Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Just because he launched into ibra wouldn't really mean he didn't get hurt.
Still not seeing whatever it is you're trying to prove. 2 very different situations, if Valdes was hurt at all, he caused it, Jones was clearing the ball and was caught late. Jones did not time waste and generally be a twat for the rest of the game.

Robbie Boy

Fans boo players for this kind of shit all the time. No need for people to be so sensitive about it.

prath92

Still not seeing whatever it is you're trying to prove. 2 very different situations, if Valdes was hurt at all, he caused it, Jones was clearing the ball and was caught late. Jones did not time waste and generally be a twat for the rest of the game.
The point here being Valdes had nothing to do with the goal being disallowed any more thanJones did in getting feghouli sent off. Valdes clashed into ibra getting himself injured. Ref adjudged it a foul and disallowed the goal. Jones won the ball but was caught by the player injuring him. Ref adjudged it dangerous play and sent feghouli off. Both players were booed from that point on. These things are quite common. Nothing classless about it at all.

Red_toad

The point here being Valdes had nothing to do with the goal being disallowed any more thanJones did in getting feghouli sent off. Valdes clashed into ibra getting himself injured. Ref adjudged it a foul and disallowed the goal. Jones won the ball but was caught by the player injuring him. Ref adjudged it dangerous play and sent feghouli off. Both players were booed from that point on. These things are quite common. Nothing classless about it at all.
Had jones jumped into the other player then rolled round of the floor like a twat, then he'd have deserved to be on the receiving end from the crowd.
What on earth made you think Valdes was injured? Was pretty obvious he was play acting. He was play acting to make it look like he'd been fouled, which he hadn't. Jones was fouled, no one can say any different. Pointing out the differences and you'll come back with how it was all the same. It wasn't...

prath92

Had jones jumped into the other player then rolled round of the floor like a twat, then he'd have deserved to be on the receiving end from the crowd.
What on earth made you think Valdes was injured? Was pretty obvious he was play acting. He was play acting to make it look like he'd been fouled, which he hadn't. Jones was fouled, no one can say any different. Pointing out the differences and you'll come back with how it was all the same. It wasn't...
Valdes clattered into ibra at full force. It's quite possible he got injured. It looked quite realistic as well. Frankly both are quite similar and there's a chance that Jones could be play acting too.

You seem to think that only people who are fouled get injured. People could get injured whether it's a foul or not.

The point being that booing is very common. We do it. Nothing about it.

Red_toad

Valdes clattered into ibra at full force. It's quite possible he got injured. It looked quite realistic as well. Frankly both are quite similar and there's a chance that Jones could be play acting too.

You seem to think that only people who are fouled get injured. People could get injured whether it's a foul or not.

The point being that booing is very common. We do it. Nothing about it.
Valdes fouled Ibra, Jones was fouled. not similar and Jones was unfairly booed. Two incidents nothing alike, yet you're harping on still about how they were.

Valdes was booed for play acting and time wasting, generally very unsportsmanlike behaviour for an ex United player, playing at OT. Jones never played for West Ham.

I Have not made any comment about players only being injured if they've been fouled. Yet more made up tripe..

Go watch some replays of the game. As your opinion/ recollection is very fuzzy, at best.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Fans boo players for this kind of shit all the time. No need for people to be so sensitive about it.
agree. if you go to matches, you see this sort of shit happen all the time. I just shurg. In fact it is a good opportunity to wind up their fans which I think our supporters did.

West Ham. Nothing club. Now they have nothing atmosphere in their souless stadium.

Mike09

What I think he has improved the most this season isn't about stay away from injury but he doesn't make rush and unnecessary sliding tackles / challenges anymore which is also a benefit for him to stay fit.

PeteManic

Does anyone think that Jones and Rojo have improved and impressed as Mou generally asks his CBs to do little else than defend? I know that sounds overly simplistic, but there is no nonsense of being good on the ball, or passing out from the back. The sitting midfielder (Carrick or Herrera) and the FBs are those responsible for moving the ball. Essentially Jones and Rojo are just stoppers, there to block and stop and organise the back line, and it suits them pretty well.

Revan

Assumptionman
Does anyone think that Jones and Rojo have improved and impressed as Mou generally asks his CBs to do little else than defend? I know that sounds overly simplistic, but there is no nonsense of being good on the ball, or passing out from the back. The sitting midfielder (Carrick or Herrera) and the FBs are those responsible for moving the ball. Essentially Jones and Rojo are just stoppers, there to block and stop and organise the back line, and it suits them pretty well.
Rojo is doing a lot of passing from the back, in addition to communicating a lot with Jones and LB. Of course, he is not Blind on that aspect of the game, but he is doing quite well.

What is impressing me most, is that the partnership is just working well, they have a good understanding of each other, cover well for each other (and for the fullbacks). Long may it continue!

ti vu

What I think he has improved the most this season isn't about stay away from injury but he doesn't make rush and unnecessary sliding tackles / challenges anymore which is also a benefit for him to stay fit.
The improved calmness doesn't take away whatever helping him stay injury free for the moment. Just a season ago, it sounds like he got injured just by driving to training ground, unless he tackles everything he sees on the street.

Rojo is doing a lot of passing from the back, in addition to communicating a lot with Jones and LB. Of course, he is not Blind on that aspect of the game, but he is doing quite well.

What is impressing me most, is that the partnership is just working well, they have a good understanding of each other, cover well for each other (and for the fullbacks). Long may it continue!
While Blind has better play making ability, it's also more predictable as he usually took longer for his long ball, and manager targeted him when we not in possession phase leading to we have a deeper defensive line (not box camping but deeper than with RoJones combination). With RoJones we can create tempo from the back and move the ball quickly from side to side. Even tease up opponent attacker to leave their position and ball chasing. That helps breaking opponent defensive shape a bit.

Last season, the little best football we played all season coincided with Carrick and Blind playing as our CBs, when we could control tempo from deep and move the ball around quickly and effortlessly. However, Carrick and Blind can't offer proper defensive assurance, understandably due to they're not CB by trade.

Last edited:

Mike09

The improved calmness doesn't take away whatever helping him stay injury free for the moment. Just a season ago, it sounds like he got injured just by driving to training ground, unless he tackles everything he sees on the street.
It doesnt take away but it will reduce the chance of it. Thats why i said it is also a benefit for him to stay fit.

AR87

Every game I see a few passes from them where they bypass the FB and deliver a ball to the wide player on the flanks directly. Smalling came in yesterday with Rojo moving out to LB and you could see the difference in distribution.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Last game was probably his worst since coming back from injury. He seems to stay back nowadays as well, not surging forward anymore. Might help him stay focused as he's less of a headless chicken

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, P.Jones was a running joke - always injured...does this guy actually play football..etc.
Jose joins us, tells us that Jose teams always have fewer injuries than other managers and P.Jones no longer gets injured.
What voodoo is being used here?

Sylar

Looked just as comfortable as the LCB, some good front foot defending today, didn't offer Reading's forwards any space.
Agreed, moreso than Smalling. If it is smalling/jones for Liverpool, he needs to play this side and just let Smalling stay on the other side.

I do like when he gets the ball and drives out. He looks more comfy doing that too. So nice hes had a run of games and showing what his potential talk was all about.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
I like the way Jones is playing this year & Mourino is probably the reason for it. The emphasis is on defending first and taking less risk is good for Jones' game. Both Smalling and Rojos (but particularly Smalling) are better equipped to carry the ball when needed leaving Jones to read the game and be the stopper. Solid game but I would have preferred for him to be rested today in favour of Rojo, but injuries cannot be predicted. With Bailly gone I hope Rojo's "muscle" injury is only minor!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Paul Ince banging on about him overreacting in that tackle v West Ham to get the other player sent off. 'You don't like to see English players trying to get opponents sent off...' etc etc...

ti vu

Looks comfortable as the LCB which could be crucial.
He's more comfortable than Smalling, (perhaps Bailly too?), but his distribution is actual effected playing on left side: take longer to sort his body stance & feet out at time, more difficult to spread the ball to left side if being pressed and narrow his passing angle, spreading to the right slow our play down...

Compare his performance as RCB (which I personally still see the need for further improvement), assessing him as LCB is more about short term functionality than expectation for long term.

Last edited:

Devil may care

He's better on the right imo and Jones - Rojo is better than Smalling - Jones.
He's more comfortable than Smalling, (perhaps Bailly too?), but his distribution is actual effected playing on left side: take longer to sort his body stance & feet out at time, more difficult to spread the ball to left side if being pressed and narrow his passing angle, spreading to the right slow our play down...

Compare his performance as RCB (which I personally still see the need for further improvement), assessing him as LCB is more about short term functionality than expectation for long term.
I agree with what you'ree both saying, it's not ideal, I just think of our 3 right footed CB's he's the only one that looks comfortable on the left.

Wind back 18 months and people were scoffing at centre back sides.
Yeah, I think LvG's obsession with the stronger foot took it too far but I do think there are some players that simply can't play on the side of their weaker foot and it's important in your 4 CB's that you have 2 for each channel.

Special_One

Speaks so well. On a good run of form and currently injury free. That's the most important thing.

Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Looked like the fecking hunchback of notre dame with a gammy leg when he gave the ball away then. I'll be fecked if he's as good as everyone has been making out lately

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
Cost us the goal really with a routine ball he should've had under control

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Still has a mistake in him in big games, looks like he hasn't improved in that department at all, despite his good run of form. Shame, that was really stupid play to give away the ball.

Minimalist

Definitely has a mistake in him but thankfully it wasn't taken advantage of. Looks okay in general but composure isn't great today.

Status
Not open for further replies.