but was today a kick in the teeth of our youth players? Absolutely.
Holding on to players like Foden, Muric and Garcia is more important to me than the league cup.
Okay, that makes more sense to me. Thanks.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Well said

Mourinho has played Romero in the EL final and that was the right decision....i would have been furious too if De Gea would have played in the final.

For me it was clear that Muric and Foden wouldn't play today for obvious reasons.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
6 goals and 1 assist or 1 every 114 minutes has been a decent return. I wonder if Pep will start him against the mighty Swansea at weekend. I doubt it.
He's started every other domestic cup game apart from the Milk Cup Final so I'd probably assume he will

JamiePollocksOG

Supports
Manchester City
He really is a quality player.

I have to say though, these comparison's to Silva i just don't see. He ia being talked of as Silva's replacement when he leaves.

The reason for that opinion is that Silva is the key that unlocks the opposition defence. He plays ball's that only a handful of players can make.

Foden on the other hand glides through midfield, always looking to find space and create space for others. The way he gets into the box so often i think we have a similar player to Frank Lampard, amd that is not a complaint.

Any team in their right mind would love a Frank Lampard in their team for the next 15yrs.

Interested to hear what player Foden reminds them of or is he a natural successor to Silva?

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
He really is a quality player.

I have to say though, these comparison's to Silva i just don't see. He ia being talked of as Silva's replacement when he leaves.

The reason for that opinion is that Silva is the key that unlocks the opposition defence. He plays ball's that only a handful of players can make.

Foden on the other hand glides through midfield, always looking to find space and create space for others. The way he gets into the box so often i think we have a similar player to Frank Lampard, amd that is not a complaint.

Any team in their right mind would love a Frank Lampard in their team for the next 15yrs.

Interested to hear what player Foden reminds them of or is he a natural successor to Silva?
I think some of the Silva comparisons come about because they're a similar build and left footed. I agree that Foden seems to have slotted in a bit deeper than Silva has played for the majority of his career, so we're seeing a lot more of those late runs into the box. I suppose that's a bit like Lampard, but he reminds me more of an early career Paul Scholes? Before United fans jump on me, no idea if he'll ever be as good as Scholes, but I see similarities in style of play.

But back to Silva, I think Foden plays a bit more directly than Silva and will likely score more goals (whereas Silva is an assist machine). I hope he learns from Silva how to control the tempo of games.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think some of the Silva comparisons come about because they're a similar build and left footed. I agree that Foden seems to have slotted in a bit deeper than Silva has played for the majority of his career, so we're seeing a lot more of those late runs into the box. I suppose that's a bit like Lampard, but he reminds me more of an early career Paul Scholes? Before United fans jump on me, no idea if he'll ever be as good as Scholes, but I see similarities in style of play.

But back to Silva, I think Foden plays a bit more directly than Silva and will likely score more goals (whereas Silva is an assist machine). I hope he learns from Silva how to control the tempo of games.

he reminds me more of a Luis Enrique type player tbh, he was a goal machine at Academy level and I hope that carries through

Classical Mechanic

His best position is as an right sided inside forward, similar to Mahrez, in my opinion. Its where he's played for England a lot and makes the most of his goal scoring abilities, cutting inside on his left. We haven't seen it at City in the seniors yet but he has brilliant low shot from distance, he generates a lot of power from it he's a real danger in that position.

I see why he works as a 8 though as his ability to control and turn and transition through midfield is brilliant too.

Mick321

If they are 7-0 up v Spurs on agg in leg 2 he may get 10 minutes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Pep has absolutely no faith in his ability whatever. He doesn't get enough criticism for his youth policy.

Renegade

It is crazy how City essentially play their strongest side in all 4 competitions. Swansea away ffs. Give the boy a game.

haram

Pep has absolutely no faith in his ability whatever. He doesn't get enough criticism for his youth policy.
Think that is unfair on Pep, he does rate Foden. Although he would rather play other players and he should be criticised for the lack of using youth.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
He should've started today, no doubt about that. I'd have had B. Silva on the wing, and D. Silva, Gundogan, and Foden as the midfield three.

Mahrez preferably on a beach in Siberia somewhere.

Classical Mechanic

Think that is unfair on Pep, he does rate Foden. Although he would rather play other players and he should be criticised for the lack of using youth.
Pep has a massive ego and breaking records with title wins and having terms like 'genius' applied to him is far more important to him than promoting youth. He takes zero risks, not even the slightest risk. The antithesis to Sir Alex in that regard.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Pep has a massive ego and breaking records with title wins and having terms like 'genius' applied to him is far more important to him than promoting youth. He takes zero risks, not even the slightest risk. The antithesis to Sir Alex in that regard.
I don't think he should be taking risks. The FA Cup is a massively important trophy to win, so he should play the best available team. But I think Foden should've been a part of the best available team today, so he should've started.

BaseFishing

I understand the criticism but is there any other 18 year old in one of Europe's top teams (fighting for 3 trophies) who has played as many minutes as he has?