Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Im wondering if its the side hes playing on. His best games with Rojo was when he was RCB. I do wonder how he would do with Bailly at RCB and him LCB. But im now convinced Rojo is the only CB we have that looks comfy on that side (being left footed and all).

CM

Im wondering if its the side hes playing on. His best games with Rojo was when he was RCB. I do wonder how he would do with Bailly at RCB and him LCB. But im now convinced Rojo is the only CB we have that looks comfy on that side (being left footed and all).
It may go some way to explaining his poor positioning but there was more to it than just that tonight. The clumsy side of his game resurfaced a couple of times (free kick early on springs to mind), he lost out on quite a few of the aerial duels and he didn't look good on the ball either.

He played on the right against Liverpool too and wasn't very good in that game either. I think it's probably more likely that we're just seeing his flaws creep back into his game after a good run of form.

Zoo

I'm not convinced. Want to see Rojo and Bailly given a chance together.

Tompo

He's just not good enough, at the level we hope to be performing at he's a weak link.

Quality opposition forwards I am sure relish the chance to play against him.

Irrational.

He was LCB tonight, didn't look comfortable at all.

Our CB pairing has to be Jones/ Bailly + Rojo. Maybe LvG was onto something with this left and right footed CB malarkey.

Swaters16

He was LCB tonight, didn't look comfortable at all.

Our CB pairing has to be Jones/ Bailly + Rojo. Maybe LvG was onto something with this left and right footed CB malarkey.
He obviously was, because players obviously have sides they prefer playing on. We have left backs and right backs and no one says "it does't make sense they can't play on both sides". People were blinded by their dislike for LVG to the point they couldn't acknowledge blatant facts

Sylar

He obviously was, because players obviously have sides they prefer playing on. We have left backs and right backs and no one says "it does't make sense they can't play on both sides". People were blinded by their dislike for LVG to the point they couldn't acknowledge blatant facts
Saying that, Vidic wasnt really left footed, was he, which was what @Irrational. was alluding to. But obviously agree on players having sides they prefer to play on.
Used to think a few years ago it shouldnt matter to a professional player (mainly at CB anyway) but it clearly does.

It may go some way to explaining his poor positioning but there was more to it than just that tonight. The clumsy side of his game resurfaced a couple of times (free kick early on springs to mind), he lost out on quite a few of the aerial duels and he didn't look good on the ball either.

He played on the right against Liverpool too and wasn't very good in that game either. I think it's probably more likely that we're just seeing his flaws creep back into his game after a good run of form.
Didnt think he was too bad at Liverpool, just poor on the ball. But saying that, I think the early free kick was a smart move by him and one he was right in doing in terms of a "professional foul".

ti vu

Shocking game. All over the place. This is the typical game that would scar Jones being shite into CAF's minds. I think this is the end of Smalling Jones partnership. They may cover for each other defensively at decent level but our build up was hit hard with Smalling's inability on ball and Jones distribution was worsen playing on left side of CB. Rojo at LB is subpar and add Darmian as RB :houllier: Fecking recipe for disaster!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Still not as bad as Smallling or Darmian.
Seriously these posts (not just yours but that of many others) reminds me of the Carroll-Howard time. We kept switching from one goalkeeper to another hoping that they would give us some stability. In reality neither of them was good enough.

Its time we spend big in defence. Darmian, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Shaw...they need to be sent on the bench or out of OT.

the hea

Excellent half from Jones. If the rest of the players was playing anywhere near his level today we'd be running away with this.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wish he played for 5 more minutes. Would have fetched me extra 5 points in FPL

klayton88

MOTM for me but had to waste a substitute (Martial?) on him coming off because he's made out of rainbow drops.

the hea

He was excellent until he had to come off, light years ahead of anyone else on the pitch. Hopefully it's nothing serious and he'll be back in the team soon.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was having great game but then the inevitable thing that we all thought would happen few weeks ago happened. It was fun while it lasted, altough he was actually far from great in last two or three games(altough it didn't cost us tbf, and he was great tonight).

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Really annoyed that he got injured by pulling his hamstring. Waste of a sub and now we lose half of our excellent and in form CB partnership.

Irrational.

He was absolutely immense tonight until his injury. As was Rojo.

You only have to look at how Smalling dawdled leading to Markovic hitting the post. I'm dreading the next few games.

Get back soon, Phil. He must be gutted, after such a tremendous run of games as well.

RonaldoVII

He was our best player by far until he got injured. Shame as a hamstring injury wont be a quick one to recover from, especially for Jones.

Special_One

Bruised foot? Swear it was a hamstring pull? Nonetheless he seems to think he'll be back soon enough

Virgil

Do so hope that it is only a bruised foot and he quickly recovers. What is abundantly evident is that the combination of Jones on the right and Rojo on the left was beginning to forge one hell of a central defensive partnership that neither Bailly nor Smalling would easily displace.

Reactions: Sultan
Status
Not open for further replies.